Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
strike00

Default Jevon Lyle

apparently UNI got a 2011 commit from Jevon Lyle. A 6 ft Combo guard out of KC.

someone posted on valleytalk about it and Scout.com has him listed as committed.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=4562334
strike00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Re: Jevon Lyle

Jevon at one time was ranked as one of the top 50 players in the country.

http://www.hoopsusa.com/f_viewtopic.cfm?trnbr=5177

#201 here...
http://illinoishsbasketball.iwannafo...opic.php?t=731

For those who were there last weekend in the McLeod, you saw Jevon playing pick up with the guys.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/membe...-6thGrade.html

Was rated as the #11 player in the 2011 class...when he was in 6th grade.

I wonder what this does with Estan Tyler, from Minnesota? He had an offer on the table...and plays point. I hope we still have strong interest, b/c he seemed to have a great summer and could be another great guard from the Minneapolis area for the Panthers. I'm glad Jevon committed though. We should have at least 2 scholys available.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 09-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
JCPanthers
Super Moderator

How in the heck can he be a combo guard at 5'3"?
JCPanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
UNIhoops

http://www.eteamz.com/brettcomer/ima...CityBruins.JPG

I think he's on the front far right.
UNIhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

How tall is he? One says 5'3 (which I doubt), and the other says 5'7. Both of which are really small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Those were from at least 2 years ago, some longer than that. He's 6'0"/6'1".
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://bradleyfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13114
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
CR Panther

But how are we set for bigs? Are we planning on leaning exclusively on Jake and Austin for 4 years? I'd like to see some high-quality bigs on the horizon. Athletic 6'8" or greater.

Is that greedy? I think it is a need.
CR Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
merkpanthers

I agree, we need some guys on the inside because Pehl hasn't shown me anything besides that he is tall and I've watched him since he was at least a Junior at CF.
Coach Whisenhunt 1/18/09. "There was never any complaints about not being named the starter, all he wanted was an opportunity and he took advantage of it. Kurt is probably one of the greatest individuals you'll ever meet. Kurt worked hard on a lot of things that a lot of times older quarterbacks aren't willing to do. That's a credit to his humility and his competitive drive, and the reason that we are here today in great part is what Kurt Warner has done for us."
merkpanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Panther View Post
But how are we set for bigs? Are we planning on leaning exclusively on Jake and Austin for 4 years? I'd like to see some high-quality bigs on the horizon. Athletic 6'8" or greater.

Is that greedy? I think it is a need.
http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=25487

UNI got Nate Buss. He's an athletic '4' at 6'8" and still growing. He has similar game to A. Koch, just a little thinner at this time. Chip Rank is a 6'6" power forward who will play similarly to that of O'Rear, but maybe has a better jumper than Lucas. I'd love to see a 6'8"+ athletic forward/center, but so is most of the other schools in the country! It's interesting, b/c we have been so spoiled with Eglseder and Koch the last four years. When UNI is out recruiting trying to replace these two, they are looking at guys who are going to BCS type schools. It's going to be tough to replace those two.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

What I want to know is, How in the heck did Drake get the recruits that they have been getting lately? I am impressed, at least on paper, of the kind of players that they got. I would love to see us get some of those players that they got.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Drake's recruits are ok, but they aren't phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination. Illinois is a down year in recruiting circles for HS talent. They got Karl Madison (which was UNI's back-up option to Josh Gasser), Rayvonte Rice is a 6'3" small forward, and Jeremy Jeffers is 6'5" wing forward who is probably better than the others. Only Jeffers had 'major' offers. Madison and Rice are top 15 recruits in Illinois, but neither had high major or even high mid-major offers. Drake has a new coach, some mover and shaker assistants, one fantastic year of exposure, and alot of playing time to offer. They are going to get some guys that are pretty good. However, until the program stabilizes and shows consistently that they can get it done, then, I wouldn't be too worried about who Drake recruits.

What kind of rankings involving these 3 make you covet them?

Koch and Elgseder both turned down 'major' offers. So did Travo. The others have committed to UNI at an early point in their recruitment where other teams didn't have chances to make offers.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
Gboom23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
The others have committed to UNI at an early point in their recruitment where other teams didn't have chances to make offers.
I think early commitments are key for recruiting on the mid-major level. I love when we grab someone early on before other schools have the chance to get excited about him. On the other hand, the recruit could turn out to be a bust (maybe end up not even playing at all).

Hopefully Jevon keeps up his hard work and turns out to be another great guard up at UNI!
Gboom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #15
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...l/11744124.txt
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
SpanishMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPanthers View Post
How in the heck can he be a combo guard at 5'3"?
HaHa I guess he must have one heck of a verticle and a low post game ala Mugsey Bogues.
SpanishMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
9YRPLAN

PTTB's link doesnt work for me?
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

It doesn't work for me now either. Looks like the courier did some changes to their website design. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
9YRPLAN

is his name pronounced like Snead or Ringer?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

The article talked about Jevon Lyle and why he chose UNI. Said that he had a phenomenal game this summer in AAU that really elevated his stock, but decided he wanted to go to UNI after a couple visits. It also mentioned he had some reoccurring tendonitis in his knee.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Top KC Players

http://flagrantfouls.com/2009/11/kan...etball-talent/
Quote:
4. Jevon Lyle – O’Hara – At one point in his early career, Lyle was considered one of the Top 40 players in the country and has had an up and down high school career. However, his summer circuit play for KC Pump N Run cemented his place as a talented point guard who can run the floor and attack offensively and defensively. He has committed to Northern Iowa.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://kansas.scout.com/2/930021.html

Quote:
Northern Iowa looks to have found themselves a player in O'Hara junior guard Jevon Lyle. The combo guard has worked on his explosiveness, shooting and ball handling in the off-season and the hard work is showing
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #23
Kyle

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...%26confId%3d18

This lists Lyle as a ESPN top 100 watch list player. Interesting.

Quote:
Lyle also can slash from the wing with one or two strong dribbles...
Could this be the athletic slasher we've all been waiting for?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #24
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Anybody else feel like we are really doing a fantastic job in recruiting lately? I think we are getting some quality guys.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Its really encouraging to see how well this staff is evaluating young talent. We finally got an early commit after offering numerous guys before they blew up. Lets hope this becomes a trend...
Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Panther789

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
Anybody else feel like we are really doing a fantastic job in recruiting lately? I think we are getting some quality guys.
It's amazing right now. We are watching the MVC favorite and serious at-large contender. At the same time, its becoming very easy to imagine very strong line-ups for the next 4-5 years.
Panther789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
BCPanther
PN Crusader

It also makes me feel like Jake is here for the long run...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
NorthernIowaBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Crawford View Post
this becomes a trend...
Quote:
n...
Ellipsis. You are the king of it. Throw down a !!! and show some confidence!

Kaboom....

Kaboom!
NorthernIowaBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #29
Panther AC

First time on Panther Nation for "ellipsis". Leave it to NIB to be the first! Classic.
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
NorthernIowaBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
First time on Panther Nation for "ellipsis". Leave it to NIB to be the first! Classic.
Haha! Ellipsis ... love it. That and the em dash -- which I like to use -- can be helpful.
NorthernIowaBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #31
BCPanther
PN Crusader

It really is a terrible habit... Damn, there it goes again... Crap...
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #32
Blue42

Quote:
I hope so.

I think Jake is destined for big things. Building a winner at UNI is big, don't get me wrong.

But the big jobs will come. AD's would have to love this guy.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Blue42

Quote:
I hope so.

I think Jake is destined for big things. Building a winner at UNI is big, don't get me wrong.

But he'll be making seven figures coaching college hoops at some point. AD's have to love this guy.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
9YRPLAN

are we grooming one of the assistants to replace him if need be?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
are we grooming one of the assistants to replace him if need be?
I've thought about this before too. I think that Green could be a potential head coach someday.

Quote: