Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Football

Panther Football Discuss all things related to Panther football.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #36
claw

Default Re: Klieman to Minnesota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Row the Boat...........To Minneapolis.
Techincally, WMU got the trademark to Row the Boat in 2015.

He'll have to scream SKI-U-MAH (complete gibberish) from now on.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Techincally, WMU got the trademark to Row the Boat in 2015.

He'll have to scream SKI-U-MAH (complete gibberish) from now on.
That was fast. No recruits have to Google his name.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #38
SteinPizza

I think I read 6 years, $21M? I'm a little surprised the $ aren't higher, but 6 years means he got an extra couple tacked on given their current mess. I wouldn't doubt almost all of that is guaranteed, too. Like I said earlier, he had big bargaining leverage coming in given their bad situation with current players, past players, alumni, area high school coaches, the drunken, bearded Viking mascot guy...you name it.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

What happened to Les Miles going to Minnesota? When I went off-line yesterday evening, the radio guys were all talking about Miles, not Fleck. Did Miles turn it down? Did Minnesota decide they didn't want Miles? Or was it all rumor anyway?
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #40
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
What happened to Les Miles going to Minnesota? When I went off-line yesterday evening, the radio guys were all talking about Miles, not Fleck. Did Miles turn it down? Did Minnesota decide they didn't want Miles? Or was it all rumor anyway?
Miles was in town. Miles was a legitimate plan b, and did interview. Fleck was wavering on taking the job so they brought Miles in to force Fleck's hand.

As far as stein being surprised by how low the money is, that's still $3.5m and puts him 6th in the conference for pay behind only Harbaugh, Meyer, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio. All of them are top in the top 14 highest paid coaches in the nation. Looking at it and it looks like $3.5m is the 26th highest paid coach in the nation. I'd say that's pretty damn high
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #41
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Miles was in town. Miles was a legitimate plan b, and did interview. Fleck was wavering on taking the job so they brought Miles in to force Fleck's hand.

Interesting. Seems like it worked. However, I don't think Fleck's schtick is going to work in the Twin Cities. It is best for an underachieving regional school, not a flagship program that plays in the shadow of an NFL team.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #42
SteinPizza

Quote:

As far as stein being surprised by how low the money is, that's still $3.5m and puts him 6th in the conference for pay behind only Harbaugh, Meyer, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio. All of them are top in the top 14 highest paid coaches in the nation. Looking at it and it looks like $3.5m is the 26th highest paid coach in the nation. I'd say that's pretty damn high
In hindsight, it's obviously good cash. I also just saw something like 5 years, $18M, but still good. It's probably all guaranteed too. I read that Claeys had $500K buyout. That's chump change in today's landscape.

The key for him will be limiting immediate transfers, and keeping current recruits. If one goes south for him, it's an issue. If both, a disaster. The disaster is possible, given that there's probably no way to erase the negative feelings the current players have for the admin. If I'm UNI, I'm working the phones hard right now. We need more talent, and there are some guys looking for a place to land.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #43
hoopfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
In hindsight, it's obviously good cash. I also just saw something like 5 years, $18M, but still good. It's probably all guaranteed too. I read that Claeys had $500K buyout. That's chump change in today's landscape.

The key for him will be limiting immediate transfers, and keeping current recruits. If one goes south for him, it's an issue. If both, a disaster. The disaster is possible, given that there's probably no way to erase the negative feelings the current players have for the admin. If I'm UNI, I'm working the phones hard right now. We need more talent, and there are some guys looking for a place to land.
The investigative report by the administration is pretty ugly to read. If players want to transfer in support of their teammates who are referenced in that report, you let them leave right away and start rebuilding the culture of your program.

Whether charges were pressed or not, the nature of what went on with the accused players is horrifying/disgusting and those are not individuals I would want associated with my team. If the contract is guaranteed, let those players leave and build with your guys.
hoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #44
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopfan View Post
The investigative report by the administration is pretty ugly to read. If players want to transfer in support of their teammates who are referenced in that report, you let them leave right away and start rebuilding the culture of your program.

Whether charges were pressed or not, the nature of what went on with the accused players is horrifying/disgusting and those are not individuals I would want associated with my team. If the contract is guaranteed, let those players leave and build with your guys.

That report is mostly about incidents, but it is clearly an issue of culture. The reported incidents were probably not unusual for the program. Frankly, I'm really surprised that the compliance czars for institutions don't do more to patrol the recruiting process. The coaches have to make a list of every call or text, but there seems to be almost no oversight for the recruitment visits themselves.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #45
SteinPizza

Quote:

He's bound to nudge some guys towards the door, just like any coaching change. What will hurt him is this has the potential to take several guys he'd probably want to keep. But, it also sounds like he's pretty enthusiastic, salesman type. That could limit a lot of potential damage.

My comments above weren't a dismissal of anything that happened, just a reflection of the players opinions based on news stories I've read. Like them or not, they're their feelings.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #46
'70 Grad

Will Fleck be able to beat the Hog eyes?
Klieman did last year.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #47
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
That report is mostly about incidents, but it is clearly an issue of culture. The reported incidents were probably not unusual for the program. Frankly, I'm really surprised that the compliance czars for institutions don't do more to patrol the recruiting process. The coaches have to make a list of every call or text, but there seems to be almost no oversight for the recruitment visits themselves.
I haven't read the report, but what in the recruiting process stood out to you?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #48
hoopfan

Quote:
I haven't read the report, but what in the recruiting process stood out to you?
One of the accused was a recruit who was on campus for his visit. The recruit and one of the current players were the ones who initiated the ordeal with the young woman. After they were done, something like 8 more members of the team took their turn. It's absolutely vile.

Last edited by hoopfan; 01-07-2017 at 03:25 PM.
hoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #49
SteinPizza

Quote:
One of the accused was a recruit who was on campus for his visit. The recruit and one of the current players were the ones who initiated the ordeal with the young woman. After they were done, something like 8 more members of the team took there turn. It's absolutely vile.
A recruit? Wow, but not that older players would make it any better. The word "Pitino" comes to mind.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #50
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
A recruit? Wow, but not that older players would make it any better. The word "Pitino" comes to mind.

An Iowa State recruit!

Seriously, after most schools, including Iowa State pulled their offers to him, he held a press conference and picked up the Iowa State hat, but had an Indiana hat under it. Since then, Indiana has pulled their offer too.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #51
lakesbison

Klieman to Minnesota wasn't a real worry.
Klieman to Western Michigan will be a worry.

Lots of Wisconsin guys on NDSU staff that would recruit well in that area.

I'm surprised at PJ Fleck hire since I am a Minnesota Gopher season ticket holder...

NDSU/UNI are routinely better than MAC teams.
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #52
UNI92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post

I'm surprised at PJ Fleck hire since I am a Minnesota Gopher season ticket holder...

Interesting take...never know how the dominoes fall
Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #53
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Are you worried that Fleck will do a better job of recruiting in the state and hurt the Bison?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #54
run&blade

Head coach in FCS seems to be a dead end.
run&blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #55
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by run&blade View Post
Head coach in FCS seems to be a dead end.
If you consider jobs that pay between $150k to $350k a year a dead end.

But that's probably chump change to a big shooter like u.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #56
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
If you consider jobs that pay between $150k to $350k a year a dead end.

But that's probably chump change to a big shooter like u.
R&B is partially right. While they're obviously not dead ends, it's obvious it's very difficult/impossible to move from an FCS job to HC in a P5 conference. The really successful guys like Kleiman or Bohl might get mentioned as candidates, but just like this case, there will always be bigger names ahead of them in the pecking order. Can anyone think of a FCS coach who recently made a similar jump, at least to someplace that isn't a crap football school?

If he wanted Kleiman could probably put his name out as a P5 D Coordinator candidate, and potentially attract some interest from decent P5 teams. That assumes it's a direction he wants to go.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #57
Blue42

Quote:
R&B is partially right. While they're obviously not dead ends, it's obvious it's very difficult/impossible to move from an FCS job to HC in a P5 conference. The really successful guys like Kleiman or Bohl might get mentioned as candidates, but just like this case, there will always be bigger names ahead of them in the pecking order. Can anyone think of a FCS coach who recently made a similar jump, at least to someplace that isn't a crap football school?

If he wanted Kleiman could probably put his name out as a P5 D Coordinator candidate, and potentially attract some interest from decent P5 teams. That assumes it's a direction he wants to go.
Direct to P5 school...Last is probably the Richmond coach who went to Virginia.

But Jerry Kill is another good scenario. Goes FCS to G5 and has some success...And then a quick jump to P5.

Bohl could be the next guy to do that...He's got Wyo trending up.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #58
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Jim Harbaugh went from San Diego to Stanford. Other than that, I can't think of too many other FCS to BCS program jumps.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #59
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

By the way, did anyone else see this video of former Panther Dymon Adams played prior to the National Championship game?
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18437521
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #60
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Jim Harbaugh went from San Diego to Stanford. Other than that, I can't think of too many other FCS to BCS program jumps.
Jim Tressel from YSU to Ohio State.

Mike London from Richmond to Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #61
uni1988

Terry Allen
uni1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #62
PantherFan

Kurt Ferentz
Paul Johnson
Skip Holtz

There are a few. It is more likely that you get a FBS head coaching job by being an assistant at an FBS school.
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #63
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Who is Kurt Ferentz?

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #64
PantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
Who is Kurt Ferentz?
Whoops! Sorry. Not an Iowa fan.
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #65
UNIPanther007

Quote:

I wouldn't say routinely better. The MVC schools would struggle with most of the MAC right now. Has been and will continue to be a tough conference with great football. I feel the same about the MVC too...for the record.
UNIPanther007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #66
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherFan View Post
Whoops! Sorry. Not an Iowa fan.
Can't imagine many are after his nepotism in his recent coaching hires.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #67
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
Can't imagine many are after his nepotism in his recent coaching hires.
Program that pays $600k to a weightlifting coach and had 50 yards passing in bowl game won't go out and hire a real OC.

Instead...Hire an OL coach who happens to be the coaches son. Classic.

The Ferentz family continues to fleece the Iowa athletic dept.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #68
BCPanther
PN Crusader

If his name was Joe Smith everybody would be raving about what a great hire he was. Time in the NFL and with Belichick and a P5 OL coach by age 30. He'll be really good because he's the one guy Kirk will give some leeway to.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #69
UNIPanther007

Klieman may not be going to Minnesota but Paup is. Buddies with Fleck I guess. Good move for him but another great coach gone and huge loss for the UNI program. Now Farley has at least 3 holes to fill on the coaching staff...should be an interesting next few weeks.
UNIPanther007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #70
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIPanther007 View Post
Klieman may not be going to Minnesota but Paup is. Buddies with Fleck I guess. Good move for him but another great coach gone and huge loss for the UNI program. Now Farley has at least 3 holes to fill on the coaching staff...should be an interesting next few weeks.
That is a great move for him if true, and very tough for UNI. Farley will have a hard time finding a guy with the ability to coach up players like Paup seemed to have. Good news is there's a few returning starters in that group.