Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Basketball

Panther Men's Basketball Discuss all things related to Panther men's basketball.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
PantherFan

Default Jacobson's Named Mentioed for OK State Job

Ben mentioned for OSU job. Doubt it is anything serious, but you never know.

http://newsok.com/article/5542249
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
sevelev711

Default Re: Jacobson's Named Mentioed for OK State Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherFan View Post
Ben mentioned for OSU job. Doubt it is anything serious, but you never know.

http://newsok.com/article/5542249
Yeah, this seems like wishful thinking from this newspaper rather than any actual discussion. They just took a bunch of coaches and said, "Hey, we could get them."

Last edited by sevelev711; 03-20-2017 at 08:01 AM.
sevelev711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
achrist70

Unless they are willing to open up the checkbook a little more I don't see them getting anyone on that list.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
SteinPizza

There are some pretty qualified people in that list. Interesting to see Doug Gottlieb's name. I didn't realize he was interested, or would even have the experience to be considered.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
CyCarp

Didn't a Chris Olivier end up there? That reason alone really makes me question whether Jake would want to go there. He might have to do some major cleaning house there, or change the way he works.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Doug Gottlieb is getting that job. They almost gave it to him last time until they found out Underwood was interested.

Its not a significant raise and its a terrible culture fit for Jake. I put the chances at less than 1% that Jake ends up there.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
SteinPizza

I'm a little surprised OK St isn't more serious about basketball. $1M is not a large number at a P5 program. They also had some semi recent success when Eddie Sutton was there. That part of the country is more football oriented, but that hasn't stopped some similar schools from putting in resources.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
I'm a little surprised OK St isn't more serious about basketball. $1M is not a large number at a P5 program. They also had some semi recent success when Eddie Sutton was there. That part of the country is more football oriented, but that hasn't stopped some similar schools from putting in resources.
Hell, won't we be paying Jacobson a little over 1 million towards the end of his current contract?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
hoopfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Doug Gottlieb is getting that job. They almost gave it to him last time until they found out Underwood was interested.

Its not a significant raise and its a terrible culture fit for Jake. I put the chances at less than 1% that Jake ends up there.
I know Gottlieb wants the job and nobody thinks higher of Doug Gottlieb than Doug Gottlieb, but what makes him qualified for this job? Sure, he's an alumni and son of a coach, but he's been stuck in a radio booth the last couple years and he wasn't good enough to be on any of CBS' studio or live game coverage of this year's tournament. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any coaching experience, but he had NBA ties and carried some actual clout when it came to talking with recruits. I'm not sure Gottlieb has that clout.

Is there something I'm missing here or are they just hoping a local "hero" will be able to come in and build a program?
hoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Codytwo

If he gets the job, I give Gottlieb 8 months before one of his tweets results in an NCAA rules infraction.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopfan View Post
I know Gottlieb wants the job and nobody thinks higher of Doug Gottlieb than Doug Gottlieb, but what makes him qualified for this job? Sure, he's an alumni and son of a coach, but he's been stuck in a radio booth the last couple years and he wasn't good enough to be on any of CBS' studio or live game coverage of this year's tournament. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any coaching experience, but he had NBA ties and carried some actual clout when it came to talking with recruits. I'm not sure Gottlieb has that clout.

Is there something I'm missing here or are they just hoping a local "hero" will be able to come in and build a program?
It's kind of a package deal. His brother Greg is a long time assistant and really well thought of as an Xs and Os guy. The plan is that Doug would be the face, recruiter and keeper of credit cards and that Greg would do a lot of the design.

They almost hired him last time but Underwood came late. I think it will fail spectacularly, but that's what they're going to do. It's not like the arena can get any emptier...
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
JD720

Gottlieb's Radio show is done as of April 14. Although if he were taking the OSU job, you would think he would leave immediately.

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
JD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post

Any of you fellas ever been to Stillwater, OK?

It's a strange setting. Like putting a Big 12 university in Newton but more rural.

I don't think Jake's moving the fam to Stillwater.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
achrist70

Side note here but anyone else get a laugh at the picture of Underwood and the Illinois AD holding up a piece of paper with the #WeWillWin first of all why not something like a basketball jersey or put him in an orange blazer or something. Secondly that has to be like the lamest hashtag ever. We Will Win its like were really trying here and we will win eventually but give it time.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
Secondly that has to be like the lamest hashtag ever. We Will Win its like were really trying here and we will win eventually but give it time.
I assume that they were going for something similar to "Trust the Process," but then realized that being creative is hard.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevelev711 View Post
I assume that they were going for something similar to "Trust the Process," but then realized that being creative is hard.
I believe that 'Paddle the Canoe' is available...
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Neighbor

Quote:
put him in an orange blazer or something.
He already has an orange sport coat. The tailor needs to remove the cowpoke and put on an indian bonnet.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
CyCarp

Quote:
Side note here but anyone else get a laugh at the picture of Underwood and the Illinois AD holding up a piece of paper with the #WeWillWin first of all why not something like a basketball jersey or put him in an orange blazer or something. Secondly that has to be like the lamest hashtag ever. We Will Win its like were really trying here and we will win eventually but give it time.
It's Illinois, they're getting to get lamer than the Cubs #WeAreGood annoyance for the past 2 years. IMO, it didn't work.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #19
UNIGrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
It's Illinois, they're getting to get lamer than the Cubs #WeAreGood annoyance for the past 2 years. IMO, it didn't work.
You don't think "We Are Good" worked? I mean, they won the World Series....

It came directly from Joe Maddon, not the marketing department. It was a simple way of trying to change the culture of losing. These young guys had finally come up, they had been absolutely terrible for 7 years and generally terrible for a century. Maddon was just trying to get the guys to believe that that was over. Trust me guys, I know what you are cabable of. We are good.

And they were good. They are. They won the World Series. So I'd say it worked.

Better than the "Cardinal Way", which doesn't actually mean anything.
UNIGrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIGrainer View Post
You don't think "We Are Good" worked? I mean, they won the World Series....

It came directly from Joe Maddon, not the marketing department. It was a simple way of trying to change the culture of losing. These young guys had finally come up, they had been absolutely terrible for 7 years and generally terrible for a century. Maddon was just trying to get the guys to believe that that was over. Trust me guys, I know what you are cabable of. We are good.

And they were good. They are. They won the World Series. So I'd say it worked.

Better than the "Cardinal Way", which doesn't actually mean anything.
IMO, a blind monkey could have walked into that clubhouse and won a WS. The winning actually started the August before Maddon even got there. That's all I'll say about that. Regardless, there's not much difference between "We Are Good" and "We Will Win". It's just hypocritical to say one is cool and the other is lame. I don't care who used the slogan, show me you can do it rather than talking about it. Maybe that's just me though.