WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ungreatful Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ungreatful Panthers

it just seems like an odd complaint, and he said "namely iowa" so obviously he had a target.

as a UNI grad who has also spent 20+ years in the cedar valley, i am completely fine with people who simply went to UNI for college and thats it.

i cant name one person i my life that went to UNI but gives large amounts of money to only iowa. the only example is those people that need to pay PSL's for iowa games and we are talking about a couple hundred bucks in that case. many people do both and i am completely cool with that. perhaps in the coming generations we will see more people that grew up with UNI as a more well known commodity with bigger name alums, major sports, and its own identity as part of everyday life and there wont be the "dual fandom" that exists now. if anything this board is a good example of that conversion already taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
      agree w/ Jeg. There is a reason why newsnerd, 9yr & th1974 runs their fat mouths on this board every single time UNI is propped up & UNI is knocked down. Their loyalty is down the interstate. That is also where their internet loyalties should be. Whoever is running this website should have tossed them out yrs ago. They would have been gone from any other website long ago.
      Still here, mudra?
      UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Here are my opinions on this matter, which are based on my observations at UNI over the years. Hope this makes sense to anyone who tries to read it..I'm better at saying it verbally to people.

I hear Hawk fan students using the "I chose UNI for academic reasons," and I'm not saying that it isn't true in some cases, but in how many majors is UNI really a clearly better place to go than UI? Education, probably; buisness, maybe. I still think you can get a solid education at UI in both those majors, so is is that really the reason Hawk fans choose UNI? I just don't think that is enough. Along with that explanation, I hear the "the campus is smaller" one, and I just don't buy that one either. So you have to walk a few more minutes to class, is that really enough for these loyal hawk fans (ones who are still willing to root for an in-state rival over the school that they are attending) to choose UNI? I just don't think it is.

I think for most of them (not all), they ultimately ended up at UNI because certain things kept them from doing what they really wanted to do, which is attend the University of Iowa. I think the two main ones are cost and location. I know this is at least sometimes true because I am speaking from experience. I was raised a hawk fan and I would have liked nothing better than going to UI, but after tuition and other expenses, I just wasn't going to be able to go to UI, and didn't really have a reliable enough car to get down to IC (I'm from north Iowa). I know I'm not unique in this situation, 2 of my 3 roommates were basically in the same boat. From talking to people at UNI, I believe this is a common scenario.

When I got on campus, I fell in love with the place and the Panthers, and by the end of my first semester my hawk fanhood was all but gone. By the end of my second, I had began to dislike the college and fanbase. I wish I had been a fan of the purple sooner, but in the situation I was raised, there was no way that would have ever happened. (sidenote: I think its very different now. I see a lot more young panther fans around town growing up in hawkeye families. See: Ali Farokhmanesh)

In my opinion, many or most of the Hawk fans on UNI's campus who remain so loyal to the UofI (I'm thinking in particular of all those UNI students I saw in Kinnick in '09 wearing black & gold)are basically admitting that they are not at the school that they really wanted to go to. I'm not saying they don't have a great time here and they don't like and root for the Panthers, especially during basketball season. They meet friends here and have a fantastic time, after all, they are at their 2nd college of choice (out of like 5 billion colleges in America).

But I think most of them are at UNI because factors mostly beyond their control kept them from doing what they really wanted to do. By staying so loyal (especially in head-to-head matchups), they are basically admitting that they are not where they really wanted to be.

Those are my thoughts on this. Disagree if you wish, come talk to me in person if I wasn't able to get my thoughts through non-verbally. In summary, I don't really buy the whole "academics" explanation for why hawk fans are at UNI.
        Top ten UNI football plays from 2001-2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hail Our Panthers View Post
          Along with that explanation, I hear the "the campus is smaller" one, and I just don't buy that one either. So you have to walk a few more minutes to class, is that really enough for these loyal hawk fans (ones who are still willing to root for an in-state rival over the school that they are attending) to choose UNI? I just don't think it is.
          You're wrong about most of your post, but probably most wrong about this point. Being on campus at UNI is a vastly different experience than it is at UI. UNI is a lot 'more pleasant' and 'friendlier' than Iowa, and I think that makes a big difference with a lot of small-town Iowa kids (who make up a big part of UNI's enrollment).

Comment

UNI is like 97% in-state students. many people who choose UNI over iowa are looking for a smaller town experience like they grew up with.

having spent CONSIDERABLE time on campus at both schools, i can tell you that the "college experience" at the two schools might as well be on two different planets.

Comment

I agree 100%!!! Great post.

The only thing I would change is you said that UNI education program is probably better, when you should have said that it is far better. I know someone who went to the UI education program and he said that is was not a good program at all.

Comment

I know someone who went to the UI education program and said that it was really great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                  Whoever is running this website should have tossed them out yrs ago. They would have been gone from any other website long ago.
                  Fail. There is an ISU fan who is a moderator on HALO.
                  Originally posted by TH1974
                  This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Fail. There is an ISU fan who is a moderator on HALO.
                    Oddly enough, I'm a Hawkeye fan who's banned from HALO.

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                      Oddly enough, I'm a Hawkeye fan who's banned from HALO.
                      +1. Even Iowa fans can't stand you. Maybe its about time PN does the same?
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Good to see you, mudra.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                          so you would have gone to UNI had iowa offered a full ride for football? cool.
                          I'll bite, first off, when I was a senior in high school if Bobby Elliot (U of I) would have pulled the trigger on a scholly instead of asking me to be one of the 5-10 token in state preferred walk ons I would have taken it. Even if UNI would have offered. Of course that being said I wouldn't have gone through school at Iowa and then donated money to UNI after their sweet 16 basketball run.

The uniqueness of this situation that you might not know 9 is that after two years of Junior College my only opportunities at scholarship football was either at Northwest Missouri State or UNO. I was asked to walk on at Iowa and Iowa State, and Mr. Dunbar had no desire to even sit in a room with me. I chose to attend UNI, and not chase the dream, which was 100% academic, it wasn't until after a year of school that I was contacted by current players and coach Farley. To me, I did choose a school, then chose football. That is why I am sensitive when people begin to question the motives of those who ask questions about "would have have done..?"
                          Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                            so you would have gone to UNI had iowa offered a full ride for football? cool.
                            I think he was talking about just average Joe Student. You pick your college. You realize that former students gave to the college to enhance your experience there. When your situation allows you to, you give back to YOUR college. You MAY also give to your college athletic program.

I see your point now, but I was also scratching my head for a moment. At first, your response appeared to come from left field.

Comment

Let me help here...

People who graduate from a school and instead donate their money to a different school that they did not attend are fundamentally confused, lack confidence & pride, and have deep seeded self-esteem issues.

You do not want to be in a fox-hole, a marriage or in a business deal with anyone who meets the description above.

There is no other explanation.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                                Let me help here...

People who graduate from a school and instead donate their money to a different school that they did not attend are fundamentally confused, lack confidence & pride, and have deep seeded self-esteem issues.

You do not want to be in a fox-hole, a marriage or in a business deal with anyone who meets the description above.

There is no other explanation.
                                Nailed it.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X