Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > General Sports Discussion Forums > Panther Posse Forum

Panther Posse Forum Discuss anything Panther Posse related.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Joepanther90

Default Guilty Pleasure: Iowa vs Montana

Is it me or has anyone else thought about going down to Kinnick and cheering on the Hawks this weekend? I have had quite a few conversations with other Panther alums & fans that remember the ugly game in Montana a couple years back. It was bad enough that we lost our heads but the treatment of the fans and the television crew was a bit over the top. Not to stir it up again, but several of us wondered out loud if "what goes around" would "come around" this week ON THE FIELD at Kinnick.

Let's play some football tonight Panthers!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Ryanoz77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepanther90 View Post
Is it me or has anyone else thought about going down to Kinnick and cheering on the Hawks this weekend? I have had quite a few conversations with other Panther alums & fans that remember the ugly game in Montana a couple years back. It was bad enough that we lost our heads but the treatment of the fans and the television crew was a bit over the top. Not to stir it up again, but several of us wondered out loud if "what goes around" would "come around" this week ON THE FIELD at Kinnick.

Let's play some football tonight Panthers!!!!
What the TV didn't show was their fans throwing video tapes at us. I'd rather eat my face than cheer for the Suckeyes!
Ryanoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoz77 View Post
What the TV didn't show was their fans throwing video tapes at us. I'd rather eat my face than cheer for the Suckeyes!
agreed........
ubuntuCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
jordana33

I'll be there. It'll be very nice to see Montana get it put on them.
jordana33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Marc Wigim
PN's Resident Band Dork

Send a message via AIM to Marc Wigim

Yes... Iowa needs to fulfill my dream of watching Montana get schooled in person.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
-Eldon Miller
Marc Wigim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
PantherFan

I'd much rather get Montana in the dome in the playoffs and do it ourselves.
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Or better yet...maybe Montana beats Iowa, and then if UNI can host throughout the playoffs, maybe UNI can beat Montana in the Dome. AND if UNI were somehow able to knock off ISU, could we call it a mythical state championship?
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
General_Panther

Send a message via AIM to General_Panther Send a message via MSN to General_Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
Or better yet...maybe Montana beats Iowa, and then if UNI can host throughout the playoffs, maybe UNI can beat Montana in the Dome. AND if UNI were somehow able to knock off ISU, could we call it a mythical state championship?
After seeing the Highlights of ISU's game against Toledo last night on ESPN and seeing the way that the Rockets Were able to score seemingly at will against the ISU Defense, I think we have a shot at beating the Clones. I mean think about it in the comming weeks ISU Plays UNLV(probably a win) and then TWO STRAIGHT ROAD GAMES against the Defending national Champion, and in State Rival Iowa. I see both of those games as a Loss, and if they Cyclone defense plays the way they did last night Against UNLV, who knows, Maybe ISU is 1-3 going into the UNI Game with their Hopes of a January Bowl YET AGAIN Foiled, I think the Panthers would be able to capitalize on that. Also with our Spread offense, and the ability to turn it into a pure running offense as well I look for a good contest on the 30th.

What a sweet day that would be for the Panther Faithful if we pulled off the Victory over the SUCKCLONES and then Swept them when Basketball Season comes. Oh and if We do win, It is my Solemn (Spelling) Vow to STORM THE FIELD at Jack Trice Stadium.
"You put some dumb red bird, a Hawkeye, and a Panther in a cage, and who do you think is going to win? The Panther would clearly rip the other two to shreds, eat them for dinner (although it would be a small meal for the monstrous beast) and spit out their feathers to make a pillow!"
General_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
I like your thinking!!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Matt Trump
PN social critique

I want Montana to put up a good showing because it will help gain more respect for I-AA in this state. UNI's play last year at Iowa helped out a lot last year and respect needs to be solidified by a strong showing by Montana.
Matt Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
ubuntuCAT

How bout Montana beating Iowa and UNI beating ISU???? would that do anythign for 1AA?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
jordana33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauserj View Post
How bout Montana beating Iowa and UNI beating ISU???? would that do anythign for 1AA?
That would be a huge shot in the arm for 1AA. But we all know Iowa is going to win this game by at least 35 points.

