Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > UNI Alumni Forums > Announcements and Discussion

Announcements and Discussion UNI alumni related announcements and discussions.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
GoPanthers85

Default Ungreatful Panthers

This weekend brought to light one of things that really bugs me as a panther. The fact that people who went to and graduated from UNI don't give back to the school, and some people really take it a step further and donate money to a different school namely Iowa. I have asked these people why they do it I always get the same answer, because I'm a hawkeye fan. Then my next question is why didn't you go to Iowa in the first place, once again I usually get the same response, UNI had a better program (for whatever they did).

This is what really drives me crazy! I know not everybody can donate to the PSC or the general fund and I am fine with that. But when you give your money to a school that had nothing to do with your education, that is just stupid.

I'm just blowing off some steam, with all the budget cuts the school and athletic department are having to make, it would be nice to get money from those that went to the school. Now it's time for your thoughts Panther Nation. As always GO PANTHERS!
GoPanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Panther789

Default Re: Ungreatful Panthers

I don't know why somebody around here didn't bring this up sooner.
Panther789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
9YRPLAN

would you rather have had them also give their tuition to iowa?
9YRPLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
GoPanthers85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
would you rather have had them also give their tuition to iowa?
Sure, if that person doesn't come that just leaves room for one other person to come to the school. They only have so many spots per year and they always have more than that apply so I wouldn't be a big deal to get someone else to fill that spot.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
TH1974

This should be good.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
Sure, if that person doesn't come that just leaves room for one other person to come to the school. They only have so many spots per year and they always have more than that apply so I wouldn't be a big deal to get someone else to fill that spot.
I'm quite confident that UNI isn't turning qualified applicants away, and the formula for determining applicability isn't based upon current enrollment.
Newsbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
GoPanthers85

No, but I would imagine it plays a part in it. If 9,000 qualified people apply next year UNI doesn't have room for that many freshman. I know not that many people will apply, but you get my point.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
TH1974

Quote:
No, but I would imagine it plays a part in it. If 9,000 qualified people apply next year UNI doesn't have room for that many freshman. I know not that many people will apply, but you get my point.
Yeah, I think we all get your point.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Newsbreaker

Quote:
No, you are wrong.

Here is the page explaining the evaluation method.

Quote:
Applicants who achieve at least a 245 RAI score and who meet the minimum high school course requirements are guaranteed admission.

The RAI score does not have a component for "demand."
Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbreaker View Post
No, you are wrong.

Here is the page explaining the evaluation method.

Quote:
Applicants who achieve at least a 245 RAI score and who meet the minimum high school course requirements are guaranteed admission.
The RAI score does not have a component for "demand."
Needs to be changed to this, obviously:

Quote:
Applicants who aren't Iowa fans, achieve at least a 245 RAI score and who meet the minimum high school course requirements are guaranteed admission.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
9YRPLAN

there are plenty of students at every school who are not athletic supporters of that school.

your problem is that its iowa, nothing more.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
there are plenty of students at every school who are not athletic supporters of that school.

Boy, another swing and miss for 9yr.

The OP wasn't specifically talking about athletics. The discussion is about people who go to a certain school, but donate money to a another school.

Hawk fans are out in full force already to argue in this thread.

Quote:
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
panther1

I don't feel a need to join the Scholarship Club, but I do buy tickets to individual games. I also do not give money directly to UNI when solicited by telemarketers. I'm a resident of Iowa, so I already support the school. I am financially comfortable, but that is more from hard work than a degree from UNI. More power to those who contribute, but it is not for everyone. There are a lot of 'needs' out there that a donation can help, and I feel there are much more productive charities than a public university like UNI. If public schools need more money, they should ...*gasp*... raise tuition. A college degree (or athletic scholarship for that matter...) is not a right, it is a privilege.

Note: I do not donate to Iowa either... and I fully support and have respect for those who feel inclined to contribute to UNI.
panther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
Kyle

LOL. Half of the posts in this thread are from the only three Hawkeye apologetics on the board.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
UNI Prof

Quote:
I'm quite confident that UNI isn't turning qualified applicants away, and the formula for determining applicability isn't based upon current enrollment.
They had enrollment caps for several years (during Koob, I believe).
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
LOL. Half of the posts in this thread are from the only three Hawkeye apologetics on the board.
Thank you for the valuable and substantive contribution.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Kyle

Quote:
Thank you for the valuable and substantive contribution.
Thank you for replying to my valuable and substantive contribution with a even more substantive and valuable contribution.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

If people could stop polluting this great thread with invaluable posts that do not contain great substance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
Newsbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Thank you for replying to my valuable and substantive contribution with a even more substantive and valuable contribution.
I've already provided more substance in this thread than anyone else. Until the rest of you step up to the plate (for the first time in history, for most of you) then I pretty much own it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
FOTY

Quote:
This weekend brought to light one of things that really bugs me as a panther. The fact that people who went to and graduated from UNI don't give back to the school, and some people really take it a step further and donate money to a different school namely Iowa. I have asked these people why they do it I always get the same answer, because I'm a hawkeye fan. Then my next question is why didn't you go to Iowa in the first place, once again I usually get the same response, UNI had a better program (for whatever they did).

This is what really drives me crazy! I know not everybody can donate to the PSC or the general fund and I am fine with that. But when you give your money to a school that had nothing to do with your education, that is just stupid.

