WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker, the man of many zeros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Baker, the man of many zeros

I was listening to Boomer & Carton on WFAN in NYC on my way to work this morning and they were talking about how Ron Baker started for the Knicks last night.

He played 11 minutes, took no shots or free throws, had no assists or steals, and had one defensive rebound.

Box score for the New York Knicks vs. Boston Celtics NBA game from January 18, 2017 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

I do have to say that I'm sure that Baker is much happier taking no shots as a Knick last night when compared to the one shot that Cleanthony Early took as a Knick on the night of 12/30/2015:

New York Knicks forward Cleanthony Early was robbed and shot in the leg outside a Queens strip club early Wednesday morning.

Re: Ron Baker, the man of many zeros

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
    I was listening to Boomer & Carton on WFAN in NYC on my way to work this morning and they were talking about how Ron Baker started for the Knicks last night.

He played 11 minutes, took no shots or free throws, had no assists or steals, and had one defensive rebound.

Box score for the New York Knicks vs. Boston Celtics NBA game from January 18, 2017 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

I do have to say that I'm sure that Baker is much happier taking no shots as a Knick last night when compared to the one shot that Cleanthony Early took as a Knick on the night of 12/30/2015:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...nee-strip-club
    Pretty sure he's been with the Knicks all year, and does play well enough to get minutes off the bench. That's more than George Niang, Nader, etc, can say. Making an NBA team from a mid major is not exactly common, so for him to have that talent level is ultimately good for the conference.

Comment

He was on the opening day roster, and has started multiple games for them. Pretty sure he's just fine.

His zero shots taken is equal to the number of total shots taken by every single UNI player ever in the pros.

Comment

Wow. You're going to have a hard time getting me to crap on Baker. I loved to hate him at WSU because I knew what he was capable of. But I'm rooting for this dude, big time. I watched his previous game on Monday where he fueled an undermanned Knicks' comeback - that fell just short - and he finished with 12 points.

Three questions I would've considered before a post like this:
        - How many rookies will start games this season?
        - How many rookies outside of P5 schools will start games this season?
        - How many shots can Baker take before 'Melo whines that he 'isn't getting his' (with Rose next in line)?

#RB4EVA

Comment

Always liked him. He carried himself like nothing bothered him, almost no emotion but he was a serious baller.

Hope he has a nice long run.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
            Always liked him. He carried himself like nothing bothered him, almost no emotion but he was a serious baller.

Hope he has a nice long run.
            I too always liked the way Baker played. 543,000 Dollars guaranteed.
            Last edited by NI hawk; 01-19-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

There are plenty of ways to trash on the Shockers, but this probably isn't one of them. It is good for the MVC for players to make and succeed in the NBA.

P.S. His problems are probably related to Hornacek. What do you expect from a coach from Iowa State?

Comment

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...nee-strip-club
                Did you just decide to cherry pick this game?

Ron is STARTING on an NBA team. On Tuesday he started also.

Stat Line:
                22 Min, 4-9, 4-7 3pt, 3 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 12 points.

For the year:
                11 mpg, 4ppg, 2 rpg, 1.2 apg, .5 spg.

Not bad for an undrafted Rookie that had to play his way through summer league to training camp and onto a now GUARANTEED contract.

By the way, very similary story for Van Vleet. Both are now on Guaranteed contracts.

Comment

I have nothing against Ron Baker and I was only pointing out the uniqueness of the game he played last night. In no way do I think all of those zeros are an indicator of how good or how bad he is. I'm not a basketball box score expert, but I have to believe that the number of minutes and the number of zeros are not common.

I actually have nothing against WSU players in the NBA and enjoy seeing them do well because it just makes our conference look better. I was just trying to have some fun when connecting this performance to the Cleanthony Early shooting, but realistically I was disappointed with that situation because it most likely marked the end to any chances he had in the NBA.

To evidence my support of WSU/other MVC teams, last year I went out of my way to watch WSU play Seton Hall in New Jersey.

Comment

I have nothing against Ron Baker and I was only pointing out the uniqueness of the game he played last night. In no way do I think all of those zeros are an indicator of how good or how bad he is. I'm not a basketball box score expert, but I have to believe that the number of minutes and the number of zeros are not common.

I actually have nothing against WSU players in the NBA and enjoy seeing them do well because it just makes our conference look better. I was just trying to have some fun when connecting this performance to the Cleanthony Early shooting, but realistically I was disappointed with that situation because it most likely marked the end to any chances he had in the NBA.

To evidence my support of WSU/other MVC teams, last year I went out of my way to watch WSU play Seton Hall in New Jersey.
                    The biggest non-zero about last night was 5 fouls. That's what limited him from playing more. He was guarding Isaiah Thomas. It's hard for veterans to guard him, let alone a rookie on a team that doesn't know how to play help defense (or defense at all most times)

Comment

Yes, nothing says 'having some fun' like bringing up a guy getting shot while getting robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudizzle View Post
                        Yes, nothing says 'having some fun' like bringing up a guy getting shot while getting robbed.
                        I still can't understand why a guy would take his girlfriend to a strip club, so I feel no shame.

Comment

I still can't understand why a guy would take his girlfriend to a strip club, so I feel no shame.
                          Different strokes for different folks. It was fairly dumb to be out at the time of night he was when the incident happened. As for Baker, he's making the most of his opportunity with the Knicks and it is good to see. The only downside is WSU fans have yet another thing to puff their chest out about. That's a tougher pill to swallow.

Comment

Somehow the MVC is at fault for his performance last night. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure our Shocker fan friends can connect the dots for us.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                              Somehow the MVC is at fault for his performance last night. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure our Shocker fan friends can connect the dots for us.
                              Two words:

John Higgins

Comment

Working...
                              X