As for last night. Hail our Panthers, good start to the year. Love the new guys on offense, running back the opening kick of the year for a TD, can't start a year any better than that. Man this is going to be a fun season.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
NorthernIowaBacker

No way I want Iowa to beat Montana. Id rather stab myself in the face then root for the hawks. Hopefully Montana sticks it to em.
NorthernIowaBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
CIPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIowaBacker View Post
No way I want Iowa to beat Montana. Id rather stab myself in the face then root for the hawks. Hopefully Montana sticks it to em.
It's not always easy to root for the Hawks, but for this game it would be nice to see Montana go down in flames. I'm still sore about the way our team was treated there in the I-AA playoffs several years ago. Totally classless from the Griz.

What was almost as bad, some of us responded with the same lack of class. It was a rough one.

I have to say "Go Hawks" on this one.
CIPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
UNIAlum95
Purple and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordana33 View Post
That would be a huge shot in the arm for 1AA. But we all know Iowa is going to win this game by at least 35 points.
Several people, myself included, thought the same thing about the UNI / IA game last year...
If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times
UNIAlum95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
ubuntuCAT

I don't know about others but I really hate it when someone makes a comment like "we all know so-and-so is going to win by at least 35 pts" At least provide some reasoning for this analysis.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
Newsbreaker

Quote:
I don't know about others but I really hate it when someone makes a comment like "we all know so-and-so is going to win by at least 35 pts" At least provide some reasoning for this analysis.

I'm really not trying to be a Hawkeye jerk here, but Iowa is a team that some people are mentioning as having a shot at a National Championship. Montana is not a team capable of winning at that level.

I'm not saying Iowa is that good, but they need to have the worst day in their history, complete with Montana playing perfectly, to lose this game.

FWIW, I think Iowa is an all-or-nothing deal this year. They're either going to be near the top of the nation, or painfully average.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
jordana33

Quote:
Pretty simple. Iowa=Big Ten Power. Montana= 1AA good team. Montana has D1 transfers and will be a very good team this year. Iowa can go 4 deep with D1 players. Iowa is not going to contend for a national title. That is just not going to happen. But I don't think a shot at a big ten title is out of the question. Don't read too much into the Montana game. That was as vanilla an offense as I've seen in a long time. Their defense leaves a lot to be desired however.

On to more important matters. Everyone get your butts to the dome saturday.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
NorthernIowaBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordana33 View Post
Pretty simple. Iowa=Big Ten Power. Montana= 1AA good team. Montana has D1 transfers and will be a very good team this year. Iowa can go 4 deep with D1 players.
Actually Montana and all other D-IAA schools have a FULL roster of DI players and can go 4 deep with DI players. Get it right, get it tight.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIowaBacker View Post
Actually Montana and all other D-IAA schools have a FULL roster of DI players and can go 4 deep with DI players. Get it right, get it tight.

Backer, you're smarter then that. There are two places where DIA teams have an advantage over IAA schools...size and depth. As we saw with Iowa/Montana, and as we saw last year with UNI at Iowa, by sometime in the 2nd half, that depth really takes a toll on the IAA team.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #21
NorthernIowaBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbreaker View Post
Backer, you're smarter then that. There are two places where DIA teams have an advantage over IAA schools...size and depth. As we saw with Iowa/Montana, and as we saw last year with UNI at Iowa, by sometime in the 2nd half, that depth really takes a toll on the IAA team.
And so are you...I was just pointing out that he referred to them as just "d1" and not "DI-A transfers." You missed it yourself news.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #22
ubuntuCAT

I'm sorry for this rant but this is one topic that pisses me off and I fail to ever understand it. All I heard last year over and over and over and over (you get the point) was how the hawks were going to be contending for a National Championship. Oh and how Tate was going to win the heisman. We all know how those turned out. I agree it's not likely for a Montana victory, especially with their stud RB out but its hardly impossible.

Montana will definetly have to bring their A+ game but the hawks playing their worst game in history is not required for Montana to win. Take away UNI's turnovers and that game in IC last year would have been much different.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #23
Newsbreaker

Quote:
I'm sorry for this rant but this is one topic that pisses me off and I fail to ever understand it. All I heard last year over and over and over and over (you get the point) was how the hawks were going to be contending for a National Championship. Oh and how Tate was going to win the heisman. We all know how those turned out. I agree it's not likely for a Montana victory, especially with their stud RB out but its hardly impossible.

