WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
    That's fine, but the fact is that uni wants to formula changed because it favors them RIGHT NOW. will it always?

I just don't want to see a SUI-CF setup in the future, and I sure as hell know that you guys don't either.
    No I don't, that is correct. I was just saying that UNI getting more out of state students would help rectify much of their money / budget situation all by itself. They don't need a subsidy for those students to cover any shortfalls already, so it would only make it better to increase out of state percentages. But I also don't see them somehow suddenly asking for a disproportionate share of money from Iowa or ISU if they changed their out of state ratio to 90% tomorrow, either.
    I just think Iowa taxes should support Iowa students. Not some student who is already paying their full boat (out of state tuition). If we want to start subsidizing out of state students then the schools need to charge equal tuition rates for in or out of state students. Not advocating that at all, by the way.

Comment

Re: WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

fair enough. There are just so many moving parts to this equation. From the reallocation of tuition to needy students without disclosing it to taxpayer money going toward kids attending private school. There just isn't a simple answer because it's all part of a huge social experiment that shapes what we want higher education to look like in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
        Fwiw, I've talked to Dave about this extensively and I do mostly agree with him. However I think there is a legitimate argument for the other side. I mean uni is trying to recruit out of state students, we just haven't been successful. So it's a little disingenuous to say that uni is somehow earning this by serving more Iowa kids when in fact we are trying to reduce that number.
        Turn it over to the football staff--36% of our current roster is out of state.

Comment

Working...
        X