Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Where Are They Now?

Where Are They Now? Where are former UNI athletes and what are they doing now?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #246
sivert

Default Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

Nice run. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-Jukin-Johnson
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #247
Kyle

David Johnson > Packer Defense
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #248
Codytwo

I've heard a lot of discussion about DJ being a 1st round fantasy pick next year.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #249
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

I would say that the packer offensive line was a sieve, but a sieve actually is able to prevent _something_ from going straight through

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #250
GonzoCat

I agree, can't remember when I've seen the Packers look so bad, maybe in the 70's. They gave up more points off turnovers tonight than they did in the first 14 games combined. That team has some real problems, doesn't look like one that could possibly win a playoff game.

Thought the refs should have blown the whistle on every pass play as there were 2 or 3 Arizona players unabated to the qb.

Wish DJ could have got more than one td since it was going to be a total thrashing.

The Cardinals on the other hand look like they really have all the pieces and all fitting together nicely.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #251
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
I agree, can't remember when I've seen the Packers look so bad, maybe in the 70's. They gave up more points off turnovers tonight than they did in the first 14 games combined. That team has some real problems, doesn't look like one that could possibly win a playoff game.

Thought the refs should have blown the whistle on every pass play as there were 2 or 3 Arizona players unabated to the qb.

Wish DJ could have got more than one td since it was going to be a total thrashing.

The Cardinals on the other hand look like they really have all the pieces and all fitting together nicely.
The Packers have been hit really hard by O Line injuries. When you don't have any cohesion in that group, it makes it really tough. So much is dependent on communication, footwork, knowing what someone else is doing without it being verbalized, etc. It almost always takes playing together consistently to achieve it. Defenses will find a way to exploit your weak link.

I'm no Packer fan, but keep up with them since they've been the class of the Bears division. Personally, I don't think a healthy Jordy Nelson would help them near as much as some think. Between the O Line woes, Eddie Lacy semi-drama, dropped passes, etc., they're would be some negative stuff going on with them even with Nelson.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:53 AM   #252
vbfan19

Quote:
why would they do that? are you implying that the Arizona defenders were offsides?
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #253
GonzoCat

It was a joke. Sort of. They didn't have to be offsides, they were unabated to the qb because no one on the oline ever blocked anyone. Obviously the refs can't call that for that reason.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #254
domedays

Quote:

At the beginning of the season I certainly would not have thought that the downside to a Cardinal game would be DJ only getting one touchdown, and he easily could have had more. 13 TD's is amazing.
DJ is lucky to have joined an offense that was really putting things together. Being picked in the third round, DJ could not have found a better team to join.
domedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #255
CincyPanther88

Better rookie than DJ. Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #256
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

None. And you can easily make the argument that he is the best RB in the NFL since he became the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #257
CaptnKirk
Working Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news...-steal-packers
CaptnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #258
Cannic88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
unfortunately...Amari Cooper...
Old 12-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #259
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnKirk View Post
If the word of four guys who live in their mom's basements carries any weight, he's in good shape.

Watching this past month of Johnson's play only frustrates me again - he should've gotten 25 touches every game in 2014.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #260
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
If the word of four guys who live in their mom's basements carries any weight, he's in good shape.

Watching this past month of Johnson's play only frustrates me again - he should've gotten 25 touches every game in 2014.
might have helped him. might have worn him out or got him injured.
At Arizona, he has the benefit of:
  • a strong offensive line
  • skilled coaches who are great at calling plays which maximize the skillsets of the players on the field
  • a quarterback (who is actually skilled at throwing the ball, not just running) and a talented receiver corps which gives defenses something to worry about other than keying on the run
Old 12-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #261
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannic88 View Post
unfortunately...Amari Cooper...
He's been doing it all year too.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #262
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Could you imagine if Christian McCaffery of Stanford somehow ended up with DJ in the same backfield?

Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #263
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Could you imagine if Christian McCaffery of Stanford somehow ended up with DJ in the same backfield?

That kid is a dynamo. He's 6'0", 201 lbs., which isn't super tiny (but could be a little bigger). He could be a great weapon on a team like the Cardinals.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:47 AM   #264
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post

Or Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles. At the NFL level, they're all three basically the same type of player.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #265
GonzoCat

Did anyone see the AZ/SEA game? I was shocked by the score, but of course only got to see the highlights which were all SEA plays. Obviously DJ did not add to his TD mark, did he get any yardage? Did AZ even play skill position starters knowing the game made no difference?

Having just seen AZ completely dominate the Packers last week, I did not think any team could completely dominate them. Especially one the pack had already beaten. Funny game. Of course the Packer team of late bears little resemblance to the one from early in the year.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #266
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

DJ had 11 carries for 25 yards. I don't think Arizona had a ton to play for yesterday (except a very slight chance at home field, which Carolina squashed by crushing TB), and played accordingly. They'll be ready in the playoffs.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #267
SteinPizza

Seattle is also a very hot team right now. Stumbling/injures earlier in the year gave them a bad seed, but they'll be extremely tough for anyone to beat.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #268
BCPanther
PN Crusader

In Year 1, DJ is already on the 'let's pull him and not let him get hurt for the playoffs' list.

What a year.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #269
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Did anyone see the AZ/SEA game? I was shocked by the score, but of course only got to see the highlights which were all SEA plays. Obviously DJ did not add to his TD mark, did he get any yardage? Did AZ even play skill position starters knowing the game made no difference?

