WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start writing emails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start writing emails...

Originally posted by Panther/Statesman View Post
    I don't suppose the BoR has any real axe to grind against UNI, and despite the current budget shortfalls I can't see the relatively miniscule amount of money being spent on athletics here being such a critical issue. Causing sports programs to be dropped would be devastating to the university in the form of lost prestige and enrollment, which likely would cause a reduction in academic offerings.

UNI doesn't simply educate the next generation of bankers, financial anylists, and teachers in academic disciplines. It educates coaches, who generally stay in the state and give back by developing youngsters athletic potential and instilling the values of hard work and goal-acheivement. Along the way, students are taught to study hard and organize their lives to maximise their potential. Where is this great teaching asset going to come from if the next best alternative is to attend college in out of state?

How many young people from the state would have to go elsewhere if their educational opportunites couldn't be obtained by earning an athletic scholarship? UNI primarily serves Iowans, and Iowans yet to come would be the primary receipient of a loss of quality mentors who have traditionally come from our university.

The UNI we know today was built with the effort, sweat and perseverence of thousands of dedicated professionals and visionaries over more than a century. You can look back through the years and find great leaders who made a great impact on our state, and the nation. And many of them were rooted in athletics.

It is certainly a laudable goal to move us toward finacial independence as far as the athletic department goes. But this must be tempered by the knowlege that the entire state gets a tremendous return on its investment at UNI, that we are highly efficient and our leaders are always looking for innovative ideas toward that end.

UNI is hitting its stride in terms of national recognition because of its athletics, which in turn draws attention to our academics. This can be the beginning of a golden age for our university, if the same vision and care that built our university is accessed now. I believe the BoR will be fair and wise, and will help us on our journey toward a bright future. We are an asset that many states would covet, and it is not in the character of Iowan's to be narrow minded and short sighted on such an important issue.

And yes, it is time for us to give generously to our alma mater. But you know that's what we do out here on the prairie. The same spirit that our forebearers had which built our great universities in the first place will come to our aid now.
    SEND THIS TO THE BOARD OF REGENTS! Very well said.

Comment

Panther/Statesman,

No way you went to UNI. You are too smart...
      "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Regardless of how much the BOR threatens us, I have a very hard time believing they will force the elimination of UNI athletics. The PR would be terrible for the state of Iowa and the long term economic impact on UNI and the Cedar Valley will be devastating.

Even if the BOR did force the elimination of general fund money, UNI has the donors to fill the gap. It won't be easy or fun, but it will be done. I know it seems hard to grasp given our history, but Troy was able to raise $2M in 72 hours for Jacobson's salary. Freaking baseball, which has a fraction of the support basketball and football have, was able to find donors willing to contribute $250K per year toward the program.

I'm not trying to brush off a serious issue, but I am optimistic about the long term fate of UNI athletics.
        Originally posted by TH1974
        This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrambler View Post
          From experience, writing to the BOR is a waste of time, they will do what they want no matter what is sent to them. Only thing that will solve the problem is money... and not sure there is enough out there to solve it.

UNI needs a political power behind them in order to get anything done. Yet those political powers will want money in return for them backing UNI...
          Where is Senator Grassley at on this?
          (217): Just watched a UNI fan at the bar lick the tears off of a KU fans face.. See what march madness does to people

Comment

Originally posted by Cannic88 View Post
            Where is Senator Grassley at on this?
            He generally tries to stay out of state issues, unless they have a federal implication as well.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
              He generally tries to stay out of state issues, unless they have a federal implication as well.
              While I agree with that stance (to an extent, because how are you going to represent your state without understanding/being involved in some way with state issues), this is his alma mater, you'd figure you'd have some opinion and feeling about the possibility of your alma mater losing athletics.
              Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by casbern View Post
                While I agree with that stance (to an extent, because how are you going to represent your state without understanding/being involved in some way with state issues), this is his alma mater, you'd figure you'd have some opinion and feeling about the possibility of your alma mater losing athletics.
                I'm sure he would want to express his opinion, however he also understands having the state's most prominent Republican putting his nose into the business of a Board of Regents dominated by Democratic appointees probably wouldn't help UNI's cause.

Comment

Sen Grassley is only a loyalty member in the PSC. I'm not sure if he gives more to the school.

But based on that info, I'm guessing he wouldn't inconvinience himself in this situation.
                  Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                    Sen Grassley is only a loyalty member in the PSC. I'm not sure if he gives more to the school.

But based on that info, I'm guessing he wouldn't inconvinience himself in this situation.
                    Something wrong with being a Loyalty level member?

Comment

That's better than 90% of UNI grads, I would speculate.

Comment

Well I think it's about time he starts getting involved.

I don't see a lot of other Senators or comparable heavy hitters with UNI ties waiting in the wings.

I think it's time for those we do have in our corner to speak up. You don't have to hit someone over the head, but you can make it clear what your opinion is.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                          Even if the BOR did force the elimination of general fund money, UNI has the donors to fill the gap. It won't be easy or fun, but it will be done. I know it seems hard to grasp given our history, but Troy was able to raise $2M in 72 hours for Jacobson's salary. Freaking baseball, which has a fraction of the support basketball and football have, was able to find donors willing to contribute $250K per year toward the program.

I'm not trying to brush off a serious issue, but I am optimistic about the long term fate of UNI athletics.
                          Sorry, but I think you are off on this one. I don't think they will take away all of our GF money, but if they did I think we would be in serious trouble. Finding a one time $2MM donor is much different than finding a yearly $4.5MM donor. If it were that easy, I think we would already have our sugar daddy.

Comment

Something wrong with being a Loyalty level member?

No, and I hope I am not implying that. Just that someone of his status giving at that level is probably not going to risk himself politically for us. I could be wrong. Just a theory.
                            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

No, and I hope I am not implying that. Just that someone of his status giving at that level is probably not going to risk himself politically for us. I could be wrong. Just a theory.
                              Big name people don't have to give big time money, they already get all kinds of kickbacks from the university. They have no incentive to give more

TH with a smart ass 5 words rebuttal in 3.............2............1

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                                That's better than 90% of UNI grads, I would speculate.
                                If I heard correctly on OPR today there are only like 1200 PSC members. That blew my mind...
                                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                                X