Follow us on Twitter


Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes

Panthers vs. Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes A forum to debate all of the in state rivalries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #71
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
A large majority of those are not winning programs. The ones that are, lost their coach to the NFL. To try & put the clowns into this camp is a joke. They don't come anywhere into the stratosphere against these programs.
My point was that coaching changes are made all the time and you can't judge a program based on how many coaches they have had.
Learn to read.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #72
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrafan View Post
This is traditionally one of the worst FBS coaching jobs in the U.S. The stuff you mentioned is simply what is needed to be in the FBS so nearly all schools have that. There are a ton of open jobs so look for another rerun performance from the Clowns in their search.
One of the worst FBS jobs in the US? Not even close.
One of the worst BCS jobs in the US? Yep.

And why are you even in this thread? You hate the clowns and don't want ISU fans or any threads dealing with ISU in this forum. So why are you posting here?
You're so predictable too, because here's what your reply will be:
"This is Panther Nation blah blah, you should be the one leaving, not me! I've been a UNI fan for over 100 years!!!
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #73
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
One of the worst jobs in FBS no.... They are certainly far down the list of most attractive power 5 jobs but it's certainly not at the bottom of FBS.


What makes it unattractive is:

1) Location. It is hard to recruit players to come north from the south and west. And there is not a plethora of in-state players like Ohio.

2) Conference. It is hard to win when you are playing some of the best teams in the country week-after-week.

What makes it attractive is:

1) Conference. Having the opportunity to play the best teams is also what allows you to be a breakout coaching star.

2) Facilities. The stadium and practice facilities are outstanding.

3) Fan support. Most "winning" programs would love to have the fan base.

4) Salary. Being in the Big 12 means Big 12 money flows to the school and that means a huge salary.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #74
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Today 08:22 AM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,266
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
4) Salary. Being in the Big 12 means Big 12 money flows to the school and that means a huge salary.
Salary to a normal human is incredibly attractive. Relative to what other Big 12 coaches are being paid, not so much. Rhoades was second lowest paid Big 12 coach @ $2.2 million this year.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #75
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17
 
95UNIGRAD's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 09:26 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Panther State
Posts: 2,668
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

So any ideas on who the next coach might be/ who they're looking at CyDave and UNIdad?
__________________
Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #76
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Salary to a normal human is incredibly attractive. Relative to what other Big 12 coaches are being paid, not so much. Rhoades was second lowest paid Big 12 coach @ $2.2 million this year.

If you are an "up and comer," you would probably be willing to take an "entry level" salary of $2 mil in a conference with an average salary of $3.5 mil.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #77
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
So any ideas on who the next coach might be/ who they're looking at CyDave and UNIdad?

Randy Peterson gives a long list in the Register this morning. Kendal Briles, the son of Art Briles, seems to be a hot prospect.

Generally, people are saying that we need to move away from the three straight hires of defensive coordinators with no head coach experience. Briles has only one year of experience as offensive coordinator.

Lincoln Riley, the Oklahoma OC, seems like a good possibility.

Chris Klieman of NDSU is also being mentioned. He could be close to home and make a lot more money than he would if he came to UNI (which is where he belongs).
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #78
CincyPanther88
Senior Member
 
CincyPanther88's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:59 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
What makes it unattractive is:

1) Location. It is hard to recruit players to come north from the south and west. And there is not a plethora of in-state players like Ohio.

2) Conference. It is hard to win when you are playing some of the best teams in the country week-after-week.
But K State seems to do well despite the same drawbacks. Iowa has the same drawbacks and they are usually a perennial bowl team. ISU would kill for Iowa's success.

Someone's going to take the job. I saw where McCarney got fired. Maybe he could come back as they had a pretty nice roll with him for a while. Maybe ISU should only hire coaches from the Fry coaching tree.

I don't know where they are going to get their next coach from. Is it going to be the hot coach in the non P5 conferences or the hot assistant from a P5.

I don't know if he'd even take the job but all signs point to Les Miles getting the boot at LSU. He can recruit but he does nutty things and it seems that LSU often won despite him. He's also been criticized for having an offense that is stuck in the 80s.
__________________
"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."
CincyPanther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #79
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
But K State seems to do well despite the same drawbacks. Iowa has the same drawbacks and they are usually a perennial bowl team. ISU would kill for Iowa's success.

