WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Posters

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
    I could go on this rant all day long, but others have said a lot of what I've wanted to already - like others have said, this just reeks of small-time. Get a donor or something, or charge money - whatever - just get it done.
    Let's just hope it's not PFGBest... (too soon?)
    Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Just insane. Wrong. Guess the state fair booth will be lamer than usual.

Comment

It's just embarrassing that this discussion is even taking place - cut down the number printed to save money, and leave it up to the fan to get their hands on one. I don't think the university understands how many people are exposed to UNI athletics through this type of marketing tool - people that wouldn't even care at all otherwise. I have dozens of students come through my classroom every year that follow UNI through the post-season tournaments that wouldn't have given them a second thought without the visual reminding them (and my promoting them). I had 6th grade kids watch the Montana playoff game on TV and talk to me about it the next day that never would have even known one player on the team before walking into my classroom on the first day of school. How many of those kids might consider UNI as a destination for their tuition dollars in the future because of simply being made aware that there are more than two state universities when they are young? This is very short-sighted and bogus - you have to get your name out there to benefit in the long run - basic advertising - and this is just a horrible idea. Give the posters out at one of the last two games? Is he joking? In November? Why even bother at that point? A marketing tool like this is to drum up interest, and you obviously are wasting your time when the season is almost over.

I could go on this rant all day long, but others have said a lot of what I've wanted to already - like others have said, this just reeks of small-time. Get a donor or something, or charge money - whatever - just get it done.
        Exactly, even if this thing had given ONE student over the years exposure that lead to his/her attending UNI, how many years of posters would that have made up for? Like 50 years?
        Last edited by Hail Our Panthers; 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM.
        Top ten UNI football plays from 2001-2011

Comment

I wonder if this decision has anything to do with the outsourcing of the printing operations this year.
          Originally posted by TH1974
          This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

It's just embarrassing that this discussion is even taking place - cut down the number printed to save money, and leave it up to the fan to get their hands on one. I don't think the university understands how many people are exposed to UNI athletics through this type of marketing tool - people that wouldn't even care at all otherwise. I have dozens of students come through my classroom every year that follow UNI through the post-season tournaments that wouldn't have given them a second thought without the visual reminding them (and my promoting them). I had 6th grade kids watch the Montana playoff game on TV and talk to me about it the next day that never would have even known one player on the team before walking into my classroom on the first day of school. How many of those kids might consider UNI as a destination for their tuition dollars in the future because of simply being made aware that there are more than two state universities when they are young? This is very short-sighted and bogus - you have to get your name out there to benefit in the long run - basic advertising - and this is just a horrible idea. Give the posters out at one of the last two games? Is he joking? In November? Why even bother at that point? A marketing tool like this is to drum up interest, and you obviously are wasting your time when the season is almost over.

I could not agree more. Lame short sighted just makes you wonder about the leaderships competence. Who makes these decisions anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              I wonder if this decision has anything to do with the outsourcing of the printing operations this year.
              I don't believe so, I was told that we did not use the UNI Printing Services for our athletics posters. Wolverton (or something similiar) maybe? I think it was Wolverton Printing that did our posters

Comment

Originally posted by casbern View Post
                Let's just hope it's not PFGBest... (too soon?)
                I almost went back and included that in my post...thanks for saying it so I didn't have to....
                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                - George Halas

Comment

Pathetic....
                  UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Think they could partner with hyvee and a soda company and give them away with a case of soda.

Comment

Amateur move not to have those posters...real mistake by the AD. I can't imagine that a bulk printing of posters is that great of an expense per poster??

Comment

I emailed John Eby a while back and just today got a reply (says it went to spam folder). Anyway, I stressed how disappointed so many of us were at this decision for posters, talked about the State Fair, exposure, generating excitement, etc. This is what I got in return.

We are not doing away with posters this year, but we are changing the focus of the posters.
                        The posters will be given out at select games this year. The games the posters will be given out at is yet to be determined, but when that is decided it will be posted online at unipanthers.com and on the UNI Athletics social media sites.
                        Thank you for your note and for supporting UNI and the Panthers.
                        Regards,
                        John Eby

I replied to him with my disappointment again. Not that it does any good. I did ask him for a reason for this decision.

Comment

Keep it up and keep us posted. I'd really like to hear the logic behind this decision

Comment

I will keep it up. Just a strange decision so I hope he elaborates more.

Comment

I was also thinking how much the lack of student support in general has been unless it's a big game and thought what an easy way to get the idea of attending games into freshmen's heads - hand them out at registration or have them in the dorm rooms when they check in.
                              And like someone else said - if there are always a ton left over, wouldn't the first logical step be to just not print so many in the first place? Ugh, I hate it when I don't understand a decision and don't like it.

Comment

Media Guide Cover

Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X