WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Up Next: Bradley

Originally posted by Pantherlope2019 View Post
    I would argue that Eldon's 1989-1990 team was better than all of Greg McDermot's (Northern Iowa) teams and is on par with Jake's 2014-15 team. Miller's 89-90 team had a solid 10 man rotation of Steve Phyfe, Jason Reese, Cedric McCulla, Troy Mullenberg, Dale Turner, Brad Hill, Marice Newby, Cam Johnson, Nick Pace, and Johnathon Cox. The 1989-90 team lost by 3 in the round of 32 to a Minnesota team that lost to Georgia Tech by 3 in the Elite 8 game. Eldon's team (89-90), was a tough man to man defensive team that could rebound and defend the perimeter. That team was sound in every other phase of the game as well. The Miller team that was left out of St. Louis was in 1993-94. I think they managed 9 wins for the season though. I would take Eldon over Jake if you combine his entire tenure of Wittenburg College, W. Michigan, Ohio State, and Northern Iowa. Eldon went 5-6 in the NCAA tournament (6 appearances). Eldon made the round of sixteen twice in 1980 and 1983. Greg has made the round of sixteen twice with Creighton and I would consider him on par with Eldon. I understand that Eldon continues to be an assistant at D2 UNC Pembroke with his son.
    That team finished 3rd in the AMCU but hosted the conference tourney and rode three unbelievable games to the NCAA. The 1995 Eldon Miller Panthers finished tied for 9th (8-20, 4-14) and did not make the MVC Tournament, his last team finished in 9th at 4-14 in conference, 10-17 overall. Sam Weaver's three teams were T-8th, 7th and 10th. McDermott's first two teams were 7th place and we have been t-5th or better ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
      That team finished 3rd in the AMCU but hosted the conference tourney and rode three unbelievable games to the NCAA. The 1995 Eldon Miller Panthers finished tied for 9th (8-20, 4-14) and did not make the MVC Tournament, his last team finished in 9th at 4-14 in conference, 10-17 overall. Sam Weaver's three teams were T-8th, 7th and 10th. McDermott's first two teams were 7th place and we have been t-5th or better ever since.
      I thought Sam Weaver coached 2 seasons, 1999-2001, but both teams struggled miserably?

Comment

I looked it up. Weaver coached UNI 3 seasons 1998-2001 with a record of 30-57. He was an assistant at Mississippi State under coach Stansbury. Not sure where he is now.
        Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-16-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I Googled Sam's name and found that he is currently in his second year of coaching at Philander Smith College, an NAIA school at Little Rock, Arkansas.

Comment

So Evansville was beating Wichita by 3 and I went to Shockernet to see how they were handling it.

It was a mistake. Man that is an annoying group of humans. Half the thread is crapping on Evansville and the MVC. My goodness get over yourselves.

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

Yup, its the league's fault that you're losing to Evansville.

Just had to rant a little.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
              So Evansville was beating Wichita by 3 and I went to Shockernet to see how they were handling it.

It was a mistake. Man that is an annoying group of humans. Half the thread is crapping on Evansville and the MVC. My goodness get over yourselves.

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

One of the biggest bunch of crybabies in sports.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

"We need to move conferences, it's definitely the conference's fault that we choke in the auto-bid tourney. We move to a more competitive conference, and we lose more games, that'll put us in a better spot."

They sure are a whiny bunch for a team that consistently makes the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                  "We need to move conferences, it's definitely the conference's fault that we choke in the auto-bid tourney. We move to a more competitive conference, and we lose more games, that'll put us in a better spot."

They sure are a whiny bunch for a team that consistently makes the tournament.
                  And they end up winning by 17.

Probably still whining.

Comment

The funny thing is, Wichita has been in the last five NCAA Tournaments. They've been a #1 seed once. They've been to the Final Four. They've gotten four at-large bids in five years.

What exactly is the league costing them?

Comment

The funny thing is, Wichita has been in the last five NCAA Tournaments. They've been a #1 seed once. They've been to the Final Four. They've gotten four at-large bids in five years.

What exactly is the league costing them?
                      Well OBVIOUSLY they should've been the number one seed every year! They're the only team to ever been seeded incorrectly in the history of the tournament. INJUSTICE!

Comment

Working...
                      X