Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Where Are They Now?

Where Are They Now? Where are former UNI athletes and what are they doing now?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
CincyPanther88

Default Big 12 will not expand

Our (and Iowa's) old AD is getting a lot of criticism for this.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...-mandel-101716
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default Re: Big 12 will not expand

I guarantee if he could do it over, Bowlsby never takes that job. He's getting all the heat while all the decisions are being made by the University Presidents, who are being led by nutjob David Boren.

The league is done, its just waiting for the end of its slow painful death.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Codytwo

I can't wait to see the Big 12 disband. I'm very interested to see what will become of Kansas. While they have an elite basketball program, conference alignment is primarily driven by football. I can't imagine many conferences are interested in a football program that is so awful that their fans will rush the field when they beat an FCS opponent.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
. I can't imagine many conferences are interested in a football program that is so awful that their fans will rush the field when they beat an FCS opponent.
Same can be said for Iowa State.

I continue to think that there will be separate conferences for football, basketball and other sports.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Codytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Same can be said for Iowa State.

I continue to think that there will be separate conferences for football, basketball and other sports.
I get your point, but there's a big difference between a nationally relevant basketball program and one of the blue bloods.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Maybe the new league want some new designated whipping boys... Iowa State's value proposition - we can help the league get more members bowl eligible.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
BCPanther
PN Crusader

IF the Big 12 breaks up Kansas ends up in the Big 10. They fit academically, bring great basketball and deliver the Kansas City market. That's enough.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
claw

Jamie Pollard on the Big 12: "Without Texas and Oklahoma in the room, we're the Mountain West":
claw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
PantherFan

I can't believe they didn't invite North Dakota State.
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Codytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherFan View Post
I can't believe they didn't invite North Dakota State.
I think NDSU is in the process of starting their own conference and beginning on the first of the year the Bison Network will launch.

Most experts are predicting that it will take until approximately February 9th, 2017 for the Bison Network to put each of the following networks out of business:
- Big Ten Network
- CBS Sports Network
- The Weather Channel
- ESPN
- ESPN Deportes
- CFU Public Access
- MLB Network
- The Playboy Channel
- Pac-12 Network
- Longhorn Network
Old 10-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Jamie Pollard on the Big 12: "Without Texas and Oklahoma in the room, we're the Mountain West":
There's a good Randy Peterson column in today's DMR which says basically the same thing. All it would take would be for Texas or Oklahoma to leave, and the league collapses. They may have too much clout to leave their current set up, but you never know. Peterson seems to say he thinks the league is stable for a few years, until their charter expires in 2024. After that, the lack of expansion leaves the whole thing pretty shaky.

Peterson also pointed out that lack of expansion was generally bad for ISU football, as it means they play the league's tough teams every year, and makes it harder to reach the six win bowl metric.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #12
CincyPanther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
Peterson also pointed out that lack of expansion was generally bad for ISU football, as it means they play the league's tough teams every year, and makes it harder to reach the six win bowl metric.
Has it been good for them financially? TEX brings a lot of money to the table. Even if they did go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, it can't make that much - if any- for them.

I don't know why TEX would want to leave. If they go elsewhere the Longhorn Network is dead. They are just another team that gets a share of the money.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
Has it been good for them financially? TEX brings a lot of money to the table. Even if they did go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, it can't make that much - if any- for them.

I don't know why TEX would want to leave. If they go elsewhere the Longhorn Network is dead. They are just another team that gets a share of the money.
I read something interesting that said that Texas is the only sought after, marketable school in the group. Their brand has by far the most clout. As such, they'll have the other, stronger conferences throwing piles of money at them. This same thing said Oklahoma is wise to stay, since it's probably the best deal they could get.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
BleedPurple

Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple View Post
Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?
Because they'd end up in a no revenue conference, and revenue is what this is all about. The Big 12 would rightfully kick them to the curb if they dropped to FCS football.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Idaho is dropping starting next year
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #17
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Because they'd end up in a no revenue conference, and revenue is what this is all about. The Big 12 would rightfully kick them to the curb if they dropped to FCS football.
Yep. Always follow the money.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
claw

Quote:
FCS is division 1 football....:banghea d::banghea d:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Idaho is dropping starting next year
FAMU also started the transition to FBS but stopped after a year or two or a poorly planned/timed move.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
SteinPizza

Quote:
FCS is division 1 football....:banghea d::banghea d:
Of course it's D1, but going from FBS to FCS is a downgrade any way you want to spin it. The OP never said it wasn't D1, but there's a big difference between D1 FCS and D1 power 5.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #21
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Jamie Pollard was talking today about expecting something someday that is more like the NFL with one big league divided into regional divisions.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #22
JD720

Quote:
Of course it's D1, but going from FBS to FCS is a downgrade any way you want to spin it. The OP never said it wasn't D1, but there's a big difference between D1 FCS and D1 power 5.
Normally, yes. But we are talking about ISU and Kansas.
JD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #23
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
Normally, yes. But we are talking about ISU and Kansas.
Why in the hell would ISU and KU move to FCS??? They're both nationally relevant in men's basketball. KU is HIGHLY relevant. A move to FCS football ensures they get kicked out of the Big 12, and their lack of power 5 afiliation means WAY less exposure and WAY less money. Exposure and $ are the two most important things you have - it makes zero business sense.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
Codytwo

Quote:
Why in the hell would ISU and KU move to FCS??? They're both nationally relevant in men's basketball. KU is HIGHLY relevant. A move to FCS football ensures they get kicked out of the Big 12, and their lack of power 5 afiliation means WAY less exposure and WAY less money. Exposure and $ are the two most important things you have - it makes zero business sense.
I don't know how this would impact them financially, but from a competitive standpoint, it would make sense for KU to drop football and join the Big East. I know that's not possible since they're not a Catholic school, but there is no public school equivalent to the Big East.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #25
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
I don't know how this would impact them financially, but from a competitive standpoint, it would make sense for KU to drop football and join the Big East. I know that's not possible since they're not a Catholic school, but there is no public school equivalent to the Big East.
Maybe so, and you could make that case for Iowa State too. BUT, finances are what drives this whole thing, not competition. Money is far more important to these schools than being competitive in a particular sport. I can't blame them for that either.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #26
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Iowa State football profits millions of dollars. Why would they ever do that?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #27
lakesbison

ndsu already being in big 12 in Wrestling was hoping for an expansión spot. $50mil new basketball arena and promises of a 50,000 seat out doors stadium if they got an invite
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #28
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
ndsu already being in big 12 in Wrestling was hoping for an expansión spot. $50mil new basketball arena and promises of a 50,000 seat out doors stadium if they got an invite
I'm no fan of the Big 12, but I did loosely follow the expansion talk. Between the Des Moines Register and some local sports radio hosts, there were some media people pretty tuned in to the decision makers. I never heard/read NDSU's name even whispered, let alone mentioned.

Lakes, you guys may move to FBS, who knows, but it won't be P5. The Big 12 is also in the weakest position of the P5 comferences, by far. Decent chance it doesn't exist in a few years. That's how NDSU and Iowa State end up in the same league.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #29
claw

Default Big 12 will not expand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
$50 mil for a basketball arena that holds 5,700 people. That's not good math. Oh, not only that it's not truly a basketball arena. It's a building that happens to have a basketball court in it. Seriously, look at the construction photos. So what you got was a 50 million dollar building that has an indoor track, a basketball court, the hall of fame, etc... and all they did was section off a part of the building and put a court in it.

This would be like UNI bragging about the WRC being something 10 times what it is.

It also looks like the seats are going to be 20 or 30 feet from the court. Not great for sight-lines in a basketball arena of only 5,700

Old 10-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #30
BCPanther
PN Crusader

USD's new basketball arena is much nicer than that...
Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
$50 mil for a basketball arena that holds 5,700 people. That's not good math. Oh, not only that it's not truly a basketball arena. It's a building that happens to have a basketball court in it. Seriously, look at the construction photos. So what you got was a 50 million dollar building that has an indoor track, a basketball court, the hall of fame, etc... and all they did was section off a part of the building and put a court in it.

This would be like UNI bragging about the WRC being something 10 times what it is.

It also looks like the seats are going to be 20 or 30 feet from the court. Not great for sight-lines in a basketball arena of only 5,700

Well (pardon the pun) it is big enough to accommodate everyone that is willing to venture outside in the winter in North Dakota other than the oil people that have to go to work.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #32
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. Even though I am not a ND resident, I appreciate the university attempting to maximize the use of the dollars spent. It looks like a step up from what they had.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
Panther Fan

I think the point is that's not a "$50M Basketball Arena". That is a respectable place to play basketball that's part of a $50M building. Picture reminds me of the Knapp Center. And with with Indiana State improvements, the Knapp will rank ahead of only the Loyola gym in the Valley. While McLeod is not the fanciest place, when you walk in you feel like you're in a basketball arena, not a multipurpose facility.
Panther Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #34
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Fan View Post
I think the point is that's not a "$50M Basketball Arena". That is a respectable place to play basketball that's part of a $50M building. Picture reminds me of the Knapp Center. And with with Indiana State improvements, the Knapp will rank ahead of only the Loyola gym in the Valley. While McLeod is not the fanciest place, when you walk in you feel like you're in a basketball arena, not a multipurpose facility.
Loyola's gym is small, but its WAY nicer than the Knapp Center. The Knapp is worst facility in the league and its not particularly close.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #35
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Fan View Post
That's exactly what I thought when looking at that picture. Looks like the Knapp.

I may be biased but I love the McLeod. It's bright, you are close to all the action no matter where you're sitting, and it's got an intimate and cozy feel to it.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote