Follow us on Twitter


Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Football Tailgating

Football Tailgating Sign up for PantherNation tailgating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:56 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,509
Default Did everyone....

Feel safer after halftime yesterday? I know I did.

I felt really bad for the ladies that take tickets. They took the brunt of the complaining and anger with no support from anyone else.

It was weird that a bunch of big donors got right back in...
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
northwest iowa panther
member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:46 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 790
Default Re: Did everyone....

Biggest of donors have their own location to go at halftime. If u noticed there were restricted areas on the outside with port o pots and assume smoking.

For the people that left early for that excuse but were going home to watch ISU/SUI they can stick it in their 😖 their loss!

Props to our students for showing up! They were into early.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:32 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,406
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Feel safer after halftime yesterday? I know I did.

I felt really bad for the ladies that take tickets. They took the brunt of the complaining and anger with no support from anyone else.

It was weird that a bunch of big donors got right back in...
Isn't it, though?
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
vbfan19
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 01:13 AM
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 1,442
Default Re: Did everyone....

I come to football games to watch football. So this policy change doesn't bother me at all.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
PantherChic
Senior Member
 
Last Online: 04-24-2017 12:37 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CF
Posts: 1,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
I come to football games to watch football. So this policy change doesn't bother me at all.
Exactly

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:56 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,509
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
I come to football games to watch football. So this policy change doesn't bother me at all.
Believe it or not, you can do both. Been going out at halftime for years and think I've missed the opening kick once. That was a day we were up something like 38-0 at half.

These things are not mutually exclusive.
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84
 
Born-a-Panther's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-23-2017 06:09 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 4,837
Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther
Default Re: Did everyone....

Sorry BC but I just disagree with you here. The crowd was sparse enough yesterday. It was nice having them all still there at the start of the second half.

And yes, students deserve a ton of props. They claimed all their tickets and most of them stayed put.
__________________
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:00 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,266
Default

The student section was a ghost town after halftime. Without the band staying, it would have been down right embarrassing.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:56 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,509
Default Re: Did everyone....

I'm cool with a difference in opinion.

To be honest, if they would have used that reasoning as to why they were ending re-entry, I would have had a lot more respect for the decision.

Don't hide behind 'safety and security' when there are no safety procedures when I walk into the Dome at the start of the game. It's like saying people that are out to do bad things must have poor time management skills and wouldn't think to purchase a ticket.

It's an absolute asinie and intellectually dishonest reason. Treat your customers like adults. I also watched several pretty prominent people walk right back in yesterday after being across the street while others were hassled. Pretty shady.

I've said my peace. I'm done. I will continue to disagree with the policy, but won't be so vocal about it going forward.

Hey, let's get a W in the middle of the night next weekend!
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Kyle
Member
 
Kyle's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-24-2017 08:42 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,123
Default Re: Did everyone....

My best guess is about 1/2 of the students left, which is par for the course. I was sitting on the west side, so it was tougher to gauge how much we lost, but my specific section looked to be at 75% of first half capacity.

I watched an interesting exchange next to me at halftime. Three kids asking Dad if he brought any extra tickets, explaining their intension to go out and toss around the football with friends while still heading back in for the second half. The kids were getting pretty finicky toward the end of the first half and even brought their footballs into the Dome with them. Dad said no he sold the extra tix.

Mom and kids all left and never returned. Dad stayed to watch and told Mom sorry before she left and he'll be sure to snag a bunch of $5 tix when UNI runs their occasional discount deal. It looked like one of those deals where the kids were a little too young to be out my themselves for an extended period of time w/out parent supervision and Mom/Dad were sorta drawing straws as to who was gonna miss the second half. I felt bad for them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974
This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Kyle
Member
 
Kyle's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-24-2017 08:42 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,123
Default Re: Did everyone....

And I have no issue with the big donors getting back in. In fact, I think it's a great idea. They should get as much special treatment as we are able to offer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974
This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
06panther10
Bleeds Purple
 
06panther10's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:24 PM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CF
Posts: 10,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
And I have no issue with the big donors getting back in. In fact, I think it's a great idea. They should get as much special treatment as we are able to offer.

I agree. People getting pissed off that people who give a ton of money to UNI are getting special privileges. LOL, that's rich.
__________________
UNI FIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
northwest iowa panther
member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:46 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 790
Default Re: Did everyone....

I agree also on special treatment--those big donors should be given all the perks we can muster. I wish I had the money to be with them.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 09:56 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,509
Default Re: Did everyone....

