Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes

Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes A forum to debate all of the in state rivalries

Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
MarshallTucker

Default Interesting article out of Ames today

Pretty one-sided but enough to fire up some locals one would assume.

http://amestrib.com/sports/men-s-bas...clones-and-isu
MarshallTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default Re: Interesting article out of Ames today

Get your popcorn ready. The meltdown is coming...
Old 09-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
vbfan19

kind of curious about the specifics with that Diamond Head hotel situation that the article featured a couple times.

They say the team had to camp out for "hours" in the hotel ballroom b/c ISU didn't want to pay for an extra night of rooms.

If it was something like 2 hours, frankly, I don't see why it would be that big of a deal. It's not worth spending thousands of dollars to get hotel rooms that you're only going to be using for a couple hours.

Now if it was something like 10 hours, that's a bit different.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

LOL at all of that, I don't know where to begin mocking that piece.

Looks and reads like a vindictive and petty smear campaign. Both sides of this should be utterly embarrassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
kind of curious about the specifics with that Diamond Head hotel situation that the article featured a couple times.

They say the team had to camp out for "hours" in the hotel ballroom b/c ISU didn't want to pay for an extra night of rooms.

If it was something like 2 hours, frankly, I don't see why it would be that big of a deal. It's not worth spending thousands of dollars to get hotel rooms that you're only going to be using for a couple hours.

Thats whats funny about it. If they took regular commercial flights off the island, which seems likely, those flights typically leave from Hawaii at 10 or 11 PM. Which means a travel party of 50 people or whatever they had would have to be at the airport by, what, 8 o clock?

lol, those poor souls were without a hotel room for like 3 or 4 hours. If they cant find a place to relax in Honolulu for a few hrs other than a freaking hotel room, those people are more than welcome to go purchase a $500 room for 4 hours on their own dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
LOL at all of that, I don't know where to begin mocking that piece.

Looks and reads like a vindictive and petty smear campaign. Both sides of this should be utterly embarrassed.
I think its the beginning of getting Pollard out of there by enough influential donors. There have always been rumors that Leath has wanted his own guy, and this story plus the decisions that are going to have to be made after they go 2-10 in football again, give Leath the out.

My guess is Leath demands that Pollard fire Rhodes, Pollard refuses because he and CPR are drinking buddies, and Leath fires them both.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
northwest iowa panther

Maybe with COA the next time they could pool their money and extend the rooms.😀
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Yeah, the hotel part is being overblown. I'm assuming the team checked out of their hotel at 10 or 11am and then just had to wait a few hours for their flight.
cydave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
I think its the beginning of getting Pollard out of there by enough influential donors. There have always been rumors that Leath has wanted his own guy, and this story plus the decisions that are going to have to be made after they go 2-10 in football again, give Leath the out.

My guess is Leath demands that Pollard fire Rhodes, Pollard refuses because he and CPR are drinking buddies, and Leath fires them both.
This is what I'm thinking too.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Panther100
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post

Agreed, neither here nor there. I would think Paul Rhoades days are numbered. ISU would need at least three Big 12 wins to save him.
Panther100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Pollard just said check out was at noon and the flight was at 6pm.
They saved $25,000 for not checking back into their rooms for 3 hours.
That portion of the article was way overblown.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #13
krusej23

Pollard is on KXNO right now and he sounds very defensive. Most people would be in this situation but he sounds all excited about it and shouldn't be acting this way. There seems to be some truth to this since he has multiple sources for the article. Some of the points are overblown but when you have multiple situations like he has in the article, it sounds like they were nickel and diming a little and to the benefit of the administration.

They just said Hoiberg is coming on later.
krusej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Hoiberg took JP's side.
Travis Hines has major egg on his face.
I wonder if those unnamed sources in that article were from sour assistants? (Matt A and Cornell Mann)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
$25,000 for 14 rooms and a suite? Bush league...
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
$25,000 for 14 rooms and a suite? Bush league...
Yeah, that figure had to have been overblown, but probably not by much. The suite alone is probably 75% of the figure.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Hoiberg isn't going to burn any bridges. He still wants to be the poster boy of Iowa State Athletics.

I think Doc Sadler was probably behind a lot of the information. As always, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I still think that Leath wants to dump Pollard.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
MarshallTucker

That was great radio, Pollard was fired up!
MarshallTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Hoiberg isn't going to burn any bridges. He still wants to be the poster boy of Iowa State Athletics.

I think Doc Sadler was probably behind a lot of the information. As always, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

It says a lot that Fred took time out of his day to do a phone interview to disprove that article, when he could have said no comment or he was too busy if there was some truth.

I think Hines got some sources that had an agenda against JP.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
sivert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Hello! You've got 4 hours in the afternoon to spend in Hawaii... It's December and you live in Iowa... What do you do? ... Let's see, spend it in a hotel lobby!
How dumb are these guys? Go to the beach!

Maybe this is the players talking - who else would demand anonymity? I can see a bunch of players who think they are the greatest concluding that they got wronged because someone didn't spend a several thousand dollars an hour for 3 hours in a hotel room.
sivert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #21
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
Hello! You've got 4 hours in the afternoon to spend in Hawaii... It's December and you live in Iowa... What do you do? ... Let's see, spend it in a hotel lobby!
How dumb are these guys? Go to the beach!

Maybe this is the players talking - who else would demand anonymity? I can see a bunch of players who think they are the greatest concluding that they got wronged because someone didn't spend a several thousand dollars an hour for 3 hours in a hotel room.
Maybe they were all tired from playing in a tournament and just wanted to relax on be on their phones?
They probably already spent a lot of time at the beach and just wanted to chill.
I doubt sun bathing for a couple hours and then jumping on a long flight is at the top of their lists.

