WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klieman to Minnesota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klieman to Minnesota?

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
    Some of those people may need a reality on how attractive the job really is.
    True, but think of the bargaining leverage you'd have if you were currently employed? Your agent could negotiate a pretty lengthy deal, higher than normal $, and a really hefty buyout if you couldn't fight the obvious headwinds they have up there. If they don't meet your demands, you professionally say eff you and walk.

Comment

Craig Bohl built the program and could only get a job at Wyoming, but you think the guy that took over after him is going to get a P5 job after only 3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post
        Obviously just speculation here but wouldn't surprise me to see Klieman take the Gopher job which just opened this afternoon. It's a logical fit and he recruited the hell outta the Twin Cities. A little closer to home, big time pay raise, better facilities, talent pool is there and the U of M is coming off a bowl win and has some momentum after a disastrous public relations debacle.
        Side not: Klieman went to high school with the U of M's AD...small world. I bet they're nervous up in Fargo this week...maybe enough to interrupt their bowling and ice fishing.
        Thoughts?
        About their fifth choice. Klieman would be a horrible hire

Comment

I think the U of M fan's are thinking a bigger name such as Les Miles, Bo Pelini, Fleck etc but Klieman has got to be on their radar.
          They have to act quickly too if they want to keep their committed players and retain the ones on the roster.
          NDSU isn't playing this week too which means they could be on the phone with him as we speak...
          Klieman makes sense.
          This would be outstanding news for UNI. Damage NDSU, possibly pick up a few transfers from Minnesota?? Jay Johnson as OC?? All speculation of course but it'll be interesting on how it shakes out
          He has been a head coach for two years and isn't having the same level of success as his predecessor. Hardly makes him an ideal candidate

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
            Have heard Fleck, Miles and Bohl bandied about among the radioheads most often up here.

My money is on Lane Kiffin - local guy who hasn't changed jobs in nearly a month and has gotta be getting anxious by now.
            Kiffin took the Florida Atlantic job
            Yeah, but that was so December 2016. It's already January 2017. Lane's gotta be thinking about his next step by now.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
              He has been a head coach for two years and isn't having the same level of success as his predecessor. Hardly makes him an ideal candidate
              True that Fleck, Miles and the candidate from Boise State might be better hires but I don't think that you can discount someone who knows the Twin Cities area (prime recruiting area for NDSU), has been successful and oh by the way, was a high school classmate at Waterloo Columbus of the Minnesota AD.

I also think that the new head coach up there needs to consider the issues that have gone in within that program.
              "Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

True that Fleck, Miles and the candidate from Boise State might be better hires but I don't think that you can discount someone who knows the Twin Cities area (prime recruiting area for NDSU), has been successful and oh by the way, was a high school classmate at Waterloo Columbus of the Minnesota AD.

I also think that the new head coach up there needs to consider the issues that have gone in within that program.
                Better candidates give you a greater chance for success, both financially and in wins/losses. That, and some program integrity are the only things that matter. A past high school relationship won't mean anything on the field, but it may help him in an interview. The AD has to know he'll put himself on the hot seat with a non name hire in this situation. Kleiman is a non name hire. I say hot seat because firing Claeys has obviously been wildly unpopular with donors, alumni and current/former players. The only people cheering this seem to be outside interest groups.
                Last edited by SteinPizza; 01-05-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                  Better candidates give you a greater chance for success, both financially and in wins/losses. That, and some program integrity are the only things that matter. A past high school relationship won't mean anything on the field, but it may help him in an interview. The AD has to know he'll put himself on the hot seat with a non name hire in this situation. Kleiman is a non name hire. I say hot seat because firing Claeys has obviously been wildly unpopular with donors, alumni and current/former players. The only people cheering this seem to be outside interest groups.
                  This morning on the way in, I listened to a story with interviews on MPR.

The AD said that he will move quickly and has been through this twice in the past (Syracuse and Boise State).

One of the comments that caught my ear (from a writer from a sports site) was that there is an urgency as signing day is close and he believes there will be an effort to get a coach that recruits know by name, not one they need to Google.

Also, one the Regents Chair said that season ticket sales are down by 6,200.
                  "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                    This morning on the way in, I listened to a story with interviews on MPR.

The AD said that he will move quickly and has been through this twice in the past (Syracuse and Boise State).

One of the comments that caught my ear (from a writer from a sports site) was that there is an urgency as signing day is close and he believes there will be an effort to get a coach that recruits know by name, not one they need to Google.

Also, one the Regents Chair said that season ticket sales are down by 6,200.
                    Good point on the timing of signing day. If some of your better recruits leave, and some of the current players transfer, then you're effectively gutting 2-3 recruiting classes. No program can win with that, I don't care of your coach is Kleiman or Urban Meyer. That's a worst case scenario, but possible given the circumstances here.

