Follow us on Twitter


Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #211
casbern
Purple for Life
 
casbern's Avatar
 
Last Online: 12-12-2015 04:21 PM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Hill
Posts: 2,451
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
They are not all JC guys some are high schoolers, they are often times players who didn't play much AAU ball. As recruiting services love AAU tournaments because they can evaluate many players at once. Also I am sure I have said it before but you are seeing the Ali Farokmanesh effect with this class.
Ahh.. the good ol' AFE.
__________________
Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.






casbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #212
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold
 
panther-state's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:52 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 7,076
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
They are not all JC guys some are high schoolers, they are often times players who didn't play much AAU ball. As recruiting services love AAU tournaments because they can evaluate many players at once. Also I am sure I have said it before but you are seeing the Ali Farokmanesh effect with this class.
Correct, I didn't mean to make it definitive and insinuate that they are all JUCO guys. Should have proof read.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #213
achrist70
Senior Member
 
achrist70's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE of the Dome
Posts: 5,773
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Oh I didn't take it that way, I just wanted to clarify on how many kids are evaluated.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #214
achrist70
Senior Member
 
achrist70's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE of the Dome
Posts: 5,773
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...460/class/2008

Great example of how they evaluate, completely wrong here.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #215
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold
 
panther-state's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:52 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 7,076
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...460/class/2008

Great example of how they evaluate, completely wrong here.
Exactly. It's a lot of speculation.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #216
DownGoesKansas
Senior Member
 
DownGoesKansas's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:36 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KC
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...460/class/2008

Great example of how they evaluate, completely wrong here.
To be fair, Wrong is probably not the best word. Incomplete would be better because a "40" means they have not been evaluated. A 78 for Pehl basically means they do not think is a a high mid major type recruit. Which judging by his results so far is pretty accurate.

I also found it interesting for last years class that Martino was ranked the same as Rank and his position rank was higher. Also Buss was ranked higher than Rank and they were both listed as PF's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can not wait for basketball season.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #217
achrist70
Senior Member
 
achrist70's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE of the Dome
Posts: 5,773
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
To be fair, Wrong is probably not the best word. Incomplete would be better because a "40" means they have not been evaluated. A 78 for Pehl basically means they do not think is a a high mid major type recruit. Which judging by his results so far is pretty accurate.

I also found it interesting for last years class that Martino was ranked the same as Rank and his position rank was higher. Also Buss was ranked higher than Rank and they were both listed as PF's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can not wait for basketball season.
I really think that Buss was considered a PF in High School because in a Iowa 3A school it is hard for a 6'8" kid not to be a post, there aren't that many 6'8" kids. But I think since he was got here he plays more out side, but I think he can still go down low.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #218
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:23 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,266
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

While the ranking difference between a player at 70 vs 75 may be negligible, one thing you can say is that the scouts do see enough players to get a general idea of an athletic skill set pecking order. A 90 vs 70 is a real difference. That is not the end all be all, but one key point.

The good news is the overall trend of our recruits has improved. Going from mostly overlooked players (40 rankings) that were capable of being coached up to players with a higher/better starting point only brings hope for the future. The players that are coming in last year and this year look (on paper) to be more well rounded players than we have historically attracted. Hopefully the coaching staff can raise their level of play in a similar manner.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #219
DownGoesKansas
Senior Member
 
DownGoesKansas's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:36 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KC
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
I really think that Buss was considered a PF in High School because in a Iowa 3A school it is hard for a 6'8" kid not to be a post, there aren't that many 6'8" kids. But I think since he was got here he plays more out side, but I think he can still go down low.
Good point, but if he is really his listed height, how many 6'8'' players in the Valley have mainly played positions other that the 4 or 5. Not saying he will not but over time I would expect him to play more at 4. But that is just a guess.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #220
achrist70
Senior Member
 
achrist70's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE of the Dome
Posts: 5,773
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

He always warmed up with the wings this year. Looks to have a decent shot, and with his height should be able to get it off.

How many 6'8" or taller players have played wing in the Valley, I will give you one Larry Bird!
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #221
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold
 
panther-state's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:52 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 7,076
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
While the ranking difference between a player at 70 vs 75 may be negligible, one thing you can say is that the scouts do see enough players to get a general idea of an athletic skill set pecking order. A 90 vs 70 is a real difference. That is not the end all be all, but one key point.
Good point. But I think ESPN puts a lot of weight on # of stars and who is looking at who (this is going more off of what I see in their football ratings than basketball ratings, so definitely not a spot on observation...plus it's me). You'll see some guys ratings rocket if Kansas is taking a look and sometimes will lose points when they sign with a "lower" team. I'm not saying that their ratings hold 0 value and meaning, most of these guys are getting evaluated by people who know what they're talking about and make a living doing this, but I wouldn't read too much into my first post, especially with those 40 guys skewing those average ratings.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #222
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word
 
Last Online: Today 03:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

I know it'd be a little bit of work, but I think it'd be cool to hyperlink our recruits to the thread about them committing. Just a thought.
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #223
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan
 
Khan4Cats's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-25-2017 08:15 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North of the Dome
Posts: 3,434
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose39 View Post
I know it'd be a little bit of work, but I think it'd be cool to hyperlink our recruits to the thread about them committing. Just a thought.
Why? We just hand out scholarships to whoever walks off the street or legacies anyways. I hear we have an early offer out to Kwadzo's kid for the class of 2025.
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #224
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word
 
Last Online: Today 03:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

...fml
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #225
07PantherAlum
Junior Member
 
Last Online: 02-06-2013 08:41 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 27
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Did we get any commits for 2012-13? Being out of the area makes it harder to follow.
07PantherAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #226
Panther-Sheik
Senior Member
 
Panther-Sheik's Avatar
 
Last Online: 02-25-2017 02:27 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 4,952
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PantherAlum View Post
Did we get any commits for 2012-13? Being out of the area makes it harder to follow.
No scholarships available, so no for next year.
__________________
Panther-Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #227
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold
 
panther-state's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:52 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 7,076
Default Re: Official Panther Basketball Commitment List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
2011
Guards
Jevon Lyle 6'2" 175lbs CG Kansas City, MO. (Archbishop O'Hara HS)
Deon Mitchell 6'1" 180lbs PG Pflugerville, TX (Pflugerville HS)
Matt Bohannon 6'3" 190lbs SG Marion, IA (Linn-Mar HS)

Forwards
Marvin Singleton Jr. 6'6" 225lbs CF Hopkins, MN (Hopkins HS)
Seth Tuttle 6'8" 210lbs Sheffield, IA (West Fork HS)
What an AWFUL recruitment class. 4 players combined for only 66 pts on 18-34 shooting tonight in an embarassing 95-81 win. Throw in a measly 15 rebs, 14 assists and 3 blocks between Deon, Seth, Matt and Marvin. Just absolutely pathetic that we would allow players like this onto our team.


panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.


© Copyright 2004-2017 Panther Nation.  All rights reserved.
PantherNation.com is not affiliated with the University Of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panthers.