Someone's going to take the job. I saw where McCarney got fired. Maybe he could come back as they had a pretty nice roll with him for a while. Maybe ISU should only hire coaches from the Fry coaching tree.

I don't know where they are going to get their next coach from. Is it going to be the hot coach in the non P5 conferences or the hot assistant from a P5.

I don't know if he'd even take the job but all signs point to Les Miles getting the boot at LSU. He can recruit but he does nutty things and it seems that LSU often won despite him. He's also been criticized for having an offense that is stuck in the 80s.

McCarney is on Randy Peterson's list, but there is not a chance that happens.

I predict a hiring of a hot non-P5 head coach rather than a hot P5 OC. There seems to be a sense that the new coach needs to "know how to win" (though I think this is quite nebulous and not a legit criticism of the former coach).
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #80
ronfitch
UNI Alum
 
ronfitch's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 09:30 AM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,359
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
If you are an "up and comer," you would probably be willing to take an "entry level" salary of $2 mil in a conference with an average salary of $3.5 mil.
Figure out how to win six games in year one, two or three and the AD is in the outer office with a better contract if you are willing to renegotiate and the fan base will adore you. They might even name a sandwich after you at Hickory Park.

It is not a long term gig, but a stepping stone, at least for anyone under 50.

Or - like Darrell Mudra or Eldon Miller did here - perhaps the chance to an experienced and once-successful coach who wants to build something before they retire to do that. Someone who already has a bank account, a second or third home and is no longer climbing the ladder. I think that would be well-received by the fans and school.
__________________
"Well, that escalated quickly."
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #81
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Today 08:22 AM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,266
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Is Tressel still under a show cause ban?
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #82
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Also, the best thing that Rhoads did was emphasize JUCO recruitment (following the K-State vampire's model). However, the strength of long-term JUCO programs in the state of Kansas is amazing. Snyder didn't just decide to recruit JUCO's recently, he has built an entire system of JUCO farm clubs throughout the state.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #83
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Some of the names I'm hearing are:
Scott Frost - Oregon OC
Brady Hoke - Ex Michigan Coach
Jeff Brohm - WKU head coach
Tony Alford - Ohio St RB coach

Whoever it is, I hope they run a Power run style offense, not spread.
ISU was moving towards that after Mangino left and it was working. Ball control offense is what ISU needs. I also want to stay with the 3-4 defense.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #84
BCPanther
PN Crusader
 
BCPanther's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 12:19 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,494
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

I've heard Tony Alford over and over again. If that's the best Iowa State can do, the perception is even worse that I thought. Not quite Kansas-bad, but close.
__________________
#MACtion
BCPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #85
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,397
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post

Louisville - 6 - lost one coach to NFL and another to Texas. Current coach is coach that left for NFL
Kentucky - 6 - terrible program
North Carolina - 6 - between NCAA sanctions and not being good for a majority of ever this isn't shocking
Pitt - 6 - average P5 program
Indiana - 6 - terrible program
Kansas - 6 - terrible program
Nebraska - 5 - delusional fan base and administration
Arizona - 5 - largely not a great program
Stanford - 5 - prior to Harbaugh - who left for NFL - one of worst programs in the nation
UCLA - 5 - largely not a great program
Minnesota - 5 - what Kill did what a miracle. Historically terrible program
Alabama - 5 - I'd have to look at the circumstances around this
Arkansas - 5 - largley overrated conference. One coach was fired for an affair
Florida - 5 - Urban "retired" and replaced by a bad coach and who then fired. Anomaly for this list
Illinois - 5 - terrible program
Ole Miss - 5 - Until the last half decade or so largely a very average program
Baylor - 5 - See Ole Miss
Wisconsin - 5 - Barry Alverez was around 18 seasons and Bielema 7. You're reaching one. Gary Anderson got real homesick for the west coast and left to fill the void created by the next team's situation
Oregon St - 5 - Mike Rieley was there 14 years before going to Nebraska. Before that Ericson took a team with a win % of 18 the last 4 coaches and made them a winner during his 4 years.
I mean, you made an okay point.

You were really, really, reaching on that and stretching the idea of 2 decades. 2 decades is 20 years. More than a of those you listed have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years. You're reaching to the very early 90s or late 80s with some of those
claw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #86
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,397
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

If Hoke is on the short list you may has well have kept Rhoads. They both struggle with simple strategy, knowing down and distance, etc...
claw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #87
CincyPanther88
Senior Member
 
CincyPanther88's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:59 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Is Tressel still under a show cause ban?
He's the president of YSU. Boggles the mind.
__________________
"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."
CincyPanther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #88
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Today 08:22 AM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,266
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
He's the president of YSU. Boggles the mind.
Understood. But I have heard that the tattoo parlors in Ames are phenomenal...
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #89
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I mean, you made an okay point.

You were really, really, reaching on that and stretching the idea of 2 decades. 2 decades is 20 years. More than a of those you listed have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years. You're reaching to the very early 90s or late 80s with some of those
Every program I listed was from 1995-now. 2 decades. I guess you can add USC to the list, forgot about them.

There aren't many programs who have only had 2-3 coaches in the last 2 decades.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #90
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,397
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Every program I listed was from 1995-now. 2 decades. I guess you can add USC to the list, forgot about them.

There aren't many programs who have only had 2-3 coaches in the last 2 decades.
Wisconsin
Paul Cryst - 2015- present
Gary Anderson 2013-2014
Bret Belema 2006-2012
Barry Alverez 1990-2012 (did coach the 2012 and 2014 bowls)

Tell me where you got 5.

Southern Cal lost 2 coaches to the NFL, one got fired due to coaching while drunk, and one was an interim that didn't get the full time job.

I know the point your trying to make, but any kind of research shows that the programs are either terrible, lost coaches the NFL, or your numbers don't tell the full story.
claw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #91
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Wisconsin
Paul Cryst - 2015- present
Gary Anderson 2013-2014
Bret Belema 2006-2012
Barry Alverez 1990-2012 (did coach the 2012 and 2014 bowls)

Tell me where you got 5.

Southern Cal lost 2 coaches to the NFL, one got fired due to coaching while drunk, and one was an interim that didn't get the full time job.

I know the point your trying to make, but any kind of research shows that the programs are either terrible, lost coaches the NFL, or your numbers don't tell the full story.
Yep, pardon me, I messed up on a team.

The point I'm trying to make is that ISU having 4 coaches in the last 2 decades is certainly average with P5 schools, regardless of how the coaches lost their jobs.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #92
claw
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quad Cities/Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,397
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Yep, pardon me, I messed up on a team.

The point I'm trying to make is that ISU having 4 coaches in the last 2 decades is certainly average with P5 schools, regardless of how the coaches lost their jobs.
There's a big difference in why coaches are no longer at programs.

Continually getting fired vs getting poached by the NFL or bigger program is completely different.
claw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #93
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
There's a big difference in why coaches are no longer at programs.

Continually getting fired vs getting poached by the NFL or bigger program is completely different.
Well then lets count Chizik as getting poached by Auburn a good thing then..
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #94
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Another name that hasn't been talked a lot about is Greg Schiano.
He's actually going to be in Ames tonight to watch the basketball game, Who knows if Pollard has a meeting with him too?
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #95
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Another name that hasn't been talked a lot about is Greg Schiano.
He's actually going to be in Ames tonight to watch the basketball game, Who knows if Pollard has a meeting with him too?


Really. How do you know? I would love to have Schiano coach the Cyclones. He was really impressive on and off the field for the Pinstripe Bowl. He never should have left Rutgers for the NFL.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #96
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
Really. How do you know? I would love to have Schiano coach the Cyclones. He was really impressive on and off the field for the Pinstripe Bowl. He never should have left Rutgers for the NFL.
Somebody tweeted to Chris Williams that he was coming to watch Monte.

Last edited by cydave; 11-23-2015 at 04:33 PM.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #97
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Somebody tweeted to Chris Williams that he was coming to watch Monte.

Interesting.

Schiano has hardly been mentioned in the coaching prospects thread on CF that has 400+ posts. Of course, he would be another DC-type, but with successful head coaching experience. I really like the way he brought class to the Rutgers program.

