Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #71
JungleCat

Default Re: Jevon Lyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
Are your knees getting tired yet?
Mine aren't... you're fooling yourself if you think next year's team has enough in the paint to be competitive. We need a TRUE 5 in the worst way.

I'm not convinced on this story about Lyle though... something isn't fitting. I'm sure Jake and the staff are getting the low down however, and I will support whatever they decide to do.
JungleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #72
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
Fights with other star player? Ongoing rivalry? Ummmm...does anyone else see a problem with this kid fitting into UNI's program?! Jevon Lyle will/would be a role player with the returning players and within his own incoming class. I just don't see this as a good match at all...
I agree with you. When you have a pg and a sg in your class who are both probably better than you. You better be mentally prepared to be a role player for a long time.

He signed before Mitchell right? I wonder how he feels about this. Going from having a chance to play right away to having a pg more highly thought of has to be rough.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #73
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Lyle has said from the beginning that he expected to redshirt.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #74
panther1

Thumbs down Re: Jevon Lyle

The more I think about this, is there an 'out' here for UNI from a contract perspective regarding the scholarship? The kid beat up a teammate right before post-season play, don't want that in Cedar Falls.
panther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #75
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Lyle has said from the beginning that he expected to redshirt.
True but he committed in February while our other recruits committed in May and September. Maybe he is prepared for his role but it is just something to consider.

Panther1: Yes it is worrisome. There are "fights" that are really not fights and then there are real fights where someone gets hurt. A player getting a black eye is a real fight.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #76
UNIChippewa

Quote:
The more I think about this, is there an 'out' here for UNI from a contract perspective regarding the scholarship? The kid beat up a teammate right before post-season play, don't want that in Cedar Falls.
To be honest I'm a little dismayed to see some of you guys throwing this kid completely under the bus already. We don't know a damn thing about what led up to the incident and whether or not Lyle was the instigator. Nobody is saying anything, from the players involved to the principal himself.

Quit rushing to judgement so quickly.
UNIChippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #77
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIChippewa View Post
To be honest I'm a little dismayed to see some of you guys throwing this kid completely under the bus already. We don't know a damn thing about what led up to the incident and whether or not Lyle was the instigator. Nobody is saying anything, from the players involved to the principal himself.

Amen brother. I say give him a chance and see what happens. Maybe that Jackson kid is a jerk and lyle could not take it any more. Who knows??????

One thing I know is Lyle was smart enough to commit to a good college program! That shows character right there.
williebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #78
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIChippewa View Post

If it was self defense then the other player would been suspended for the last game, not Lyle. IMO. If it wasn't self defense I would expect people who have a bright future in front of them to make better decisions. Could he grow up and become a better person from this, sure. But you are kidding yourself if you do not think it is a worrisome incident.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #79
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
If it was self defense then the other player would been suspended for the last game, not Lyle. IMO. If it wasn't self defense I would expect people who have a bright future in front of them to make better decisions. Could he grow up and become a better person from this, sure. But you are kidding yourself if you do not think it is a worrisome incident.
Now how do you know about who would get suspended. Maybe the coach or the other kids parents made sure he stayed on the team. Maybe lyle did not have as much clout!

I don't know and neither do you!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #80
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebat View Post
Now how do you know about who would get suspended. Maybe the coach or the other kids parents made sure he stayed on the team. Maybe lyle did not have as much clout!

No i do not know but I am allowed to have an opinion. I do not know of too many coached who would suspend the teams best player with there postseason life on the line if he did not deserve it. Do I hope that I am wrong, of course. This is just how I see it right now.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #81
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebat View Post

I'm sure you are right...Jevon Lyle, a Division I recruit to a top program, has absolutely no 'clout'... This kid is Trouble, with a capital T. You don't physically assault a teammate and get kicked off a team without having displayed prior poor behavior.

Commonsense theory here: Everyone signed an internal 'gag order' to keep the kids out of jail...the truth to Lyle getting kicked off the team is probably worse than we are reading into things.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #82
UnderParPanther

I read the article and am posting in the car while driving back from stl (I'm not driving ) so this is just a reaction following a tough finish to the season.

I don't really care which one of them started it the fact that these 2 guys were selfish enough to assault one another days before getting a shot to get to the state tournament shows a lot about their character. I know we've has some inseason stuff with players here and they've been allowed to staying the team.

I just hope he has learned his lesson and will be a good teammate here.
UnderParPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #83
UNIChippewa

Quote:
I'm sure you are right...Jevon Lyle, a Division I recruit to a top program, has absolutely no 'clout'... This kid is Trouble, with a capital T. You don't physically assault a teammate and get kicked off a team without having displayed prior poor behavior.

Commonsense theory here: Everyone signed an internal 'gag order' to keep the kids out of jail...the truth to Lyle getting kicked off the team is probably worse than we are reading into things.
Life must be so cut and dried simple and black and white for you up there on your high horse...

If you're really so concerned, maybe you can appoint yourself the team's arbiter of morality if and when Lyle gets to campus so that you cab rub off on him.
UNIChippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #84
Blue42

I don't pretend to know the whole story on Lyle, so I won't pass judgement either way.

But I know this. We need more of an edge on this team. We need more toughness. We need some attitude.

Not saying Lyle is the right guy or not. But if you fill the roster with 13 guys with the demeanor of Kerwin Dunham we'd have a hard time competing in the Valley.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #85
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Well, Jake tends to keep his players on a short leash anyway. I suspect Jevone will have a heart to heart with Jake & crew about this incident and his future at UNI.

It's not like killed a bus load of nuns. The kid already has had his consequence, so let's move on.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #86
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
I don't pretend to know the whole story on Lyle, so I won't pass judgement either way.

But I know this. We need more of an edge on this team. We need more toughness. We need some attitude.

Not saying Lyle is the right guy or not. But if you fill the roster with 13 guys with the demeanor of Kerwin Dunham we'd have a hard time competing in the Valley.
Edge is fine. Frankly I wouldn't be nearly as upset if he punched a kid from an opposing team in a game. Punching a teammate before practice is unacceptable in my book.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #87
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Well, Jake tends to keep his players on a short leash anyway. I suspect Jevone will have a heart to heart with Jake & crew about this incident and his future at UNI.

It's not like killed a bus load of nuns. The kid already has had his consequence, so let's move on.
Very true, and with that said, I suspect Jake will have an even shorter leash with Lyle, as he should. It seems like sportsmanship means an awful lot to Jake.
CyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #88
Panther-Sheik

I bet if our team were in need of a guard as badly as many feel we are in need of a center there would be less negativity towards Lyle on this. Just MY two cents on this.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #89
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
I bet if our team were in need of a guard as badly as many feel we are in need of a center there would be less negativity towards Lyle on this. Just MY two cents on this.
Good point. I agree with you on this. That said, you just can't physically assault teammates in my book and it doesn't hurt that we probably don't need him to start with.

edit: If Lyle ends up in Cedar Falls, he is going to have to win me over with good character off the court and the ability to play as a role player. If he keeps his nose clean and accepts his role on the squad, I will gladly admit I was wrong about him in a couple of years...

Last edited by panther1; 03-05-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #90
PantherHawk

Quote:
Good point. I agree with you on this. That said, you just can't physically assault teammates in my book and it doesn't hurt that we probably don't need him to start with.
edit: If Lyle ends up in Cedar Falls, he is going to have to win me over with good character off the court and the ability to play as a role player. If he keeps his nose clean and accepts his role on the squad, I will gladly admit I was wrong about him in a couple of years...
Okay how do you know he assaulted him? How do you know this? They could of been in an intense practice and had some bad blood between the two and it got out of control. Just cause he gave the kid a black eye its assault? How do you know, maybe the other player attacked him and he swung in defense?? Maybe he didn't like the punishement he was dealt and left?

I have coached high school teams where in practice it has gotten pretty physical and I have had to step in between players who were ready to throw punches. HELL one time it was seriously over a girl (they were both wanting the same girl and it got out of control) Sounds like a save by the bell re-run but it happened. I had to kick them out of practice and sit them down later and talk about it.

It happens, these kids are young and very competitive. I am guessing there was something else and they got pissed at each other and it got out of control.

Personally I hope this kid is a fighter and is gonna bring some intensity to this team, god knows they lacked that. I think this kid will turn out great for UNI.
PantherHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #91
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Quote:

I don't have the inside story on this, so all I know is what you guys know from the KC Star report.

Here's what I do know. As far as I'm concerned, Jevon meant alot to his team. He was not the star player on his team that was poised to contend for a state championship. The star player on this year's team is the kid who was in the fight with Jevon. Without both, O'Hara was able to get by the 1st round. With DJ Jackson, but without Jevon, they lost. DJ Jackson was getting all the accolades this year while Jevon was quietly doing his work defensively and offensively (albeit in a diminished role compared to what one might expect from a DI recruit).

Something to clear up. Jevon did not commit in February of his junior year. He committed in either August or September of his Junior year (so he jumped on prior to the Sweet Sixteen trip or even national ranking). By all accounts, Jevon is a respectable young man who plays the game hard. The staff has known Jevon for over a year and a half (minimum). If there would have been any red flags, I'm sure they would have cut ties with him. I will be interested in reading the who story on what happened. Thankfully, this isn't a Brian Conway situation, and the relationship runs much deeper than a couple months.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #92
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherHawk View Post
Okay how do you know he assaulted him? How do you know this? They could of been in an intense practice and had some bad blood between the two and it got out of control. Just cause he gave the kid a black eye its assault? How do you know, maybe the other player attacked him and he swung in defense?? Maybe he didn't like the punishement he was dealt and left?

I have coached high school teams where in practice it has gotten pretty physical and I have had to step in between players who were ready to throw punches. HELL one time it was seriously over a girl (they were both wanting the same girl and it got out of control) Sounds like a save by the bell re-run but it happened. I had to kick them out of practice and sit them down later and talk about it.

It happens, these kids are young and very competitive. I am guessing there was something else and they got pissed at each other and it got out of control.

Personally I hope this kid is a fighter and is gonna bring some intensity to this team, god knows they lacked that. I think this kid will turn out great for UNI.

Lyle kicked off team, other kid suspended one game and comes back with a noticeable shiner. Punching someone is assault. It doesn't matter if it is in the heat of the moment or not.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #93
PantherHawk

But how do you know its Lyle's fault? Maybe Lyle was upset at the kid and thought he was getting an unfair punishment and didn't want to sit out? What if the other kid was talking **** and pissing Lyle off, and finally they went at in practice. Maybe Lyle felt he wasn't doing anything wrong? I just think people are making up their own stories and making Lyle sound like a horrible kid.

I think he will be good for UNI, and I hope everyone realizes kids make mistakes. He will be a good recruit for UNI. At least they will have a recruit is aggresive and will fight. Def need that intensity in practice, didn't look UNI had any of that in the 2nd half of the season!
PantherHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #94
D Panther

I think some people are reading too much into this in hope that he gets released so there would be an opening for Cougil. None of us know the whole story and never will. Jumping to conclusions and reading way too much into the article does nobody any good. It is not far to be judge and jury when there are so few details. Let Jake and his staff sort through and trust them to make the right decision. Jake onlt takes high charicter students so let this play out.
D Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #95
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Some folks are acting like Cougill is the second coming of Rob Parrish. He's not. It would have been great to have him this year, but would have taken Pehl's minutes, with some additional scoring, at best.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #96
DownGoesKansas

1. Cougill would help us a lot next year. People forget that he was a highly touted recruit, if I remember right.

2. You guys are right we do need more toughness, Jake koch is one that it would help a lot. It is frustrated when he tries to draw a foul while shooting a 3 and the shot barely gets there. But we do not need punks.

3. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and he will grow from it. Heck Iowa is recruiting a 25yr old who spent 4 yrs in jail. All accounts say that he has turned his life around. It happens. We still have the right to be concerned though.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #97
9YRPLAN

the underrated about cougill is that he is a phenomenal passer. he draws the defense and kicks it out while putting the pass in a good spot for the shooter.

he is also a good rebounder. he was named MVP of his region this weekend, and kirkwood is going on to nationals.
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #98
achrist70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
1. Cougill would help us a lot next year. People forget that he was a highly touted recruit, if I remember right.

2. You guys are right we do need more toughness, Jake koch is one that it would help a lot. It is frustrated when he tries to draw a foul while shooting a 3 and the shot barely gets there. But we do not need punks.

3. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and he will grow from it. Heck Iowa is recruiting a 25yr old who spent 4 yrs in jail. All accounts say that he has turned his life around. It happens. We still have the right to be concerned though.
Name please I haven't heard about this.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #99
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Panther View Post
I think some people are reading too much into this in hope that he gets released so there would be an opening for Cougil. None of us know the whole story and never will. Jumping to conclusions and reading way too much into the article does nobody any good. It is not far to be judge and jury when there are so few details. Let Jake and his staff sort through and trust them to make the right decision. Jake onlt takes high charicter students so let this play out.
Lyle was a good get. I'll take Lyle and his enormous potential over cougil any day. Cougil had his chance as an adult in college. He screwed up. I would give him a second chance but not at the expense of a committed recruit. I we had an opening then yes. But we do not so forgetta bout it.

Despite what dougie fresh thinks a commitment is a commitment and we need to stick to it. A fight in practice is not enough of a reason to not honor that. I am siding with the future panther Jevon Lyle on this one.

Give em hell Jevon!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #100
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Panther View Post
Lyle was a good get. I'll take Lyle and his enormous potential over cougil any day. Cougil had his chance as an adult in college. He screwed up. I would give him a second chance but not at the expense of a committed recruit. If we had an opening then yes. But we do not so forgetta bout it.

Despite what dougie fresh thinks a commitment is a commitment and we need to stick to it. A fight in practice is not enough of a reason to not honor that. I am siding with the future panther Jevon Lyle on this one.

Give em hell Jevon!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #101
UnderParPanther

the more i think about this situation the more i think there's something we aren't being told about. i'm sure most of you played sports at some point and at some point in practice wasn't there a heated exchange between players? I know we had it on our team where punches were at least attempted during basketball practice. I'm not saying this happened everyday, but once a year or so. No one was kicked off the team or suspended from school. I'd think this type of thing happens quite a bit during high school football practices, except you have your helmet on so punching really is laughable.

i'm not saying what they did was right, but it does happen every so often just because of players competitiveness and immaturity of being 17-18yrs old. I'm sure we'll never know for sure what happened, but something seems odd about the whole situation to me.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #102
UNI83
Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderParPanther View Post
the more i think about this situation the more i think there's something we aren't being told about. i'm sure most of you played sports at some point and at some point in practice wasn't there a heated exchange between players? I know we had it on our team where punches were at least attempted during basketball practice. I'm not saying this happened everyday, but once a year or so. No one was kicked off the team or suspended from school. I'd think this type of thing happens quite a bit during high school football practices, except you have your helmet on so punching really is laughable.

i'm not saying what they did was right, but it does happen every so often just because of players competitiveness and immaturity of being 17-18yrs old. I'm sure we'll never know for sure what happened, but something seems odd about the whole situation to me.
It was a weekly thing for myself and a teammate to get into fights during practice.
UNI83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #103
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNI83 View Post
It was a weekly thing for myself and a teammate to get into fights during practice.
I think that's why people are worried. If he was kicked off the team, it wouldn't appear to just be a small incident like this. I'm stuck in the middle on this, I don't know which side to take. The coaches will have more info than we will, and I'll trust whatever they see as the best way to deal with it.
CyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #104
UnderParPanther

especially if he only had a black eye....now maybe 1 shot cold cocking the guy is worth a suspension, but then why suspend the guy who got hit? if he had a black eye and then his face was all cut up from receiving many shots then i could see a suspension

i was just thinking about that scene in dazed and confused when the guy is going to go after that bully cuz after he gets in his few hits the crowd will pull them apart and he won't get retaliated against...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #105
achrist70

I am sure that Coach Jake will get the entire story, and he will make a very wise decision on the entire situation, that is best for UNI.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote