Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > News Forums > College Football News

Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #36
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Default Re: NDSU to play at Target Field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
Should a game in the Twin Cities be expected to do much for recruiting? I'm more interested in using games to build support among fans than recruits. And I think that needs to be done in Iowa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
If they play 5 other games in Iowa would it hurt to play a high profile game in MN?
If you are not losing a home game in the schedule nor losing money ... isn't it better to play NDSU - or really, any team - at a neutral site than in their home stadium?

Bonus that it is also home to a large number of your alumni. And a ton of transplants from Iowa.

Bonus that it is also very large metro with tons of high school athletes looking to continue.

Bonus that is is only 3.5 hours from C.F., even closer than Fargo for those who would make the drive.

Side note - in Sunday's Minneapolis StarTribune, there was a multi-page insert for the Minnesota National College Fair in the Minneapolis Convention Center next week - dozens if not hundreds of two- and four-year schools will be there. Looking at the list of schools with booths, it was nice to see that UNI is scheduled to be part of five booths (more than the two other Regents universities from Iowa, though NDSU was scheduled for 15).
Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #37
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingPanther View Post
If they play 5 other games in Iowa would it hurt to play a high profile game in MN?

OK, maybe it is a good idea, if there are as many alumni in the Twin Cities as PTTB says . . . and I assume he is correct.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #38
FargoPanther

More details from a Twin Cities news station. http://www.fox9.com/sports/211585040-story
FargoPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #39
Neighbor

Division 3 ??? They could pick an all star team of division 3 teams in Mn and the bison would still kill em. Plus it does nothing for counting a win.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #40
TravelingPanther
loves the Panthers

Send a message via AIM to TravelingPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Division 3 ??? They could pick an all star team of division 3 teams in Mn and the bison would still kill em. Plus it does nothing for counting a win.
It doesn't say the D-III teams will be their opponent, it says they will play each other.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #41
Cannic88

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok58 View Post
Well, they made a football field fit into Wrigley field, so I'm sure it can be at Target Field.

The article also mentioned the game would most likely have to come from NDSU's home schedule, but that even plays to their favor as the Twin Cities has a large NDSU alumni base. Still would be fun to go up there and watch it.
you do realize that the Bears home field was Wrigley Field for like 50 years.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #42
DomeIsHome

NDSU vs Butler at Target field in 2019
DomeIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #43
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

That's a lot of money for a fan to watch NDSU starters sit for 50 minutes

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3
Trapped in California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #44
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
That's a lot of money for a fan to watch NDSU starters sit for 50 minutes

Perhaps there will be beer and snacks.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #45
FargoPanther

Disappointed UNI isn't the opponent. The State of Iowa and UNI are missing growth potential in not offering reciprocity for Minnesota. NDSU enrollment is approaching around 30% from the Twin Cities area and this probably won't hurt.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/414350...ee6tj4.twitter
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #46
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoPanther View Post
Disappointed UNI isn't the opponent. The State of Iowa and UNI are missing growth potential in not offering reciprocity for Minnesota. NDSU enrollment is approaching around 30% from the Twin Cities area and this probably won't hurt.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/414350...ee6tj4.twitter
Have whomever makes the decision ever considered or even had reciprocity with other states for Iowa Regent schools? Does anyone *know* if it may be applied to only one school or does it need to be applied across all?

Just curious.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #47
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
Have whomever makes the decision ever considered or even had reciprocity with other states for Iowa Regent schools? Does anyone *know* if it may be applied to only one school or does it need to be applied across all?

Just curious.
Can you rephrase? I'm not following what you are asking?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #48
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:

Just curious.
Quote:
Can you rephrase? I'm not following what you are asking?

Sorry.

Asking if anyone knows if reciprocity with other states has ever happened or been seriously considered.

And, can those who actually make the decision apply it to only one school in the state or does it need to be all-or-nothing?

Which prompts the question of who has the authority to create reciprocity agreements for Iowa with other states? I know in Minnesota, the governor can actually halt an agreement (T-Paw did this in 2009, with Wisconsin) but don't know who can make the call to start it.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #49
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

I think the primary idea would start with the relevant institution and would have to be approved by regents. The state legislature and governor would likely need to sign off on whatever is proposed, especially if there is an expectation in state government funds being used (which is more than likely the case).

I wouldn't expect this to ever happen, unless there is some sort of structural change to state's budgetary resources.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #50
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
I think the primary idea would start with the relevant institution and would have to be approved by regents. The state legislature and governor would likely need to sign off on whatever is proposed, especially if there is an expectation in state government funds being used (which is more than likely the case).

I wouldn't expect this to ever happen, unless there is some sort of structural change to state's budgetary resources.
It is part of the budget for Minnesota, so the leg gets involved at some point here once it is in place (we have it with Wisc, ND, SD and Manitoba plus a limited agreement with Iowa Lakes CC (so that answers my followup).
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #51
Panther'73

Quote:
Sorry.

Asking if anyone knows if reciprocity with other states has ever happened or been seriously considered.

And, can those who actually make the decision apply it to only one school in the state or does it need to be all-or-nothing?

Which prompts the question of who has the authority to create reciprocity agreements for Iowa with other states? I know in Minnesota, the governor can actually halt an agreement (T-Paw did this in 2009, with Wisconsin) but don't know who can make the call to start it.
Iowa and Iowa state would never go for it. They get too many out of state students for higher tuition and won't give that up.
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #52
FargoPanther

Quote:
It is part of the budget for Minnesota, so the leg gets involved at some point here once it is in place (we have it with Wisc, ND, SD and Manitoba plus a limited agreement with Iowa Lakes CC (so that answers my followup).
For ND it includes MN, SD and MT. For a border city with a low unemployment rate, it's a great retention tool. It's one way how Fargo metro has gone from 154k in 1990 to 234k today. It's worth the investment to retain talent and future entrepreneurs. Ron, what numbers are you seeing on the Minnesota side? The State of Iowa needs to stop doing development like it's 1986 by chasing smokestacks and look at reciprocity as a took to grow the state from within.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #53
lakesbison

NDSU is around 50% Minnesotan. i love the idea of this game, hate the opponent!! and hate the facts that our ndsu admin is conceding that we wont be FBS in freaking 2019...yet this is a show case for a FBS conference that we can get 40,000 ndsu fans to a neutral Site game
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #54
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoPanther View Post
For ND it includes MN, SD and MT. For a border city with a low unemployment rate, it's a great retention tool. It's one way how Fargo metro has gone from 154k in 1990 to 234k today. It's worth the investment to retain talent and future entrepreneurs. Ron, what numbers are you seeing on the Minnesota side? The State of Iowa needs to stop doing development like it's 1986 by chasing smokestacks and look at reciprocity as a took to grow the state from within.
From what I found, there are two types of agreements used here. The agreement with Wisconsin and South Dakota is different than the one with North Dakota and participating schools in Iowa and Manitoba.

The short of it, numbers-wise, is ...

For Fall of '14, Minnesota had 42+k students going outside the state under reciprocity and 28+k coming in under reciprocity; 99 percent under the ND, Wisc and SD agreements and 95 percent being undergrads.

The breakdown for that Fall of 2014, under reciprocity agreements:

- Just over 14k Minnesota residents went to Wisc schools/about 8500 Wisc residents went to MN schools;

- Just over 11k MN residents went to ND schools/about 4500 ND residents went to MN schools;

- Just over 3300 MN residents went to SD schools/about 1200 SD residents went to MN schools;

Manitoba and Iowa Lakes are too small to mention.

What is really interesting (to me, anyway) is that 79 percent of Minnesota residents who do this enroll in a school with 50 miles of the border and 77 percent of the residents in other states do the same (again, for Fall '14). Cedar Falls is, what, 70-75 miles from the border?

Financially, for 2014-15, Minnesota has an outflow larger than the inflow which costs the state about $1 million out of the general fund overall to cover (based on the formulas in various agreements). Note that there have been years where MN generates net revenue across the agreements - the peak being about $10 million in 2005-06 - but most years going back to '75-'76, it has been a net loss, meaning that the difference comes out of the MN general fund.

This is all here (with pretty charts, too):

https://www.ohe.state.mn.us/pdf/Reci...erview2016.pdf