Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets

Default Tressel Out at OSU

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/ta...l-resigns-2011
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
achrist70

Default Re: Tressel Out at OSU

No big surprise here, Ohio State trying to cover themselves, but I hope that the NCAA comes down HARD on them.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Bier Guy '99
Featuring Large Midgets

The only surprise for me is that it took this long.
Bier Guy '99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
lakesbison

look for Coach Bohl @ NDSU to offer Tressel a D Coord position, then you can have your coach back....
UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com
lakesbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
jnutt
Scared of the Purple Ace

Send a message via AIM to jnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier Guy '99 View Post
The only surprise for me is that it took this long.
not really. this is all about money. money for Ohio State and therefore money for the NCAA. They could have come down on him hard when this all came out but they needed the cash cow of Ohio State in the picture. They don't care or like the Utah's and Boise State's of the world. Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame are among the top if not THEE top programs in football. If they are doing well, more money for the NCAA. Boise State being in the Top 5 is great for fans but the NCAA hates it because they don't get the money they would with an Ohio State. If Ohio State had a loss or two more on there season then the NCAA would have come down harder. Kinda ironic the NCAA used them to make money off this, don't ya think?
jnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
look for Coach Bohl @ NDSU to offer Tressel a D Coord position, then you can have your coach back....

I think the vest already eyeing the video coordinator role at Minot College
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnutt View Post
not really. this is all about money. money for Ohio State and therefore money for the NCAA. They could have come down on him hard when this all came out but they needed the cash cow of Ohio State in the picture. They don't care or like the Utah's and Boise State's of the world. Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame are among the top if not THEE top programs in football. If they are doing well, more money for the NCAA. Boise State being in the Top 5 is great for fans but the NCAA hates it because they don't get the money they would with an Ohio State. If Ohio State had a loss or two more on there season then the NCAA would have come down harder. Kinda ironic the NCAA used them to make money off this, don't ya think?
To be fair, no one likes Utah or Boise St.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
achrist70

Quote:
This is the same theory that you hear during the NCAA tournament, the NCAA loves when there are a few big upsets during the first week of the tourney, but when it comes to the sweet 16 they hate for teams like Butler to keep winning. I am not saying that the NCAA influences referees but if UNI would have beaten Michigan State it would have meant less money for the NCAA.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
I'm pretty sure Tressel could just BE the NDSU football team and they'd win more games.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
9YRPLAN

people have called me retarded for this, but this cheating by tOSU doesnt really bother me. its comical how much money that NCAA football brings in but the players arent allowed to enjoy it a little bit.

if from the beginning the system had been set up as being a system truly focuses on "student-athletes" i would feel differently, but that thought is loooong gone so i simply enjoy college athletics knowing that most of the programs bend or break the rules a little.
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
How does the NCAA make money off FBS football?

Remember, NCAA has nothing to do the the bowls.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
people have called me retarded for this, but this cheating by tOSU doesnt really bother me. its comical how much money that NCAA football brings in but the players arent allowed to enjoy it a little bit.

if from the beginning the system had been set up as being a system truly focuses on "student-athletes" i would feel differently, but that thought is loooong gone so i simply enjoy college athletics knowing that most of the programs bend or break the rules a little.
I kind of agree. If some of these kids are being genuine and they needed the cash to help pay for rent, family expenses, etc... then I dont have a problem with it. However, some of the extra benefits like discounts on cars, trading in memorabilia for tattoos, stupid stuff like that and then Tressel and OSU trying to wiggle out of the situation I do have a problem with. The entire situation is just kinda messed up
Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
JayJ79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
How does the NCAA make money off FBS football?

Remember, NCAA has nothing to do the the bowls.
I don't really pay any more attention to FBS football than most on here pay to, say, womens tennis. But I doubt that the NCAA has nothing to do with the bowls. They hold oversight to some extent, and I'm sure they get a cut of the money somewhere along the line.
JayJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Idk how they couldnt. It's their teams, their stadiums (kinda) their "championship", their TV network deals...somewhere along the lines they get a cut of the $$. Whether it comes from the schools, networks or the Bowl committees I don't know, but I'm sure it doesn't just "appear"
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Newsbreaker

Quote:
This is non-sensical. The NCAA doesn't get any TV money from FBS football. The schools don't pay the NCAA anything for FBS football. The only way the NCAA benefits is through schools spending football money on non-revenue sports thus allowing them to operate.

How OSU does impacts the B1G Ten and Ohio State, but not "the NCAA". No matter the situation, the NCAA never acts quickly. Investigations and their version of "due process" takes time. There is little reason to believe, at this time, that they sat on anything to benefit anyone. If anything, the NCAA has made clear this week that there are no sacred cows in college football.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
9YRPLAN

dont get me wrong, they should be punished...i just find it hard to be up in arms about the whole deal.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbreaker View Post
This is non-sensical. The NCAA doesn't get any TV money from FBS football. The schools don't pay the NCAA anything for FBS football. The only way the NCAA benefits is through schools spending football money on non-revenue sports thus allowing them to operate.