Montana will definetly have to bring their A+ game but the hawks playing their worst game in history is not required for Montana to win. Take away UNI's turnovers and that game in IC last year would have been much different.
UNI competed in that game, and played as well or better then we all probably hoped for...but it was going to take more then taking back those turnovers to change the scoreboard. Football is more complicated then that.

As we know, especially as we know, winning a National Championship in this game is not just about being the best team, but about many factors, of which luck and happenstance play a major role. This year, especially, at the DIA level, there are probably 12-17 teams that are good enough to, if many things go their way, win a National Championship. It's hard, impossible even, to slight a DIA team for failing to win a NC, considering the system they chose to employ.

Iowa could go 12-0 this year, but if two of the teams ahead of them do the same, they have no chance. Would that be a slight on their part?

When one man says "Iowa has a shot this year" it's easy to hear "Iowa is going to win a title this year." That level of scrutiny isn't applied to UNI fans, where every year we start dreaming of hoisting the big trophy, or we'd look much the same.

If Montana wins that game, it will rank as probably the biggest upset in the history of midwestern football, and one of the top 10 or 20 upsets in the history of football. That doesn't make Montana bad. Football is now a game of the "haves" and the "have nots." Iowa is one of those boys sitting near the top of the list of "haves."
Old 09-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #24
uninisg

As fans of division a I-AA football team, there is no question who we should be rooting for in this one. If you don't cheer for Montana tomorrow, then you must truely be a Hawkeye at heart and they have a place for you on Hawkeyenation.com. Go Grizz!!! Montana might be welcomed in Iowa City, but they won't be in Cedar Falls.
uninisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #25
CIPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninisg View Post
As fans of division a I-AA football team, there is no question who we should be rooting for in this one. If you don't cheer for Montana tomorrow, then you must truely be a Hawkeye at heart and they have a place for you on Hawkeyenation.com. Go Grizz!!! Montana might be welcomed in Iowa City, but they won't be in Cedar Falls.
uninisg - I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. We were not treated right in Montana several years ago. I am as big a Panther and I-AA fan as there is, but those things are not easy to forget.

I'll keep my spot right here on Panther Nation. Thank you. I've never been on Hawkeye Nation and don't intend to go there.

For Saturday, I say go Hawkeyes. I'll almost always root for the team from the state of Iowa with a few exceptions.
CIPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #26
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Thanks, I'm fine here.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #27
Flagship Girl

Send a message via AIM to Flagship Girl Send a message via MSN to Flagship Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Flagship Girl

Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened at Montana a few years ago? I wasn't around and so I don't know...
Flagship Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #28
UNIpanther99

The one thing I will say about this game, is that I'm shocked it's not on Mediacom... I thought for sure this would be the thing that put opinion over the top for them to pick up ESPNU. I was hoping for selfish reasons of course, because of the UNI basketball games on the channel.
UNIpanther99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #29
FMPanther
Dual-fan mother effer

Default Well, well...

Quote:

Well, well, I see this thinking rears its head again...

The real site is Hawkeye Report.........

Check archived threads for this discussion.

Sounds like Iowa is having some trouble today.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #30
Flagship Girl

Send a message via AIM to Flagship Girl Send a message via MSN to Flagship Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Flagship Girl

I have it on (not so much because I'm a fan of Iowa and I'm still not sure about Montana, but I enjoy Gary Dolphin's calling) and yeah...Iowa isn't getting the blowout that they were expecting.

6:44 in the third and it's only 17-7 Iowa...
Flagship Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
Cat Girl

Same with CFU, am I correct that you can only see it on ESPNU?
Cat Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #32
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Girl View Post
Same with CFU, am I correct that you can only see it on ESPNU?
CFU has ESPNU, on their digital package.

Mediacom did the right thing. Iowa would play on ESPNU maybe once every few years, at most. That's a high cost to air very few games. Plus, Mediacom is trying to 'reserve' space for the next "must have" channel...Big Ten TV. They can only realistically carry so many sports channels, adding two more is a step too far.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #33
jegbomb52

I sure do wish that Matt Trump would come to my house and watch the Iowa / Montana Game with me!
Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.
jegbomb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #34
Cat Girl

News, do you know what channel because I have the CFU HD package and it is no where to be found!!
Cat Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #35
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Girl View Post
News, do you know what channel because I have the CFU HD package and it is no where to be found!!
It's not on the HD package, but the digital cable package....channel 153.