Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Panther Nation > Panther Sports Lounge

Panther Sports Lounge The #1 free message board for UNI Panther fans!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
'70 Grad

Default Open Athletic Department positions??

With Steve Gearheart & Jean Berger gone, do we have any rumblings about replacements for our senior AD staff? David Harris is new (heck, he only got to work with the President who hired him for two months and now Ruud is gone). That leaves Steve Schofield and Kerry Dickerson as two of the long serving staff. Didn't the ticket manager leave again?

I guess if given a choice - I am glad our coaching staff is so stable. Plenty of changes in tennis, soccer, and track in the last ten years. The rest of the coaches seem like they are all #1 in seniority in their sport in the conference.

Last edited by '70 Grad; 06-27-2016 at 06:54 AM.
'70 Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default Re: Open Athletic Department positions??

Justin Schemmel is still here too, he's the other deputy AD. Jean Berger is also here until September.

I wouldn't be too concerned. There aren't many more fluid businesses than college athletics. Lots of talented people out there if/when openings happen
Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Panther'73

Are you sure Jean is here until September? Wouldn't she need to begin in August with the high school fall sports seasons?
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther'73 View Post
Are you sure Jean is here until September? Wouldn't she need to begin in August with the high school fall sports seasons?
Her official resignation date is 9/1. I would guess she won't be here all the way until then as she'll use accrued vacation and what not...
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Grad View Post
With Steve Gearheart & Jean Berger gone, do we have any rumblings about replacements for our senior AD staff? David Harris is new (heck, he only got to work with the President who hired him for two months and now Ruud is gone). That leaves Steve Schofield and Kerry Dickerson as two of the long serving staff. Didn't the ticket manager leave again?

I guess if given a choice - I am glad our coaching staff is so stable. Plenty of changes in tennis, soccer, and track in the last ten years. The rest of the coaches seem like they are all #1 in seniority in their sport in the conference.
Where/when is Steve leaving? I missed that.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Panther'73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
Where/when is Steve leaving? I missed that.
Steve is now in the UNI Foundation.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Steve is now in the UNI Foundation.
Thanks. When did that happen?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Panther'73

He went over in May...
Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
He went over in May...
Again, thanks '73.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
DrewDog

Steve was hired for a new position within the Advancement Division (Foundation & Alumni Association) - Associate Vice President of University Advancement, which is the #2 staff person for the Division. It is a good move by Lisa Baronio.
DrewDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
'70 Grad

So we may be short handed, administration-wise, going in to the fall? Quite a bit on Harris's plate to start the job. At least he can get the people he feels comfortable with. (And it is not like he is having to hire coaches already.)

Would be nice to have people who already know donors to get the Dome expansion started.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
Panther AC

Christina Roybal from Fresno State has been hired to fill Jean Berger's open position. Full details on unipanthers.com site.
Panther AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
'70 Grad

Hope she/family likes Iowa winters!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #14
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...8a9bf1dd8.html
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Is "Deputy Athletic Director" a standard job title?

And is it substantially different than "Associate Athletic Director" (which seems much more common)?
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
Is "Deputy Athletic Director" a standard job title?

And is it substantially different than "Associate Athletic Director" (which seems much more common)?
It would appear as though we have: Assistant Athletic Directors, Associate Athletic Directors, Deputy Athletic Directors, Directors, and Assistant Directors among different titled positions.
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
Panther AC

Former Panthers football player Jamar Thompson is taking Moose's old job at UNI.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats View Post
It would appear as though we have: Assistant Athletic Directors, Associate Athletic Directors, Deputy Athletic Directors, Directors, and Assistant Directors among different titled positions.
Sounds like an HR thing.

What we really need is an Assistant to the Associate Deputy Assistant Athletic Director.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #19
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
Sounds like an HR thing.

What we really need is an Assistant to the Associate Deputy Assistant Athletic Director.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats View Post
Our website shows 14 administrators. Many have assistant directors in their particular divisions and many have assistant/assistants. We have three concession facilitators that total $140,000 in wages, about what we generate in profits a year. We have 8 facilities directors, assistants, event managers, etc.

We may have to look to cut back on some of our administrative staff first before we look to cut coaching staffs, scholarships or sport essentials (equipment, travel).
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #21
UNIPanther007

Steve moving to the foundation side of things tells me that he was upset, like the others who left, with the direction the department was taking or upset he wasn't offered the AD job. I think the move was good for him professionally but still fishy for someone who bleeds purple to pretty much wash his hands of athletics.

I also do know that the position he had in athletics no longer exists from what I heard....the new person, who I believe will be Jamar Thompson, will just be in charge of major gifts for the department, basically facility upgrades, and not really any PSC stuff like Moose did.

Seems like a position that wasn't really needed at the associate AD level and is basically just another foundation fundraiser with an emphasis on athletics. Jamar is a nice guy and former athlete but was this necessary when we are facing serious budget cuts...especially when David will need to make most of the asks for larger gifts himself, not someone with less then 5 years of experience.

Troy and Moose knew the big donors personally and made an effort to cultivate and engage them and new ones...with that gone this is just an uphill battle with new people and little experience.

Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.
UNIPanther007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
'70 Grad

As has been stated earlier in the thread - its a pay raise for him, he did not apply for the AD job, etc.

I agree that new faces talking to major donors is not ideal (unless they did not like the old faces!)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #23
Panther'73

(/QUOTE)Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.[/QUOTE]

The PSC Staff would love more volunteers. Especially outside the Cedar Valley. You seem to have strong ideas about how it should be done. Email Kerry Dickerson - he'd love to talk with you.

Last edited by Panther'73; 07-27-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: left out word
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #24
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIPanther007 View Post
Maybe the PSC staff should stop over asking in this area and actually get out and focus on other areas of the region/US with heavy populations of panther fans and get them engaged and contributing annually. One event a year in various communities isn't getting it done for money coming in...the people outside this community who can't attend events on a regular basis need something other then that to motivate them to give money...and in most cases its just getting to know the staff if they would ever make an effort outside of the one event and maybe an e-mail every now and again. I know its easier said than done but all of the events are lame and don't motivate anyone to give other then those of us who do every year already.

If a campaign starts up the money will come...no new position was needed for this.

The PSC events are largely organized and executed by volunteers. If you are out of the Cedar Valley area and would like some PSC events where you live, it would be great if you would volunteer your free time to help get some of that going.

I don't know about you, but I hardly think its reasonable to ask people, who are already donating their time and money to the PSC, to go out and prospect the country for new donors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #25
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Steve moving to the foundation side of things tells me that he was upset, like the others who left, with the direction the department was taking or upset he wasn't offered the AD job. I think the move was good for him professionally but still fishy for someone who bleeds purple to pretty much wash his hands of athletics.

I also do know that the position he had in athletics no longer exists from what I heard....the new person, who I believe will be Jamar Thompson, will just be in charge of major gifts for the department, basically facility upgrades, and not really any PSC stuff like Moose did.

Seems like a position that wasn't really needed at the associate AD level and is basically just another foundation fundraiser with an emphasis on athletics. Jamar is a nice guy and former athlete but was this necessary when we are facing serious budget cuts...especially when David will need to make most of the asks for larger gifts himself, not someone with less then 5 years of experience.

Troy and Moose knew the big donors personally and made an effort to cultivate and engage them and new ones...with that gone this is just an uphill battle with new people and little experience.

Wow. Serious first post. Careful lest you pull a muscle in a typing finger. Try warming up a little.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #26
Blue42

Quote:

I admire and appreciate your passion.

But change is inevitable and I don't think it's fair to dismiss the efforts of this model until we give it a chance to work.

Perhaps it turns into a win/win for all. We'll judge it based on results.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #27
UNIPanther007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
The PSC events are largely organized and executed by volunteers. If you are out of the Cedar Valley area and would like some PSC events where you live, it would be great if you would volunteer your free time to help get some of that going.

I don't know about you, but I hardly think its reasonable to ask people, who are already donating their time and money to the PSC, to go out and prospect the country for new donors.
I agree....the same people are constantly being asked to give and volunteer...and even they will tell you they are burnt out. Time to stop making excuses of why something can't/won't work and actually try new things. The department also can't be afraid to ask people to help with things. People are willing to step up but many times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #28
Panther AC

Quote:
I agree....the same people are constantly being asked to give and volunteer...and even they will tell you they are burnt out. Time to stop making excuses of why something can't/won't work and actually try new things. The department also can't be afraid to ask people to help with things. People are willing to step up but many times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again.
Please give us three specific examples of "new things" you would like to see tried
and three incidences of "times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again". I am honestly interested in your views here.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #29
FOTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Please give us three specific examples of "new things" you would like to see tried

and three incidences of "times people have volunteered for things and felt more in the way or had a lack of organization so they shy away from getting involved again". I am honestly interested in your views here.

I'd love to hear the new things.

However, the second part may open a can of warms you may not be aware of. I've been trying to get involved with certain groups for years. Yet, for some reason never get the returned call (despite multiple attempts/meetings). I've found other ways to get involved so I'm fine. But I can fully understand how difficult it is to break into certain "volunteer" groups. To keep dirty laundry off the site I'll end there....
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #30
Panther AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTY View Post
I'd love to hear the new things.

However, the second part may open a can of warms you may not be aware of. I've been trying to get involved with certain groups for years. Yet, for some reason never get the returned call (despite multiple attempts/meetings). I've found other ways to get involved so I'm fine. But I can fully understand how difficult it is to break into certain "volunteer" groups. To keep dirty laundry off the site I'll end there....
Yes, I'd like to know about some "can of warms (sic)" concerning someone not being able to volunteer.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #31
FOTY

Wow... What did I type? Ufta. "Can of worms". Sorry.
Again, I don't choose to air that personal issue on here.
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
UNIPanther007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther AC View Post
Try charging the PSC board with actual tasks and being active....they are willing. I have many friends who are serving or have served on the board and the message is the same from them all...same meeting each month. Just to get updates and hear what the staff is going to do.

Rally in the Valley volunteers. Again, a fellow panther fan agreed to help set up for the event and when he got there it was mass chaos. no organization, no real job duties. He ended up standing around for an hour or so then just left because it was a waste of his time.

Fund drive volunteers...aka same group of people calling the same people asking for the same money as in previous years....like seriously what is the actual growth and retention rate of our supporters of the PCS...we have to just be all over the map from year to year. Pretty sure I've gotten the same generic e-mail from my caller the past few years...doesn't do anything. Try getting people on board to support our athletic teams from places outside of the Cedar Valley....and besides a few lame events sprinkled here and there thoughts the state to try and get visibility....it isn't working. Have some events in strategic areas that are actually going to specifically ask people to do something or for money...only way to get it is to ask directly...not just invite people to a UNI event and hope they have so much fun that they write a check...doesn't work that way.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #33
Panther'73

Quote:
Try charging the PSC board with actual tasks and being active....they are willing. I have many friends who are serving or have served on the board and the message is the same from them all...same meeting each month. Just to get updates and hear what the staff is going to do.

Rally in the Valley volunteers. Again, a fellow panther fan agreed to help set up for the event and when he got there it was mass chaos. no organization, no real job duties. He ended up standing around for an hour or so then just left because it was a waste of his time.

Fund drive volunteers...aka same group of people calling the same people asking for the same money as in previous years....like seriously what is the actual growth and retention rate of our supporters of the PCS...we have to just be all over the map from year to year. Pretty sure I've gotten the same generic e-mail from my caller the past few years...doesn't do anything. Try getting people on board to support our athletic teams from places outside of the Cedar Valley....and besides a few lame events sprinkled here and there thoughts the state to try and get visibility....it isn't working. Have some events in strategic areas that are actually going to specifically ask people to do something or for money...only way to get it is to ask directly...not just invite people to a UNI event and hope they have so much fun that they write a check...doesn't work that way.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO BE A PSC VOLUNTEER! If you are in the PSC what positive steps are you taking to help? As a PSC board member and volunteer, I take offense to your rant. Have you been a volunteer? Are you a PSC member? Did your friend ask what he could do or just stand there?

The last event we had, only 2 board members volunteered out of 15...

Rally in the Valley - I've helped with every Rally...not sure what time your friend showed up but it has never been disorganized. we knew exactly what to do and did it...

PSC is trying to do more outreach...held an event in Dubuque this fall. It went very well. You do realize it takes time, $$, and bodies to make an event happen.

It really irritates me you go on about the PSC yet have no idea what is really going on!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #34
DJ2TheHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstrue View Post
We are a team of professionals with many years of experience in manufacturing forged passports and other identity documents, the best producers of quality fake documents.

With more than 10 million documents circulating in the world.

We offer only original high qualities of true-false passport, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, international fake diplomas and other products for a number of countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain,United Kingdom.

Keywords:

fake USA(United States) passports,

fake Australian passports,

fake Belgium passports,

fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,

fake Canadian(Canada) passports,

fake Finnish(Finland) passports,

fake French(France) passports,

This list is not complete. For more information and to order contact us by email.

Contact email: consultant.doc@yandex.com

Skype id: Dr.koffi hassan
Can confirm, high quality products
DJ2TheHall is offline   Reply With Quote