WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii in danger of dropping football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii in danger of dropping football?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-drop-football

Good thing we're going out there when we can.

Is this just the tip of the iceberg in FBS? Or is Hawaii literally and figuratively operating on an island in and of itself?

One interesting suggestion I've heard - go independent and play 11-12 home games to avoid travel.

Re: Hawaii in danger of dropping football?

It is possible that we could see a number of schools dropping football b/c the rising costs associated with stipends and whatnot. But Hawaii is in a bad spot financially given the higher cost of travel and the fact that they are not in a P5 league that gets TV money hand over fist. Plus their lack of success that past few years (6 wins followed by 3 wins followed by 1 win) probably means declining attendance and booster support.

I'm not sure how playing 11-12 home games would help financially. Sure, they'd have less travel themselves, but they would have to pay each of their opponents a pretty hefty guarantee and probably have to pay for their travel/accomadations. And their average attendance would probably drop if they played at home every single week.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
      http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-drop-football

Good thing we're going out there when we can.

Is this just the tip of the iceberg in FBS? Or is Hawaii literally and figuratively operating on an island in and of itself?

One interesting suggestion I've heard - go independent and play 11-12 home games to avoid travel.
      I would assume if Hawaii had to buy every home game (and typically pay opponents travel) then they'd be in worse off position than they are now.

Probably more likely they'd switch to a primarily road team and collect guarantees themselves
      "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
        Probably more likely they'd switch to a primarily road team and collect guarantees themselves
        I can't see any way that's financially viable. Less home games means less support, not only from the average Joe Blow fan, but more importantly from corporate/business donors who buy skyboxes, premium parking, etc, etc. It also means less revenue from broadcast rights over time, since less people will be tuning in to game broadcasts, coaches shows, etc., due to declining interest. Being primarily a road team hasn't worked real well for the Washington Generals, and it would be even worse in D1 college sports.

Comment

This is why June Jones jumped ship from there and went to SMU. Hasn't been great at either school but he did pretty well at Hawaii for what he had to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
            I can't see any way that's financially viable. Less home games means less support, not only from the average Joe Blow fan, but more importantly from corporate/business donors who buy skyboxes, premium parking, etc, etc. It also means less revenue from broadcast rights over time, since less people will be tuning in to game broadcasts, coaches shows, etc., due to declining interest. Being primarily a road team hasn't worked real well for the Washington Generals, and it would be even worse in D1 college sports.
            +1 for this line.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I've said this before, that I think a lot of smaller colleges will be heading to the AAU model and club sports.

Comment

Unfortunately the cuts won't stop there. If a school cuts football they will for certain cut women's sports because they don't need have to balance as much title 9 scholarships.

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                It is possible that we could see a number of schools dropping football b/c the rising costs associated with stipends and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
                  It's funny you mention that. I have a friend in Des Moines who is a big Hawaii fan and in the past we have teased him about Hawaii playing only home games and high school teams and the like.
                  "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

I think they're in a pretty unique situation. I still think a lot of programs will downsize, to FCS or a new equivalent, but dropping football is a tough pill to swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      The Generals games are usually well attended even if it's not to see the Generals, lol.

Comment

I wonder how often the Generals coach gets fired, what with the abysmal record they have?
                        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

A short article in the WCF Courier the day after this story hit the newswires had their athletic director backtracking on the original story. He said his comments to their equivalent of our Board of Regents was meant to indicate their funding model is not sustainable and changes need to be made, really downplaying the idea that they would drop football.

Comment

Working...
                          X