Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Panther Nation > Panther Sports Lounge

Panther Sports Lounge The #1 free message board for UNI Panther fans!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #36
UNI MadCat

Default Re: Beers Sales?

This article misrepresents the situation in Minnesota. They basically broke even in year one. They've made money ever since and keep expanding point of sale and offerings each season. Now some of that was helped by the fact that Vikings rented out TCF for two years and needed more POS areas. But still, every indication is that the demand is there and the money is real.

Also, the Dome is already capable of of selling beer since they do so for other events like concerts so some of the "issues" are taken care of.

I agree with those that say this is a no brainer. I wouldn't even care if they cordoned off one of end zone areas for sales.

I wouldn't hold out for much in the way of local/craft beer, however. In fact I'm guessing there is already a beer vendor contracted with the Dome that has rights.

Last edited by UNI MadCat; 08-02-2016 at 12:45 PM.
UNI MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #37
UNI MadCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
I'd like to see them test this out at a game this year.

I'd say Missouri State but that's Family Weekend so probably not the best time to "break the seal" on beer sales.

Maybe the South Dakota State game on Nov 19th.

Try it on a limited basis and see how it goes. See how the logistics work out. What kind of demand there is.

That will give you an ability to gauge if you can manage the logistics of the sales process, manage excess consumption, potential revenue and fan reaction. But you've done it as a pilot so you haven't committed to anything good or bad.

Would be a great promotional opportunity for a local brewer like Single Speed or one of the other dozens of brewers in Iowa to highlight their brand. Or ask one of the local Bud or Miller distributors to do a promotion and cut you a deal.
To me this would just set it up for failure. I think if you're going to do this, you go all in or nothing. The amount of planning is the same for one game vs all of the games. And if you just take a random game -- especially if its not the first game -- not enough people will know about it. And the school can't really actively promote it -- even if the climate is changing, you can't advertise it as "the Beer game".
UNI MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #38
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNI MadCat View Post
To me this would just set it up for failure. I think if you're going to do this, you go all in or nothing. The amount of planning is the same for one game vs all of the games. And if you just take a random game -- especially if its not the first game -- not enough people will know about it. And the school can't really actively promote it -- even if the climate is changing, you can't advertise it as "the Beer game".
Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally I'd want to have some experience with how this is working in reality...demand, operations, fan reaction...before I committed to something that can be so controversial.

I think it would be relatively easy to promote this ahead of time.

Last edited by Blue42; 08-02-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Blue42 is offline   Reply With Quote