WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2014 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2014 Panther Basketball Recruit List

UNI is out watching Carter Kirk and Tyler Weiss today per Ryan James twitter. No other really big schools were mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
      UNI is out watching Carter Kirk and Tyler Weiss today per Ryan James twitter. No other really big schools were mentioned
      Not asking out of defensiveness (since I really don't care about the D1 schools in my general vicinity of South Dakota), more asking out of curiosity: Do UNI fans not consider schools like NDSU/SDSU to be on similar footing?

The tweet I saw from Ryan James said:

NDSU head man Saul Phillips joins SDSU, N Iowa, SCSU, Augustana, SW St, and others watching Carter Kirk, Tyler Weiss, etc this morning.
      Obviously you guys wouldn't consider Augie, St. Cloud State, or Southwest Minnesota State to be big schools since they're D2, but I feel like SDSU and NDSU can't be that far below UNI, are they?

Again, not asking with the intent of starting some insult battle since I have no positive feelings whatsoever toward NDSU or SDSU, I'm more just asking to hear your perspective on it.

Comment

We like to ruffle the feathers of LakesBison (ndsu fan) who thinks they would compete in the MVC. No disrespect meant to anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
          We like to ruffle the feathers of LakesBison (ndsu fan) who thinks they would compete in the MVC. No disrespect meant to anyone else
          Hahaha. Gotcha. Just figured I'd ask. Please carry on.

Comment

NDSU and SDSU are both below UNI as programs, and play in a conference that isn't anywhere near the same caliber as the MVC. That's not meant negatively, just reality. All other things being equal, we should never lose a recruiting battle with either if it's a player we really want.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
              NDSU and SDSU are both below UNI as programs, and play in a conference that isn't anywhere near the same caliber as the MVC. That's not meant negatively, just reality. All other things being equal, we should never lose a recruiting battle with either if it's a player we really want.
              Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                Fair enough.
                FWIW, I mean that in the here and now. We have a good program, with a good coach, in a competitive conference. However, we don't have enough tradition to sit back and assume we'll automatically be better than schools like the Dakotas. I can't ever see either Dakota school surpassing us for any length of time due to lack of local talent, inferior conference, bad geography, etc. That said, we don't have enough talent available either to take the foot off the gas, so to speak. That's true whether you're comparing us to the Dakota schools or anyone else.

Comment

FWIW, I mean that in the here and now. We have a good program, with a good coach, in a competitive conference. However, we don't have enough tradition to sit back and assume we'll automatically be better than schools like the Dakotas. I can't ever see either Dakota school surpassing us for any length of time due to lack of local talent, inferior conference, bad geography, etc. That said, we don't have enough talent available either to take the foot off the gas, so to speak. That's true whether you're comparing us to the Dakota schools or anyone else.
                  And to compete in a league like the Valley, we can't ever take our foot off the gas..too easy to slide into mediocrity if you're satisfied with what you have
                  Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                  Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                  - George Halas

Comment

That makes sense. I haven't paid close enough attention to the MVC (other than knowing Creighton is a consistent powerhouse), so I wouldn't really be able to argue with you even if I wanted to. But I don't really want to argue with you. I don't think either SDSU or NDSU is as good as their fans tend to think they are. Especially now that Wolters is done at SDSU. Of course, people (specifically NDSU and SDSU fans) would probably say that I think my D2 alma mater is better than it actually is too, so I probably shouldn't be one to talk.

Either way, I appreciate the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      That makes sense. I haven't paid close enough attention to the MVC (other than knowing Creighton is a consistent powerhouse), so I wouldn't really be able to argue with you even if I wanted to. But I don't really want to argue with you. I don't think either SDSU or NDSU is as good as their fans tend to think they are. Especially now that Wolters is done at SDSU. Of course, people (specifically NDSU and SDSU fans) would probably say that I think my D2 alma mater is better than it actually is too, so I probably shouldn't be one to talk.

Either way, I appreciate the clarification.
                      creighton is nowhere near the program they should have been yet they are unbelievably fortunate to be where they are. i have no idea if it was incredible luck or just fantastic foresight but its is crazy how its played out.

i am proud to say that its all UNI's fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                        creighton is nowhere near the program they should have been yet they are unbelievably fortunate to be where they are. i have no idea if it was incredible luck or just fantastic foresight but its is crazy how its played out.

I think the president of Creighton had a lot of friends in right places. Good work on his part.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post

CU has been a damn good mid major program for a long while, as has Wichita State. This didn't happen overnight, just because CU signed Doug. To think that is absurdly short-sighted. CU has been consistently good going back to the early 80s, when Kevin McKenna was their version of Doug. McKenna also had a nice 7 or 8 year career in the NBA, and I'm pretty sure he played on the Magic Johnson / Kareem Lakers teams that won all those titles. They also had other good teams under Dana Altman. For those who think this is all a recent, Doug phenomena, then how in the hell did Altman attract all that job attention for years before he moved up??? Oh, by the way, by virtue of being good enough to play in the league for as long as he did, Kevin McKenna could school anyone we have in the MVC today. If you're wondering, this Kevin McKenna is also the same guy who coached at Indiana St. a few years ago.

CU and WSU are/were the elite programs in the MVC, by virtue of being consistently good over 10s of seasons. Because they have pedigree and resources behind them, either is a good candidate for a step up in conference. Those who think that CU is a Doug creation can go back revisionist history; arguing that Obama was born overseas, 9/11 was a government plot, etc. This isn't directed at you 9YR, but all the "Doug made CU" BS that's been posted in the last several months.

Comment

I agree with your post Stien but you also have to admit that Doug put them over the top having a " superstar" player got Creighton recognized nationally something that wasn't happening before. Yes Creighton had been consistently good but not special I mean Creighton has never been to a sweet 16.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                              I agree with your post Stien but you also have to admit that Doug put them over the top having a " superstar" player got Creighton recognized nationally something that wasn't happening before. Yes Creighton had been consistently good but not special I mean Creighton has never been to a sweet 16.
                              It helps, but getting invited to the BE doesn't happen based on one guy who's been around for a couple of seasons. It happens based on a body of work, and CU has that, going back a long way. Combine body or work (or pedigree as I called it above), with resources, and it's a justifiable move. They, along with WSU, are also the only MVC programs worthy of something like this. Sorry Kool Aid drinkers if that upsets you, but it's the truth.

All of that said, they enter the BE at the bottom of the food chain. DePaul hasn't had much recent success, but has the potential to run laps as a program around CU. Recruits, money, demographics of the market, attention paid by the sporting "powers that be", recent NBA players...you name it. If SLU is added at some point, CU will move up one spot.

Comment

I'd bet that basketball was not why Creighton was brought in, but more their athletics as a whole and their reputation as an institution (a Catholic one at that). If basketball is the only reason they were brought aboard then there are going to be some very disappointed people in the BE

Comment

Working...
                                X