Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Football

Panther Football Discuss all things related to Panther football.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
claw

Default Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
Doesn't the BOR essentially consider student fees the same as general university support? I mean subsidizing Athletics is subsidizing. I don't think they really care if it's student fee bucket or others it's still out of the University bucket.

https://tuition.uni.edu/17-18-undergrad-tuition-fees
Does all of the student activity fee go to athletics? $59.50/semester

If there's 13,000 students that's over $1.5 Million already.

Isn't that nearly the same amount of money that the PSC raises each year? We have 113,000 Alumni and I don't know how many fans and their combined contributions now equals that of 13,000 students?

I don't think the students are who we should lean on for more $$.
UNI's enrollment has dropped to under 12,000. Fall 16 numbers so 11,906. Which is down from 15. Which is down from 14. Which is down from 13. Noticing a trend?

The issue the BOR has is money coming from the state going to the athletic department, student fees they don't care about. Iowa State is over 2 million in student fees and Iowa is about a million. They can be kept low because of their TV money. Student fees are considered separate that the general fund and university support.

As of the FY15 numbers UNI's funding:
2.2m in ticket stales
3.02m in contributions
2.8m in rights/licencing
1.9m in student fees
8.7m in school funds (general fund is counted in this but not all of this)
1.7m from other sources

Move that student fee up to 6m and drop school funds to 4.7m and it's essentially what the BOR has been pushing for as it's about 4.3m from the general fund going to athletics. Which is paid right back to the school, which makes their entire issue with the funds being used stupid.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #37
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

So - why is our enrollment dropping so steadily?
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
I lost the numbers, I used to have all fall enrollments starting about 1998. From what I remember, and it's been a while since I looked at them, enrollment grew slowly from 98 to about 2011. It started dropping at about 10% a year (roughly 100) students since. It was accelerated/made worse by the complete over reaction and misinformation war that was waged against President Allen over the Price Lab situation. That happened late 2011 and was official in Feb 2012. Enrollment in fall 2012 and fall 2013 dropped by nearly 700-1,000 students from what I remember. Freshman classes were smaller, coupled with our retention rate caused a massive ripple. It's why we've now seen 4 straight years of growth in the freshman class. The students with "hard feelings" are now about 99% gone. We are on our second president since then (also doesn't help). I think we are at "rock bottom" more or less and can move forward

It's odd. Then enrollment is dropping but according to the numbers this year the freshman class is over 2,000 and up about 100 over last year. It's the largest freshman class since 2008 and is the 4th straight year of the freshman class being larger than the one coming in. It seems like it's a retention issue. HOWEVER, the freshman retention rate from 2015 freshman was 85.9, the highest ever recorded in UNI history. There has to be a retention issue after year 2 or 3 but I haven't seen an "Average" retention rate in a few years (which furthers my thought on it)

4 year graudation rate is up and the highest ever recorded
5 year graduation rate is up and the highest ever recorded
Average ACT and GPA of incoming freshman is getting higher.
Most non-Iowa resident students enrolled ever
More minority students than ever before

The numbers are odd to study, and I'm sure it's baffling for the admissions office. I wish I could go "Looks like this" but I see nothing to indicate why it's dropping. Based on freshman class sizes, freshman retention rate, etc... we should be growing, but we aren't. I also wonder what our transfer in rate looks like.

I'd be real interested to see a 5 year strategic plan for growing enrollment. And/or a review of the last 5. Sadly, I think the effects of the Price Lab disaster (which was the right move) really hurt the university

I think that all happened right as Iowa and Iowa Stat were able to capalalize on it. Iowa State is "stopping" their growth on purpose. They are just shy of 37K. Over the last decade they've grown by 44%. They were very aggressive in recruiting kids. Iowa is staying aggresive. They are growing by 1,200-1,500 students every year and want to get that number to 2,000 a year by 2020. Essentially they want to get to 6,500 incoming freshman every year.

UNI doesn't have the money to recruit/advertise like those two. They also seem to refuse too. I drive all over eastern Iowa every week. I see one or two UNI signs. None of them outside of the CF/Wloo area. I see dozens of Iowa/Iowa State signs. Couple that with the Price Lab situation and it set UNI back pretty bad it seems.

Last edited by claw; 03-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #39
northwest iowa panther

Iowa high school student numbers are continually dropping. Competition for in state students not only with ISU and SIU but with private schools, tech schools and junior colleges is at a higher level with a diminishing number of Iowa high school graduates. Internet schools offering on line degrees are increasingly popular.

It doesn't get any easier to attract students. Government statistics show the people with education above high school are at a lower rate for unemployment than those with a high school education or below. Also the higher education level obtained the better chance for employment.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #40
EVSPanther

Programs is something to look at as well from both the perspective of the incoming students as well as outgoing alumni. I think the biggest area UNI has for growth is science and engineering. With John Deere being a major employer in the area that constantly seeks out these students, it would behoove UNI to grow in the science and engineering degrees. I don't know if the ever pursued this accreditation?. I graduated with a manufacturing technology degree from UNI and, while helpful, I would have probably done better earlier in my career by going to Iowa State. I'm not saying UNI has the same capacity to get to ISU's level, but there is a large gap in engineering between the two that, in my opinion, could shrink drastically, and this draws in students seeking Industrial, Mechanical, etc. engineering degrees. I would think there would be a support from the local community to advance this as well. Maybe I don't know all of the details? Maybe they have tried to pursue this in the past? I know teaching will always be at UNI's core, but I think other areas can/should get bigger and/or better to help bring in more students. The other "higher level" degrees can also bring in possible growth with the "larger pockets" of Alumni...that's a theory anyway.
EVSPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #41
BCPanther
PN Crusader

No chance that Iowa State allows the BOR to allow UNI to add any engineering programs.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #42
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
No chance that Iowa State allows the BOR to allow UNI to add any engineering programs.
Bingo. There's been a push in the past to shut down "overlapping" programs and assign them to one school. No chance that UNI is allowed to actually grow our STEM departments.

The BOR is forcing UNI to stay a teachers/business school. Well, that's going to cause growth issues.

The funny thing is talking out bothsides of their mouths and the BOR allows Iowa's business school to continue to grow to kill of UNI's program but won't let UNI grow any of their programs.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #43
EVSPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The funny thing is talking out bothsides of their mouths and the BOR allows Iowa's business school to continue to grow to kill of UNI's program but won't let UNI grow any of their programs.
And that's the part that drives me the most nuts! I've seen in the past 10 years how ISU and UofI have grown both their teaching and engineering programs without a harness like UNI sees. If the regents are wanting to see growth, it would be nice if they let loose the reigns on some of the programs like those.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #44
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
It has pretty much leveled off the past four Fall semesters, within a couple hundred students.

Fall enrollment grew from late '80s (mid-to-high 11k) through the '90s to peak at just over 14k in 2001. In 2002, then-President Koob announced 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' (https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br).

Fall Semester Enrollment:
  • 1981 . . . . 10954
  • 1982 . . . . 10988
  • 1983 . . . . 11204
  • 1984 . . . . 11161
  • 1985 . . . . 11514
  • 1986 . . . . 11540
  • 1987 . . . .
  • 1988 . . . . 11772
  • 1989 . . . . 11645
  • 1990 . . . . 12638
  • 1991 . . . . 13163
  • 1992 . . . . 13045
  • 1993 . . . . 12717
  • 1994 . . . . 12572
  • 1995 . . . . 12802
  • 1996 . . . . 12957
  • 1997 . . . . 13108
  • 1998 . . . . 13329
  • 1999 . . . . 13553
  • 2000 . . . . 13774
  • 2001 . . . . 14070
  • 2002 . . . . 13926
  • 2003 . . . . 13441
  • 2004 . . . . 12824
  • 2005 . . . . 12513
  • 2006 . . . . 12260
  • 2007 . . . . 12609
  • 2008 . . . . 12908
  • 2009 . . . . 13080
  • 2010 . . . . 13201
  • 2011 . . . . 13168
  • 2012 . . . . 12273
  • 2013 . . . . 12159
  • 2014 . . . . 11928
  • 2015 . . . . 11981
  • 2016 . . . . 11905

https://www.library.uni.edu/collecti...uni-fact-sheet (through 2014)
https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-release...llment-numbers (2015)
https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-announc...llment-numbers (2016)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #45
'70 Grad

I think the effects of the Price Lab disaster (which was the right move) really hurt the university

We also dropped a bunch of majors.

Fewer JCs transferring in?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #46
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Grad View Post
I think the effects of the Price Lab disaster (which was the right move) really hurt the university

We also dropped a bunch of majors.

Fewer JCs transferring in?
The majors that were dropped accounted for less than 100 students.

It was 22 BA/S, 20 minors and 16 graduate programs. The programs cut represented less than 2% of the degrees awarded at UNI. The list can be found here: http://www.iowaregents.edu/media/cms...dfF33AB662.pdf

It was programs such as:
BS Applied Phsyics
BA Physics (The BS program was saved...yep, we had a BA and BS program in it)
BA Microbiology
Most of the "emphasis" majors in Geology and Geography. The majors still exist but now there isn't 7 "emphasis" degrees.
The world languages - french, teaching French, German, teaching German, Russian. These program still exist as certificates.

The MA programs there were cut were much the same. Though the STEM programs were hit hard here.

Sadly, what happened in the BOR approved stripping our science department.

The link also shows how few students were in that specific area of emphasis in the major and how few were graduating. We are talking able to count on two hands the number of students from each program and one hand for graduates from each.
So yes, the headlines of "UNI CUTS 60 PROGRAMS ALONG WITH CLOSING THE LAB SCHOOL" did a lot, and I mean a lot, of damage across the state. The true negative impact of going "You can still get your biology major, it just won't have "such and such" emphasis attached to it" is minimal. The impact of those headlines, plus the attempted censure by the faculty, plus the ISU/Iowa lobbyist taking full advantage of that? Immense.

As I mentioned, you can see the immediate impact. At the start of that year there were 13,100. Fall enrollment, just 6 months after all of this, was 900 students less.

It's now been 5 classes. We have a new president with a directive to grow the university. We have 4 straight freshman classes bigger than the last. We have the largest freshman class on campus since 2008. We have a chance, though it will take a ton of work, to grow back to 14,000+. We HAVE to get over 14,000. To be involved like a conference like the MAC we need to be about double the size we are. The smallest MAC school is 18,700. The average is is about 25K. Strides MUST be taken to get to 15,000 or 16,000 at a minimum.

Heck, look at our conference mates that are public schools in the MVC
MSU 25K
ISUR 21K
SIU 16K
WSU 15K
ISUB 14K

Add in the MVFC and we are the second smallest school, a head of only the University of South Dakota - and all of the Dakota schools are growing at an astonishing rate.

The decision to scale back to the scale that Koob made was short sided. It's 2017 and we have made significant improvements to on campus housing options, and have more off campus options. We have to make a push to get back to 14,000+.

Last edited by claw; 03-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #47
SteinPizza

Isn't there a push to bring in more out of state students? That would help.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
'70 Grad

Agreed, claw. It was the publicity more than the actual number of students affected.

I was surprised at WSU's enrollment. Thought this "major research university" was 20k or more.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Agreed, claw. It was the publicity more than the actual number of students affected.

I was surprised at WSU's enrollment. Thought this "major research university" was 20k or more.
You left out Urban. They're a 'major urban research university'.

I spent a month in Wichita one weekend. That ain't urban...
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #50
claw

Quote:

Agreed. From 2015 to 2016 they added over 3,700 new students. The strange part is their enrollment actually dropped 21 students.

The also enrolled their largest freshman class ever - a massive 1,476 freshman.

The more I look at WSU the more they look like a "second phase" JUCO. You got your AA at the first JUCO. Come here to get your BA "JUCO" degree. It's the same look we get on their basketball recruting. They take more JUCO and prep school players than any other program. They seem to build their university around JUCO transfers as well.