So, why would he come to watch Monte?
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #98
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more
 
Last Online: 04-20-2017 01:12 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,155
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Somebody tweeted to Chris Williams that he was coming to watch Monte.

It does not seem the CW has retweeted this. Nor has CF picked up on it. Nonetheless, tonight I will keep my eyes open for him . . . and Monte's mom if she attends.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #99
cydave
Mudrafan + cydave = BFF
 
Last Online: Today 11:40 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,533
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
Interesting.

Schiano has hardly been mentioned in the coaching prospects thread on CF that has 400+ posts. Of course, he would be another DC-type, but with successful head coaching experience. I really like the way he brought class to the Rutgers program.

So, why would he come to watch Monte?
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/show...e=6&styleid=42
Post 172.
Its probably nothing and just a coincidence.
cydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #100
TH1974
Senior Member
 
TH1974's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-04-2017 12:50 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,492
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
My point was that coaching changes are made all the time and you can't judge a program based on how many coaches they have had.
It's true. There are so many other ways to prove ISU is a terrible program.
__________________
UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade
TH1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #101
TH1974
Senior Member
 
TH1974's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-04-2017 12:50 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,492
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydave View Post
Some of the names I'm hearing are:
Scott Frost - Oregon OC
Brady Hoke - Ex Michigan Coach
Jeff Brohm - WKU head coach
Tony Alford - Ohio St RB coach

Whoever it is, I hope they run a Power run style offense, not spread.
ISU was moving towards that after Mangino left and it was working. Ball control offense is what ISU needs. I also want to stay with the 3-4 defense.
I hope they get Brohm, since they have Prohm coaching basketball.
__________________
UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade
TH1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #102
CF84
Member
 
Last Online: 01-22-2017 05:05 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 237
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
I hope they get Brohm, since they have Prohm coaching basketball.
Pollard is probably drooling over the cool billboards he could put up with that combo. Well golleeee, it even rhymes! I just feel bad for the kid who had to shadow Rhoads and hold his headset. What's he going to do now? At least they still have the holder who celebrates extra points like they won the Super Bowl.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #103
Newsbreaker
Senior Member
 
Newsbreaker's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-10-2017 05:09 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,508
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

I'm not exactly an unbiased observer, but I don't have a ton of ISU hate, either.

I think they're going to find out just how unattractive that job is, and in a crowded year. If Paul Rhodes, who was the perfect cultural fit, can't do it, who can?

And what is "it?" I think they're a program that needs to build to a 6 or 7 win season every four or five years. Expecting anything more frequent than that is foolish. A hundred years doesn't lie.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #104
GonzoCat
Senior Member
 
Last Online: 04-21-2017 06:04 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,027
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbreaker View Post
And what is "it?" I think they're a program that needs to build to a 6 or 7 win season every four or five years. Expecting anything more frequent than that is foolish. A hundred years doesn't lie.
Were you on the radio with Marty a little after 5:00 today? I heard a call in guest using pretty much those exact same lines, didn't pay attention to who he was, somebody who used to work this market I think. I only ended up on that station (1700) for a bit because I was checking to see if they carried Rimas show.
__________________
GO PANTHERS!
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #105
Newsbreaker
Senior Member
 
Newsbreaker's Avatar
 
Last Online: 04-10-2017 05:09 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,508
Default Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
Were you on the radio with Marty a little after 5:00 today? I heard a call in guest using pretty much those exact same lines, didn't pay attention to who he was, somebody who used to work this market I think. I only ended up on that station (1700) for a bit because I was checking to see if they carried Rimas show.
No, not me. The next time I call a radio show will be the first time. I do think it's true though. Iowa hopes to build towards a 10 win or so season every 3-4 years by developing players. Of course the margin for error is thin, as they've seen in Iowa City over the last few years.

Iowa State needs to do the same thing, the ceiling is just lower. Party because recruiting the type of talent they need to run the system they want to run is harder. Partly because they play that God-awful round-robin schedule. And partly because it's harder to recruit to Ames than Iowa City (due to facilities, tradition, cache, etc.).

I don't know who the right hire is. I think they need to identify someone they hope is being hired out from under them in 3-4 years.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


© Copyright 2004-2017 Panther Nation.  All rights reserved.
PantherNation.com is not affiliated with the University Of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panthers.