WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Farley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Farley

Started it last year and again this year. We beat Iowa State who will
    Be lucky to win a game this season. Special teams are awful, offensive QB play has been horrid for how long? Don't see them beating NDSU, SDSU and Youngstown. Glad people here are happy with making 1st round after we "regroup"because I'm tired of seeing someone in our conference win 5 straight and wishing we were them

Re: Fire Farley

Originally posted by formerwalkon View Post
    Started it last year and again this year. We beat Iowa State who will
    Be lucky to win a game this season. Special teams are awful, offensive QB play has been horrid for how long? Don't see them beating NDSU, SDSU and Youngstown. Glad people here are happy with making 1st round after we "regroup"because I'm tired of seeing someone in our conference win 5 straight and wishing we were them
    Uni will never fire him. I am hoping for retirement.

Comment

I think we are stuck in the Groundhog's Day loop of being a Top 15 program that can't finish.

I think it is evident that Joe Davis came in because Dannen told Farley he needed to make a change. I had heard the rumor and Davis moving on once Dannen did makes it more believable. As long as Farley allows the offense to be incompetent then nothing will change.
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
        I think we are stuck in the Groundhog's Day loop of being a Top 15 program that can't finish.

I think it is evident that Joe Davis came in because Dannen told Farley he needed to make a change. I had heard the rumor and Davis moving on once Dannen did makes it more believable. As long as Farley allows the offense to be incompetent then nothing will change.
        It's blatantly obvious that Farley and Salmon are in charge of offensive scheme and playcalling and have been for the last how many years. The OC is nothing more than a position coach with an extra title. We've had multiple OC's yet nothing scheme related has changed. The only difference was under Davis we didn't huddle. Other than that we still stick to low % long developing pass plays and obvious runs. There's no element of surprise in our offense.

Also, I don't know what the deal with our DL is, but we need to get back to rotating bodies to keep guys fresh. We've been playing the same 4 guys pretty much every snap, with the exception of the occasional play where Schult came out injured tonight. They were clearly worn out in the second half, as we couldn't get a pass rush. Why did we move Scryzbak to OL and Gaeta to TE when we knew we were this thin at DL? Not having Reth right now is really hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gocats15 View Post
          It's blatantly obvious that Farley and Salmon are in charge of offensive scheme and playcalling and have been for the last how many years. The OC is nothing more than a position coach with an extra title. We've had multiple OC's yet nothing scheme related has changed. The only difference was under Davis we didn't huddle. Other than that we still stick to low % long developing pass plays and obvious runs. There's no element of surprise in our offense.

Also, I don't know what the deal with our DL is, but we need to get back to rotating bodies to keep guys fresh. We've been playing the same 4 guys pretty much every snap, with the exception of the occasional play where Schult came out injured tonight. They were clearly worn out in the second half, as we couldn't get a pass rush. Why did we move Scryzbak to OL and Gaeta to TE when we knew we were this thin at DL? Not having Reth right now is really hurting.
          Good call on the DL. I noticed that too last night. One they did do was to bring in Ricky Neal (#7) as an edge rusher on some downs. It will be interesting to see how he does once he gets more experience in the role.

Comment

My personal opinion is that he has a job here until he decides to retire. Or until some MAC team is gracious enough to take him off our hands...but the real culprit is salmon, he's the one running the show with our "dynamic" spread offense. But we all know how this will play out, 7-4 and my guess is mahaffey will be the fall guy, and a few other asst. coaches will leave as well. I have no idea on what it would take to buy out farleys contract, but I'm sure our department does not have the money to do so even if David Harris has the stones to want to pull the plug on this current regime. My assumption is that the status quo will remain, we will continue to try and tell ourselves that we are on the same level as NDSU, while Klieman and company laugh their ass off at us as they hoist a couple more championship trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
              Tennessee football, Iowa basketball, to a degree Nebraska football. All programs that were sucessful at a high level but could not get over the top. All fired their coaches and spent the next 15 years at a much lower level. Today their fan bases get excited when the program sniffs the level that they used to be at consistently.
              "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post
                Tennessee football, Iowa basketball, to a degree Nebraska football. All programs that were sucessful at a high level but could not get over the top. All fired their coaches and spent the next 15 years at a much lower level. Today their fan bases get excited when the program sniffs the level that they used to be at consistently.
                There's something to that. Just a matter of whether we want to be a perenial also-ran or feel like we want to try and take the leap.
                Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

