Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Recruiting

Panther Recruiting Discuss all things related to Panther recruiting.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #71
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Walk ons can take part in all aspects of the program except scholarship, tuition, board, and COA funding.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #72
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
Are there any negatives to a player being "non-scholarship" besides the check covering tuition/expenses? Is there anything less they can participate in or have access to?
No and no. They are a member of the team, nothing about that changes. They are simply a walk-on. Walk-on players don't get "less" anything compared to scholarship guys
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #73
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
From a financial perspective, I think it makes most sense for a HC that recruits his own son to pay for tuition. The school already pays the HC a nice salary and then to top that off its okay for him to recruit his own kid and decide that kid is getting free tuition? That seems like a conflict of interest to me.
At many smaller private schools, kids can attend tuition free if their parents work there. It's the same concept, although the janitors/faculty at these smaller schools aren't making $1M+ a year that coaches make. Myself I think it looks worse if a coaches kid isn't on scholarship and essentially the coach is paying for a kid who should in no way be a walk on to play. Like McDermott, he was a National POY contender yet consisted a walk on, because Gibbs was given a 15th year and it put them over scholarships.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #74
Codytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
At many smaller private schools, kids can attend tuition free if their parents work there. It's the same concept, although the janitors/faculty at these smaller schools aren't making $1M+ a year that coaches make. Myself I think it looks worse if a coaches kid isn't on scholarship and essentially the coach is paying for a kid who should in no way be a walk on to play. Like McDermott, he was a National POY contender yet consisted a walk on, because Gibbs was given a 15th year and it put them over scholarships.
For every one Doug McDermott there's probably 15 John Lickliters.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #75
CyCarp

Talented 2018 guard Tyrese Haliburton (Oshkosh North / @WisconsinUnited) is on a visit to Northern Iowa today
Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #76
CyCarp

Quote:
Talented 2018 guard Tyrese Haliburton (Oshkosh North / @WisconsinUnited) is on a visit to Northern Iowa today
Haliburton was offered yesterday, per his Twitter.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #77
BCPanther
PN Crusader

We need that kid for his name alone. Sounds bad ass...
Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #78
domedays

His highlight tape showed him hitting from way out but it looks like his shot starts from just above his hip.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #79
CyCarp

Well, I don't think we're getting Oturo...

Kansas has offered 2018 big Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Dedham Hall (MN).
Old 11-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #80
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Well, I don't think we're getting Oturo...

Kansas has offered 2018 big Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Dedham Hall (MN).
Someone, quick, tell him we're undefeated all time against KU and UNC!!!
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #81
CyCarp

A couple guys we've offered visiting Minnesota tomorrow...

Among #Gophers hoops visitors tomorrow: 2018 F Race Thompson (Armstrong HS), + 2018 G AJ Green (Cedar Falls, Iowa). Pitino has offered both.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #82
PurpleCatFan

Appears AJ may be getting farther from being a Panther with every visit he takes The offers seem to be coming to him
PurpleCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #83
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
Appears AJ may be getting farther from being a Panther with every visit he takes The offers seem to be coming to him
I don't pretend to have a clue where AJs going...But I don't think the fact he's taking a few visits means he's further from being at UNI.

If I had a kid in this situation, I'd have him take a close look at all options and enjoy the ride a little bit. You only get the chance to go thru this process once.

Find it hard to believe he'd go to Minnesota and get in the midst of Pitino's mess.

Last edited by Blue42; 12-26-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Blue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #84
unipanther2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
I don't pretend to have a clue where AJs going...But I don't think the fact he's taking a few visits means he's further from being at UNI.

If I had a kid in this situation, I'd have him take a close look at all options and enjoy the ride a little bit. You only get the chance to go thru this process once.

Find it hard to believe he'd go to Minnesota and get in the midst of Pitino's mess.
Besides the point you made above about just getting out and getting to experience this, could the coaching staff be having him do this to get big offers and then just commit here? Like maybe he's said unless I get a offer from (whoever) I will come to uni. I would have to think it could help saying "this power 5 and that power 5 offered but he came here" to future kids.
unipanther2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #85
Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipanther2154 View Post
Besides the point you made above about just getting out and getting to experience this, could the coaching staff be having him do this to get big offers and then just commit here? Like maybe he's said unless I get a offer from (whoever) I will come to uni. I would have to think it could help saying "this power 5 and that power 5 offered but he came here" to future kids.
They could also be using the visits as scouting insider information. Learn more how other programs act and perform. Kinda wishful thinking on my part.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #86
Catmandoo

Maybe he's visiting Minnesota because he thinks there's a chance his Dad and Jake will be coaching there in the near future. Pitino will be gone at the end of the year and I'd think Jake will be near the top of their wish list.
Catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #87
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipanther2154 View Post
I doubt Jake has anywhere near that much control over this. It's between the kid and his parents, period. Or, if it isn't, it should be.

Also, if he falls in love with a P5 program, I'd think his parents would give the ultimate say to him in where he goes. It's ultimately about his comfort level, but it definitely helps to have a father with inside knowledge of some of the program's involved.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #88
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
Maybe he's visiting Minnesota because he thinks there's a chance his Dad and Jake will be coaching there in the near future. Pitino will be gone at the end of the year and I'd think Jake will be near the top of their wish list.
Every single aspect, except maybe Volleyball, of that athletic department is a dumpster fire.

Jake won't go anywhere near that.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #89
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Every single aspect, except maybe Volleyball, of that athletic department is a dumpster fire.

Jake won't go anywhere near that.
Even if he did, I'd think Kyle takes over for Jake in UNI. Might actually increase the chance of AJ coming here
Old 12-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #90
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Even if he did, I'd think Kyle takes over for Jake in UNI. Might actually increase the chance of AJ coming here
I can speak with relative certainty that Kyle is not the coach in waiting. If, and that's a massive if at this point, Jake were to leave the next coach is not currently an employee of the University of Northern Iowa.

Kyle has never been happy as a head coach and would be even less comfortable with the time and media demands of being a Division I head coach.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #91
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
I can speak with relative certainty that Kyle is not the coach in waiting. If, and that's a massive if at this point, Jake were to leave the next coach is not currently an employee of the University of Northern Iowa.

Kyle has never been happy as a head coach and would be even less comfortable with the time and media demands of being a Division I head coach.
Would hate to see Jake leave...And personally I don't think he will...But would be interesting to see the candidates for the job.

Devries from Creighton a likely candidate? Jones from ND in the mix? Anyone from current staff?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #92
PantherAlum 2008

I think Jake has had and will probably continue to have better opportunities, if he is interested, than Minnesota. Texas A&M comes to mind.

From what Jake has said, he really likes it here and I would be very surprised if he were to leave at this point. The program seems to grow in some way each year and I think he realizes that the program is on the rise. Maybe that's just the part of me hoping he doesn't leave that thinks this, who knows.
PantherAlum 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #93
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
Would hate to see Jake leave...And personally I don't think he will...But would be interesting to see the candidates for the job.

Devries from Creighton a likely candidate? Jones from ND in the mix? Anyone from current staff?
It would be a national search. We'd have an attractive opening. Be surprised if it were anyone with UNI ties.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #94
Neighbor

I have a feeling that Jake will close out his coaching career at UNI and then possibly take over an athletic director position. Way, way down the road.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #95
Panther AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherAlum 2008 View Post
I think Jake has had and will probably continue to have better opportunities, if he is interested, than Minnesota. Texas A&M comes to mind.

From what Jake has said, he really likes it here and I would be very surprised if he were to leave at this point. The program seems to grow in some way each year and I think he realizes that the program is on the rise. Maybe that's just the part of me hoping he doesn't leave that thinks this, who knows.
Jake turned down the Texas A&M job several years ago, along with the nearly $2 million they were offering.
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #96
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Jake turned down the Texas A&M job several years ago, along with the nearly $2 million they were offering.

Is that when TAM hired Billy Kennedy, allowing Murray State to promote Steve Prohm, and eventually Iowa State to do so? Interesting the way things connect.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #97
PantherAlum 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Yea, exactly my point when I said Jake has had better opportunities than Minnesota. Obviously I have no clue what they would offer in terms of pay, but the program itself is a mess.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #98
SteinPizza

Quote:
Yea, exactly my point when I said Jake has had better opportunities than Minnesota. Obviously I have no clue what they would offer in terms of pay, but the program itself is a mess.
They're what, 12-2 right now? They lost by 1 in OT to Michigan St last night. Sounds like they're decent, but that doesn't necessarily predict anything long term.

