Follow us on Twitter


Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes

Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes A forum to debate all of the in state rivalries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
in_the_stands
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 05:32 AM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in transit
Posts: 1,427
Default Former NCC member Augustana SD

I'll just leave this here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...141640783.html
in_the_stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Moose39
The Bird ≥ The Word
 
Last Online: Yesterday 12:16 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

"There's two ways to look at this game," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery told the Des Moines Register after the game. "You can schedule it or not, OK? We could have found a team that won eight games last year very easily. We scheduled a team that won 31 games. Most teams won't play them, OK? But I felt like we needed a game like this."
Moose39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold
 
panther-state's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:09 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

I think it's asinine to question Fran for scheduling this exhibition game. He's absolutely right in wanting to play someone who would expose weaknesses instead of providing the Hawks with a glorified pickup game. If people are looking at the box score and screaming "Why would you play a really good DII team??" Then they are fools. Or Fran is a fool if he thinks that's what is riling people up...

That being said, people have every right to criticize Fran and the Hawks for being outplayed in this game and setting themselves up for questions about whether they can make the cut in the B1G this season. How could you not expect that?
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
GonzoCat
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:03 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

That's kind of a funny quote coming from Fran. That's his philosophy with regard to exhibition games I guess. When it comes to games that count he's all about scheduling those 8 win teams.
__________________
GO PANTHERS!
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Mudrafan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

He is a fraud. The coming years will tell that story...
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers
 
Last Online: Yesterday 07:13 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Davenport
Posts: 7,420
Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Did they win 31 games last year? I know Augustana of Illinois in Rock Island did really well.
__________________
Sunshine and daisies. No improvement is ever required.
TravelingPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Panther100
Banned
 
Last Online: 06-01-2016 05:26 PM
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Big Apple/Iowa
Posts: 1,571
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
Did they win 31 games last year? I know Augustana of Illinois in Rock Island did really well.
Augustana SD is division II in the NSIC. They made the NCAA Division II Tournament. The Illinois Augustana is Division III.
Panther100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Mudrafan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
Did they win 31 games last year? I know Augustana of Illinois in Rock Island did really well.
For Iowa to live up to 50% of their annual, "over the top" hype, they win this going away irregardless of what Augustana brings to town & whether they are from SD or IL. Fran cannot recruit & now he is eating up scholarships with his family. Things will get interesting down 380 in the coming years as the story of red-faced Fran unfolds.
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
sivert
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:49 AM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 50613
Posts: 1,146
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Huh. Mudrafan, I would have said he's better at recruiting than coaching.
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
Huh. Mudrafan, I would have said he's better at recruiting than coaching.

This is my thought as well
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
Mudrafan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
Huh. Mudrafan, I would have said he's better at recruiting than coaching.
I never said he wasn't. His recruiting blows, however. Big time.
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
I never said he wasn't. His recruiting blows, however. Big time.

He had a lot of connections out east while at Siena that landed him a bunch of 6'4 to 6'7 guys that were twice as athletic as anyone in the MAAC.

He lost that type of connection going to the Midwest. He no longer has the best athletes on the court so his lack of true X and O ability shows more.

He still gets good talent, he just doesn't coach them up to their potential real well
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
dgcb28
Junior Member
 
Last Online: 03-03-2017 12:36 PM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 7
Default

Mccaffrey defending his position of scheduling a tough opponent is the most HYSTERICAL thing I've ever heard. He and his AD are class A cowards. Tell me how that RPI looks with Coppin State, UMKC, WIU, Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb on your schedule that "most teams won't play" What a quack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgcb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcb28 View Post
Mccaffrey defending his position of scheduling a tough opponent is the most HYSTERICAL thing I've ever heard. He and his AD are class A cowards. Tell me how that RPI looks with Coppin State, UMKC, WIU, Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb on your schedule that "most teams won't play" What a quack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their RPI will be fine because they are forced to have OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State on their schedule this year. They will carry the entire league, RPI wise, and be the reason a 7th or 8th place B10 team can use the RPI card.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
dgcb28
Junior Member
 
Last Online: 03-03-2017 12:36 PM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 7
Default

I'm not talking about those games. Mccaffrey has no control over those games. The games he has control over are almost ALWAYS 300+ RPI cupcakes, and they lose to some of them at home. For him to whine to the media that he scheduled some team most wouldn't and then have THAT non conference schedule is an absolute joke


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgcb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcb28 View Post
I'm not talking about those games. Mccaffrey has no control over those games. The games he has control over are almost ALWAYS 300+ RPI cupcakes, and they lose to some of them at home. For him to whine to the media that he scheduled some team most wouldn't and then have THAT non conference schedule is an absolute joke


