WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beers Sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beers Sales?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ents/87148620/

Imagine my shock when I open up the Sunday paper to find out we made the front page of the DMR. It's been discussed here multiple times but it looks like Harris is looking at beer sales for an aditional revenue stream. I don't think it will make us too much revenue, but I'm not opposed; especially if helps bring more people out or helps them stick around a little longer.

Concourse is already a cluster. I can't imagine what it would look like if they started selling beer.

Hopefully they offer some nice craft beers and not just domestics. I believe this was the case on the Panther Patio.

Re: Beers Sales?

The dome needs renovated before we can do it for football games

Comment

Couldn't you just tap a couple kegs on the walkways on the north and south side of the dome. There's tons of room on the north side.

I wouldn't try to sell it out of the normal concession locations.

Put up a table with one person checking IDs and handing out wrist bands, another taking the $$ and a third filling the cups.

Is this really that hard?
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

This appears to be the definition of a trial balloon. I wouldn't be surprised if they try this before the new president is hired.

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Comment

I'd like to see them test this out at a game this year.

I'd say Missouri State but that's Family Weekend so probably not the best time to "break the seal" on beer sales.

Maybe the South Dakota State game on Nov 19th.

Try it on a limited basis and see how it goes. See how the logistics work out. What kind of demand there is.

That will give you an ability to gauge if you can manage the logistics of the sales process, manage excess consumption, potential revenue and fan reaction. But you've done it as a pilot so you haven't committed to anything good or bad.

Would be a great promotional opportunity for a local brewer like Single Speed or one of the other dozens of brewers in Iowa to highlight their brand. Or ask one of the local Bud or Miller distributors to do a promotion and cut you a deal.

Comment

What do folks think the revenue opportunity is here?

I'd model out some rough numbers as...

13,000 average home attendance
            x 33% of attendees buy beer
            x 2 beers a piece on average
            x $6 per beer
            x 5 home games
            x 70% profit margin
            = $180,000

That's just a SWAG at some numbers. But paints the picture on magnitude. We're probably talking $100 - $200k per year.

The other big question is what does it do for overall attendance. Does it increase? Some would suggest it could decrease as it could deter families...but I think that's unlikely.

Comment

In June I heard David Harris address this question. He was very clear that he is not big on the idea and sees more negatives than positives with alcohol sales. That said, if the financial picture gets worse, it might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                What do folks think the revenue opportunity is here?

I'd model out some rough numbers as...

13,000 average home attendance
                x 33% of attendees buy beer
                x 2 beers a piece on average
                x $6 per beer
                x 5 home games
                x 70% profit margin
                = $180,000

That's just a SWAG at some numbers. But paints the picture on magnitude. We're probably talking $100 - $200k per year.

The other big question is what does it do for overall attendance. Does it increase? Some would suggest it could decrease as it could deter families...but I think that's unlikely.
                West Virginia reported revenue of $500k from alcohol sales, I think $100k-200k would be a good estimate for UNI. As far as families, I wonder if UNI would make some sections "family sections" that are alcohol free. I know many pro sports team do this.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I wonder if this article isn't a diversion away from the bigger issues in the financial reports presented to the regents this week. It seemed like a big article based on only a little emphasis from the AD. At any rate, it shows that we are taking steps to take care of ourselves.

Or maybe this is tipsy-turvy day. The DM Reg Sports page features UNI. The Ames Tribune Sports page features a headline about Iowa passing $100m in its athletic budget.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                    I wonder if this article isn't a diversion away from the bigger issues in the financial reports presented to the regents this week. It seemed like a big article based on only a little emphasis from the AD. At any rate, it shows that we are taking steps to take care of ourselves.

Or maybe this is tipsy-turvy day. The DM Reg Sports page features UNI. The Ames Tribune Sports page features a headline about Iowa passing $100m in its athletic budget.
                    Don't understand where you're headed with paragraph 1.

The DsM Register would never hesitate to pile on UNI about athletic funding. They certainly wouldn't create a distraction on the purple's behalf.

Comment

Surprised the beer sales article hasn't gotten much more support on PantherNation. Must be the off-season.

Comment

Off-season yes, but also because David Harris has made it pretty clear this isn't happening anytime soon. He's going to be pushing for much more financial investment in the athletic program by Panthers fans before turning to beer sales.

Comment

I think it's dumb this is even considered a big deal. Should be implemented right away IMO.
                          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                            Off-season yes, but also because David Harris has made it pretty clear this isn't happening anytime soon. He's going to be pushing for much more financial investment in the athletic program by Panthers fans before turning to beer sales.

Do you think Harris "gave" the idea to the DM Register writer in an attempt to see how it would go over with the fans? Or is this just a writer running off with the story?

Comment

Definitely a trial balloon to test for blowback. Farley is quoted all over that article. He's the designated "bad cop" in this discussion.

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Comment

Working...
                              X