How OSU does impacts the B1G Ten and Ohio State, but not "the NCAA". No matter the situation, the NCAA never acts quickly. Investigations and their version of "due process" takes time. There is little reason to believe, at this time, that they sat on anything to benefit anyone. If anything, the NCAA has made clear this week that there are no sacred cows in college football.
well said...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
jnutt
Scared of the Purple Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbreaker View Post

really, the NCAA doesn't make any money off TV? really?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
jnutt
Scared of the Purple Ace

also they let the players play even though they knew they violated rules. they suspended them for the FOLLOWING year. That is insane. We know you broke the rules but we'll punish you in the future?! Ohio State doing well = ratings = more advertising dollars.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
Newsbreaker

Quote:
really, the NCAA doesn't make any money off TV? really?
There isn't a single NCAA FBS football TV contract. Each conference, and below that some schools, sign TV contracts. The NCAA doesn't own the TV rights to a single down of Division I football other than the FCS playoffs. The schools own their TV rights which are, most of the time, assigned to the league.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #21
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html

Absolutely a MUST read article. Guy has been dirty from day ONE, going back to his assistant days at OSU, and his HC days at YSU.

Quote:
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
UNI83
Class of 2005

Hope his records, and titles, at YSU get yanked.
UNI83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
jnutt
Scared of the Purple Ace

Tressel, Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, John Calipari, etc. Should we really be surprised at this point. Is there anything clean in major college athletics? Seems like the guys who commit the crimes get away with some bad press while their schools pay big time after they leave. Taking away wins doesn't do squat. The team that gets the title handed to them doesn't get anything. Part of winning is having the feeling, accomplishment, and celebrating with your teammates. Seems like they need to crack down on the recruiters or guys setting the kids up for failure (or to get paid). Can we clean this mess up? Do we really want to at the risk of finding out guys we thought were clean were just as dirty as the rest? If everyone is dirty, does it really matter?

I guess taking away recruits is one way. But it really doesn't change the past.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
9YRPLAN

Quote:
Tressel, Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, John Calipari, etc. Should we really be surprised at this point. Is there anything clean in major college athletics? Seems like the guys who commit the crimes get away with some bad press while their schools pay big time after they leave. Taking away wins doesn't do squat. The team that gets the title handed to them doesn't get anything. Part of winning is having the feeling, accomplishment, and celebrating with your teammates. Seems like they need to crack down on the recruiters or guys setting the kids up for failure (or to get paid). Can we clean this mess up? Do we really want to at the risk of finding out guys we thought were clean were just as dirty as the rest? If everyone is dirty, does it really matter?

I guess taking away recruits is one way. But it really doesn't change the past.
is it fair to lump tressell in with those guys? he was being willfully blind. the other dudes had their hands all sorts of dirty.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
is it fair to lump tressell in with those guys? he was being willfully blind. the other dudes had their hands all sorts of dirty.
You obviously did not read the story.

Quote:
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #26
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:
I dont agree with that statement but even so how is turning a blind eye to that sort of thing "better" than some of the other stuff we've seen recently. It's still a disgrace to the integrity of college athletics.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
Silent Earl
Ghost

Big money corrupts. Period. That's one of the seldom mentioned benefits of the old progressive income tax system. It largely eliminated the desire to cheat, lie, steal, murder, whatever for big money.
Silent Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
UNIpanther99

I feel like I need a shower after reading the SI article. Tressel and OSU deserve anything the NCAA can throw at them.

That said, you sure don't see other big time coaches rushing to the microphone to condem this... Most of them are probably scared to have reporters start snooping around their program.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Earl View Post
Big money corrupts. Period. That's one of the seldom mentioned benefits of the old progressive income tax system. It largely eliminated the desire to cheat, lie, steal, murder, whatever for big money.
Earl, that's just a dumb statement regarding the lack of motivation because of the progressive income tax. I would hope for better out of you.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Sorry .
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
9YRPLAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther-state View Post
I dont agree with that statement but even so how is turning a blind eye to that sort of thing "better" than some of the other stuff we've seen recently. It's still a disgrace to the integrity of college athletics.
because he didnt pay $200,000 to get a star QB and win a national title.

look at the names mentioned....all of them would have ended up at tOSU regardless of any extra benefits, and pryor was getting some bennies whereever he went whether it was football or hoops.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
SteinPizza

Quote:

look at the names mentioned....all of them would have ended up at tOSU regardless of any extra benefits, and pryor was getting some bennies whereever he went whether it was football or hoops.
I heard Barry Switzer say basically the same thing. My opinion, that line of thinking is BS. Enforce the rules as written. If the system is broke, then change the rules in the future, but enforce what's there now.

Tressel being forced out probably means it's a smoke/fire situation. It also probably gives more credibility to whatever dirt was dug up by SI. This situation with the car dealers could really come back to bite them.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
9YRPLAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
I heard Barry Switzer say basically the same thing. My opinion, that line of thinking is BS. Enforce the rules as written. If the system is broke, then change the rules in the future, but enforce what's there now.

Tressel being forced out probably means it's a smoke/fire situation. It also probably gives more credibility to whatever dirt was dug up by SI. This situation with the car dealers could really come back to bite them.
thats not what i was arguing. i was saying that i personally dont lump tressell in with the cam newtons/caliparis in the world of cheating
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #34
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

Quote:

Allowing players to break rules, like taking illegal gifts from donors, etc...and not reporting it, is still pretty bad. Covering up something like that just so that those players can continue to win you games is very disappointing. May not be the worst offense in college sports but you shouldn't allow something to go unpunished just because it isn't the worst offense.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #35
achrist70

I really like the comparison to Nixon and Watergate. Truthfully if Nixon would have stepped up after Watergate happened and explained to the U.S. what happened he would have probably been alright and kept his job. The covering up of Watergate is what eventually led him to resign as the President. I think Tressel would have came forward when things happened and not lied to the NCAA, he would have been punished, but he would still be the coach in Columbus.