Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #36
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

There are 5 scholarships available for 2018.
Lohaus, Hunter R., Carlson, Koch, Friedman.
It's suspected that maybe McDermott gets one of those scholarships.

As is, the roster looks like this in Fall 2018:
PG: McCloud (Jr.)
SG: Haldeman (Jr.), McDermott (Jr.)
SF: Brown (Jr.---pending no RS), Conrey (Jr.)
PF: McDonnell (Jr.), T.Lohaus (RSo or Jr)
C: Dahl (Jr.), Phyfe (RFr./So.)

Lots of juniors there.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
unipanther2154

It will take a special offer for him not to be here. I do unfortunately think that offer will come in the next 6 months. It's a complete over reaction to pretend like him not coming here hurts recruiting. If he takes a crap offer over us, then maybe.
unipanther2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #38
sivert

In the regulated world of college athletics, it seems like one of the only ways to monetarily influence a recruit is to give his father or an influential coach an assistant job. So . . . Is Kyle pretty settled?
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #39
unipanther2154

He is settled for sure
unipanther2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #40
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
I don't like hearing he's getting a lot of interest from high majors. I just don't like our chances, maybe it's just cause it seems too good to be true. If he doesn't come here, how do you sell a kid to come here when an Assistants kid doesn't?

I don't agree with that sentiment at all. If he doesn't choose UNI, its going to be some great program that gets him. Its not like he is going to go to North Dakota or something. If he wants to get out of the town he grew up in to go play at Wisconsin or North Carolina or whatever, I completely understand.

That said, I REALLY hope he opts to stay home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #41
'70 Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
There are 5 scholarships available for 2018.
Lohaus, Hunter R., Carlson, Koch, Friedman.
It's suspected that maybe McDermott gets one of those scholarships.

As is, the roster looks like this in Fall 2018:
PG: McCloud (Jr.)
SG: Haldeman (Jr.), McDermott (Jr.)
SF: Brown (Jr.---pending no RS), Conrey (Jr.)
PF: McDonnell (Jr.), T.Lohaus (RSo or Jr)
C: Dahl (Jr.), Phyfe (RFr./So.)

Lots of juniors there.
And NO seniors! The previous year (17-18 ) looks to be a senior/sophomore campaign. But then one never knows - transfers/JCs in & transfers out.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #42
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3558
RECRUITING NOTES
Gabe Kalscheur has offers from Minnesota, North Dakota, and Northern Iowa. He listed Wisconsin, Indiana, Arkansas, Marquette, and Toledo as schools showing interest.

Joey Hauser has offers from Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Marquette, Virginia, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa. The schools currently expressing interest include Gonzaga, Ohio State, and Stanford among others.

Keshawn Justice has offers from Northern Iowa, Green Bay, Drake, and Milwaukee. Wisconsin, Marquette, Virginia, Nebraska, and others have been interested.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #43
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Updated the list on the front page for everyone.
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #44
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Guys, hate to say it, but I'm now in the AJ Green is going High Major camp. If he was coming here, there wouldn't be an active recruitment going on and he'd have committed.

Can't blame the kid, but man its going to sting...
Old 07-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #45
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipanther2154 View Post
He is settled for sure
If by "settled", you mean settled until a high major comes along shortly and offers to double or triple his salary and his son happens to commit shortly thereafter- we agree.
panther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #46
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Guys, hate to say it, but I'm now in the AJ Green is going High Major camp. If he was coming here, there wouldn't be an active recruitment going on and he'd have committed.

Can't blame the kid, but man its going to sting...
My sources have told me that Coach Green told AJ to play out all of his options and wait until he's sure before choosing a school. It doesn't rule out him coming to UNI, but also doesn't rule out him choosing another school.
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #47
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

We will be fine.

I'm at the point of barely even following recruiting anymore. Jake's gonna bring in good players and we are going to keep winning. Hopefully, AJ is a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #48
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
We will be fine.

I'm at the point of barely even following recruiting anymore. Jake's gonna bring in good players and we are going to keep winning. Hopefully, AJ is a part of it.
This was my point in a round-about way. We'll be fine, but I just don't think AJ is going to be a part of it. This program has become too good to be that reliant on getting any single recruit.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #49
UNIAlum2010

We just offered Blake Brinkmeyer 2018 PF from DSM Valley. I just found the one tweet about him being around 6'7 currently. Otherwise hard to find much information on him including his high school stats from last year as he doesn't appear to be on the Valley's roster last year (transfer/injury maybe?)

https://twitter.com/brinkmeyer53/sta...96353222930434

https://twitter.com/INBRecruits/stat...88988864995329
UNIAlum2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #50
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

He was probably playing with the Sophomore team last year if he's a 2018 class member
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #51
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther-state View Post
He was probably playing with the Sophomore team last year if he's a 2018 class member
Well yea. I think he was implying that it seems a little unusual for an Iowa HS player (outside of Barnes) to get a an offer without having played varsity basketball.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #52
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Yeah but coaches usually follow the AAU circuit much more closely than the HS season. Valley did win state last year with some very talented front and back court athletes so it's not like this kid was just some scrub. With about 3 or 4 potential PF's (by Iowa HS standards) it was probably in the best interest that this kid see more time and reps at lower level. Pretty sure the Tigers were extremely formidable at all levels last year .

