Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Football Tailgating

Football Tailgating Sign up for PantherNation tailgating.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #71
'70 Grad

Default Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Maybe on paper, but let's be real, if Troy told DPS to change the policy it would be done tomorrow.
But if adding hours adds patrolling costs, it might not be that simple (given our $ situation).
Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #72
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Well you could never tell we have a money issue. Of Iowa, Iowa State and UNI UNI is the only one that can afford not to charge for parking. I paid $50 at Iowa and $40 at Iowa State to park an RV. At Iowa the lot opened Friday night at 7pm and you had to be out by Noon on Sunday. At Iowa State we could have been there Friday night and stayed till Sunday morning. Both places we got there early morning (6 am Iowa and 10 am ISU) and there were plenty of people who were already there and we had no problems either place with excessive drinking. I don't recall seeing campus police circling the lots either.

The South Lot of the Dome had many people there for the Drake game prior to Noon. I think they just need to start the Volleyball games at 2:00 and then we can start tailgating for the Volleyball games at 10 am.
Geno4UNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #73
JayJ79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno4UNI View Post
The South Lot of the Dome had many people there for the Drake game prior to Noon. I think they just need to start the Volleyball games at 2:00 and then we can start tailgating for the Volleyball games at 10 am.
wouldn't work. teams play on Friday nights at 7 p.m., then have to travel between cities (not sure if they overnight in the Friday city or the Saturday city). With UNI now being partnered with Drake, it's not a bad drive (2-3 hours), but still, teams aren't going to want to have that short of turnaround between matches, especially just for the sake of tailgaters who probably wouldn't even attend the volleyball match anyway.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #74
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Well you could never tell we have a money issue. Of Iowa, Iowa State and UNI UNI is the only one that can afford not to charge for parking. I paid $50 at Iowa and $40 at Iowa State to park an RV.
Sell tailgating passes, per vehicle? Seek a partnership with Hy Vee or Weber Grills or that company in Iowa Falls which makes the UNI grill logo to encourage the tailgating experience?
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #75
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Thanks for the information but I was just being sarcastic. I know that there was a weekend late in the season either last year or the year before that there was a Basketball game before the Football game and Volleyball game after. That was a fun filled day.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #76
Panther'73

Quote:
Thanks for the information but I was just being sarcastic. I know that there was a weekend late in the season either last year or the year before that there was a Basketball game before the Football game and Volleyball game after. That was a fun filled day.
There is another day like this in November this year...
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #77
JayJ79

speaking of which, UNI volleyball is playing Missouri State on Saturday night at 7. So those looking for a full day of Panther awesomeness should stop by the McLeod Center after the football game. FB ticket gets you into the VB match for free.

The Bears were essentially tied with the Panthers for second in the preseason MVC poll, so it will likely be a good match.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #78
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Troy should check his facts. I got this straight from the UNI Policies & Procedure Manual which is available on line at http://www.uni.edu/policies/1318.

This is the Tailgating Policy, notice line 1 where it says "is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics."

Tailgating
Tailgating is defined as an on-campus public outdoor social event that involves the consumption of food and/or alcoholic beverages. Individuals, groups, and organizations participating in tailgate activities are responsible for their own conduct and expected to respect the rights of others. Any purchase, possession, or consumption of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with tailgating is subject to Iowa law and the provisions of this policy.
1.Tailgating is allowed only in conjunction with UNI home football games and is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics, which shall be responsible to: 1.Define approved locations.
2.Manage parking.
3.Provide signage clearly explaining participant guidelines.
4.Schedule placement of security.
5.Provide adequate supply of portable restrooms.
6.Provide adequate supply of trash and recycling containers, and manage post-event cleanup.
7.Restrict loud music, public address system use, and other disruptive activities.

2.Participant guidelines 1.Tailgating may not begin more than four hours prior to the published starting time of the event and is not permitted at any time during game-time play. Post-event tailgating may not begin prior to the end of the game-time and shall cease no later than one hour after the end of the event.
2.Alcoholic beverages must be limited to a maximum container size of one gallon. All common sources of alcohol, including but not limited to kegs, punch bowls, beer balls, beer bongs, beer taps, plastic bats, or excessive amounts of alcohol in bottles or cases, are prohibited.
3.Glass bottles and containers are prohibited.
4.Charcoal grills are permitted for cooking. No open fires are permitted.
5.Smoking is prohibited on University property, per Iowa law.
6.Any person damaging University property will be held responsible according to the law.
7.Tailgaters are responsible for picking up their trash and taking it with them or disposing of it in trash receptacles provided by the University.
8.Requests to park vehicles and stay overnight in University parking lots the night prior to an event must be made to and approved by the Department of Public Safety at least two weeks in advance of the event. Those allowed to stay must comply with relevant University policies and directives provided by Public Safety.
9.Any corporate, business, sales, or other commercial activity associated with tailgating is subject to approval of UNI Athletics.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #79
TH1974

Line 2: "Tailgating may not begin more than four hours prior..."
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #80
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
Line 2: "Tailgating may not begin more than four hours prior..."
Good point. As Americans we've all been taught never to question authority...
Panther/Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #81
Geno4UNI
New Guy

But "Tailgating is defined as an on-campus public outdoor social event that involves the consumption of food and/or alcoholic beverages." So as I read it if I want to not eat and drink soda or coffee or anything else that is non-alcoholic I can show as up early as I want to.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #82
TH1974

Quote:
But "Tailgating is defined as an on-campus public outdoor social event that involves the consumption of food and/or alcoholic beverages." So as I read it if I want to not eat and drink soda or coffee or anything else that is non-alcoholic I can show as up early as I want to.
Touche. .
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #83
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
I see what you did ... and like it.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #84
Geno4UNI
New Guy

And I will have a copy of the policy on tailgating with me.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #85
Panther/Statesman
Purple over the desert

So we promise not to pop a beer before 4 hours and Barney leaves us alone. Done!
Panther/Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #86
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Troy should check his facts. I got this straight from the UNI Policies & Procedure Manual which is available on line at http://www.uni.edu/policies/1318.

This is the Tailgating Policy, notice line 1 where it says "is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics."

Tailgating
Tailgating is defined as an on-campus public outdoor social event that involves the consumption of food and/or alcoholic beverages. Individuals, groups, and organizations participating in tailgate activities are responsible for their own conduct and expected to respect the rights of others. Any purchase, possession, or consumption of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with tailgating is subject to Iowa law and the provisions of this policy.
1.Tailgating is allowed only in conjunction with UNI home football games and is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics, which shall be responsible to: 1.Define approved locations.
2.Manage parking.
3.Provide signage clearly explaining participant guidelines.
4.Schedule placement of security.
5.Provide adequate supply of portable restrooms.
6.Provide adequate supply of trash and recycling containers, and manage post-event cleanup.
7.Restrict loud music, public address system use, and other disruptive activities.

2.Participant guidelines 1.Tailgating may not begin more than four hours prior to the published starting time of the event and is not permitted at any time during game-time play. Post-event tailgating may not begin prior to the end of the game-time and shall cease no later than one hour after the end of the event.
2.Alcoholic beverages must be limited to a maximum container size of one gallon. All common sources of alcohol, including but not limited to kegs, punch bowls, beer balls, beer bongs, beer taps, plastic bats, or excessive amounts of alcohol in bottles or cases, are prohibited.
3.Glass bottles and containers are prohibited.
4.Charcoal grills are permitted for cooking. No open fires are permitted.
5.Smoking is prohibited on University property, per Iowa law.
6.Any person damaging University property will be held responsible according to the law.
7.Tailgaters are responsible for picking up their trash and taking it with them or disposing of it in trash receptacles provided by the University.
8.Requests to park vehicles and stay overnight in University parking lots the night prior to an event must be made to and approved by the Department of Public Safety at least two weeks in advance of the event. Those allowed to stay must comply with relevant University policies and directives provided by Public Safety.
9.Any corporate, business, sales, or other commercial activity associated with tailgating is subject to approval of UNI Athletics.
Uh? What facts should he get straight? Looks to me he has them already. The University sets the rules and the Athletic Department has to manage (enforce) them on game day.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #87
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther/Statesman View Post
So we promise not to pop a beer before 4 hours and Barney leaves us alone. Done!
cant eat either
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #88
Geno4UNI
New Guy

Troy stated that the "Tailgating rules at UNI are established by the Department of Public Safety." It is clearly stated in the Policy that tailgating "is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics". I understand he was probably not at UNI when the Policy was written but you manage it and oversee it so don't push it off as you have nothing to do with it and it's a DPS issue.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #89
TH1974

Quote:
Troy stated that the "Tailgating rules at UNI are established by the Department of Public Safety." It is clearly stated in the Policy that tailgating "is subject to the management and oversight of UNI Athletics". I understand he was probably not at UNI when the Policy was written but you manage it and oversee it so don't push it off as you have nothing to do with it and it's a DPS issue.
Did you even read your own link?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #90
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
What don't you understand about the policy and the management of it? THE POLICY HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND THE POLICY IS SUBJECT TO THE MANAGEMENT AND OVERSIGHT OF UNI ATHLETICS! UNI athletics can't just change the policy. They, ath. dept., must enforce the policy because they sponsor the events that lead to tailgating.

Troy has offered to go to the Dept. of Public Safety and see if they would change the policy if people come to him with a bonifide reason to extend the hours. Extending the hours because people want more time for drinking is not a bonifide reason.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #91
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say they want more drinking time....

We go early to get set up and enjoy a nice day with friends, family, and our fellow UNI fans. Its a great way for us out of towners to make a day of it. I don't think I've ever seen any rowdy or drunk fans south of the Dome.
TravelingPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #92
BCPanther
PN Crusader

We have people coming from three states and a bunch more from across the state this weekend. Its a great chance for friends to catch up. Its about the only time all year all of us can be together.

Its about the event. Its not about the beer.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #93
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
I haven't seen anyone in this thread say they want more drinking time....
Who speaks for them ... shouldn't they have a seat at the table?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #94
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther

We're out here drinking and have our tents and sleeping bags set up!
TravelingPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #95
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

You can't orchestrate great tailgating. It has to develop over time. In Ames, our has grown to more than 100 people and we put a lot of work (and money) into it.

There are rules ... and there are practices. It sounds like you can tailgate earlier if you want to do so, just expect to be checked by the police. If demand increases, especially for tailgates that are more than drunk-fests, the policies will be adapted. I hear Troy asking to hear from us who want to tailgate more and earlier. If he hasn't heard directly from anyone except for the question in the forum, why should he take seriously the possibility of pursuing a policy change.

When I started a thread about tailgating a few months ago, some made some fairly disparaging remarks about UNI tailgating. And while it isn't the same as in Ames and Iowa City, I found the tailgating before the Drake game to be pretty good, even though it was very hot.

If you really care about this issue, make a nice petition, get a few dozen people to sign it (or do an online version on this site), and give it to the AD. It seems like they are open to the possibility, if the facts warrant it.

P.S. I suspect that the 4 hour limit is mostly an economic matter for the campus police. If they don't have a time limit, then they probably would need to increase staff significantly, even if only a few people show up to tailgate earlier. However, if there is demand from true UNI fans to tailgate more, I doubt that the campus police would hesitate at all to provide security.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote