WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD upset about student turnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD upset about student turnout

Glad it isn't just a UNI problem. Cool to see Mich St be proactive with this challenge. I wish UNI was more proactive in addressing this issue. Of course, winning games and having relevant programs helps.

Changes may be coming to the student section at Spartan Stadium after what officials called a disappointing showing for Michigan State's 27-22 win over Nebraska Saturday night.

Re: AD upset about student turnout

The customer is always right. Find a way to entice the students to stay, other than an attempted public shaming.

Comment

As a business owner I can tell you that the customer definitely isn't always right. But you do have to figure out how to work within the confines of your customer and their attitudes. That is something that is rapidly evolving and devolving in college (and pro) athletics. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. Schools have been expanding their stadiums to try to get "bigger and badder" while ticket sales, especially student sales, have gone down year over year at many schools. I only see this attendance trend worsening and maybe the new norm becomes smaller stadiums and bigger tv contracts. In a way it is a fitting result for these big schools that have sold their souls to TV for the huge checks but now can't get people to stop watching the exact thing that is paying them millions and millions to actually come and support their teams in person.

Comment

I know the customer is not always right (Business owner for 11 years) - they just need to buy into the idea that you believe that maxim.

Comment

The tone is set by those of us who are more serious fans. When we arrive late and leave early (or don't come back after halftime), we send a message that attendance at the game is not a priority.

Comment

You definitely have a point to consider UNIdadtobe

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ProwlingPanther View Post
              Of course, winning games and having relevant programs helps.
              Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner.
              Originally posted by TH1974
              This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Some of the student attendance or interest problems extends from high school. Check attendance or participation at your local high school & see what it looks like. I bet it is not even close to the 70's or 80's. If they do not develop the love for being a fan or an athlete in high school, there is a good chance they won't become a fan in college!

Comment

It takes student leaders. If true student leaders take the initiative, then students will follow. Not wannabe leaders who are just padding their resumes with "leadership" roles, but real leaders, like stars of other teams, upperclassmen in the frats, etc. Maybe take lessons or tie in with the great leadership that is shown for other things, like Dance Marathon.

Comment

If students are disconnected today, where will the alumni base be in 30 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                      If students are disconnected today, where will the alumni base be in 30 years?
                      Oh Oh!

Good (bad) Point

Comment

Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years. Everything is on TV now and so people are choosing to stay home instead of fighting the traffic and the tailgating. Plus with all the tailgating restrictions and making the seating space smaller, its going to end bad for them. I actually heard some BCS program was trying to upgrade their Wifi system so that students could have access to wifi during the games?? WTF?

Plus all the conference expansion isn't helping, I mean you have teams from 12-15 hours away playing each other and its difficult for fans to travel that far. The ISU vs Iowa game was a sell out and the UNI vs Iowa game was close to a sell out. The instate games get people to the games, but these teams coming from across the country, no one cares about them.

But like someone else said, if you win the problem resolves it self.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherHawk View Post
                          Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years. Everything is on TV now and so people are choosing to stay home instead of fighting the traffic and the tailgating. Plus with all the tailgating restrictions and making the seating space smaller, its going to end bad for them. I actually heard some BCS program was trying to upgrade their Wifi system so that students could have access to wifi during the games?? WTF?

Plus all the conference expansion isn't helping, I mean you have teams from 12-15 hours away playing each other and its difficult for fans to travel that far. The ISU vs Iowa game was a sell out and the UNI vs Iowa game was close to a sell out. The instate games get people to the games, but these teams coming from across the country, no one cares about them.

But like someone else said, if you win the problem resolves it self.
                          Regardless the schools are always going to take the guaranteed TV money. Might see ticket prices coming down some in the future or more of a switch increasing amenities (more luxuries) instead of cramming as many people as possible in stadium.
                          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by PantherHawk View Post
                            Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years.
                            10 years? It's happening right now, and I don't blame fans. Ticket prices have been rising for years and the conferences have been emphasizing the importance of the big TV deals and how great TV is. They shouldn't b itch now that fans want to stay home and watch on TV.
                            UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                              10 years? It's happening right now, and I don't blame fans. Ticket prices have been rising for years and the conferences have been emphasizing the importance of the big TV deals and how great TV is. They shouldn't b itch now that fans want to stay home and watch on TV.
                              Yeah I know, I just think over the next few years its going to get worse.

Anyone have issues this past weekend when PSU vs Michigan was blacked out on ESPN2? Could they do that at some point? Say if ticket sales are dwindling, could they black out a college game? I don't know the College football rules regarding that issue.

I personally would like to see ESPN show more FCS games on Saturdays. With the Big Ten, SEC, Big XII, and other networks, that should open some space to showcase some of the other schools in the area. I liked that a local station carried the UNI game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they do that more often.

Comment

Working...
                              X