WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermat rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermat rankings

UNI rankings 125 Peters 9th, 133 Colon 9th, 141 Lazor 9th, 165 Moore 15th, 174 Caldwell 19th, 184 Loder 4th . I know rankings are for us fans but it is nice to see our Panthers recognized. UNI team is ranked 19th. I have a tendency to believe the numbers behind each of these guys’ names will continue to get smaller along with the team. I truly believe we can add more names to this list as the year goes on. The literal “Cats” out of the Bag (Panther that is)! The Panther Train is Rollin’ destination Oklahoma City deep into the top ten!

GO PANTHERS

Re: Intermat rankings

When I look at these rankings and what we have here is what I see

125- Peters is a great wrestler but I do think he will take some lumps along the way, hopefully he is here at the end of the season, possibly an AA

133- Honestly we maybe have 2 AA quality wrestlers at this weight, I think Colon is ranked a little too low, probably based upon his situation, hopefully there are no more issues (I don't expect any) and he ends up top 4 at nationals, we do have a quality backup here

141- I see Joey Lazor as being the David Bonin figure this year, I think he see this as his last chance and I expect big things at nationals this year

149- Hiatt and Rieter are both capable of being ranked by the end of the year, and winning some matches in OKC

157- Jensen or Witte are both intriguing wrestlers to me, both have a lot of talent but need to be more consistent

165- Cooper Moore is the highest ranked freshman, that is exciting and I think that there are some big possibilities with him

174- Caldwell is more than a capable wrestler, honestly I was a little disappointed with his results last year, but I think there will be a lot of growth

184- Ed Ruth is suspend currently, I don't think anyone else at the 184 class would mind seeing him miss the entire season, Loder has been our best wrestler for 4 years, it is time for him to put it all together, I expect to be seeing him wrestle on Saturday night

197- I really don't know what to expect out of this weight, not our strongest weight, but I think we could surprise some people, I don't know if the NIACC transfer is ready, but he is a specimen

285- Krumwiede has been a disappointment, I have heard that it is a mental with him, I really expect Blaze to win the spot, and have an up and down season.
    Last edited by achrist70; 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
      When I look at these rankings and what we have here is what I see

125- Peters is a great wrestler but I do think he will take some lumps along the way, hopefully he is here at the end of the season, possibly an AA

133- Honestly we maybe have 2 AA quality wrestlers at this weight, I think Colon is ranked a little too low, probably based upon his situation, hopefully there are no more issues (I don't expect any) and he ends up top 4 at nationals, we do have a quality backup here

141- I see Joey Lazor as being the David Bonin figure this year, I think he see this as his last chance and I expect big things at nationals this year

149- Hiatt and Rieter are both capable of being ranked by the end of the year, and winning some matches in OKC

157- Jensen or Witte are both intriguing wrestlers to me, both have a lot of talent but need to be more consistent

165- Cooper Moore is the highest ranked freshman, that is exciting and I think that there are some big possibilities with him

174- Caldwell is more than a capable wrestler, honestly I was a little disappointed with his results last year, but I think there will be a lot of growth

184- Ed Ruth is suspend currently, I don't think anyone else at the 184 class would mind seeing him miss the entire season, Loder has been our best wrestler for 4 years, it is time for him to put it all together, I expect to be seeing him wrestle on Saturday night

197- I really don't know what to expect out of this weight, not our strongest weight, but I think we could surprise some people, I don't know if the NIACC transfer is ready, but he is a specimen

285- Krumwiede has been a disappointment, I have heard that it is a mental with him, I really expect Blaze to win the spot, and have an up and down season.

In response

125 - Agree. Big upside!

133 - Should be top 4. Do not believe LW is AA caliber right now. Possibly next season.

141 - Was close last season. Will he get over the hump to top 8? He depends on funk a lot. Will guys figure that out or is he so good at it that it won't matter?

149 - Neither of them are wrestling right now and may not for quite some time. Next wrestler in (Gunnar Wolfensberger?)

157 - Consistency for Witte. Jensen was undersized all season last year. One will step up and do a great job.

165 - Good wrestler. Should have a great season. Too early to tell where he belongs in the rankings.

174 - 23-4 before end of season slump. If he wrestles like that he will be fine.

184 - I hope he does wrestle on Sat night. He can beat any of those guys.