If Farley can get away from this type of qb he should be able to get this program back from this type of play. We seem to always start the season bad and have to pull wins out of our butt to get into the playoffs. Before we went to this "dual threat" qb (not really since the last 3 couldn't throw to save there life) we have found mediocre success for what we expect at UNI. A change in the type of qb we have is what can get us to the next point. Spread the ball around with a guy who can actually get it to the WR's and then pound it with the great to good runners we've had over the last couple of years. Our D has been national championship caliber for way too long to screw it over with piss poor qb play.

Getting another decent kicker would also help...

Comment

Originally posted by Panburger Partner View Post
                    My personal opinion is that he has a job here until he decides to retire. Or until some MAC team is gracious enough to take him off our hands...but the real culprit is salmon, he's the one running the show with our "dynamic" spread offense. But we all know how this will play out, 7-4 and my guess is mahaffey will be the fall guy, and a few other asst. coaches will leave as well. I have no idea on what it would take to buy out farleys contract, but I'm sure our department does not have the money to do so even if David Harris has the stones to want to pull the plug on this current regime. My assumption is that the status quo will remain, we will continue to try and tell ourselves that we are on the same level as NDSU, while Klieman and company laugh their ass off at us as they hoist a couple more championship trophies.
                    Yeah, there is no way we have the cash to buy out the contract. He just got an extension in 2013 (after not making the playoffs) which goes until 2021 and seems fully guaranteed unless he goes to another school. Even them I'm not sure that's the answer, as Farley has been really good on the player development and recruiting side, it's just we've struggled with in game stuff like scheme, clock management, etc

Comment

Who is in charge of our special teams? I know it falls back on the head coach but our special teams have been horrible

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
                        Who is in charge of our special teams? I know it falls back on the head coach but our special teams have been horrible
                        I think each coach has their own unit that they are in charge of. If you watch the sideline during games, you'll see Coach Lynch with the kickoff team before every kick, and other coaches have their own ST unit.

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                          If Farley can get away from this type of qb he should be able to get this program back from this type of play. We seem to always start the season bad and have to pull wins out of our butt to get into the playoffs. Before we went to this "dual threat" qb (not really since the last 3 couldn't throw to save there life) we have found mediocre success for what we expect at UNI. A change in the type of qb we have is what can get us to the next point. Spread the ball around with a guy who can actually get it to the WR's and then pound it with the great to good runners we've had over the last couple of years. Our D has been national championship caliber for way too long to screw it over with piss poor qb play.

Getting another decent kicker would also help...
                          I feel it truly is as simple as that. I think a running QB will have to be completely unavailable, however, before it happens. Please, God, no more athlete-playing-QB transfers.
                          Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                          Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                          - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                            I feel it truly is as simple as that. I think a running QB will have to be completely unavailable, however, before it happens. Please, God, no more athlete-playing-QB transfers.
                            I don't thing changing QBs would be the difference. Look at the stats from the EWU game. Bailey had a 56.5% completion rate, which isn't good but not atrocious. There were a few drops and he was under a lot of pressure. However, he also provided over 100 extra rushing yards and 2 TD's while averaging over 5 yards a carry. Tyvis had 24 carries for 53 yards, which is an awful stat line. I can't say for sure, but usually this happens when our OL doesn't get a good push.

Better, less predictable playcalling and better line play are what needs to change for our offense to succeed

Comment

Guys, our offense has not been even kind of good for about 8 years, but the fact of the matter is that even with average special teams play we would unquestionably be 3-0 right now.

And thats 100% on coaching and execution.
                              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                              X