WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delaware Up Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware Up Next

Delaware looked very good on TV on Friday. I thought they looked very physical and confident. But let's get a dose of reality on their season. Delaware State was completely over matched and would've gotten worked by any playoff team from the CAA, Gateway, Big Sky or Southern Conference.

Delaware is 9-3 right now. Those 9 wins include quality wins over James Madison and a 59-52 shootout vs Navy where they gave up 500 yards of offense.

Their other 7 wins include...
    - D2 West Chester
    - 5 wins against FCS schools that won 4 games or less this season, and
    - Delaware State

They are from a stout CAA conference, but only played 4 strong teams from that conference this year and went 1-3 against them (albeit all three losses were close).

UNI by comparison beat Iowa State, 7 FCS teams with winning records (including Drake), 3 FCS schools with losing records and a D2.

UNI is playing at home. We appear to be healthy. The crowd will be loud and strong. I like our chances.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Re: Delaware Up Next

You beat the 5th best team in CAA with a TD with 6 seconds left. Now you are facing the 4th best CAA team. That said the top teams in the CAA are all very close in quality in my opinion. Like you, Delaware played a very close game with UNH, but Delaware came out on the short end. You won, which is what counts in the end.

Delaware State was undefeated in their conference and only lost to an FBS program. I am in no way comparing the quality of your team to DSU (your team and conference are MUCH better), but when playing against similar, comparable competition (UNH), you look like an upper-end CAA team (honest appraisal as I see it). That's based on one game. Throw your and UD's conference records out the window. We'll see based on a second game this coming week. Should be fun!

Comment

Question for Rad Mann (who sounds like a CAA homer, no offense, I'm a gateway homer) what was New Hampshire like this year with Santos as apposed to without him? I understand that he missed some time this season.
      Last edited by Matt Trump; 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM.
      Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Flacco is a classic drop-back, rifle armed QB who can escape pressure decently well but is by no means a scrambler whereas Santos is more of a mobile when-he-needs-to-be QB who is extremely hard-nosed (and to be honest an incredible just plain football player if you ask me). Santos has an intangible aspect that you only really understand if you have seen him in person, stats don't describe his talents. Flacco can be an amazing pure passer, but which Flacco shows up is a concern for UD fans since we don't always see it.

Comment

I'm not downplaying the challenge that Delaware will be on Saturday. It will be a great battle just as the UNH game was.

Just presenting some facts on the history of UD's season to date. Painting a balanced picture since most UNI fans' only impression of UD this season is a DSU game that should have been played in week one of the season vs. week 1 of the playoffs.

And as for Flacco being the next Tom Brady, well maybe he is (although I suspect there is another side to the story given he did transfer from a moderately successful FBS program). But I've seen UNI face lots of great QBs...Santos twice, Nick Hill from SIU, Sambursky from SIU, Erik Meyer from Eastern Washington, Tony Romo from Eastern Illinois, Tx State's QB in 2005 (whose name I can't recall), and fare pretty well against each.
          Last edited by Blue42; 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM.
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

ps. this game scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by TREE View Post
              ps. this game scares me.
              Well I hope our players don't feel the same way, because good football teams aren't "scared" to play anyone.

I'm scared of scared fans.

Comment

This game will sell out by Wednesday.

Comment

The TX State QB was Dustin Long I think. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that Flacco hasn't played in a dome before. He can throw it a good 40-50 yards off his back foot into a 15-20 mph wind so I don't know yet.

If he's given time to throw he can pick you apart. If you blitz and stunt like Villanova did then I'd say you've got a good shot to win. Keep in mind that VU was 6-4 and really had nothing to lose by taking big gambles.

Comment

Originally posted by HenGrad2007 View Post
                    The TX State QB was Dustin Long I think. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that Flacco hasn't played in a dome before. He can throw it a good 40-50 yards off his back foot into a 15-20 mph wind so I don't know yet.

If he's given time to throw he can pick you apart. If you blitz and stunt like Villanova did then I'd say you've got a good shot to win. Keep in mind that VU was 6-4 and really had nothing to lose by taking big gambles.
                    Ours is not a risk taking defense, unless they change this week. Lots of dropping back into zone and rushing 4. We seldom blitz.

Comment

The QB from TXST was Barrick Nealy...FWIW...
                      #MACtion

Comment

So you basically put 8 in the box, then drop back into coverage, MattTrump?

Comment

Originally posted by HenGrad2007 View Post
                          So you basically put 8 in the box, then drop back into coverage, MattTrump?
                          Not usually. Our front 7 has been pretty stout all year in stopping the run, so 8 man fronts really haven't been common. This is a rare occurance because our run D is vastly improved from the past.

Comment

Of the teams left standing UD has the best offensive (yardage wise). And UNI (and UMass) are tied at #1 with 296.9 yards allowed per game.

Strength vs. Strength.

Comment

Oh, and, Matt, how are you against the pass? 200 ypg? Is that skewed by being up big and teams trying to throw against backups or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X