197 - The transfer is the best 197. Will Coach Schwab wrestle him? I would. This could be the best team UNI has had in quite a while. Unload all your guns.

HWT - The spot is Cabell's to lose. He is a different wrestler this season than last.

Comment

Colon at a different level and will keep climbing, ranking mean nothing to joe. This will be joe's last year and will be wrestling Saturday night along with Ryan loder. The first big match will be Wisconsin November 30, can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
          Colon at a different level and will keep climbing, ranking mean nothing to joe. This will be joe's last year and will be wrestling Saturday night along with Ryan loder. The first big match will be Wisconsin November 30, can't wait.
          I've had a few spats already this year with Sqwawkeye fans over my belief that Colon can definitely beat Ramos. I was never saying the he will flat out beat him, but of all people at 133 I see Colon as one of three who can beat him, due to his style being potentially really tough for Ramos to handle.

I HOPE they get the chance to wrestle, and I hope even more that he can zip some traps of some Sqwawk fans, sooner rather than later!

Comment

It sucks that we don't have a dual with Iowa again this year.

I know it would hard for Iowa and Iowa State to want to do this but I think that a triangular meet with the 3 instate schools each year would be a big draw. Maybe have this at Wells Fargo, or maybe rotate between schools.

Comment

I know it would hard for Iowa and Iowa State to want to do this but I think that a triangular meet with the 3 instate schools each year would be a big draw. Maybe have this at Wells Fargo, or maybe rotate between schools.
              I tend to be a bit thick-skulled at times, but I'm surprised that that thought has never occurred to me. I LOVE that idea, actually. That would be one of the big wrestling events of the year in the state.

I wonder if we shouldn't be emailing some "powers that be" to get them thinking about this?

Comment

I know the idea just came to me, I think that we are finally back on a level where we deserve to have an event like this, there have been years where this honestly was not the case.

I really think that at least 13,000 and probably more would fill Wells Fargo to see this.

Comment

I know the idea just came to me, I think that we are finally back on a level where we deserve to have an event like this, there have been years where this honestly was not the case.

I really think that at least 13,000 and probably more would fill Wells Fargo to see this.
                  Actually, probably closer to 16,000. I say this because when Iowa has big duals at home (ISU, Ok State, etc), they are almost always near sellouts, which is about 16,000.

Comment

It may take some influence from the Board of Regents or the Governor to make this happen because the schools seem to find ways to muck up ideas like this that we fans love.

Exhibit A: the Big 4 Classic.

Comment

I like this idea, with rotating between the 3 on campus sites. UNI could host every third year in the Dome.

Comment

For the love of god, don't do it at the well.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                          I've had a few spats already this year with Sqwawkeye fans over my belief that Colon can definitely beat Ramos. I was never saying the he will flat out beat him, but of all people at 133 I see Colon as one of three who can beat him, due to his style being potentially really tough for Ramos to handle.

I HOPE they get the chance to wrestle, and I hope even more that he can zip some traps of some Sqwawk fans, sooner rather than later!
                          believe me Joe, been waiting to get his chance at Ramos, it could happen as soon as the Midlands. i think Schwab should tweet Brands to make a daul like they are doing with Penn State!!! Also joe on a different level and we will see when Badgers come to town Nov 30th. i also had spats with those hawkeyes to they never really said anything when Joe tech-fall Cory Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                            believe me Joe, been waiting to get his chance at Ramos, it could happen as soon as the Midlands. i think Schwab should tweet Brands to make a daul like they are doing with Penn State!!! Also joe on a different level and we will see when Badgers come to town Nov 30th. i also had spats with those hawkeyes to they never really said anything when Joe tech-fall Cory Clark.
                            Graff will definitely pose a challenge. I hope that Colon has his defense on (or an offense that Graff can't keep up with), as Graff hits leg attacks relentlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                              Graff will definitely pose a challenge. I hope that Colon has his defense on (or an offense that Graff can't keep up with), as Graff hits leg attacks relentlessly.
                              Right I agree but you take Graffiti to the third period he has no conditioning, I realize he wrestled two of our guys last year and pinned them, joe a different wrestler then those two. I will go out to say Joe majors Graff. There's no way Graff will have a chance in West gymn,,, Joe on a mission this year. Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                              X