EDIT: During the phone interview today, Fred stated that during the 3-4 hour time period between check out and their flight the players went swimming with Hoiberg's twins. With all of the refuting that JP and Hoiberg did today, it really makes Hines look foolish. He was getting some inaccurate information from his sources and didn't care to fact check things that could have easily been found out.

Last edited by cydave; 09-30-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #22
UNIChippewa

Quote:

Jamie Pollard has done a lot of good things for ISU, especially relating to finances and the budget for the athletic department.

IMO, he has a ginormous ego and I can totally believe the part in the article about him being a bit jealous of Hoiberg and the BB program's success.

It's been reported by the original founder and owner of CycloneFanatic.com, who would know as much as anyone else in Ames, that JP, despite all the financial growth that has occurred on his watch, still wants to operate things as cheaply as he possibly can.

A part of me would be sad to see him leave, but an equal part of me would shrug my shoulders.
UNIChippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #23
CincyPanther88

Funny how this stuff didn't come out until Hoiberg was gone.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Pollard has been fantastic for Iowa State. I have no doubt that he would fire Paul Rhoads if he thought that was what was best for the program. It could happen this year, but probably won't, especially if Iowa State wins a few more games. They have done very, very well in recruiting in the JUCOs during the last two years.

I haven't listened to the interview, but Pollard almost always comes across defensive and whiney, even when he is trying to be positive and enthusiastic. His emails and letters to season ticket holders are awful. Yet, he has made some incredibly good moves, most notably hiring Hoiberg, hiring Prohm (who already has shown himself to be a better recruiter than Hoiberg), and getting the south endzone bowled in (and sold out).

He is pretty deeply committed to Iowa State. He might consider going to Wisconsin or Notre Dame, but I think he is really trying to do something special with Iowa State. If Rhoads can get to bowls a few years in a row, Pollard will be seen in the college athletics world as a genius.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #25
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Rhodes is about to go 2-10 in year 7. That should be unacceptable for any program regardless of the history of the program.

Leath is going to demand Rhodes be fired. It's up to Jamie if he wants to keep his job or go with his drinking buddy.

Jamie's amazing in that he may get to make a 3rd football hire after two have failed (though I suspect Chizik would have been successful after he fixed his terrible staff had Auburn not come calling, though Iowa State probably would have ended up on probation). Nobody gets to do that. Nobody.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #26
'70 Grad

Quote:
Jamie's amazing in that he may get to make a 3rd football hire after two have failed. Nobody gets to do that. Nobody.
Evy hired Jerry Burns and Ray Nagel; but I believe that it was Bump Elliot that hired Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings before he finally found Hayden.

It might be unusual, but you don't need to look far to find an example. Either Evy or Bump hired 3 coaches searching for a winner in Iowa City.

Last edited by '70 Grad; 10-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.
'70 Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #27
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Grad View Post
Evy hired Jerry Burns and Ray Nagel; but I believe that it was Bump Elliot that hired Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings before he finally found Hayden.

It might be unusual, but you don't need to look far to find an example. Either Evy or Bump hired 3 coaches searching for a winner in Iowa City.
That was 40-50 years ago. Doesn't happen in today's world of college athletics...
Old 10-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #28
'70 Grad

Fair point. People are a lot more restless today. We shall see if/when Pollard pulls the plug on Paul this fall!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #29
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
If Rhoads can get to bowls a few years in a row, Pollard will be seen in the college athletics world as a genius.
Do you honestly see that happening though? I'm not saying "is it possible" because of course it's possible. But there is almost zero evidence that Rhodes is capable of doing this. Like BC said, it's year 7 and once again he has nothing to show for it. His only bowl game was not with "his guys"
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #30
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther-state View Post
Do you honestly see that happening though? I'm not saying "is it possible" because of course it's possible. But there is almost zero evidence that Rhodes is capable of doing this. Like BC said, it's year 7 and once again he has nothing to show for it. His only bowl game was not with "his guys"

Iowa State is 2:14 against Iowa and a FG against Toledo from being 3-0. And Iowa State's non-conference opponents are 9-1.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #31
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Iowa State is 2:14 against Iowa and a FG against Toledo from being 3-0. And Iowa State's non-conference opponents are 9-1.
That explanation might work in year two or three, but year seven with one winning season so far & a 38% winning percentage, not so much.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #32
Panther100
Banned

Kansas and Texas Tech are average. I can't see more than 2 Big 12 wins. Three conference wins could give him one more year.
Panther100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #33
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
And that's a tougher slate of games than your Big XII season, right?

What you just mentioned has nothing to do with ISU being a consistent bowler. The BCS doesn't accept moral wins to get to that magic number of 6. And let's say that ISU starts exiting the non-conference with a winning record in the future, they still have to win about 4+ Big XII games. What possible evidence do you have that Paul Rhoades is a good enough coach to pull this off?

The Cyclones can pat themselves on the back for being competitive through the first 3 games but it doesn't change the fact that they are a long shot to make a bowl game
Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #34
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther100 View Post
Kansas and Texas Tech are average. I can't see more than 2 Big 12 wins. Three conference wins could give him one more year.
Kansas is horrible.
Texas and KSU are average.
Tech, WVU and OSU are slightly above them.
TCU, Baylor and OU are great.
ISU will win 1-2 more games. 3 if they get REALLY lucky.
They will not win 5 more to go bowling. Zero chance.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #35
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
That explanation might work in year two or three, but year seven with one winning season so far & a 38% winning percentage, not so much.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Yeah, I know. 3 wins would be nice. A fourth probably secures his job.