Follow us on Twitter


Go Back   Panther Nation > UNI Alumni Forums > Announcements and Discussion

Announcements and Discussion UNI alumni related announcements and discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets
 
Bier Guy '99's Avatar
 
Last Online: 05-30-2015 10:31 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 301
Default Alumni Association

Quick question for Panther Nation... Are you a member of the Alumni Association?

I am co-chairing a membership effort within the Alumni Association Board of Directors with the ultimate goal of 25% participation by our alumni within 10 years. We currently sit somewhere around 7%. That's 7,000 people out of 100,000+ living alums. Iowa and Iowa State have roughly 20% participation by their alums.

If you are a member already, thank you, be sure to renew when the time comes. If not, please consider joining. Base memberships start at $35.

You can join here:
https://www.adv.uni.edu/alumassoc/me...rshipform.aspx

Thanks for your support!
Justin Bierman

GO PANTHERS!

Last edited by Bier Guy '99; 05-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
UNI MadCat
Senior Member
 
UNI MadCat's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 01:27 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,317
Default Re: Alumni Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier Guy '99 View Post
Quick question for Panther Nation... Are you a member of the Alumni Association?

I am co-chairing a membership effort within the Alumni Association Board of Directors with the ultimate goal of 25% participation by our alumni within 10 years. We currently sit somewhere around 7%. That's 7,000 people out of 100,000+ living alums. Iowa and Iowa State have roughly 20% participation by their alums.

If you are a member already, thank you, be sure to renew when the time comes. If not, please consider joining. Base memberships start at $35.

You can join here:
https://www.adv.uni.edu/alumassoc/me...rshipform.aspx

Thanks for your support!
Justin Bierman

GO PANTHERS!
Thanks Justin! It starts with a goal and a lot of time that important step is missed. Cool thing that you are doing!

Alumni Association is great. I've enjoyed meeting people and having events with people up in our Twin Cities' branch.
UNI MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
clenz
Senior Member
 
Last Online: 08-26-2016 04:07 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,962
Default Re: Alumni Association

My fiance just got her one year membership for graduating, and fully plans on keeping it after that is up. There are some amazing benefits with it also. I will be joining after I graduate as well
clenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:35 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,185
Default Re: Alumni Association

Lifetime member since 92 -its a deal, and they will pay over five years.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
pantherwatcher
Member
 
Last Online: 09-14-2008 06:33 PM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 124
Default Re: Alumni Association

Could you please explain the potential benefits of joining the AA? I'm not one for sending in personal accomplishments to see them printed in the back of the magazine or anything of that sort, but are there some black and white advantages I am missing out on? Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?
pantherwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
TH1974
Senior Member
 
TH1974's Avatar
 
Last Online: 01-06-2017 01:42 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,492
Default Re: Alumni Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherwatcher View Post
Could you please explain the potential benefits of joining the AA? I'm not one for sending in personal accomplishments to see them printed in the back of the magazine or anything of that sort, but are there some black and white advantages I am missing out on? Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?
Apparently there are some tangible benefits:

http://www.unialum.org/membership/benefits.shtml

I'd be tempted to shell out for the lifetime membership if it meant that they wouldn't call all the time asking me to join.
TH1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
UNI MadCat
Senior Member
 
UNI MadCat's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 01:27 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,317
Default Re: Alumni Association

I love that there is no shortage of complaining on here about UNI not ponying up to get the best coaches, best resources, etc yet at the same time people call into question the validity of something like the Alumni Association and complain about being asked for money.

Look people, this is a University that NEEDS MONEY... BADLY. Its never going to change and in fact will only get worse.

To not be able to afford to give is ok and understandable but to b!tch about the fact that they have the audacity to ask us for money is frankly, ignorant.

Could the university and the alumni association go about it in a different way? Perhaps. In fact, one suggestion I would make to the AA is to go after us with more of an emotional appeal. To answer the question of the "black and white benefits"... well, there are some of course, but they pale in comparison to what your donation can do for the school. Its completely the wrong mentality to take when basing whether or not to give, IMO.

This school needs its alumni to support it more and, for those of us who feel a connection to this University enough to post on this board, we shouldn't be dismissing the validity of donating regardless of "benefits".

UNI is a great school for most people and I for one donate because I want my University to remain a top-notch institution for the right type of student. Maybe that will be my kid some day. Who knows?

But, regardless, I dont make my decision based on the amount of discounts I can get from the bookstore. It doesnt work that way. Again, maybe this speaks more to the AA and how they promte themselves b/c, while I think some of the "black and white" benefits are cool, I'm guessing most of us utilize less than 5% of them. So really, their strategy should be more about pulling at my heart strings than worrying about what I'm getting back just for donating.

Maybe I'm wrong.
UNI MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets
 
Bier Guy '99's Avatar
 
Last Online: 05-30-2015 10:31 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 301
Default Re: Alumni Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherwatcher View Post
Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?
I confirmed with the office staff, that no, you do not get added to any additional call lists. If you are getting calls, it is because the university knows where you are. Also, UNIAA does not cold call as a part of it's membership recruiting. The calls you are likely getting are for the Dean's Fund and General Fund efforts. These are run by University Advancement (aka UNI Foundation).
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:35 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KC
Posts: 7,185
Default Re: Alumni Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
I'd be tempted to shell out for the lifetime membership if it meant that they wouldn't call all the time asking me to join.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You might get one less call per year, that being the AA. The general fund, your department, etc. are all still going to call, if they can find you.

If you really enjoy receiving credit card offers, this is one more list to be on... You would think they would get the hint after 16 years that I am not likely to signup.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
pantherwatcher
Member
 
Last Online: 09-14-2008 06:33 PM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 124
Default Re: Alumni Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNI MadCat View Post
I love that there is no shortage of complaining on here about UNI not ponying up to get the best coaches, best resources, etc yet at the same time people call into question the validity of something like the Alumni Association and complain about being asked for money.

Look people, this is a University that NEEDS MONEY... BADLY. Its never going to change and in fact will only get worse.

To not be able to afford to give is ok and understandable but to b!tch about the fact that they have the audacity to ask us for money is frankly, ignorant.

Could the university and the alumni association go about it in a different way? Perhaps. In fact, one suggestion I would make to the AA is to go after us with more of an emotional appeal. To answer the question of the "black and white benefits"... well, there are some of course, but they pale in comparison to what your donation can do for the school. Its completely the wrong mentality to take when basing whether or not to give, IMO.

This school needs its alumni to support it more and, for those of us who feel a connection to this University enough to post on this board, we shouldn't be dismissing the validity of donating regardless of "benefits".

UNI is a great school for most people and I for one donate because I want my University to remain a top-notch institution for the right type of student. Maybe that will be my kid some day. Who knows?

But, regardless, I dont make my decision based on the amount of discounts I can get from the bookstore. It doesnt work that way. Again, maybe this speaks more to the AA and how they promte themselves b/c, while I think some of the "black and white" benefits are cool, I'm guessing most of us utilize less than 5% of them. So really, their strategy should be more about pulling at my heart strings than worrying about what I'm getting back just for donating.

Maybe I'm wrong.
So it is "ignorant" to feel that the university should reduce the unsolicited begging calls that they pay minimum wage students to make at all hours of the evening? I'm sorry, but I don't want "little Lisa" calling me at 9:00 on a Thursday night to beg for cash, let me emphasize the "beg" part, while I am finally getting unwound after a full day of work. You want to talk about ignorant? How about when "Iowa's Best Muscle" opened up and their were students in the marketing department calling for DONATIONS for a private business. Was I "ignorant" to hang the phone up on them for soliciting MY hardearned dollar to GIVE to a "for profit" business? PUHLEASE. Honestly, there were students calling for DONATIONS for a for-profit business; where do I sign up for students who are working for nothing to make calls seeking donations for me to build a new house?

It is fine if YOU want to give whatever it is you give to UNI, but I am going to take a little more convincing before opening the purse strings.
pantherwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
GonzoCat
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Today 12:22 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,977
Default Re: Alumni Association

I belong. The best benefit is I get to sell ice cream at the Des Moines Arts Festival every year to raise scholarship money.

A couple years ago I got an insurance offer for UNI AA members with Liberty Mutual. For some reason I went ahead and called on it, I normally throw those things in the trash without opening. Saved me about $300 on my homeowners insurance and about $100 on my car.

Most of the other benefits are the same discount coupons you get with the PSC membership. I have a couple dozen or so unused at the end of every year. They're not of much use to people living outside the CV. I don't think you can use the half price ticket ones with phone orders.

I agree with whoever said you don't join these things for the benefits.
__________________
GO PANTHERS!
GonzoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
DrewDog
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 03:51 PM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,330
Default Re: Alumni Association

Lifetime member!
DrewDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets
 
Bier Guy '99's Avatar
 
Last Online: 05-30-2015 10:31 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 301
Default Re: Alumni Association

Thanks to everyone here who is a member. You really do make a difference in the programming and services the association can provide for the alumni and for the university.

If you ever have a question, idea or would like to volunteer for an event, please feel free to PM me.
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab
 
Panthers to the Bone's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 11:00 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,662
Default Re: Alumni Association

I enjoy the Jiffy Lube discounts.
__________________
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
Panther'73
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:08 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 2,301
Default Re: Alumni Association

also a lifetime member
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
alleycat
Senior Member
 
alleycat's Avatar
 
Last Online: 01-21-2017 11:14 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 1,366
Default Re: Alumni Association

Member and use the 10% discount at Beck's all the time.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
'70 Grad
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 04:46 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keota, IA
Posts: 1,186
Default Re: Alumni Association

Lifetime member since the early '70's. Real cheap back then!
__________________
Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.
'70 Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
Durf73
Member
 
Last Online: 01-02-2017 08:46 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Just South of the DOME
Posts: 451
Default Re: Alumni Association

Lifetime member since the late 70's !
__________________
"I know the CUBS will play in the world series one of these years, I only hope I'm still alive to see it !"
Durf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Panther-Sheik
Senior Member
 
Panther-Sheik's Avatar
 
Last Online: 10-16-2016 10:32 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 4,952
Default Re: Alumni Association

Member since about 1997...Great to assist my purple and gold with this and the PSC. No "extra convincing" necessary for me. Some of the beni's are great, but its called a "donation" for a reason.
__________________
Panther-Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #20
oldcat
Bleeds Purple And Gold
 
oldcat's Avatar
 
Last Online: 12-18-2009 11:14 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere North of the Dome
Posts: 1,170
Default Re: Alumni Association

Lifetime member since.............................
I use the library benefit a lot!!
__________________
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
oldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets
 
Bier Guy '99's Avatar
 
Last Online: 05-30-2015 10:31 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 301
Default Re: Alumni Association

I thought I would bump this thread. If you just graduated in May or you graduated decades ago, consider joining the Alumni Association. Your dues help fund numerous outreach programs such as the Regent Career Luncheon series, numerous affinity-based reunions, TC, and much more! Feel free to PM me with questions.

Justin
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
Mudrafan
Senior Member
 
Last Online: Yesterday 10:59 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,872
Default Re: Alumni Association

panther watch...it is not about "you". It's about UNI. Ignore TH as he is not a UNI fan anyway.
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


© Copyright 2004-2016 Panther Nation.  All rights reserved.
PantherNation.com is not affiliated with the University Of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panthers.