Comment

I predict that Minnesota will throw a ton of money at a big name, but washed up head coach. No reason to think that good candidates would actually consider the job. That program is a wreck and has been for too long for it to be fixed easily with this hire. They need to have a few years without major AD drama before it becomes an attractive job for a top candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                        I predict that Minnesota will throw a ton of money at a big name, but washed up head coach. No reason to think that good candidates would actually consider the job. That program is a wreck and has been for too long for it to be fixed easily with this hire. They need to have a few years without major AD drama before it becomes an attractive job for a top candidate.
                        Bingo...this is why I would be shocked for a "big name" coach to take that job. A truly "big time or hot" candidate...i.e. Fleck, Miles, Polini etc have the luxury of sitting back, staying at your current job or even taking a year off to wait for the right job. That's exactly what Urban Meyer did. Sat in the ESPN studio and pounced when the OSU job opened the following year. Miles turned down the Purdue job and there really aren't many other big jobs open at this point.
                        As much as the U of M wants a "big name" head coach, that doesn't mean those candidates are going to be interested either..... the same way that every high school kid with raging hormones wants to date the homecoming queen but she doesn't want to have anything to do with him LOL..at the end of the day, they usually end up with a girl with "great personality"

Personally I don't think the U of M job is that great of a destination considering the mess that the program is in. Sounds like the same group of players that organized the boycott are the same group talking about mass transfers...doesn't sound like a positive, winning culture

Prediction: They'll court the big names but end up with someone 5th, 6th or 10th on their list...could be...probably not, but could be Klieman

Comment

Bingo...this is why I would be shocked for a "big name" coach to take that job. A truly "big time or hot" candidate...i.e. Fleck, Miles, Polini etc have the luxury of sitting back, staying at your current job or even taking a year off to wait for the right job. That's exactly what Urban Meyer did. Sat in the ESPN studio and pounced when the OSU job opened the following year. Miles turned down the Purdue job and there really aren't many other big jobs open at this point.
                          As much as the U of M wants a "big name" head coach, that doesn't mean those candidates are going to be interested either..... the same way that every high school kid with raging hormones wants to date the homecoming queen but she doesn't want to have anything to do with him LOL..at the end of the day, they usually end up with a girl with "great personality"

Personally I don't think the U of M job is that great of a destination considering the mess that the program is in. Sounds like the same group of players that organized the boycott are the same group talking about mass transfers...doesn't sound like a positive, winning culture

Prediction: They'll court the big names but end up with someone 5th, 6th or 10th on their list...could be...probably not, but could be Klieman
                          It shouldn't be a surprise that the boycotts/transfers are all the same, since it seems the entire team felt like they got reamed over by the administration. The fact that this was investigated twice by the police, and no charges, should tell you something. I'm not absolving the boycotting players totally, but their side
                          in this has deserves some listening. One of their big donors, also an attorney, was quoted as saying he wanted to be part of a panel that guts the student due process policies at the school, since they're completely screwed up. He then went on to blast the AD, president, and BOR. In other words, professional adults are also complaining, not just a bunch of young punks.

Your point is correct that the culture there is messed up. My point is I'd look just as closely at idiot adminstrators as I would the players.

Comment

It shouldn't be a surprise that the boycotts/transfers are all the same, since it seems the entire team felt like they got reamed over by the administration. The fact that this was investigated twice by the police, and no charges, should tell you something. I'm not absolving the boycotting players totally, but their side
                            in this has deserves some listening. One of their big donors, also an attorney, was quoted as saying he wanted to be part of a panel that guts the student due process policies at the school, since they're completely screwed up. He then went on to blast the AD, president, and BOR. In other words, professional adults are also complaining, not just a bunch of young punks.

Your point is correct that the culture there is messed up. My point is I'd look just as closely at idiot adminstrators as I would the players.
                            Indeed..Very true...now the question isn't so much on who would take the job as much as who would want the job

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                              Link below....

Minnesota's initial preference to be Claeys' successor is Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, although a source close to Fleck told ESPN there has not been any contact between the school and the coach. Other candidates immediately expected to be considered for the opening include former LSU and Oklahoma State coach Les Miles and Boise State's Bryan Harsin, who was hired by Coyle when he worked there. Minnesota is also expected to target Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead and North Dakota State coach Chris Klieman, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Odd that there is no mention of Bohl which makes me wonder if it's shoddy reporting on Bohl being a candidate or Klieman being a candidate. Gotta admit though... The Gophers paid 5 million to buy out their contracts. Bohl just got a huge contract with a 5 million dollar buy out so they are down 10 million before even offering. And Bohl got a huge raise so they would need to pony up the dough.

Klieman would be nuts to turn down the type of money Kill got. 600k to 2 million is huge. Would certainly be the less expensive option.

Comment

Indeed. This program has been a mess for a long time. The latest manifestations aren't the big problem. However, they probably became issues because of the mess in the administration. Too bad there is so much money to throw around for such a horrible program.

Comment

Working...
                                X