I'm just blowing off some steam, with all the budget cuts the school and athletic department are having to make, it would be nice to get money from those that went to the school. Now it's time for your thoughts Panther Nation. As always GO PANTHERS!
I like your post, but have to point out that you forgot one piece....
When UNI is in the spotlight (whether than be a #1 rated undefeated FB team or a sweet 16 appearence) these are often the same people to break out their purple and gold for a few weeks and brag about their college experience.

Personally, I've accepted those people for their team affiliations. The people I know in this situation grew up as Hawk/Clone/Husker fans and UNI will always be #2. However, I am certain to remind each of them of their experience when UNI is on the front page of the sports section and request a PSC donation. And, guess what, it's worked four times (actually 2 - two were to save the BB team which wasn't needed).

I know your OP was about more than athletic donations, but that is common ground and an easier sell with that group.

Last edited by FOTY; 07-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTY View Post
I know your OP was about more than athletic donations, but that is common ground and an easier sell with that group.
Was it really?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
FOTY

Wow. Really TH? I'll bold pieces of the quote for you.
06Panther and Panther1 also mentioned this in the tread.

Quote:

Just another post adding no value to the thread.... thanks TH.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
Newsbreaker

Don't mess with FOTY. He is NOT to be trifled with.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
GoPanthers85

FOTY two things-

1. In your first post it sounds like you are calling me a fairweather fan? I have never put any other team before UNI.

2. My orginal post is not really geared towards athletic donation, but just that people donate to other schools than the ones they went to. Yes athletic donations are the most common.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #25
FOTY

Quote:
FOTY two things-

1. In your first post it sounds like you are calling me a fairweather fan? I have never put any other team before UNI.

2. My orginal post is not really geared towards athletic donation, but just that people donate to other schools than the ones they went to. Yes athletic donations are the most common.
Not you - just based on others I've personally witnessed.
On #2, see the last line in italics. My friends tend to be athletic focused so it is an easier sell. I understand the intent of your post. TheHawk1974 on the other hand.....
Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
casbern
Purple for Life

While I agree with the OP, the only way to change this trend is to just do it. Personally I give to PSC and the Alumni Foundation, while it may be close to the minimum, it's all that I can give. If you give, you are more likely to change the minds of those who don't. So, again.. I understand, but keep the nose to the grind stone and just be a proud Panther and continue to contribute. Soon enough, and we have made leaps and bounds, we will be in a better donor situation, both PSC and Alumni Foundation.

casbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #27
Panther-Sheik

Everyone has to make their own decisions on what they choose to donate their hard-earned money towards. My mom had breast cancer, so I donate money to that. I love my church and believe in their mission, so I donate / tithe. I love my UNI experience and look back on it very fondly so I support the alumni association / general fund every year. And I love my Panthers, the product they put on the field and what they represent in our community and our state so I choose to donate money and time to the PSC, too. I could give two squirts about the Cyclones, Hawkeyes, Republicans or Democrats so they don't get my money. Simple decisions. Give where your passions lie and you will make a difference and feel better all around.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #28
Panther'73

well said Panther-Sheik.
Panther'73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
9YRPLAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
Boy, another swing and miss for 9yr.

The OP wasn't specifically talking about athletics. The discussion is about people who go to a certain school, but donate money to a another school.

Hawk fans are out in full force already to argue in this thread.
really? thats why he mentioned the "because im a hawkeye fan" comment??? are the chemistry and literary teams also known as the hawkeyes now?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #30
Durf73

If you graduated from UNI & don't donate back that is really to bad but forgivable. If you graduated from UNI & you give to UNI & other schools okay, but if you graduated from UNI and U are donating to other colleges & not to UNI that s**ks! : I really don't care if it is to athletics or the college in general, but think about it if alumni at some point in time had not given back to UNI then you might not have even had your college experience in Cedar Falls. If alumni had not supported the dome back in the 70's then we might not have the great facility that we have today. UNI grows & improves because of alumni donations, not simply because of tax dollars.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
jegbomb52

Quote:

His problem (and mine) is that its not Iowa, its that another school is receiving monetary support. It could be Iowa, it could be USC for a grad that has moved to Southern California, it could be Oregon for an alum that has moved to Eugene. As much as you think people are over sensitive toward the Hawks, you are just as much over sensitive in the reverse.

It drives me nuts how quickly people forget the origin of college athletics and their mission, it has to do with YOUR SCHOOL, the school were you choose to receive YOUR ACADEMICS, not who was on channel 17 when you were growing up. Everyone *****es about how CF sucks on Saturday, and how IC is awesome (or other venues for that matter), if all the people with diplomas trimmed in purple and gold would stay, give, and be passionate in CF on Saturday afternoons instead of doing it in IC, CF would be cool to them to. It is ALL social, don't let anyone try to sell you any honkey that might be different.
Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Last edited by jegbomb52; 07-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.
jegbomb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
9YRPLAN

so you would have gone to UNI had iowa offered a full ride for football? cool.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #33
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
so you would have gone to UNI had iowa offered a full ride for football? cool.
What?

How in gods name is that your response to Jeg's post? Once again, a big whiff by you.

Did you get kicked in the head this week or what?

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #34
9YRPLAN

because he choose HIS SCHOOL based on HIS ACADEMICS and the original mission of college

its not my fault you cannot comprehend anything deeper than emoticons.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #35
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

LOL, yeah its me...

Quote: