Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #71
achrist70

Default Re: Final scholy filled for 2011---Deon Mitchell

How long before his grade goes up, he seems to be playing very well against good competition. Bohannon's went up, and I would think 5A Texas competition, is probably better than in Iowa. Nothing against Matt he is a very good player too, it just seems that Deon has been doing some really good things lately.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #72
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

a. Achrist, answer your texts.

b. I'm super stoked for next year!
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #73
orangetennis

Deon is sounding like a GREAT find. I can't wait to get him in purple panther threading. Just what we need to step into KAs shoes!
orangetennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #74
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://pflugervillepflag.com/2011/01...nthers-to-win/

Quote:
Round Rock coach Cody Blake doesn’t mix his words when describing Pflugerville guard Deon Mitchell’s game. He doesn’t quite throw roses at the feet of the Northern Iowa recruit, but you understand the respect.

“He’s the best guard in Central Texas. He knows it. I know it,” said Blake, following his Dragon’s 59-47 home loss to the Panthers on Tuesday night. “Our goal was not to stop him, but to stop the rest of (his teammates).”

Mitchell netted 23 points and had six rebounds, while piloting the Panthers, (20-4, 5-0 District 16-5A) who are the lone team without a blemish in district play. The 6-foot point guard is averaging 20.8 points a game.
http://leanderledger.com/2011/01/20/...n-second-half/
Quote:
There’s still room to grow, though. Pflugerville has emerged as the district favorite. The Panthers showed that by steadily pulling away in Friday’s game. Guard Deon Mitchell, the favorite for district player of the year and one of the top recruits in the state this cycle, poured in 33 points.
Another write-up on his last game:
http://texasbasketballinc.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Pflugerville 69 Round Rock Stony Point 64
Stony Point's 3rd quarter comeback stalled as Deon Mitchell (Northern Iowa) had 29 for the Panthers. It wasn't easy though as a BIG Stony Point team gave Pflugerville fits on the boards. The Panthers were thin as Jamal Shabazz missed his 3rd game because of a concussion. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.
Then, there is a picture with Deon, with the following quote above it:
Quote:
Pflugerville PG Deon Mitchell has Northern Iowa fans licking their chops in anticipation
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #75
Panther-Sheik

Can't wait to get Deon on campus. Only wish he had a year with Kwadzo. He will have a year with Johnny and a few with AJ and Sonnen, though. Great job recruiting!!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #76
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_st...d-scores-high/

Must see video. Deon was named Athlete of the Week. The things I'm reading on the internet is that he might be the best player in central Texas. Fellas...that's pretty high praise. If they can make it to the state tourney, you will see his national rankings skyrocket. His game reminds me of AJ's a little. Also, they said that they were 21-4 I believe...25 games, and it's not even February. That's a long season.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #77
Hail Our Panthers

Good to hear someone pronounce "Pflugerville."
Hail Our Panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #78
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
Can't wait to get Deon on campus. Only wish he had a year with Kwadzo. He will have a year with Johnny and a few with AJ and Sonnen, though. Great job recruiting!!
I wish we could get Kwadzo to stay on as grad assisant or something. He seems to really be a leader and is helping sonnen and AJ elevate their game. But I am guessing he is europe bound to make some needed money.
williebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #79
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

I also would love to have Kwadzo around longer.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #80
Casey'sitsallgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Also, they said that they were 21-4 I believe...25 games, and it's not even February. That's a long season.
I was reading the official release about LOI signings from UNI last night that was one thing that stood out. The three guys that aren't from Iowa had played over 90 games before their senior seasons. Going to HS in this state, that's crazy. It's like a college season almost...
Casey'sitsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #81
9YRPLAN

deon should fit well into our guard rotation. i expect marc to be up to 25-30 mpg next year and give him the first crack at that 10-12 ppg scoring role. we really dont have a true PG, but rather 3 combos on the floor at the same time. i am completely comfortable with the ball in the hands of any of our 4 current guards.

the big question is who becomes our go-to scorer in the backcourt. AJ has the ability, but im not sure if hes big enough. he wont draw the contact that kwadzo does.
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #82
Casey'sitsallgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
deon should fit well into our guard rotation. i expect marc to be up to 25-30 mpg next year and give him the first crack at that 10-12 ppg scoring role. we really dont have a true PG, but rather 3 combos on the floor at the same time. i am completely comfortable with the ball in the hands of any of our 4 current guards.

the big question is who becomes our go-to scorer in the backcourt. AJ has the ability, but im not sure if hes big enough. he wont draw the contact that kwadzo does.
Completely agree with everything you said here. I also am not sure about who will be the go-to but I think someone will step into that role, if it's Kwadzo like this year, or up to 4 guys like last year. I think next year's team will be one of the most talented team's in UNI's history, it's just a question of can they put it all together?
Casey'sitsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #83
UnderParPanther

agreed....although i dont think we have to worry much about backcourt scoring...all of our guards that play have scored over 20pts in at least 1 game in their careers i believe. i like that we have a good distribution of scoring over our whole team (for the most part). it makes us a little more difficult to prepare for if anyone is capable of scoring 10-20 points.

i think johnny steps up w/ 11-12ppg next year and sonnen gets 8-9ppg.

i think we miss kwadzo's defense more than offense
UnderParPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #84
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
I also would love to have Kwadzo around longer.
It would be nice but I'd like to see him play at the next level whethere it be overseas or D League or the NBA.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #85
DownGoesKansas

I liked how they mentioned us getting a Texas recruit when talking anout last year.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #86
Panther'73

Kwadzo is in grad school now (BA last spring) - will most likely depend on if he wants to complete his MA before moving on.
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #87
TheChiefPanther

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMleXwdYyBs
TheChiefPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #88
pantherfan4ever
I love this team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebat View Post
I wish we could get Kwadzo to stay on as grad assisant or something. He seems to really be a leader and is helping sonnen and AJ elevate their game. But I am guessing he is europe bound to make some needed money.
Well, Kwadzo is currently a grad student at UNI. I believe he has another year left in his program (maybe more?), so that is a possibility...
pantherfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #89
williebat
class of 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan4ever View Post
Well, Kwadzo is currently a grad student at UNI. I believe he has another year left in his program (maybe more?), so that is a possibility...
He just seems like he would be a good person to have hanging around with the new guys. Keep that competitive spirit going.
williebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #90
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Looked at the tape. Looks like he has some range, taking 28'-30' shots. Needs to work on his jump shot form a bit (jumping forward instead of up/down). Looks like the typical HS senior / college FR - needs to hit the weight room hard.

Think AJ size (maybe shorter), with more range.

Interesting that the news channel story mentions that he expects to contribute immediately - hope he doesn't react badly if he is asked to red shirt.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #91
9YRPLAN

Kwadzo is a lock for at least the d-keague.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #92
Hail Our Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Interesting that the news channel story mentions that he expects to contribute immediately - hope he doesn't react badly if he is asked to red shirt.
From some of the articles I've read I think the reason he came here was because Jake told him he would play immediately. I would be surprised if he redshirts.
Hail Our Panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #93
Marc Wigim
PN's Resident Band Dork

Send a message via AIM to Marc Wigim

Quote:
Looked at the tape. Looks like he has some range, taking 28'-30' shots. Needs to work on his jump shot form a bit (jumping forward instead of up/down). Looks like the typical HS senior / college FR - needs to hit the weight room hard.

Think AJ size (maybe shorter), with more range.

The things I've heard and seen on Mitchell tell me he will be providing quality minutes right away. Remember that at one point AJ WASN'T going to be redshirted until his season was flushed away with mono his true freshman year. I think this is a similar situation, and that Deon is a big-time recruit for us.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
-Eldon Miller
Marc Wigim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #94
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

We are going to have 18 guards battling for playing time next year. Our center may be 6'3"
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #95
9YRPLAN

i dont think they expected AJ to play. he played garbage minutes against marquette and thats it IIRC. then, he conveniently got mono to save a redshirt year
Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #96
Marc Wigim
PN's Resident Band Dork

Hey, man... take your conspiracy theories elsewhere. There's no denying that it ended up being a huge boon for his game, the team, and the program.

-Eldon Miller
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #97
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Other thing I forgot to mention is that Deon needs to work on his left dribbling if he plans on playing the point. 98% of the clips I have seen (admitting small % of playing time) he is dribbling exclusively with the right hand.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #98
Marc Wigim
PN's Resident Band Dork

Quote:
Other thing I forgot to mention is that Deon needs to work on his left dribbling if he plans on playing the point. 98% of the clips I have seen (admitting small % of playing time) he is dribbling exclusively with the right hand.
I noticed that too, but I also noticed that he's smart enough on the floor that a skill like that could be taught to him pretty quickly. I'm just floored by now much of an orchestrator he is on offense. I've noticed our offense needs great point play to work at top level, and he might be the guy for it.

-Eldon Miller
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #99
Panther-Sheik

This kid has all the ability to be great, but let's remember that Coach Jake is a system guy...both offense and defense. Deon will have a lot to learn very quickly to earn his minutes. Not saying that he can't do it (Johnny did), but some need some time to get it all figured out. What a talent, though. Glad to have him STAY a Panther.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #100
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

I am so excited to see what Panther basketball can do next season. Everyone outside of UNI is going to talk about the loss of Kwadzo and a guy like O'Rear (because no one ever seems to remember talking about the same exact thing the year before) and while the contributions of those guys can't be denied by any length, I think we can all agree that we have plenty of guys who are more than capable of making the same contributions. I still cant pick who will hurt more to lose, Luke or Kwadzo. Kwadzo is without a doubt (in my mind) our best player, but I think Sonnen AJ and Johnny are more than able to fill in for him at guard. Luke on the other hand is an X-factor who's hustle, intensity and prescence are the biggest part of his game. Im not sure if Chip and Pehl are capable at filling those shoes. If anything I think Johnny is the next closest thing to Luke...except he isnt 6'6
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #101
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther-state View Post
I am so excited to see what Panther basketball can do next season. Everyone outside of UNI is going to talk about the loss of Kwadzo and a guy like O'Rear (because no one ever seems to remember talking about the same exact thing the year before) and while the contributions of those guys can't be denied by any length, I think we can all agree that we have plenty of guys who are more than capable of making the same contributions. I still cant pick who will hurt more to lose, Luke or Kwadzo. Kwadzo is without a doubt (in my mind) our best player, but I think Sonnen AJ and Johnny are more than able to fill in for him at guard. Luke on the other hand is an X-factor who's hustle, intensity and prescence are the biggest part of his game. Im not sure if Chip and Pehl are capable at filling those shoes. If anything I think Johnny is the next closest thing to Luke...except he isnt 6'6
But....The guys we have coming in and we redshirted this season sound like they will make immediate impacts in filling those guys shoes and keeping the Panthers on top of the MVC
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #102
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://www.rrleader.com/main.asp?Sec...64&TM=46111.09

http://texasbasketballinc.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Pflugerville 71 Round Rock McNeil 59
Balanced scoring by Darrian Dempsey with 18, Deon Mitchell (Northern Iowa--14) & Storm Woods (Oregon State-football)-14) led the Panthers to the win. Blair Williams of McNeil led all scorers with 21 in a losing effort.
They are now 23-4. Deon is averaging 20.6 PPG, 54% from FG, 43% from 3, 78% FT, 4.6 APG, 2.1 RPG, 2.4 SPG, 2.4 TO/G
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #103
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Sorry guys, I've been away for a little bit and haven't updated PN on Deon Mitchell. Since I've been gone....

His Pfluggerville team is now ranked #17 in the nation by Max Preps
They are ranked #5 in the state of Texas with a record of 28-4

He is now averaging 20.4 PPG, 53% from FG, 44% from 3, 78% FT, 4.5 APG, 2.1 RPG, 2.5 SPG, 2.4 TO/G

Latest game:
http://texasbasketballinc.blogspot.c...s-tuesday.html
Quote:
Pflugerville 76 Austin Anderson 60
The Trojans hung tough for almost 3 quarters, but Pflugerville was too deep. 2011 W Cameron Blue had 23 points and 2011 G Deon Mitchell (Northern Iowa) ran the show and dropped 20 for the Panthers.
Against Stony Point the previous week, he had 14 points, 1 board, 3 assists, and 9 steals.

They are now in the state playoffs. The bracket can be found here.
http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/5...ference-5a.htm
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #104
NEI Panther

Good read about mitchell

http://pflugervillepflag.com/2011/02...s-to-playoffs/
NEI Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #105
BCPanther
PN Crusader

I am starting to think we are going to start four guards next year. It seems to work ok for Villanova...