Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Football Tailgating

Football Tailgating Sign up for PantherNation tailgating.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #36
UNIpanther99

Default Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Iowa has a great mix of university owned and privately owned tailgating spots around Kinnick. IMO, that's what makes for a great atmosphere. They have to allow a little fun, otherwise it would just drive everyone to the privately owned areas.

ISU is much more like UNI in that pretty much all of the tailgating has to happen on university owned property. If ISU can open things up at 5am, there is no reason UNI can't. Times have changed. Tailgating is part of the college football culture now and if it's an issue of staffing and security, why not just charge a few bucks for those who come early enough to tailgate? Maybe we could even afford a few more port-a-johns.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
What good do those people do for the program? If they're just looking for a place to get drunk outdoors why should UNI provide it.

I know there are many schools (one in this state even) where all the games are sold out and coming to tailgate is the best many fans can hope for and that's how they feel they are part of the program. But at UNI, where 25-50% of the tickets are unsold almost every game there is no point to having people come just for the "tailgate experience". I think you can safely assume those people are not PSC members or supporting UNI in any other way.
I am going to have to disagree with you on these people not being PSC members. Most of the people that stay out there are in the Gold lot right across from the Dome. I challenge you to step out there in a couple of weeks to check it out.
1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #38
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

By the way, its not true that all tailgates have drinking or excessive behavior. UNI tailgating has exploded in the last decade and we need fo nourish it, not restrict it. Why? Because massive crowds of excited fans boost the program by their mere presence, and by extension promote the university. Its a whole lot easier to convince people to fill empty seats when they are already outside the dome having a good time.

Yes, people like excitement and good old school spirit much better than obeying antiquated rules. Break down the barriers, harass the bureaucracy; its what Americans do best!
Panther/Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Maybe they will be drunk enough to want to put up with UNItix...
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
PantherChic

Troy's Take today addresses the 4 hour rule

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
Kyle

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #42
Kyle

Here is one response on twitter:

Quote:
yeah lets not learn from our peer in state institutions i mean they are only selling out every game and bringing in lots of money because of it... i mean who wants to sell out games and make money? I guess not UNI...#troystake
Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

How about selling out the dome a couple times in a row before taking a dump on the AD twitter guy?

There is a slight difference of dealing with 50,000-60,000 versus 14,000
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
PantherChic

Thanks for posting that Kyle-I couldn't get it to work for me when I posted.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
PantherChic

If people want to tailgate earlier, then it seems, according to Troy, that people should be letting the athletic and public safety department know this. And it needs to be done in a non-confrontational way with legitimate reasons so they see it's not about the drinking but about the game-day atmosphere. Using Iowa and Iowa State as reference points probably won't help, so it needs to be peer institutions.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #46
Kyle

I don't think it needs to be limited to peer institutions.

Like it or not, we compete with Iowa and ISU for fans, money, and press. College football is a product and fans expect an all day event. They don't just buy a ticket to the game, they purchase an all day experience. Fans get up early and stay late. The actual game itself is only one piece of a day long outing. Fans get excited about making game day into a big activity.

Every Saturday we are putting a product out for the public and every Saturday we are competing with ISU and Iowa. We need to make our entire game day experience as good as it can be. Limiting our pre-game festivities doesn't make our product more appealing.

And this bit about it being all about getting drunk is bogus. Yes, there is a ton of drinking during the pre-game festivities, but there is also a ton of other fun activities taking place. Just take a walk around Iowa City or Ames during the morning of a game day. You'll see grilling, bags, TV's with other games on, music, and people generally just hanging out having a good time. Fans getting too rowdy or rambunctious is the last thing UNI should be worried about IMO.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
PantherChic

Good point-but definitely include peer institutions because it seems to be what they'll look at. However making the point that we compete for fans, etc makes a lot of sense.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
Waverly_Panther

I don't know about anyone else, but I can get plenty drunk in 4 hours. The added time isn't going to matter much for that.

Also, we tailgate in the north lot and never are hassled if we're out there before the 4 hour time limit. And that includes drinking. I don't know why they care about the other lots more.
Waverly_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

Where does he come up with a stereotypical remark about some of the fans wanting to drink longer? Is that what he thinks of the fans? Why there must be piles of drunks laying all over the lots. Maybe he should hop on a golf cart some Saturday and see what goes on.

I'm not crazy about laying this on public safety either. Its a lazy remark meant to deflect blame. Who sets policy, administration or the public safety department?

Here is a proactive long view way to handle it, "I'm excited that our fans want an enhanced game day experience. I'm forming a group of stakeholders including students, alumni, and public safety to find ways to make improvements to our tailgating experience while assuring our fans safety".

Too easy.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #50
FOTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther/Statesman View Post
I'm not crazy about laying this on public safety either. Its a lazy remark meant to deflect blame. Who sets policy, administration or the public safety department?
I appreciate the fact he's being honest in his take. I recall when the 4 hour rule was set, and it was set by UNI Public Safety, not the UNI AD. I'm sure, if he saw a need, Troy would be approaching them for a change.
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #51
9YRPLAN

P
News flash, Americans drink. Most do it responsibly. Those who don't have friends that do.
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #52
ubuntuCAT

The part I don't like is it seems the rule was just arbitrarily made up just too have a rule. It wasn't addressing a problem. Also, the inconsistent enforcement.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #53
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

I saw the Register had a brief article on tailgating in IC that talked about whether the experience has become diminished with supposedly higher levels of "drunkeness" and more security present. Thought it was a semi-relevant read
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #54
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTY View Post
I appreciate the fact he's being honest in his take. I recall when the 4 hour rule was set, and it was set by UNI Public Safety, not the UNI AD. I'm sure, if he saw a need, Troy would be approaching them for a change.
Yes they set the 4 hour rule and by Troy's take no one has complained to him. We have people that post on this board often siting circumstances that the AD, UNI, and the BOR are trying to screw them over personally. If they would go to the source of their "concerns" they may get a favorable response. Instead it's easier to show their disrespect for those in charge on a faceless message board.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #55
Kyle

I bet NDSU is making sure all fans stay clear of the college gameday crew this morning.

The last thing they need is a bunch of terrible press that would result from several fans congregating outdoors more than four hours prior to kickoff. Broadcasting a chaotic mess like that on national TV would set their program back 10 years or more.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #56
Panther789

Is there really significant demand for this? We can sit and complain, but I have a hard time believing there would be more than a handful of groups out 4+ hours before gametime.
Panther789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #57
Kyle

Well, considering people already do tailgate 4 hours prior to kickoff and get approached by public safety for it, the answer is yes.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #58
mwatje

I agree with what was said earlier regarding setting up and taking down. I love grilling when I tailgate. Setting up and then getting the charcoal going, then cooking, and then cleaning up can take a few hours. That leaves you with very little time to sit back and relax in the company of your friends/family before the game starts. When I lived in CF I only tailgated 2 or 3 times because it just wasn't enough time to get everything done and have fun.

Now that I live in Dallas, I look forward to 24 hours of tailgating when the Panthers come to Frisco!!!
mwatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #59
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

As an ISU fan, I too am surprised the University, or whoever, restricts tailgating to 4 hours. These days, college football is more than just a game. Most people I know make a day out of it. It's all a part of the game day experience. Making the game day experience more enjoyable will help grow a fan base and bring in outsiders.

Want to know why ISU has such great tailgating? Because having numerous decades of suck on the football field will yield people to drink heavily. Why not drink, eat, grill, party in the parking lots with thousands of fans from your own team? It makes years like this more enjoyable for Cyclone fans. Show up, grill, drink, eat, meet friends/family, and watch football. If the product on the field is bad, what can you do? You get your ass back in the parking lot and tailgate.

And then, when you do have a good season the tailgating is 10x more fun. More people, bigger parties, etc. It's all about growing a fan base and making a day out of it.

And to clarify, ISU doesn't always open the lots at 5am. They only do it during big games like Iowa when there's going to 100,000+ people tailgating or for games that kickoff at 11am. The general rule at ISU is: The donor parking lots open at 7am, or 5am for 11am kick offs. The general public lots open 6 hours prior to kickoff (sometimes earlier if the line waiting to get in starts to block traffic on streets) And if you're a donor with an RV pass you can start Friday morning.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #60
JayJ79

letting people in the donor lot to start tailgating early is a smart idea. provides another incentive for people to donate to a sufficient amount to be able to get such parking spots.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #61
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

Cydave makes a great point. You cannot always depend upon the product on the field to generate a good time. But if you are linking with friends, socializing, eating great food in a fun atmosphere then you are making great memories; despite the outcome of the game.

On a side note, why not charge a nominal fee? That could provide better access to porta potties.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #62
BCPanther
PN Crusader

The last thing we need to do is add other obstacles to keep people away.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #63
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
The last thing we need to do is add other obstacles to keep people away.
Porta potties?

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Did the Dept. of Public Safety actually make the rule or are they simply the group charged with enforcing it?

I certainly understand them being consulted on the creation of certain rules on campus in regard to public safety and how to enforce, but it would seem odd to me that UNI administration/athletics would have DPS would be writing a campus events policy.
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #65
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
Did the Dept. of Public Safety actually make the rule or are they simply the group charged with enforcing it?

I certainly understand them being consulted on the creation of certain rules on campus in regard to public safety and how to enforce, but it would seem odd to me that UNI administration/athletics would have DPS would be writing a campus events policy.
Really? .
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #66
Kyle

I'm sure UNI public safety has some input, but this is no doubt the athletic departments call.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #67
JayJ79

Back in the day, before tailgating at UNI was really much of anything, someone from the athletic dept. was probably talking to someone from the DPS, and casually asked them what would probably be a good time to set for a tailgating limit.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #68
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
Really? .
Yeah, really.

Time to revisit the policy and who makes it.

Looks like it might be on the Athletics Dept. radar now. Couple this with the thread in the Football forum about improving the game day experience and there might be a great opportunity for UNI Football.
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #69
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'm sure UNI public safety has some input, but this is no doubt the athletic departments call.
It seems to be exactly the opposite.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #70
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
It seems to be exactly the opposite.
Maybe on paper, but let's be real, if Troy told DPS to change the policy it would be done tomorrow.

It's like asking who is in charge of BCS athletic departments. On the administrative flow chart it's the president and AD, but we all know the head football coach gets whatever he wants.