Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Football Tailgating

Football Tailgating Sign up for PantherNation tailgating.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #36
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

If UNI finds a way to win in Ames, could be a sell out.

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
FOTY

Default Re: Tailgating Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
Thanks. So, assuming good weather for the home opener against Drake, what would you expect? I'm thinking the high end of your estimates.
I'd guess about average. Not many are excited about playing the Dawgs and some families may look at paying $30 each to watch the game a little excessive. However, the squaks are playing MSU and the other birds are off. So, we do have that going for us...

I hope you are right and the lots are packed early. I'd enjoy having a beverage with ya with plenty of neighbors playing in the grass and pissing in the trees.
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
JayJ79

I'm excited about playing the Dawgs b/c it is UNI football, and it is the home opener. Is it the toughest opponent on the schedule, no. But it is a home football game.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

And the register made a point to note how Drake made the top 25 last year while UNI was dropped from them. I hope we annihilate them
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Quote:
It sounds like most of you have self-contained tailgates. Where is the best place that has a sense of community and shared experience with other tailgaters? We would love to land next to some folks to talk football, share tailgate games, etc.
We always enjoy meeting new people. Stop by, say hi & hang out for a bit. We always park by the side walk in the South grass lot across from the Power Plant. It's hard to miss us, just look for the 31ft UNI motorhome. We are usually there at least 4 hrs prior to kickoff. They just prefer you don't start drinking until 4 hrs prior. I think this game will be hard to predict the tailgating crowd. It's Family Week (usually busy) but it's also Drake (usually not much of a game). I suggest come early, it's always fun to watch the lot fill up if it isn't full early.
Geno4UNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno4UNI View Post
We always enjoy meeting new people. Stop by, say hi & hang out for a bit. We always park by the side walk in the South grass lot across from the Power Plant. It's hard to miss us, just look for the 31ft UNI motorhome. We are usually there at least 4 hrs prior to kickoff. They just prefer you don't start drinking until 4 hrs prior. I think this game will be hard to predict the tailgating crowd. It's Family Week (usually busy) but it's also Drake (usually not much of a game). I suggest come early, it's always fun to watch the lot fill up if it isn't full early.
The Drake game is untested at the Dome. The game will suck because we will kill them. The tailgating should be good because it's the first home game. Look for our 10 foot Nissan. Anyone that brags about anything 31 foot long is lacking some where else.

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.
1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #42
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Not bragging, just stating a fact. Did I say something to offend you or warrant that reply?
Geno4UNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Looking forward to seeing many of you for the Drake game. We tailgate before each ISU game, but this will be our first for a UNI game. Hope being a dual fan doesn't diminish the welcome. We have become serious UNI fans. I added some purple totes, purple cornhole bags, and purple ladder golf balls. We already had a UNI flag to display on our white tent.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
UNIDebo

Just leave the red shirts at home . You should see an epic beatdown. Unfortunately don't know how many people will been in there.... Too bad your first game wasn't one of the New Hampshire playoff games a few years back. I probably lost 50% of my hearing from those games.
UNIDebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIDebo View Post
Just leave the red shirts at home . You should see an epic beatdown. Unfortunately don't know how many people will been in there.... Too bad your first game wasn't one of the New Hampshire playoff games a few years back. I probably lost 50% of my hearing from those games.

I'm even pulling out my new purple tote to haul gear! Wearing my UNI dry-fit shirt as we speak.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #46
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

[QUOTE=UNIdadtobe;358092]Looking forward to seeing many of you for the Drake game. We tailgate before each ISU game, but this will be our first for a UNI game. Hope being a dual fan doesn't diminish the welcome. We have become serious UNI fans.

I'm not a dual fan, I pull for multiple teams. But none more so than dear old UNI...Despite what some will tell you that doesn't make you a heretic .

Enjoy your experience at UNI, great folks and you'll have a wonderful time. I wish I was there to give you the official welcome, and a free Leinies...
Panther/Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #47
Deke3

More and more people are parking and tailgating west of the McLeod/PSC parking lot (grass field). We're always in the PSC lot, but often times pull our bags boards out in the grass. Good luck, have fun! South lot is good too I have been told, stay away from the mess that is the north lot...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #48
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke3 View Post
More and more people are parking and tailgating west of the McLeod/PSC parking lot (grass field). We're always in the PSC lot, but often times pull our bags boards out in the grass. Good luck, have fun! South lot is good too I have been told, stay away from the mess that is the north lot...

Looking for a little more advice. It is possible that our tailgate could end up with a few dozen people, including students. We want a family atmosphere with lots of room for games, but also don't want to be an annoyance to folks who have smaller tailgates that keep to themselves. Any further suggestions for where we should park?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #49
FOTY

I will continue to advocate for the grass lot. We usually tailgate with 10-20 people. The grass lots give us plenty of area to spreadout and flexibility in setting up how we choose.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #50
Neighbor

Quote:
don't want to be an annoyance to folks who have smaller tailgates that keep to themselves. Any further suggestions for where we should park?
Agree with foty, we're just west of him and the grass lots south of McLeod would be your best bet. Maybe near the creek but that area is popular.

Don't worry, just pull in and be the golden rule.

Oh, and by the way, please wear the ISU shirt.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #51
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Agree with foty, we're just west of him and the grass lots south of McLeod would be your best bet. Maybe near the creek but that area is popular.

Don't worry, just pull in and be the golden rule.

Oh, and by the way, please wear the ISU shirt.

No ISU shirt will be worn. This week, I'm only a UNI fan. I even brought my UNI shirt on this business trip and will be wearing it all day Thursday and on the plane ride back!

P.S. We may still bring some of our red totes with our regular tailgate stuff in addition to our purple totes, so we may be recognizable.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #52
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Looking forward to tailgating in Cedar Falls today. We expect to be in the lot south of McLeod around 1pm. Hope to meet some of you. Our tailgate will have a white tent and some home-made games: giant jenga, ladder golf, and a bags game painted green with yard-line stripes (with rules that replicate a college football OT period).
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #53
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

OK, now we are getting down to serious matters for a new tailgater at the UNI-Dome. What is the bathroom situation like? I've read lots of things about peeing the woods, so it made me wonder if there will be port-o-potties in the parking lots (particularly for the ladies)?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #54
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

I believe you can walk into McLeod Center and use the restrooms when needed. Also, the portable toilets are available in most lots.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #55
PantherChic

Yes the McLeod is open for restrooms. It's also open during game so women can go there and not wait in the insane line in the Dome. Man I wish I would win the lottery to give some money for new/more restrooms in the Dome!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #56
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

We had a great time tailgating for the first time at the UNI-Dome. It was terribly hot, but there was a great spirit in the south lot. We ended up pretty far south (between Panther Village and the power plant, near Hudson). There was a huge grassy area in the middle where no one parked, so there was a ton of room for games.

My only regret was getting there later than we expected and not getting to walk around and meet some of you in person. I can't wait to come back and do it again on a cooler day.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #57
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

Thanks for letting us know. I was going to follow up on here and ask you how your experience was.

Personally, I can't wait to really get into the tailgating scene. We've had young kids for the last several years, and we decided this weekend that next year -- when our youngest is just a tad bit older -- we're going to make a better go of it.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I was going to follow up on here and ask you how your experience was.

Personally, I can't wait to really get into the tailgating scene. We've had young kids for the last several years, and we decided this weekend that next year -- when our youngest is just a tad bit older -- we're going to make a better go of it.

Hoping to make it back later in the Fall for a playoff game!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #59
casbern
Purple for Life

Default Tailgating Advice

Quote:
Hoping to make it back later in the Fall for a playoff game!
I hope you had a good time, we were in the student lot to help my sister celebrate parents weekend and we had a blast with ~60 people at the tailgate.

During our regular walk of the tailgates, our group wondered what it could actually be like if we were like NDSU and consolidated our tailgates to restricted areas only. I personally believe our tailgates are too spread out.

I can see this being beneficial for a couple of reasons:

1) it would put Panther fans in a close proximity to create more comradery.
2) it would amplify the tailgate atmosphere
3) it would force Panther fans to build upon the other awesome tailgates that they are competing against.

casbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbern View Post
I hope you had a good time, we were in the student lot to help my sister celebrate parents weekend and we had a blast with ~60 people at the tailgate.

During our regular walk of the tailgates, our group wondered what it could actually be like if we were like NDSU and consolidated our tailgates to restricted areas only. I personally believe our tailgates are too spread out.

I can see this being beneficial for a couple of reasons:

1) it would put Panther fans in a close proximity to create more comradery.
2) it would amplify the tailgate atmosphere
3) it would force Panther fans to build upon the other awesome tailgates that they are competing against.

Generally, I don't like the idea of trying to orchestrate tailgating. It think it is best when it just develops over time. Then, tailgating is restricted to "everywhere people park!"

From what I observed, most tailgates were nice parties that largely kept to themselves, albeit with some folks wandering around (including the guy selling UNI underwear with the flask pocket!).
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #61
PantherChic

I think this past Saturday was not the best indicator of what tailgating can be at UNI. It was just miserably hot and I know plenty who didn't go as early as they normally would have. Hopefully good fall weather will bless us the rest of the season!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #62
FOTY

The panther chic hit it right on. While we were still tailgating, we were hiding in the sahde of our tents most of the time. I don't think 3 games of corn hole were played. And we didn't spread out to meet the neighbors.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #63
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

I gave up beer drinking and food eating to head into the cool shelter of the Dome (well cool compared to outside) about 1 1/2 hrs prior to kickoff. I was a little ashamed but DANG it was hot out! I think my shirt has a permanent sweat ring from being worn both in Ames and last Saturday for tailgating. Tide, Bleach and lava be d@mned, I doubt it ever washes out
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #64
Al_4_State

Bumping this as I will be tailgating in Cedar Falls for the first time for your Homecoming game (wife is a UNI alum and former Panther heptathlete), but no one we're going with has ever tailgated there. Are there any special restrictions for tailgating, due to its popularity?

I take it lots open at noon? Also, is it common to see people with TVs and what not? I'll want to keep an eye my Clones that day (which I'm sure will lead to more than a few deserved jabs), but I'm not sure how much time people will want to spend partying in the bars vs. partying in the lots, and just trying to size up what our options are.

TIA.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 09-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Al_4_State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #65
casbern
Purple for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
Bumping this as I will be tailgating in Cedar Falls for the first time for your Homecoming game (wife is a UNI alum and former Panther heptathlete), but no one we're going with has ever tailgated there. Are there any special restrictions for tailgating, due to its popularity?

I take it lots open at noon? Also, is it common to see people with TVs and what not? I'll want to keep an eye my Clones that day (which I'm sure will lead to more than a few deserved jabs), but I'm not sure how much time people will want to spend partying in the bars vs. partying in the lots, and just trying to size up what our options are.

TIA.
IMO, go as big as you want. I could give a flip if you bring a decked out rig or if you just bring a cooler. As long as there are people in the lots (which it will surely be for homecoming), it'll be a good time. Tailgating has restricted hours to 4 hours before the game.

Sadly, I've got to miss out this year due to a frickin' wedding.

casbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #66
Al_4_State

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbern View Post
IMO, go as big as you want. I could give a flip if you bring a decked out rig or if you just bring a cooler. As long as there are people in the lots (which it will surely be for homecoming), it'll be a good time. Tailgating has restricted hours to 4 hours before the game.

Sadly, I've got to miss out this year due to a frickin' wedding.
I don't have a TV rig personally (some buddies down in Ames handle that), I was just wondering if other people do it. I figure with Iowa on a bye week, there might be some people interested in following the ISU game (we all keep tabs on Iowa and UNI games while tailgating in Ames), and since I like to wander around and mingle with the locals, I figured if there were a few rigs with that set up, I might be able to casually keep an eye things.

I'm just a big fan of college football in general, and relish opportunities to tailgate at other schools and soak in their atmosphere. I'll be wearing purple and cheering for the Panthers. If you guys can take down NDSU, I anticipate an excellent atmosphere, especially when you throw in how wild UNI Homecoming can be anyways.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #67
Waverly_Panther

For Homecoming the student parking lots stay pretty full, so you will want to arrive early or you may be parking a long ways away. We show up around 10 am to get all the spots we need together. Probably don't need to be that early, but the earlier the better. Also, I've never been hassled about the 4 hour limit. And we won't be the first one's there. On homecoming, the student lot can get quite interesting.
Waverly_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #68
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post

TIA.

Al,

I started this thread because I was tailgating for the first time at UNI for the Drake game. My summary is that UNI tailgating is pretty laid back compared to ISU tailgating. You don't have to worry about getting there so early in order to get a decent spot. And there is plenty of room for you to do whatever you want.

We got there about 3-4 hours before game time, used the lot south of McLeod, and were perfectly happy. We went all the way to the far south end and parked in a big spacious grass lot between the power plant and Hudson Dr. (with Panther Village across the street). Some may complain about it being "too far away," but it was closer than our usual spot in Ames near Hilton.

If anything, we would have liked to have been tighter with people so you get more interaction with people tailgating around you. The "best" tailgating, meaning where you find lots of hard core fans close together, is just across the street south of McLeod. However, I really liked having room to set up my games without worrying about bothering someone else.

Some people said to be careful about the bottle prohibition, but I didn't see a single enforcement officer.

Give me a PM if you want to interact more.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #69
Al_4_State

Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to adding another a college to the tailgating list.

I don't think we'll have too crazy of a spread. Probably just lawn chairs and coolers. My guess is we'll eat somewhere beforehand, like Pump House, and catch part of the ISU game before heading in and then just drink.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #70
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Then, you might just want to walk around and stop in places where they are friendly.