I don't disagree, but you have to do it quietly. You can't pick and choose who you're letting through in a very public way.

Done now. I promise. I'm over it. I'll live with a tradition dying. It's not like I'm going to stop going to games over it. Go Panthers!
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
havok58
Member
 
Last Online: 04-17-2017 04:07 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
I don't disagree, but you have to do it quietly. You can't pick and choose who you're letting through in a very public way.
This. As long as the donors have their own designated exit / re-entry area it shouldn't draw the ire of the rest of the public and spare the ticket takers from the grumbling. It would be even better if it was advertised (and maybe it is) that at a certain donor level you can get re-entry to the game after halftime). Now if those same donors are trying to get back in through other doors, I can see where some drama could occur.

As for the kids, maybe designate the grassy area on the east side of the dome as a kid's play area. That's a bit of a jaunt to possibly deter people from going back to the tailgating area.
havok58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
achrist70
Senior Member
 
achrist70's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE of the Dome
Posts: 5,772
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
My best guess is about 1/2 of the students left, which is par for the course. I was sitting on the west side, so it was tougher to gauge how much we lost, but my specific section looked to be at 75% of first half capacity.

I watched an interesting exchange next to me at halftime. Three kids asking Dad if he brought any extra tickets, explaining their intension to go out and toss around the football with friends while still heading back in for the second half. The kids were getting pretty finicky toward the end of the first half and even brought their footballs into the Dome with them. Dad said no he sold the extra tix.

Mom and kids all left and never returned. Dad stayed to watch and told Mom sorry before she left and he'll be sure to snag a bunch of $5 tix when UNI runs their occasional discount deal. It looked like one of those deals where the kids were a little too young to be out my themselves for an extended period of time w/out parent supervision and Mom/Dad were sorta drawing straws as to who was gonna miss the second half. I felt bad for them.
Maybe we need some sort of kids area that parents can take their kids at half and still be able to return, I am sure that wasn't the only case of kids getting restless towards half time.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Kyle
Member
 
Kyle's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-24-2017 08:42 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,123
Default Re: Did everyone....

Parents with young children are one of the only groups who are going to be negatively affected by this policy, which is a shame because I see a ton of kids at UNI games.

Last weekend I went to both the Iowa and ISU/UNI game. I can count on both hands the number of kids I saw under the age of 12. For whatever reason UNI's product appeals more to young families than your average college football game.

To me, this policy still feels like a solution in search of a problem.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974
This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #18
hoopfan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:13 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 786
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Parents with young children are one of the only groups who are going to be negatively affected by this policy, which is a shame because I see a ton of kids at UNI games.

Last weekend I went to both the Iowa and ISU/UNI game. I can count on both hands the number of kids I saw under the age of 12. For whatever reason UNI's product appeals more to young families than your average college football game.

To me, this policy still feels like a solution in search of a problem.
Price of admission is likely one reason UNI appeals to young families. A winning product will also help.
hoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84
 
Born-a-Panther's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-23-2017 06:09 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 4,837
Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopfan View Post
Price of admission is likely one reason UNI appeals to young families. A winning product will also help.
And access to athletes. The tradition of going on the field after a game is a big one.
__________________
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #20
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: Yesterday 05:23 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,158
Default Re: Did everyone....

So, how has tailgating been this year? I got to CF twice last season and am still holding out hope for a playoff game.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #21
FOTY
Senior Member
 
FOTY's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 01:08 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Likely behind a windshield
Posts: 1,946
Default Re: Did everyone....

The two games have been very well tailgated. Homecoming was the fullest I've ever seen it. The grass lot South of the Dike lot was packed by 11:30. People were parking everywhere... Was surprised to see it with our record at the time, but loved seeing it.
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #22
PantherChic
Senior Member
 
Last Online: 04-24-2017 12:37 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CF
Posts: 1,422
Default

Homecoming tailgating was great! It was a beautiful day and the crowd for the parade, tailgating and the game was far bigger than I expected.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #23
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: Yesterday 05:23 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,158
Default Re: Did everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTY View Post
The two games have been very well tailgated. Homecoming was the fullest I've ever seen it. The grass lot South of the Dike lot was packed by 11:30. People were parking everywhere... Was surprised to see it with our record at the time, but loved seeing it.

Glad to hear it. UNI has some great tailgating areas. Last year for the playoff game, I discovered the intramural field behind the Dome. We loved the view of the Dome after dark.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


© Copyright 2004-2017 Panther Nation.  All rights reserved.
PantherNation.com is not affiliated with the University Of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panthers.