Enrollment research is interesting. The amount of research and planning that one could get lost in with recruiting students and creating recruiting plans is crazy

Last edited by claw; 03-09-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #51
SteinPizza

Quote:
You left out Urban. They're a 'major urban research university'.

I spent a month in Wichita one weekend. That ain't urban...
One thing WSU should have going for it is aerospace, given the presence of that industry. Short of that, it's basically got nothing of note minus the Koch brothers and a notorious serial killer.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #52
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
It has pretty much leveled off the past four Fall semesters, within a couple hundred students.

Fall enrollment grew from late '80s (mid-to-high 11k) through the '90s to peak at just over 14k in 2001. In 2002, then-President Koob announced 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' (https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br).

Fall Semester Enrollment:
  • 1981 . . . . 10954
  • 1982 . . . . 10988
  • 1983 . . . . 11204
  • 1984 . . . . 11161
  • 1985 . . . . 11514
  • 1986 . . . . 11540
  • 1987 . . . .
  • 1988 . . . . 11772
  • 1989 . . . . 11645
  • 1990 . . . . 12638
  • 1991 . . . . 13163
  • 1992 . . . . 13045
  • 1993 . . . . 12717
  • 1994 . . . . 12572
  • 1995 . . . . 12802
  • 1996 . . . . 12957
  • 1997 . . . . 13108
  • 1998 . . . . 13329
  • 1999 . . . . 13553
  • 2000 . . . . 13774
  • 2001 . . . . 14070
  • 2002 . . . . 13926
  • 2003 . . . . 13441
  • 2004 . . . . 12824
  • 2005 . . . . 12513
  • 2006 . . . . 12260
  • 2007 . . . . 12609
  • 2008 . . . . 12908
  • 2009 . . . . 13080
  • 2010 . . . . 13201
  • 2011 . . . . 13168
  • 2012 . . . . 12273
  • 2013 . . . . 12159
  • 2014 . . . . 11928
  • 2015 . . . . 11981
  • 2016 . . . . 11905

https://www.library.uni.edu/collecti...uni-fact-sheet (through 2014)
https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-release...llment-numbers (2015)
https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-announc...llment-numbers (2016)
I have to think a very large part of this enrollment decrease the last 7 yearso is due to some very aggressive marketing and intentional enrollment growth by the land grant university down the road.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #53
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
I have to think a very large part of this enrollment decrease the last 7 yearso is due to some very aggressive marketing and intentional enrollment growth by the land grant university down the road.
Then get in the mix and compete. I doubt you're opposed to that, so it's more of a rhetorical answer.

If total Iowa high school enrollment is dropping (makes sense it would be), then start getting aggressive with surrounding states. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #54
EVSPanther

Why is the state opposed to tuition reciprocity again?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #55
vbfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
It's not rocket science.
that's good, since the Regents won't let UNI do rocket science.
vbfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:59 PM   #56
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVSPanther View Post
Why is the state opposed to tuition reciprocity again?
About 15,000 Illinois residents paying out of state tuition to the University of Iowa....
Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #57
EVSPanther

So either keep your 15k and give general fund money to UNI or allow reciprocity ...if only politics were easier!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #58
BCPanther
PN Crusader

You wouldn't have to include Illinois in a reciprocity agreement.

Even just having reciprocity with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and Kansas would be huge.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #59
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfan19 View Post
that's good, since the Regents won't let UNI do rocket science.
The irony, of course, is that in hiring Mark Nook as president ...

Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #60
Blue42

Quote:
Then get in the mix and compete. I doubt you're opposed to that, so it's more of a rhetorical answer.

If total Iowa high school enrollment is dropping (makes sense it would be), then start getting aggressive with surrounding states. It's not rocket science.
Yeah I don't disagree.

One of my kids went through the college search process a few years ago.

Her campus visit experience at UNI was not good. She also visited ISU and they did a terrific job. That made a difference.

She ended up going out of state on a scholly but her day at UNI did not help entice her to enroll. They need to up their game on the marketing end. They've got the product.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #61
scott_8888

Blue42 can I ask what your child did not like about their visit? You can PM me if you would rather not share on the board.
scott_8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #62
claw

Quote:
You wouldn't have to include Illinois in a reciprocity agreement.

Even just having reciprocity with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and Kansas would be huge.
The easy counter to that is "UNI is not all that close to Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas (or Nebraska and South Dakota). What is the actual potential gain from that plan?"

Even if not full reciprocity, I think the idea of a hybrid out of state/in state tuition for states touching Iowa would be smart.

Current in state/out of state expenses:
Tuition and mandatory fees: 8,309/18,851
Room and Board: 8,269/8,269
Total: 16,938/27,480

That is a $10,542 different between in and out of state. Split the difference for kids from directly neighboring states and go to:
In state: 8,309
In Region: 13,509
Out of Region: 18,851

That seems to make the most sense to me. We are a regional university. Yes, we are built on Iowa students. However, to actually be a regional university we must focus on recruiting the actual region we reside in. Based on the 4 minutes of looking I did, $13,509 for a kid from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota would be a pretty solid deal.

USD and SDSU offer reciprocity in Iowa to a specific range of counties. They are VERY successful at pulling kids from that area. Do the same thing but offer it to the entire state. Get kids in. Added benefit, also helps the athletic budget as paying 5,200 less per scholarship is nice.

To Blue's point, and it's been beaten to death here for years, the marketing at/around UNI is terrible. The tours, from what I heard, don't seem to showcase the university correctly and seem to touch on almost exclusively selling points that don't mean much. The amount of, fun/engaging activities is also low from what I've heard. I have two neices that are high school seniors this year and toured UNI (as a family we have been going to UNI since the 1930s). That was their take away and it seemed to be echoed by their friends they went with. They may still end up at UNI simply because one has a UNI alum mother and the other has UNI connections as well with friends going there and the family thing. Weren't super impressed with the visit though

Last edited by claw; 03-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #63
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_8888 View Post
Blue42 can I ask what your child did not like about their visit? You can PM me if you would rather not share on the board.
I'll ask my wife for some specifics. She was there in person that day...I wasn't.

She agreed the day was not what she hoped it would be.

And we are both HUGE UNI fans and promoters...so we wouldn't criticize quickly.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #64
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

USD and SDSU offer reciprocity in Iowa to a specific range of counties. They are VERY successful at pulling kids from that area. Do the same thing but offer it to the entire state. Get kids in. Added benefit, also helps the athletic budget as paying 5,200 less per scholarship is nice.
I have posted here more than once about how aggressive NDSU is in its marketing to the seven-county Twin Cities area ... billboards, print ads, probably TV ads (I watch little live TV, but suspect if I were to watch some of the Minnesota high school playoffs in football, hockey or basketball, I would see one or two) and college fairs (NDSU was scheduled to be part of 15 booths at the National College Fair in the Minneapolis Convention Center last September ... plus side is that UNI was schedule for five, more that ISU or Iowa http://panthernation.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=36).

A targeted reciprocity agreement with the seven-county Twin Cities area (which has a high graduation rate, high college entrance exam averages and thousands of students looking to continue their education each year) would help UNI get the enrollment increase that the BOR is asking of them.

Whether the Iowa leg and the MN leg would be up for talks is beyond me, though.

Last edited by ronfitch; 03-10-2017 at 04:53 PM.
ronfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #65
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Keep in mind UNI out of state tuition/fees isn't that far off from tuition and fees at illinois State ($25k Illinois in state vs $27k UNI out of state). It would only take a little bit to narrow the gap and attract more Illinois residents. Their tuition isn't going to flat line any time soon and Iowa (as a state in regent funding) is in much better shape financially.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #66
SteinPizza

I know a public university isn't run exactly the same as a private/public business, but the more I read some informed posts here makes me realize what an idiotic decision it was to throttle enrollment by Koob or whoever. In short, what a dumba$$.

You're either growing in some way, or dying. There's no middle ground.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #67
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
I know a public university isn't run exactly the same as a private/public business, but the more I read some informed posts here makes me realize what an idiotic decision it was to throttle enrollment by Koob or whoever. In short, what a dumba$$.

You're either growing in some way, or dying. There's no middle ground.
It's a dark black mark on what otherwise was a fantastic presidency. We were headed for 17k and he was worried we didn't have the infrastructure to support it. He should have forced the Regents hand rather than backing off. There is plenty of space to build new dorms...
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #68
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
It's a dark black mark on what otherwise was a fantastic presidency. We were headed for 17k and he was worried we didn't have the infrastructure to support it. He should have forced the Regents hand rather than backing off. There is plenty of space to build new dorms...
In the press release announcing the decrease that year, it states:

"Following a year of statewide budget cuts and several reductions to UNI's budget, Koob told board members, 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' He said that in spite of a 29.8 percent tuition increase in the past two years, for the first time in his tenure as president, UNI had begun its fiscal year with a decrease in its General Fund Budget.

'Quality instruction is our number one priority and is our continuing commitment,' he said. 'We may see further declines in enrollment in the future, but that will be influenced by appropriations and recruitment strategies.''

(source: https://newsroom.uni.edu/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br)

If your two main sources of revenue are the state legislature (who has made cuts to UNI's budget) and tuition (which UNI had just raised 30% over the previous two years), something has to give.

One of the hallmarks of UNI is that faculty - tenured and adjunct - teach the classes. No TAs teaching (when I was one, it was "Graduate Assistants" and they would grade assessments, lead lab or discussion sections and generally assist faculty but never actually teach courses - the schedule listed an instructor and it was an instructor who taught the course).

I left in the late '90s, though, so that may no longer be the case.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #69
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
In the press release announcing the decrease that year, it states:

"Following a year of statewide budget cuts and several reductions to UNI's budget, Koob told board members, 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' He said that in spite of a 29.8 percent tuition increase in the past two years, for the first time in his tenure as president, UNI had begun its fiscal year with a decrease in its General Fund Budget.

'Quality instruction is our number one priority and is our continuing commitment,' he said. 'We may see further declines in enrollment in the future, but that will be influenced by appropriations and recruitment strategies.''

(source: https://newsroom.uni.edu/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br)

If your two main sources of revenue are the state legislature (who has made cuts to UNI's budget) and tuition (which UNI had just raised 30% over the previous two years), something has to give.

One of the hallmarks of UNI is that faculty - tenured and adjunct - teach the classes. No TAs teaching (when I was one, it was "Graduate Assistants" and they would grade assessments, lead lab or discussion sections and generally assist faculty but never actually teach courses - the schedule listed an instructor and it was an instructor who taught the course).

I left in the late '90s, though, so that may no longer be the case.
The fault in that logic is that if tuition is going up and money from the state is decreasing, why cut the number of students paying money to be here? You're cutting off both hands in that situation.

As, BC said, outside of the enrollment throttling, Koob was a pretty good president. However, it could easily be argued that slashing enrollment, rather than holding enrollment where it was, is the start of the domino effect that led to the issue Allen had to deal with, and is now having us at our lowest enrollment in over quarter century. We are now within a 1,000 students of where we were when we moved to D1.

Enrollment should have been held between 14,000-15,000. I'm not kidding when I say that 14,000 is the absolute bare minimum UNI needs to be at to have success moving forward. With the new apartment style dorms that have been built, all of the apartment complexes that have gone up over the last 15-20 years, there is no reason UNI shouldn't be able to get too 17,000. Make the push to get to 15,000. While doing that devise a plan to get to 17,000-20,000. I don't know what that plan entails, but it has to happen if we want to continue to see this university, and it's athletic programs, thrive.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #70
'70 Grad

Was Koob thinking that higher enrollment meant more instructors; and since tuition did not cover those costs 100%, lower state appropriations meant we needed to adjust to the state money available?