Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Panther Nation > Panther Nation Off Topic Lounge

Panther Nation Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything and everything here

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #36
UnderParPanther

Default Re: UNI Presidential Search

correct. Nook could be the best president we have ever had, but i dont know him or anything about him. Just reacting to what I knew about Wohlport from various people in different departments really liking what he was doing and hoping it would continue.
UnderParPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #37
GonzoCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther'73 View Post
Wohlport is well liked on both sides of Hudson and has done a really good job as interim moving UNI forward.
I've seen that phrase a couple times now, maybe it was you both times. It that how CF is characterized now, by which side of Hudson you are on? That's funny because Hudson was pretty much the western edge of town when I was there. Although there was a junior high a few blocks west of it.

A bit like Des Moines, when I moved here 86th St was the western edge of town. Now 86th St is probably less than half way from downtown to the western edge, which never stops moving.

That's right, I'm old.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 3 candidates. I heard the interim guy speak once and he was fine, but no reason to think the one who got the job won't be fine. I wasn't too exited about the other guy who got fired (whatever) from his last job. There's always a good excuse for that coming from the employee, but all things being equal, it is what it is.

Last edited by GonzoCat; 12-06-2016 at 08:29 PM.
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #38
panther1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
I've seen that phrase a couple times now, maybe it was you both times. It that how CF is characterized now, by which side of Hudson you are on? That's funny because Hudson was pretty much the western edge of town when I was there. Although there was a junior high a few blocks west of it.

A bit like Des Moines, when I moved here 86th St was the western edge of town. Now 86th St is probably less than half way from downtown to the western edge, which never stops moving.

That's right, I'm old.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 3 candidates. I heard the interim guy speak once and he was fine, but no reason to think the one who got the job won't be fine. I wasn't too exited about the other guy who got fired (whatever) from his last job. There's always a good excuse for that coming from the employee, but all things being equal, it is what it is.
I think the reference to both sides of Hudson refers to the Athletic Department on one side and the rest of the University on the other.
panther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #39
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
I think the reference to both sides of Hudson refers to the Athletic Department on one side and the rest of the University on the other.

Yeah. Thought that was pretty clear. Hudson is the clear dividing line between athletics and academics.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #40
GonzoCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
Ah, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Pretty obvious once you spell it out. Although the west gym is on the east side, which makes you wonder where the east gym is.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #41
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
Ah, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Pretty obvious once you spell it out. Although the west gym is on the east side, which makes you wonder where the east gym is.
East Gym (Women's Gym, IIRC) is now the Innovative Teaching and Technolgy Center, just north and east of the library:

https://www.library.uni.edu/collecti...ative-teaching
Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #42
'70 Grad

And the West Gym was originally called the Men's Gym. East/Women's was built first and in the first decades of the 20th century, it was the only gym.

No, that was before my time on campus.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #43
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Grad View Post
And the West Gym was originally called the Men's Gym. East/Women's was built first and in the first decades of the 20th century, it was the only gym.

No, that was before my time on campus.
Right by the original power plant, which is where the union expanded in the late '80s.

At one time, the former "Dynamo Room" for the steam plant was used as an Anthropology Lab (had an anthro class in there) in the decades after its use for ... dynamoing (?):

https://www.library.uni.edu/collecti.../power-plant-1
Old 12-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #44
northwest iowa panther

My biggest concern with our new President is he wil have to answer to a board of regents that will have to make cuts and or raise tuition now that the state legislature and governor are controlled by republicans.

My gut feeling will be we will be forced to "fish or cut bait" in support of our division I athletic program. Subsidies to our athletics from the general fund may come to an end--the state legislators now feel they have the mandate to reduce taxes and decrease spending. Our athletic program is an easy target.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #45
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
My biggest concern with our new President is he wil have to answer to a board of regents that will have to make cuts and or raise tuition now that the state legislature and governor are controlled by republicans.

My gut feeling will be we will be forced to "fish or cut bait" in support of our division I athletic program. Subsidies to our athletics from the general fund may come to an end--the state legislators now feel they have the mandate to reduce taxes and decrease spending. Our athletic program is an easy target.
Could be, who knows? You may want to search for what Kim Reynolds has said about this. She's your next Governor. Terry Brandstad was just announced as the new Ambassador to China.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #46
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
Could be, who knows? You may want to search for what Kim Reynolds has said about this. She's your next Governor. Terry Brandstad was just announced as the new Ambassador to China.
New boss, same as the old boss?

Unless there are changes in the allocation model, whoever has the job will have to appease and answer to the Regents, which surely factors into their decision on who to hire.

My hope is that he can come up with a plan to get more money directly to the university outside of the allocation and tuition. I have no idea what that could be, though. But I imagine the question came up in the interviews as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #47
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Nook has the resume of experience leading institutions somewhat similar to UNI. Each candidate had their advantages or they wouldn't have been finalists. I look forward to hearing more about why they picked Nook (and read between the lines about why they didn't pick the others). It did seem that Wohlpart was groomed for the role. So, hopefully, that means that Nook made them think he could be even better. We hope.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
Nook has the resume of experience leading institutions somewhat similar to UNI. Each candidate had their advantages or they wouldn't have been finalists. I look forward to hearing more about why they picked Nook (and read between the lines about why they didn't pick the others). It did seem that Wohlpart was groomed for the role. So, hopefully, that means that Nook made them think he could be even better. We hope.
Fact he is from small town Iowa may have been his ace card. He'll be amongst family and friends. There may not be the problem of trying to find a new president in the next few years.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote