WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MVFC to allow schools to implement video replay review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVFC to allow schools to implement video replay review

In this week's "#Troy's Take", AD Dannen, whilst talking about the Dome videoboard project that is underway, mentioned that the MV(F)C will begin allowing schools to implement replay review this year.

Not sure to what extent it will end up being, and the scope will inevitably be smaller than it is at the FBS level due to the general level of video coverage for the typical FCS "broadcast" (fewer cameras, and sometimes the quality leaves something to be desired), but at least some of the blatent miscalls might be overturned.

Haven't been able to find any other info about the matter, other than an article from SIU that stated:
    Officials from the league and its 10 member schools are expected to discuss the costs of adding replay at a February 2014 meeting in St. Louis, Viverito said.

If anything, it might help with those "targetting" ejection calls.
    Last edited by JayJ79; 03-01-2014, 01:54 AM.

Re: MVFC to allow schools to implement video replay review

I hope they do it. I'm a bit skeptical that schools like Indiana State and Western Illinois are going to vote to spend more money.
    #MACtion

Comment

from today's ‪#‎TroysTake‬:
      Will UNI football be implementing video replay official review this season?
      • Yes. DVSport, the company that provides replay equipment and services to all of FBS football, will be providing replay for UNI home games this year.
        The MVFC will assign a replay official as well. 27 MVFC games will have replay this season.
        Two teams, UNI and NDSU, will have replay for all home games.

Comment

I'm an advocate for replay, but I'd like to see the league wait until it can be offered for all games.

I'd hate to see something that could be overturned in the rest of the games that weren't covered by replay affect how the season ends (and not just for UNI, but any team). With a potentially close league, a missed call could cost a game in the standings, or a missed targeting call could affect a team the next game.

Is UNI and NDSU at an advantage or disadvantage for having all their home games covered by replay while the rest of league isn't?

Comment

if the league waited until it could be offered for all games, then it probably would not be offered for many years, if at all.

bad/missed calls can affect either team, so I wouldn't say that it offers any particular disadvantages or advantages on the whole.

And there can still be bad or missed calls even with replay, especially at this level where the production quality isn't near the level of some of the P5 or NFL games (fewer camera angles, less experienced camera operators, etc.)

Comment

It's probably good that the two programs with the most to play for are the ones with replay for all home games.

Comment

Can we get a review of last year's NDSU game where Dorleant was flagged for pass interference on Vraa that led to the winning touchdown?! Just kidding, but I hope our video guys replay that before this year's NDSU game. I get fired up just remembering it...

Comment

Originally posted by Unionpanther View Post
                Can we get a review of last year's NDSU game where Dorleant was flagged for pass interference on Vraa that led to the winning touchdown?! Just kidding, but I hope our video guys replay that before this year's NDSU game. I get fired up just remembering it...

I'm looking forward to asking some Bison fans about that one when I see them in person in Ames next Saturday.

Comment

happened to catch CFU channel 15 showing a classic UNI FB game: 2007 1st round playoff vs. New Hampshire. It was great seeing Eric Sanders and our NFL offensive linemen once again.

Though it reminded me that if there had been replay review in that game, we might never have gotten "the catch" with Montari Leonard's hair snagging the winning TD reception, as earlier in the 4th, the officials ruled that UNI had fumbled the ball (which was recovered by UNH), though the replay quite likely would have shown that he was down before the ball came out.

Comment

Welcome to the 21st century, fellas.

Comment

Working...
                    X