WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swim/Dive Head Coach Doug Humphrey going to SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swim/Dive Head Coach Doug Humphrey going to SDSU

"University of Northern Iowa swimming and diving coach Doug Humphrey will take over as the new head swimming and diving coach at South Dakota State University."

Didn't see this one coming. Coach Humphrey has been great for the Women's Swimming and Diving program. And his excellent recruiting is going to be hard to replace.

University of Northern Iowa swimming and diving coach Doug Humphrey will take over as the new head swimming and diving coach at South Dakota State University.

Re: Swim/Dive Head Coach Doug Humphrey going to SDSU

"Accepting this position allows me to take another step in my coaching career, gets both my wife and me closer to our families and, most importantly, provides an opportunity to build on a number of good things already in place," said Humphrey, a Nebraska native. "I know I have big shoes to fill, but I look forward to taking both the men's and women's teams to new heights."

Looks like leading both men's and women's teams was important to him.

Comment

Was money an issue?

Comment

UNI: stepping stone to the Dakotas

Comment

I have no actual info on why he is making the move, but based on his comments posted above, I think there may be something about a school with a men's and women's team that makes it a better position. He came to Cedar Falls from a Nebraska program that had both.
          Regardless, we are really feeling a deep sense of loss.

Comment

I wonder what will happen with recruitment. Doug was a great recruiter. I worry that out-of-state recruits might follow him. Good for them. Bad for us.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
              Was money an issue?
              If it was, where do you get the extra money from? The big donors are tied up with football, wrestling and basketball coaches. And if UNI ever makes the jump to the MAC or a G5 conference, expect those salaries to go up to reflect the comparables in the new conference. Can our current donors be expected to increase what they give to afford the higher salaries?

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                If it was, where do you get the extra money from? The big donors are tied up with football, wrestling and basketball coaches. And if UNI ever makes the jump to the MAC or a G5 conference, expect those salaries to go up to reflect the comparables in the new conference. Can our current donors be expected to increase what they give to afford the higher salaries?
                Football is the only one that would need a small adjustment. Jake would be the highest paid coach in the MAC, Schwab is second only to the guy at Missouri, Tanya would be Top 3 and Bobbi would be the highest paid.

Farley is currently at ~$390k, would only need to get that job to ~$550k to be right in line with the rest of the league. Would not be the lowest paid at this point.
                #MACtion

Comment

UNI posted the position on their job board Wednesday. Guess the lowest our new coach could be paid is $48,000.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                    UNI posted the position on their job board Wednesday. Guess the lowest our new coach could be paid is $48,000.

I wonder how much more they could make with camps and clubs.

Comment

Humphrey's 2016 total salary was $54,898.36.

Comment

Working...
                      X