WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

AUSTIN PHYFE - 2017 - PF - IOWA BARNSTORMERS
    6-9 - WAVERLY-SHELL ROCK SENIOR H.S. - WAVERLY, IA
    Phyfe had a really strong overall game for the Barnstormers Saturday, affecting the game at both ends of the floor. Phyfe was really tough inside and finished around the hoop, often taking contact and going through it, including getting to the line 7 times where he hit 6. His work on the glass was solid as well pulling down a number of rebounds while completing the game with 16 points on offense.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Offered a Chicago kid today...

2017 Conant (IL) G Jimmy Sotos has received an offer from Northern Iowa. (HT @scottybscout) @sotosshow11 https://t.co/OQspilPrUK
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

This kid can pass the ball. Saw he just visited us.

Comment

Judging by this, he has a boatload of offers:

So does this mean the ship is sailing on AJ Green? No way he would come here with McCloud and Sotos both on the roster ahead of him, right?
          Last edited by ceaser150; 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Delete....

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
              We just offered Sasha Stefanovic a shooting guard from the Chicago Area. He has been getting a lot of offers lately.
              Sasha has UNI in his final 5.
              St.Joes, UNI, Evansville, Loyola, Valpo
              6'4" SG from Indiana side of Chicago.
              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Wow
                Highlights of 2017 guard Sasha Stefanovic of EG10 at the Circle City Hoop Fest. http://butlerhoops.com

Comment

You suppose Marty's pitch to Sasha down at Evansville was that he would become the next go-to guy in the system there? I would imagine averaging 20-25 points per game sounds tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
                    You suppose Marty's pitch to Sasha down at Evansville was that he would become the next go-to guy in the system there? I would imagine averaging 20-25 points per game sounds tempting.
                    And if you're Jacobson your pitch is being a part of a program that actually makes the NCAA's.

Comment

Sasha seems like he would be a great get for the final scholarship of 2017. Perfect fit at his size, great shooter.

I agree, the playing time might be the only factor that we can't compete with the competition on with this spot.

Comment

Gotta really come down to us and St Joe's right?

Interesting as Jake and Phil Martelli couldn't be any more different.
                        #MACtion

Comment

I'd say we're clearly the best program, followed by St. Joes and Valpo. Loyola and Evansville are about the least appealing programs in the Valley. Although, didn't Sasha's dad play for Illinois State, maybe there is some connection to Porter?

Comment

Whoever comes in (unless they are a top 150 type recruit), will need to understand that there won't be much playing time available his freshman year (and this probably goes for Phyfe too). There will be:
                            PG- McCloud/Hunter
                            SG- Lohaus/Haldeman
                            WG- Brown/T.Lohaus
                            PF- Carlson/McDonnell
                            C-Koch/Friedman/Dahl
                            And that doesn't include walk ons Conrey (SF/PF) and De Souza (PG/CG?) who should be contributing in some fashion.

Sasha appears to be a great recruit but I'm honestly cool with Jake holding the scholarship if things don't work out for Sasha, and seeing what might be available on the transfer wire in Spring, as a redshirt would free up the logjam of playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                              Whoever comes in (unless they are a top 150 type recruit), will need to understand that there won't be much playing time available his freshman year (and this probably goes for Phyfe too). There will be:
                              PG- McCloud/Hunter
                              SG- Lohaus/Haldeman
                              WG- Brown/T.Lohaus
                              PF- Carlson/McDonnell
                              C-Koch/Friedman/Dahl
                              And that doesn't include walk ons Conrey (SF/PF) and De Souza (PG/CG?) who should be contributing in some fashion.

Sasha appears to be a great recruit but I'm honestly cool with Jake holding the scholarship if things don't work out for Sasha, and seeing what might be available on the transfer wire in Spring, as a redshirt would free up the logjam of playing time.
                              I would guess there's a decent chance whoever comes in will red shirt, unless it's somebody who just can't be sat all year. I wonder how worried the coaching staff is with so many scholarships open in 2020. Assuming no red shirt years due to injury, we're looking at almost half the schollys being open that year. Obviously if we bank one in the next couple years or in 2020, that would shift a bit.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by MernerAve View Post
                                Meh. I hope this clip doesn't do him justice.

He doesn't look all that quick, (maybe even slow feet on D) not much explosiveness off the dribble and doesn't appear to have major hops (doesn't look like he can dunk with ease). Even his shooting release looks a little low.

I'm sure I'm being hard on him, (he does have great shooting form and body control, also looks like he can find the open man and the crease in the lane) but our other recruits looked special on video. I can't say the same based off this footage. For a 6'4'' wing, I'd be hoping for more length and athleticism, but I guess he can stretch the defense and knock down shots.

Interesting, though, that he chose to eliminate Xavier from his list of suitors. I'm sure he's better than my evaluation

Comment

Working...
                                X