Having just seen AZ completely dominate the Packers last week, I did not think any team could completely dominate them. Especially one the pack had already beaten. Funny game. Of course the Packer team of late bears little resemblance to the one from early in the year.
The game yesterday was over in the first half, maybe the first quarter. Pretty much anything that could have gone wrong for AZ did. They looked as bad, if not worse than the Packers did last week. The only upside is that I think they escaped the game without any new major injuries.

I'm fairly certain that Bruce Arians will require medical attention for the conniption that occurred at half-time/after the game.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #270
sivert

One of the announcers yesterday said that DJ had more yards from scrimmage than any other player in the NFL in December.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #271
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:

Yeah, it was brutal. So brutal, that the network changed games in our market, so I only saw part of the first half. But what I saw was a Seattle defense that was really, really good and controlling.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #272
GonzoCat

Well I hope they get something figured out because they play the same team in 2 weeks.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #273
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

Quote:
Well I hope they get something figured out because they play the same team in 2 weeks.
Actually, Seattle is the 6 seed. If they beat Minnesota next week, they will go to Carolina in two weeks.

Arizona can host 3-Minnesota, 4-Washington, 5-Green Bay
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #274
vbfan19

Arians said in the postgame that this past week of practice was disappointing, and the game performance just exhibited that fact. Though that may just be the typical coachspeak spin.

I'm no expert, but it didn't really appear that DJ had many holes/running lanes to work with, and the Seattle defense closed in on him quite quickly. Also, Carson Palmer was definitely off his game this week, with passes being off target, and many instances of QB and WR just not being on the same page. I'm wondering if the dislocated fingers on his throwing hand are causing issues.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #275
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
Arians said in the postgame that this past week of practice was disappointing, and the game performance just exhibited that fact. Though that may just be the typical coachspeak spin.

I'm no expert, but it didn't really appear that DJ had many holes/running lanes to work with, and the Seattle defense closed in on him quite quickly. Also, Carson Palmer was definitely off his game this week, with passes being off target, and many instances of QB and WR just not being on the same page. I'm wondering if the dislocated fingers on his throwing hand are causing issues.
One of the announcers - before our market bailed - said that Palmer had changed something about his throwing to deal with the disloaction against the Eagles a few weeks ago and that affected his throwing. I don't recall him saying how, though.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #276
GonzoCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats View Post
Actually, Seattle is the 6 seed. If they beat Minnesota next week, they will go to Carolina in two weeks.

Arizona can host 3-Minnesota, 4-Washington, 5-Green Bay
So there really is no set bracket even though one has been published everywhere? I guess I should have known that, this isn't my first NFL playoffs.

Well that being the case AZ has a much easier route to the NFC championship game. I'd say the odds of SEA "upsetting" Minnesota are about 73%. Will be rooting for the Vikes in that one though, which is pretty rare.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #277
SteinPizza

Quote:
So there really is no set bracket even though one has been published everywhere? I guess I should have known that, this isn't my first NFL playoffs.

Well that being the case AZ has a much easier route to the NFC championship game. I'd say the odds of SEA "upsetting" Minnesota are about 73%. Will be rooting for the Vikes in that one though, which is pretty rare.
AZ gets beat somewhere along the way if Palmer can't throw effectively.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #278
GonzoCat

I think Palmer will be throwing fine in two weeks. I think he threw fine against Green Bay a week ago, maybe just had an off day against Seattle if his numbers were off. Or Seattle's defense is very good, which it is.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #279
sivert

Quote:
I think Palmer will be throwing fine in two weeks. I think he threw fine against Green Bay a week ago, maybe just had an off day against Seattle if his numbers were off. Or Seattle's defense is very good, which it is.
Probably - but why play? Especially if the O-Line is going to play poorly. Seems like a big risk to play Palmer when one sack could mean end of season.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #280
ronfitch
UNI Alum

"David Johnson NFL Offensive Player Of Month

David Johnson might have gotten too late of a start this season to be named rookie of the year in the NFL, but his finish was impressive enough to earn him NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month honors to end the season.
Johnson, who got his chance after injuries to Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington, was the engine that made the

Cardinals’ offense run over their 4-1 closing kick. Highlighted by his 187-yard rushing day in Philadelphia, Johnson ran for 442 yards and had 658 total yards rushing and receiving, leading all rookies in both categories in that stretch.
He also scored five touchdowns, making a late push for that aforementioned rookie of the year bid.
For the season, Johnson had 1,636 total yards – he also returned kickoffs much of the season – and scored a franchise rookie record 13 total touchdowns. He became just the fourth player in NFL history to have 500 rushing yards, 400 receiving yards, 500 kickoff return yards and 13 touchdowns, following Timmy Brown (1962), Gale Sayers (1965) and Maurice Jones-Drew (2006).
Although Ellington has returned to play and Chris Johnson is eligible to play in the Super Bowl once he comes off IR, David Johnson is expected to remain the starter in the backfield.
David Johnson is the third Cardinal in franchise history to earn Offensive Rookie of the Month. Wide receiver Anquan Boldin won it twice in 2003, while quarterback Jake Plummer was honored in 1997. Three defensive rookies have earned that award: Safety Tyrann Mathieu (2013), cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (2008) and defensive end Simeon Rice (1996)."

source:
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...f-243af6760983