WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD upset about student turnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AD upset about student turnout

Originally posted by PantherHawk View Post
    I liked that a local station carried the UNI game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they do that more often.
    All of the UNI home games are carried locally and online (for a fee) this year.
    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
      All of the UNI home games are carried locally and online (for a fee) this year.
      I know I am not local to CF, so I would have to watch on my Computer and it isn't the same. Wish I understood technology enough to hook up my computer to my Big Screen.

It was our local fox station that picked up the UNI game. I am hoping they will do the same for the NDSU game in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I know I am not local to CF, so I would have to watch on my Computer and it isn't the same. Wish I understood technology enough to hook up my computer to my Big Screen.

It was our local fox station that picked up the UNI game. I am hoping they will do the same for the NDSU game in a couple of weeks.
        Where you located? Pretty sure it's the same coverage for every game

KCRG 9.2, CFU 15, WOI 5.2, KCAU 9.2, KGCW 26
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Illinois side of the Quad Cities. I have Direct TV so the last time it was on channel 24 which was nice!

Comment

I've watched some UNI games on the WatchESPN app and used chromecast to send it to the TV. It looks like the UNI-SDSU game will not be on the app this weekend. So, it won't work out for you with UNI this weekend. On the other hand, it's a pretty nice way to watch college football. Anyway, other MVFC games that will be on WatchESPN this weekend:

Indiana State vs. North Dakota State
            Illinois State vs. Western Illinois
            South Dakota vs. Missouri State

Comment

Anyone have issues this past weekend when PSU vs Michigan was blacked out on ESPN2? Could they do that at some point? Say if ticket sales are dwindling, could they black out a college game? I don't know the College football rules regarding that issue.
              I'm sure it could be written into future contracts with individual conferences, but I can't imagine ESPN or other networks would want to sign on for that.
              UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Don't underestimate the online student for their disconnect. We may have 12,000 that are students at UNI, but a number of them are never on campus or have any connection to the University other than graduation. I read an article that estimated that in 10 years 25% of the enrolled college students will not actually attend a college or university, but will receive a 4 year degree on line and their only connection will be at graduation. It is a problem developing with schools like UNI--do you build dorms or commit to the internet as a viable way to induce students. Fewer and fewer students (mostly do to cost) are not wanting the college experience but still want a four year degree they can get on line. Those same students are not going to buy a football season ticket.

Comment

Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years. Everything is on TV now and so people are choosing to stay home instead of fighting the traffic and the tailgating. Plus with all the tailgating restrictions and making the seating space smaller, its going to end bad for them. I actually heard some BCS program was trying to upgrade their Wifi system so that students could have access to wifi during the games?? WTF?

Plus all the conference expansion isn't helping, I mean you have teams from 12-15 hours away playing each other and its difficult for fans to travel that far. The ISU vs Iowa game was a sell out and the UNI vs Iowa game was close to a sell out. The instate games get people to the games, but these teams coming from across the country, no one cares about them.

But like someone else said, if you win the problem resolves it self.

While this seems to be the national trend, it doesn't seem to be true in Ames. Games are on TV and they don't win, yet the crowds stay strong.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                    Don't underestimate the online student for their disconnect. We may have 12,000 that are students at UNI, but a number of them are never on campus or have any connection to the University other than graduation. I read an article that estimated that in 10 years 25% of the enrolled college students will not actually attend a college or university, but will receive a 4 year degree on line and their only connection will be at graduation. It is a problem developing with schools like UNI--do you build dorms or commit to the internet as a viable way to induce students. Fewer and fewer students (mostly do to cost) are not wanting the college experience but still want a four year degree they can get on line. Those same students are not going to buy a football season ticket.
                    I had a teacher in high school who used to say the same thing. He was against online classes for kids coming from high school. He thought that kids 18-22 should attend college and experience the "college lifestyle". He did say that parents and people who work for a living and are going back to school could and would benefit from online classes. He just thinks that most young adults do not need online and need to be exposed to college.

He also thought that most kids in that age group would struggle with online classes as they are "go at your own pace" type of classes and there is no one there monitoring you or your work.

It was funny if you ever wanted to get him going, just start talking about online something and he would go off. It would usually take up a chunk of our class time.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                      While this seems to be the national trend, it doesn't seem to be true in Ames. Games are on TV and they don't win, yet the crowds stay strong.
                      That is true, some teams have strong fan bases and have not increased their ticket prices so its affordable for their fans.

Some of the other BCS programs though it would be a good idea to raise ticket prices and now have made attending games cost too much and now its cheaper and easier to stay at home and watch.

I just think with everything on TV, some of these conferences are going to see their attendance go down. They are going to need to change something in order to keep fans in the seats.

Speaking from experience the TV timeouts are way too long. My god you sit there 3-4 minutes with nothing happening on the field and it seems now there are more of them. It used to be at the end of the quarter, and sometimes during a team Time-out. Now its every change of possession and turnovers, and after Touchdowns. It kills the atmosphere.

Comment

Iowa State is putting through pretty significant price increases for Football and Basketball next year. We'll see how that goes on the football side coming off another 3 or 4 win season.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          Iowa State is putting through pretty significant price increases for Football and Basketball next year. We'll see how that goes on the football side coming off another 3 or 4 win season.
                          This ^^ Might go over OK in the first year just "because" (new stadium expansion etc.), but what is fair market value on a ticket to see a team that loses 2 out of 3 games pretty consistently? Raising prices sets a new expectation among fans and can turn on you in a hurry.

Comment

They've already raised them quite a bit since Pollard got there I think, and they've only gotten more popular. Don't underestimate the power of the millions in free publicity they get from Iowa media/corps. The constant promotion of the rivalry between the other two in-state universities benefits them both greatly.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Iowa State is doing some good things to keep the fan pipeline flowing. For instance, on Saturday, they are having a dunk contest and 3-point contest, then showing the Texas football game at Hilton. Free.

They also have shown a kid's movie at Jack Trice Stadium during the summer.

And the fan fest (interactive experiences with the players/coaches and autograph signing) draws thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                                They also have shown a kid's movie at Jack Trice Stadium during the summer.
                                Makes sense. They usually have clown shows there on Saturdays during the fall.
                                UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Working...
                                X