WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New UNI-Dome Scoreboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New UNI-Dome Scoreboards?

There really aren't that many companies who make scoreboard, Daktronics is out of South Dakota I believe, FairPlay is out of Des Moines. Nevco is another, and I believe they are out of Illinois.

As long as it's not used and it has a guarantee, I don't think it really matter that much. Daktronics definitely does seem to be the industry standard though, and this is the first we've heard about pulling the existing boards out of McLeod. Can anyone else confirm this?

Comment

There really aren't that many companies who make scoreboard, Daktronics is out of South Dakota I believe, FairPlay is out of Des Moines
      Just as a point of clarification, we're talking about a video board, not just a "scoreboard." You're sort of right, there are only a few manufacturers - Dak, Mitsubishi Diamond Vision, Panasonic, etc. There are more companies who make large-scale digital message centers (which is really all a video board is), such as WatchFire. (Fair-Play, fwiw, is both shyte and doesn't make anything even close to the scale UNI is talking about, and Nevco doesn't make anything of sufficient size, either).

You're right, a guarantee is necessary, but if it isn't working on gameday, all you have a guaranteed problem (assuming they know how to fix it at all). You're also right that Dak is the industry standard, in part because they have the most experience with large boards, and in part because they offer integrated solutions for scoring, video, stats, etc. We haven't been able to get working streaming video, stats, etc, working for a long time. Going to a less experienced vendor (particularly when the bid process was short-circuited and the bids weren't actually investigated as required) who is going to have to cobble something together should be somewhat concerning.

I don't know the timeline on the changes in the McLeod Center, just that they were added as part of the UNI-Dome installation.

Comment

Wasn't the Dome re-do supposed to be the whole system??

Giant Videoboard, moving current board to North End, Sound System, Video System, etc...
        #MACtion

Comment

That is how I understand it, yes.

Comment

The sound system isn't happening right now per TD's last facebook/twitter Q&A. It will be done as the money becomes available.

Comment

Meanwhile, ISU is getting approval for a new mega-video board and sound system for the bowled in south endzone.

Comment

I suppose ISU has to utilize as many bells, whistles, and shiny things as possible to keep people entertained at football games.

UNI will just have to continue keeping people occupied by more entertaining football.

Comment

Common conversation among us ISU fans:

"Well, at least not going to a bowl game leaves more money for the Big 12 and NCAA BB tournaments."

This was first heard on the way out after the UNI game last year!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                    The sound system isn't happening right now per TD's last facebook/twitter Q&A. It will be done as the money becomes available.
                    Thought that was the McLeod Center sound system. I thought i heard that the Dome system is so old it can't be integrated into any new programs.

Pretty sure it's original to the roof replacement in 1997.
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Re: New UNI-Dome Scoreboards?

The roof was replaced in '98, iirc.

Upgrading the dome sound system will be a massive improvement.

Comment

But if we replace the sound system in the dome will we still be able to play 8 tracks?

Comment

I don't think the problem with the sound system was ever really a problem with the equipment, but rather with the placement of the speakers. They need a real expert to look at how the sound bounces around in the facility with the building full (okay, 3/4 full) of people.

Comment

have there been any renderings of what this is going to look like yet?
                            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                              I don't think the problem with the sound system was ever really a problem with the equipment, but rather with the placement of the speakers. They need a real expert to look at how the sound bounces around in the facility with the building full (okay, 3/4 full) of people.
                              I think it's some of both. The dead spots are definitely placement, but the over-modulation is a technical issue. Maybe that's caused by trying to push the system to cover those dead spots, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                                have there been any renderings of what this is going to look like yet?
                                This. You'd think there would be some out there somewhere

Comment

Working...
                                X