Although as an employee and coach in the district I'm unfamiliar with this kid so I'm perplexed too. He'll certainly get Varsity mins this year as returning star PF Quinton Curry suffered a serious injury this summer and will miss all of the upcoming football and (probably) basketball season.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #53
SteinPizza

Quote:
Yeah but coaches usually follow the AAU circuit much more closely than the HS season. Valley did win state last year with some very talented front and back court athletes so it's not like this kid was just some scrub. With about 3 or 4 potential PF's (by Iowa HS standards) it was probably in the best interest that this kid see more time and reps at lower level. Pretty sure the Tigers were extremely formidable at all levels last year .

Although as an employee and coach in the district I'm unfamiliar with this kid so I'm perplexed too. He'll certainly get Varsity mins this year as returning star PF Quinton Curry suffered a serious injury this summer and will miss all of the upcoming football and (probably) basketball season.
I did a quick look, and this Brinkmeyer kid didn't play in the state championship game vs. IC. Curry, however, was easily the best player on the floor that night. McCafrrey and Lohaus didn't do much, but Curry really stood out. At times he looked like a man against boys, and keep in mind he was only a JR at the time. I had not heard he was injured, that's really unfortunate. My understanding is he's a TE prospect in football too.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #54
UNIAlum2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
I did a quick look, and this Brinkmeyer kid didn't play in the state championship game vs. IC. Curry, however, was easily the best player on the floor that night. McCafrrey and Lohaus didn't do much, but Curry really stood out. At times he looked like a man against boys, and keep in mind he was only a JR at the time. I had not heard he was injured, that's really unfortunate. My understanding is he's a TE prospect in football too.
Curry has been impressive since seeing him his freshman year at Valley. What I have read about him being a college prospect is that most seem to think that he is a bit of a tweener. He is not quick enough to play SF and not big enough to be a PF. It sounds like Drake has considered offering him at times but appears to be a borderline D2/D1 prospect from his recruitment. I was also a little surprised his recruiting wasn't heavier the last few years.

As far as Brinkmeyer, I was just a little surprised that he wasn't playing varsity as a sophomore if we are offering him (as well as North Dakota). I understand Valley was pretty stacked last year but I find it odd. How many UNI recruits the past few years didn't play varsity as a sophomore? It does sound like he had a pretty impressive summer so he will probably have a breakout year.
UNIAlum2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #55
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIAlum2010 View Post
Curry has been impressive since seeing him his freshman year at Valley. What I have read about him being a college prospect is that most seem to think that he is a bit of a tweener. He is not quick enough to play SF and not big enough to be a PF. It sounds like Drake has considered offering him at times but appears to be a borderline D2/D1 prospect from his recruitment. I was also a little surprised his recruiting wasn't heavier the last few years.

As far as Brinkmeyer, I was just a little surprised that he wasn't playing varsity as a sophomore if we are offering him (as well as North Dakota). I understand Valley was pretty stacked last year but I find it odd. How many UNI recruits the past few years didn't play varsity as a sophomore? It does sound like he had a pretty impressive summer so he will probably have a breakout year.
I agree with the not starting comment. Even at the large school level here, some of the best teams' best players are DII types. That's Iowa HS basketball. That said, obviously the coaches saw something in him at AAU. He also could be more of a late bloomer (especially as a big), could've been hurt, who knows? I vaguely remember hearing his name somewhere, mentioned as a recruit. A Valley coach, parent, something like that.

Dowling also has a big guy about the same age who's gotten some good publicity for his play this summer. Can't remember his name, but he did play last year on a pretty good team.

Edit: the Dowling player above is Sam Ingoli. He's playing in the same Barnstormers team as AJ Green, Joey Hauser, Weiskamp, etc. I have no idea of what his projected upside/playing level is.

