WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDermott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDermott

Not even sure how to title the thread, whether to pull up an old thread or how to even comment on this article. Depending on how much the whole McDermott situation still pains you, you may want to consider if you really want to read it. But here it is-

Like any dad, my dad can be annoying. He can be a pest. But he’s doing it for all the right reasons. Even if he’s sliding into your Facebook messages.

Re: McDermott

It's a good read.

Comment

Good thing he can shot the ball, because the writing "style" is a tough, tough chore to chew through.

Comment

I think David Johnson had an article in that same blog last summer that was well written.

Comment

He's best team was the first year MVC team destroying the lil east.
          Their burning out last year.

Comment

Some interesting stuff in that article. Nothing that even hints that going to Creighton actually had some significant negative consequences for UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
              Some interesting stuff in that article. Nothing that even hints that going to Creighton actually had some significant negative consequences for UNI.
              2 1/2 years ago I would have agreed with you. But after the last two seasons with a Top 10 ranking, NCAA Tournament appearances and first round wins, which was as good as Creighton did with McDermott, I don't know that McDermott's decision impacted UNI a huge amount in the end. UNI ended up fine without him and he got to play for his dad.
              Last edited by DWadle1983; 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM.
              "Lot of people talked about Ohio State or Georgetown or Michigan State or whoever, [or] Maryland in our bracket. When the brackets came out, the first team I looked at was Northern Iowa," Kansas Coach Bill Self.

Comment

I got to play for my dad in Little League. It wasn't THAT big of a deal. JK, at the time it really was.

Comment

Originally posted by DWadle1983 View Post
                  2 1/2 years ago I would have agreed with you. But after the last two seasons with a Top 10 ranking, NCAA Tournament appearances and first round wins, which was as good as Creighton did with McDermott, I don't know that McDermott's decision impacted UNI a huge amount in the end. UNI ended up fine without him and he got to play for his dad.

It took 4 years to recover. Don't kid yourself.

Comment

Realistically we could have went to 8 straight NCAA tournaments if we would have kept Doug, I mean the 2011 team was headed there before O'Rear got hurt, and with Doug they would have made it, and then it would have just continued on.

Comment

Originally posted by DWadle1983 View Post
                      Cost us several league titles, NCAA shares and the chance to be the next Butler/Gonzaga, but sure we ended up 'fine'...

Also got Creighton out of their death spiral and into the Big East.

Also got Jamie Pollard out from under a coach he didn't want and got him a check for $850k to do it

Fine, just fine.

This is wound that will never die for me.
                      #MACtion

Comment

I like the "Isn't my dad a nice guy for paying my way so we could have an extra scholarship?"
                        Because in my mind, that's cheating the scholarship limit.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          Cost us several league titles, NCAA shares and the chance to be the next Butler/Gonzaga, but sure we ended up 'fine'...

Also got Jamie Pollard out from under a coach he didn't want and got him a check for $850k to do it

Fine, just fine.

Agree 100%. Just because we did well without him here doesn't mean we wouldn't have achieved even more with him.
                          Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                          Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                          - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Fine, just fine.

Yup.

2010-2011...Doug's freshman year - UNI is streaking and running towards a league title. Won 8 of 9 between Jan 9 and Feb 2nd. That Feb 2nd game UNI won but Lucas went down with his broken ankle. He was the only post player UNI had. At the time of that win UNI was 20-6 and .5 game out of first place in the conference. UNI lost 5 of the final 6 games to close that season, lost the fist round to Scum McDermott of the conference tourney and second round CIT exit.

Not fair to say only. Jake Koch was a rSo and freshman Chip Rank and Pehl tried real hard but just weren't MVC post players like Lucas. We lost that edge. Doug would have been brilliant to have.

Because of how late Doug left we couldn't find anyone to fill that roster spot that year

2011-2012. We get to the NIT but Tuttle doesn't get a redshirt...neither does Marv (who ends up redshirting a year later). We also essentially lost a year recruiting big as we'd stopped after Doug signed. To slow the "bleeding" Jake tried the prep route and brought in Olivier, who over his year and a half on campus was nothing but a distraction.

2012-2013 our post players are Pehl, Rank, Tuttle, Singleton (who RS), Buss Koch and Lange....We were in a DEEP hole for recruiting bigs and this was the first recruiting year we were on "even ground" with contact with posts. Got to the semi's of the CBI but were 18-13 at the end of that regular season. Thankfully Jake and Seth were okay almost never leaving the court. That year was about a 6 man rotation of AJ, Seth, Sonnen, Jake, Deon and then whoever the best match up off the bench was...Typically Matty Bo. Those 5 carried that whole year.

2013-2014 is the first year we had spots open to take a post player of "substance". We signed Bennett, Klint and Ted in that class. So do the math, this is the 4th season after Doug pulled his stunt and we were just able to get our roster rotation worked back through to get quality depth at the position. Oh, but remember this is their true freshman year. Ted had the most college ready body so he was forced into a starting role as a true freshman. Yeah, he wasn't ready. We finished that year 16-15 and is our only non tournament year in about a decade and a half. Posts who saw action that year were Ted, Chip Rank, Tuttle, Singleton and Buss (who is a 3 if we are honest about it). So yeah, Doug's senior year would have been a rotation of Tuttle, Doug, Singleton and Buss...but we replaced Doug with Ted.

14-15 and beyond we are finally, mostly, recovered. We can still see the unbalanced class thing in an effort to over correct when it first went down but we are close to stable again.

As BC said, the enormous avalanche of **** that "single" action hurled at UNI set the program back a half decade, but we are told to let it go and it didn't actually cause anything.

ISU was death spiraling, their coach bails them out of a buy out and the bring in Hoiburg and steal all "attention and momentum" away from UNI.

Creighton is saved from the path Altman is starting them down and with their new coach they get a gift wrapped All American. Altman had just 1 NCAA apperance in Altman's final 5 years and just 2 in his final 7. It was heading downhill.

We had conference titles in 08-09, 09-10 and even without Doug were about to win 10-11 before the lack of post players cost us that.

We likely are WSU, in terms of domination of the league, right now if he doesn't leave.

Oh, and that is also ignoring the fact that the ONLY reason Grant Gibbs transfered to CU over UNI was Doug McDermott. Yep...imagine UNI from 2012-2015 with Doug and Grant in stead of Chip Rank and Matt Morrison or Robby Knar

2013-2014 roster would have been

Guards:
                            Deon
                            Matty Bo
                            Wes
                            Jeremy
                            Grant

F/C would have been
                            Klint
                            Seth
                            Marv
                            Bennett
                            Doug
                            Buss
                            Last edited by claw; 02-09-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                              I like the "Isn't my dad a nice guy for paying my way so we could have an extra scholarship?"
                              Because in my mind, that's cheating the scholarship limit.
                              I like how that family truly believes that the move had no negative impact on UNI and can't understand the animosity behind hit.

Comment

Working...
                              X