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You said to look at what their RPI will look like because of those games. Their RPI will be fine because of OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, etc...
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
Mudrafan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 08:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
You said to look at what their RPI will look like because of those games. Their RPI will be fine because of OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, etc...
It won't matter & the weak ass non-con schedule will actually haunt them when they end up with 16 wins overall.
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
It won't matter & the weak ass non-con schedule will actually haunt them when they end up with 16 wins overall.
They had an RPI of 43 last season with OOC games against 249, 133, 186, 316, 346, and 348. The RPI will never be an issue for a B10 team. If they only get 16 wins that will be the issue - not the RPI.

I challenge someone to find the last time a B10 team with 20 wins was left out of the dance - there's been 3 instances of 19 win teams getting in since Nebraska joined the league. The reality is, as long as they get to 19 or 20 wins they are likely in 99% of the time
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 02:13 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,526
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
They had an RPI of 43 last season with OOC games against 249, 133, 186, 316, 346, and 348. The RPI will never be an issue for a B10 team. If they only get 16 wins that will be the issue - not the RPI.

I challenge someone to find the last time a B10 team with 20 wins was left out of the dance - there's been 3 instances of 19 win teams getting in since Nebraska joined the league. The reality is, as long as they get to 19 or 20 wins they are likely in 99% of the time
This is why Jay Bilas is right and DI needs to be shrunk to the top 13 leagues. That creates a situation where there are very, very few cupcakes and teams that win 19 or 20 games have actually accomplished something.

Can you imagine how good the tournament would be if a team like last year's Illinois State was a 15 or 16 seed? It would make every game competitive and make the tournament the best sports event on the calendar.
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
vbfan19
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:18 PM
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
This is why Jay Bilas is right and DI needs to be shrunk to the top 13 leagues. That creates a situation where there are very, very few cupcakes and teams that win 19 or 20 games have actually accomplished something.

Can you imagine how good the tournament would be if a team like last year's Illinois State was a 15 or 16 seed? It would make every game competitive and make the tournament the best sports event on the calendar.
what if the MVC doesn't make that cut? how would you feel about it then?
even with the arbitrary number of "top 13 leagues", the MVC is right on the bubble, and the P5 leagues would love to keep it as exclusive as possible.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
sivert
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:49 AM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 50613
Posts: 1,146
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
...I challenge someone to find the last time a B10 team with 20 wins was left out of the dance...
S.E.Iowa Squakeyes. 2012-13.
Not counting Exhibitions, 20 win season +1 win in the B1G Conf tourney +4 in the NIT.
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #22
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,414
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
S.E.Iowa Squakeyes. 2012-13.
Not counting Exhibitions, 20 win season +1 win in the B1G Conf tourney +4 in the NIT.
They also only had 9 conference wins. Though i did forget about that
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 02:13 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,526
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
what if the MVC doesn't make that cut? how would you feel about it then?
even with the arbitrary number of "top 13 leagues", the MVC is right on the bubble, and the P5 leagues would love to keep it as exclusive as possible.
Consistent Top 10 league and even 'Power 5 Only' guys like Bilas and Mike DeCourcey have acknowledged that the Valley would be a league included.

It amazes me that passionate UNI and Valley fans don't recognize how good the league is.
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #24
vbfan19
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:18 PM
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Augustana may be one of the tougher opponents that Iowa faces in the home non-con schedule.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #25
sivert
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:49 AM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 50613
Posts: 1,146
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
They also only had 9 conference wins. Though i did forget about that
Sure, but mathematically the RPI isn't affected by who you win or lose to. If you play UNC and Bradley and win one and lose one, it doesn't matter (to your RPI) which you beat.

Of course it does matter to the selection committee.

The problem UofI had in 12-13 was that their OOC scheduling was really really bad. Not even cupcakes - just frosting. Mathematically, even if they had 21 wins their RPI would still have been bad enough that many teams with that RPI have been left out.
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #26
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: Yesterday 05:48 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Former NCC member Augustana SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcb28 View Post
Mccaffrey defending his position of scheduling a tough opponent is the most HYSTERICAL thing I've ever heard. He and his AD are class A cowards. Tell me how that RPI looks with Coppin State, UMKC, WIU, Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb on your schedule that "most teams won't play" What a quack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Maybe that is why Augustana was the "exhibition" game! He wanted to make sure he had non-conference games he could win.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


© Copyright 2004-2017 Panther Nation.  All rights reserved.
PantherNation.com is not affiliated with the University Of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panthers.