WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Athletic Department positions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Athletic Department positions??

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
    Is "Deputy Athletic Director" a standard job title?

And is it substantially different than "Associate Athletic Director" (which seems much more common)?
    It would appear as though we have: Assistant Athletic Directors, Associate Athletic Directors, Deputy Athletic Directors, Directors, and Assistant Directors among different titled positions.

Comment

Former Panthers football player Jamar Thompson is taking Moose's old job at UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
        It would appear as though we have: Assistant Athletic Directors, Associate Athletic Directors, Deputy Athletic Directors, Directors, and Assistant Directors among different titled positions.
        Sounds like an HR thing.

What we really need is an Assistant to the Associate Deputy Assistant Athletic Director.
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
          Sounds like an HR thing.

What we really need is an Assistant to the Associate Deputy Assistant Athletic Director.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
            Our website shows 14 administrators. Many have assistant directors in their particular divisions and many have assistant/assistants. We have three concession facilitators that total $140,000 in wages, about what we generate in profits a year. We have 8 facilities directors, assistants, event managers, etc.

We may have to look to cut back on some of our administrative staff first before we look to cut coaching staffs, scholarships or sport essentials (equipment, travel).

Comment

Steve moving to the foundation side of things tells me that he was upset, like the others who left, with the direction the department was taking or upset he wasn't offered the AD job. I think the move was good for him professionally but still fishy for someone who bleeds purple to pretty much wash his hands of athletics.

I also do know that the position he had in athletics no longer exists from what I heard....the new person, who I believe will be Jamar Thompson, will just be in charge of major gifts for the department, basically facility upgrades, and not really any PSC stuff like Moose did.

Seems like a position that wasn't really needed at the associate AD level and is basically just another foundation fundraiser with an emphasis on athletics. Jamar is a nice guy and former athlete but was this necessary when we are facing serious budget cuts...especially when David will need to make most of the asks for larger gifts himself, not someone with less then 5 years of experience.

Troy and Moose knew the big donors personally and made an effort to cultivate and engage them and new ones...with that gone this is just an uphill battle with new people and little experience.

Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.

Comment

As has been stated earlier in the thread - its a pay raise for him, he did not apply for the AD job, etc.

I agree that new faces talking to major donors is not ideal (unless they did not like the old faces!)

Comment

(/QUOTE)Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.[/QUOTE]

The PSC Staff would love more volunteers. Especially outside the Cedar Valley. You seem to have strong ideas about how it should be done. Email Kerry Dickerson - he'd love to talk with you.
                  Last edited by Panther'73; 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM. Reason: left out word

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPanther007 View Post
                    Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.

The PSC events are largely organized and executed by volunteers. If you are out of the Cedar Valley area and would like some PSC events where you live, it would be great if you would volunteer your free time to help get some of that going.

I don't know about you, but I hardly think its reasonable to ask people, who are already donating their time and money to the PSC, to go out and prospect the country for new donors.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Steve moving to the foundation side of things tells me that he was upset, like the others who left, with the direction the department was taking or upset he wasn't offered the AD job. I think the move was good for him professionally but still fishy for someone who bleeds purple to pretty much wash his hands of athletics.

I also do know that the position he had in athletics no longer exists from what I heard....the new person, who I believe will be Jamar Thompson, will just be in charge of major gifts for the department, basically facility upgrades, and not really any PSC stuff like Moose did.

Seems like a position that wasn't really needed at the associate AD level and is basically just another foundation fundraiser with an emphasis on athletics. Jamar is a nice guy and former athlete but was this necessary when we are facing serious budget cuts...especially when David will need to make most of the asks for larger gifts himself, not someone with less then 5 years of experience.

Troy and Moose knew the big donors personally and made an effort to cultivate and engage them and new ones...with that gone this is just an uphill battle with new people and little experience.

Wow. Serious first post. Careful lest you pull a muscle in a typing finger. Try warming up a little.

Comment

I admire and appreciate your passion.

But change is inevitable and I don't think it's fair to dismiss the efforts of this model until we give it a chance to work.

Perhaps it turns into a win/win for all. We'll judge it based on results.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                          The PSC events are largely organized and executed by volunteers. If you are out of the Cedar Valley area and would like some PSC events where you live, it would be great if you would volunteer your free time to help get some of that going.

I don't know about you, but I hardly think its reasonable to ask people, who are already donating their time and money to the PSC, to go out and prospect the country for new donors.
                          I agree....the same people are constantly being asked to give and volunteer...and even they will tell you they are burnt out. Time to stop making excuses of why something can't/won't work and actually try new things. The department also can't be afraid to ask people to help with things. People are willing to step up but many times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again.

Comment

I agree....the same people are constantly being asked to give and volunteer...and even they will tell you they are burnt out. Time to stop making excuses of why something can't/won't work and actually try new things. The department also can't be afraid to ask people to help with things. People are willing to step up but many times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again.
                            Please give us three specific examples of "new things" you would like to see tried
                            and three incidences of "times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again". I am honestly interested in your views here.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                              Please give us three specific examples of "new things" you would like to see tried

and three incidences of "times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again". I am honestly interested in your views here.

I'd love to hear the new things.

However, the second part may open a can of warms you may not be aware of. I've been trying to get involved with certain groups for years. Yet, for some reason never get the returned call (despite multiple attempts/meetings). I've found other ways to get involved so I'm fine. But I can fully understand how difficult it is to break into certain "volunteer" groups. To keep dirty laundry off the site I'll end there....

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                                I'd love to hear the new things.

However, the second part may open a can of warms you may not be aware of. I've been trying to get involved with certain groups for years. Yet, for some reason never get the returned call (despite multiple attempts/meetings). I've found other ways to get involved so I'm fine. But I can fully understand how difficult it is to break into certain "volunteer" groups. To keep dirty laundry off the site I'll end there....
                                Yes, I'd like to know about some "can of warms (sic)" concerning someone not being able to volunteer.

Comment

Working...
                                X