Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Women's Sports

Panther Women's Sports Discuss all things related to Panther women's sports.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
vbfan19

Default VB spring/summer 2016

Just wanted to start a thread for the upcoming spring scrimmages, as well as offseason chatter.

I believe UNI will be hosting their spring "tournament" on April 16. Don't really have any details other than Iowa will be there.

Also heard through the grapevine that UNI will once again be hosting a non-conference tournament this fall. Not quite as high profile as last season's (with Kentucky, Creighton, and USC), but still very cool that they are hosting.
I think it might be a three-day event, with teams including Syracuse, Northwestern, and North Dakota State, and possibly others (though there is always the chance that the gossip I'm hearing could be off, or sometimes scheduling changes before fall rolls around).

I believe UNI will also be playing another round of the USC/Kentucky/Creighton rotating tourney, with this year being either in Omaha or LA.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #2
otter

Default Re: VB spring/summer 2016

Any thoughts on expectations for next years team? Think we will make it back to the tournament?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
'70 Grad

What? The mighty Hog eyes know the way to Cedar Falls, at least in the spring?

Remind me - is this a change, or have we scrimmaged them like this lately?

(The two seniors were not being counted on too heavily at the end of last year. I would think we would be as strong or stronger this fall.)

Last edited by '70 Grad; 03-09-2016 at 12:21 PM.
'70 Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
vbfan19

Iowa has played in the spring scrimmages at UNI at least the past couple years. They just haven't played each other during the actual (fall) season since 2005. I wouldn't be surprised if they popped back up on the schedule sometime in the next few seasons. Bre Payton (who was a multiple-year All-American setter at UNI) has been the Director of VB Operations at Iowa the past couple years, and was just recently promoted to interim assistant coach (news release)

As for UNI, I think they definitely have potential for a good year. The main rotation is all returning (as far as I know), with a strong senior-to-be class and some younger players who saw significant playing time as sophomores and freshmen, and some of the ones that redshirted last season have strong potential too.

Many of the other top teams in the conference have strong returning rosters as well, though, so it could well be another tight conference race.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
in_the_stands

I had thought it was Bobbie who wouldn't play Iowa, not the other way around. Iowa typically being so bad that even a win over them wasn't worth the opportunity cost of not playing a better/more visible opponent, in order for us to be viable as an NCAA at-large.
in_the_stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
UNIAlum95
Purple and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_stands View Post
I had thought it was Bobbie who wouldn't play Iowa, not the other way around. Iowa typically being so bad that even a win over them wasn't worth the opportunity cost of not playing a better/more visible opponent, in order for us to be viable as an NCAA at-large.
Iowa was always willing to play UNI as long as they never had to play in Cedar Falls...

Sent from my GS6
If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times
UNIAlum95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Interesting Iowa volleyball note: Bre Payton just got elevated from director of operations to interim Asst. Coach.

By the way, they were 12-21 and 2-18 in their conference last year. Not exactly a resume-padder for the Panthers.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
in_the_stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
Iowa was always willing to play UNI as long as they never had to play in Cedar Falls...

Sent from my GS6
I might be mixed up on this, but I thought it was Bluder who didn't like bringing the Hawkeyes into the West Gym. Which seemed unfortunate, coming from one of our own alums.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
sivert

The B1G is tough in VB. If they're going to have wins, they need them in the OOC. And RPI-wise, they aren't good for us. So I'd guess no body wants a match. Spring, yeah.
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
The B1G is tough in VB. If they're going to have wins, they need them in the OOC. And RPI-wise, they aren't good for us. So I'd guess no body wants a match. Spring, yeah.
And yet even going 12-21 last season, they still ended up with an RPI of 91 (better than half of the MVC).

I think their new coach has that program moving in a positive direction. They're probably never going to be top of the conference, but I don't think they'll stay locked in the cellar either.

Maybe not worth going out of the way to get them on the schedule, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them pop up some time in the next few years. But if it doesn't happen, I don't have a problem with that either. Bobbi and the staff generally know what they're doing when it comes to scheduling.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
in_the_stands

More info on the April 16 tournament:

http://k985.com/cv-sports-uni-volley...kback=CVsports
Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
vbfan19

fall schedule is out: http://unipanthers.com/news/2016/4/2...e-matches.aspx

Quote:
Aug. 26-27 at Michigan Invitational – Saint Louis, Miami (Ohio), Michigan
Sept. 2-3 at USC Tournament – Creighton, USC, Kentucky
Sept. 9 vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Kansas City, Mo.)
Sept. 9 at UMKC
Sept. 10 at Kansas
Sept. 13 Iowa State, 7 p.m.
Sept. 16-18 UNI Tournament – Illinois State, Northwestern, North Dakota State, Syracuse
12 matches against teams that made the NCAA tournament last year, including 2 seeded teams, a final four team, an elite 8 team, a sweet 16 team, and 3 second round teams

Similar to last year, the MVC schedule has been compressed to allow an extra weekend of non-conference play. UNI will host Illinois State as part of the Panthers' home non-conference tourney, and Indiana State will come to the McLeod on a Monday following UNI's home matches against MSU and WSU
Old 04-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
Panther AC

Surprised to see the latest addition to next year's team from Dike-New Hartford was only an honorable mention all-state player at the small school level. I know the staff does a great job developing players but did we miss out on a higher-profile player?
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
vbfan19

Because UNI volleyball has never ever had success with small school Iowa kids before. Nope, never.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Panther AC

I acknowledged the development of small-school players in my post. That doesn't change the fact that we offered her very late in the recruiting process. It was simply a question to determine if someone else had backed-out or if someone else left the team. With you being the person who most frequently posts about volleyball, I thought you might have some inside info. It doesn't require a snarky reply.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
vbfan19

I don't really follow recruiting at all, so I don't know anything about that.
And my apologies, the squabbling and snarkiness in other discussions that I read on these boards must have had a detrimental effect on me.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #17
Panther AC

Apology accepted.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Do we know if she is on scholarship? This is the time of year when walk ons who sign financial letters of agreement (or some phrase like that) are able to be announced. I believe Martino and Conrey were announced around this time of year.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
vbfan19

not UNI-related, but it appears that 4 players have left Drake's team (or at least they are no longer on the roster), leaving the roster with only 9 total players. though it doesn't have any freshmen (updated for this fall's status), so perhaps they just haven't added the incoming recruits yet. Still, that's a fairly small roster.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #20
'70 Grad

Because they are our travel partner, it is not good for us to have them be craptastic, right?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #21
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Grad View Post
Because they are our travel partner, it is not good for us to have them be craptastic, right?
with the scheduling setup of the MVC, it is certainly beneficial to have a travel partner that is reasonably competitive, so that opposing teams can't focus solely on gameplanning for their matches against you.

Unfortunately, it has been a while since UNI has enjoyed that privilege.
The last time UNI's travel partner has had a conference record better than .500 was 2002.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #22
Panther AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Do we know if she is on scholarship? This is the time of year when walk ons who sign financial letters of agreement (or some phrase like that) are able to be announced. I believe Martino and Conrey were announced around this time of year.
The article that was in the WCF Courier and the release on the UNI website said Coach Peterson "signed" her. That sounds like a scholarship offer to me.

Help me understand: if a student-athlete is walking on and hence not receiving a scholarship, there wouldn't be any "financial letter of agreement" to sign, right?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

I believe that once the student athlete gets admitted and signs on to accept academic or financial aid (school, state, fed), it is then permissible for a school to make a public release.

Conrey's press release last year: http://www.unipanthers.com/news/2015...px?path=mbball
Martino 'signs' with UNI: http://www.unipanthers.com/news/2010...px?path=mbball

So, that's what I'm saying is that I wonder if she's a walk on or scholarship student athlete.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #24
vbfan19

Looking at UNI's upcoming volleyball opponents in terms of the final numbers/rankings from last season (may not be an exact assesment, given how rosters change via graduation, transfers, etc. But its the offseason and I'm bored).

The average RPI of all regular season opponents is 104, with a non-conference average of 65 and an MVC average of 133.
Pablo rankings are similar, with total season average being 106, non-con 62, and MVC 138.

Two top-ten road matches at USC (4 RPI, 5 Pablo) and at Kansas (6 RPI, 6 Pablo), as well as matches against Creighton (14 RPI, 27 Pablo), Kentucky (24 RPI, 32 Pablo), Iowa State (26 RPI, 28 Pablo), and Michigan (31 RPI, 18 Pablo).

The top of the MVC has good rankings: Wichita State (30/37), Missouri State (35/62), SIU (41/72). But the bottom is pretty bad, with Drake, Evansville, and Bradley all being 200+.

Last edited by vbfan19; 06-26-2016 at 06:27 PM.