If that stays the course, then there's no vacancy to fill until 2 years down the road at the earliest. I could see why it may appeal to Jake though, should the timing ever work on both sides.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #99
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
They're what, 12-2 right now? They lost by 1 in OT to Michigan St last night. Sounds like they're decent, but that doesn't necessarily predict anything long term.

If that stays the course, then there's no vacancy to fill until 2 years down the road at the earliest. I could see why it may appeal to Jake though, should the timing ever work on both sides.
They were 8-23 last season with 2 Big 10 wins - a miracle upset of Maryland at home and then a win over Rutgers in the next game at home. Rutgers had 1 Big 10 win last year - Minnesota on the final day of the season.

This year their record loos nice at 12-2 but their wins are Louisiana-Lafayette, UT-Arlington, Mount St. Marys, St Johns, Arkansas, SIU, Vnady, NJIT, Georgia Southern, NIU, Long Island and Arkansas State. They are probably better than they were last year, but realistically speaking they are a 5, maybe 6, win Big 10 team.

That university is a complete mess, top to bottom. I mean it is a disaster up there. Do some research on them. Nothing about that, other than being in the B10 conference, is settled and/or appealing. Sexual assault scandals, academic medical research violation, coaches covering up drug selling schemes, athletic directors taking jobs and then instantly leaving, AD sexually assaulting staff members and the president defending the actions, etc... Oh, that's all just the last year or so.

That university is a mess top to bottom. I can't imagine anything about that being appealing.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #100
Catmandoo

Much closer to home in North Dakota, Big Ten school, significantly higher salary. I wouldn't blame him for looking at it, despite the mess.
Catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #101
PantherAlum 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
Much closer to home in North Dakota, Big Ten school, significantly higher salary. I wouldn't blame him for looking at it, despite the mess.
I wonder how much location comes into the decision when you are making that kind of money and can just fly home and pay for people to fly to you whenever you want.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #102
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
I wonder how much location comes into the decision when you are making that kind of money and can just fly home and pay for people to fly to you whenever you want.

I think frequent access of grandparents to grandchildren is often a big issue.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #103
CyCarp

Let's not act like U of Minnesota is a short drive from where he grew up, it's still over 4 hours away. Quite a bit closer, but it's not exactly a quick weekend trip away. I believe he does have a vacation home or cottage in Minnesota and he's known to love fishing, so there are obviously things up north that appeal to him - I just have a hard time seeing that speculation being a huge factor for him myself. Hasn't he commented that he likes the Cedar Valley and would like to see his kids to grow up there? He's a big family guy, can't imagine him uprooting his family unless it's for a perfect fit.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #104
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Let's not act like U of Minnesota is a short drive from where he grew up, it's still over 4 hours away. Quite a bit closer, but it's not exactly a quick weekend trip away. I believe he does have a vacation home or cottage in Minnesota and he's known to love fishing, so there are obviously things up north that appeal to him - I just have a hard time seeing that speculation being a huge factor for him myself. Hasn't he commented that he likes the Cedar Valley and would like to see his kids to grow up there? He's a big family guy, can't imagine him uprooting his family unless it's for a perfect fit.
How did this thread turn into a "Jake is leaving thread" from Green visiting UMN?

Pitino's contract goes through '20-'21, at $2 mill a year. But the kicker is that the buyout is $5.7 million (or was over the summer). Given the U's on-going athletics issues and running debt (about $38 mill from the U to cover the deficit between 2010 and 2014, according to the Chronicle's big story last year), I doubt they will pay him off to leave early.

But, if UND or NDSU ever call ...
Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #105
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
How did this thread turn into a "Jake is leaving thread" from Green visiting UMN?
Because Coach going to Minnesota would hurt the program far more than AJ Green going to Minnesota would, although I feel like both are unlikely. The former far more so than the latter, and the latter being very unlikely.
sevelev711 is offline   Reply With Quote