Last edited by SteinPizza; 08-03-2016 at 03:22 PM.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #56
ceaser150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
I agree with the not starting comment. Even at the large school level here, some of the best teams' best players are DII types. That's Iowa HS basketball. That said, obviously the coaches saw something in him at AAU. He also could be more of a late bloomer (especially as a big), could've been hurt, who knows? I vaguely remember hearing his name somewhere, mentioned as a recruit. A Valley coach, parent, something like that.

Dowling also has a big guy about the same age who's gotten some good publicity for his play this summer. Can't remember his name, but he did play last year on a pretty good team.

Edit: the Dowling player above is Sam Ingoli. He's playing in the same Barnstormers team as AJ Green, Joey Hauser, Weiskamp, etc. I have no idea of what his projected upside/playing level is.
Ingoli has had a North Dakota offer too for quite a while, but that is his only offer. He looks a lot like Harrison Barnes. Decent jump shot. A few more inches and I would guess he would really blow up.
ceaser150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #57
UNIhoops

Shae Mitchell offered.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/shae-mitchell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM-fas5ThRE
UNIhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #58
ceaser150

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIhoops View Post
Jeremy Morgan 2.0?
ceaser150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #59
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

What is happening in Iowa City in terms of BB recruitment? Is this the best week ever for Mad Fran? Wonder if it will have any impact on local kids being recruited by UNI.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #60
NEI Panther

Seems a little weird to me that they picked up two more bigs. 1,2, and some 3 will need to be played between 5 guys counting Fran's son next year. The rest of the lineup is made up of big 3's, 4's and 5's.
NEI Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #61
UNIDebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEI Panther View Post
Seems a little weird to me that they picked up two more bigs. 1,2, and some 3 will need to be played between 5 guys counting Fran's son next year. The rest of the lineup is made up of big 3's, 4's and 5's.
Force them to run half court offense. They where bad at that before with decent guards, now what is he thinking?
UNIDebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #62
CyCarp

They'll be over a scholarship too. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

EDIT: Check that - Dale Jones was already given a 6th year for the 2017-2018 season, so Iowa is over TWO scholarships for 2017-2018 and one for 2018-2019. Any bets that Fran will pull a Mc$ and pay for his kid a year or two?

Last edited by CyCarp; 09-12-2016 at 06:07 PM.
CyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #63
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
They'll be over a scholarship too. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

EDIT: Check that - Dale Jones was already given a 6th year for the 2017-2018 season, so Iowa is over TWO scholarships for 2017-2018 and one for 2018-2019. Any bets that Fran will pull a Mc$ and pay for his kid a year or two?
It's already been documented that Connor could redshirt. The other one, who knows.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #64
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
It's already been documented that Connor could redshirt. The other one, who knows.
That doesn't really change the scholarship situation though. I've never seen somebody lose their scholarship because they take a RS their freshman year.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #65
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
That doesn't really change the scholarship situation though. I've never seen somebody lose their scholarship because they take a RS their freshman year.
Could be a 4 for 5 situation though right? Like what we did with Carlson
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #66
CyCarp

Quote:
Could be a 4 for 5 situation though right? Like what we did with Carlson
I guess I'm not 100% sure, maybe somebody else here can clarify. I always assumed that guys who RS would get 5 years on scholarship, unless they agreed to turn a year down. I'm not 100% sure on the Carlson situation, but if you look at last year for UNI, Haldeman, McDonnell, and Dahl all counted towards our 13 scholarships. I'm assuming they'll all be on scholarship for their remaining 4 years of eligibility (if all stick around obviously). Anybody?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #67
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

A player can go on or off scholarship at any time. UNI has done 5-for-5's, 4-for-4's, 4-for-5's (Carlson, Jake Koch I believe, Tuttle too was first offered this, but later became a full scholarship from day one), and 3-for-5's (Josten). All counted as scholarship athletes the moment they go on scholarship...doesn't matter if they RS. A scholarship is a scholarship. Just like Doug at Creighton, he became a walk on to help bring in more talent. This wouldn't surprise me if Fran used this tactic.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #68
Codytwo

From a financial perspective, I think it makes most sense for a HC that recruits his own son to pay for tuition. The school already pays the HC a nice salary and then to top that off its okay for him to recruit his own kid and decide that kid is getting free tuition? That seems like a conflict of interest to me.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #69
ubuntuCAT

Are there any negatives to a player being "non-scholarship" besides the check covering tuition/expenses? Is there anything less they can participate in or have access to?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #70
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
From a financial perspective, I think it makes most sense for a HC that recruits his own son to pay for tuition. The school already pays the HC a nice salary and then to top that off its okay for him to recruit his own kid and decide that kid is getting free tuition? That seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Plus, it just seems crazy for the coach not to take advantage of the opportunity to have an extra player on scholarship (e.g. the Omaha school which shall not be named).
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote