Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Sports

Panther Men's Sports Discuss all men's sports not covered by specific forums.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
ProwlingPanther

Default AD upset about student turnout

Glad it isn't just a UNI problem. Cool to see Mich St be proactive with this challenge. I wish UNI was more proactive in addressing this issue. Of course, winning games and having relevant programs helps.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tudent-section
ProwlingPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Default Re: AD upset about student turnout

The customer is always right. Find a way to entice the students to stay, other than an attempted public shaming.
Trapped in California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Panther-Sheik

As a business owner I can tell you that the customer definitely isn't always right. But you do have to figure out how to work within the confines of your customer and their attitudes. That is something that is rapidly evolving and devolving in college (and pro) athletics. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. Schools have been expanding their stadiums to try to get "bigger and badder" while ticket sales, especially student sales, have gone down year over year at many schools. I only see this attendance trend worsening and maybe the new norm becomes smaller stadiums and bigger tv contracts. In a way it is a fitting result for these big schools that have sold their souls to TV for the huge checks but now can't get people to stop watching the exact thing that is paying them millions and millions to actually come and support their teams in person.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

I know the customer is not always right (Business owner for 11 years) - they just need to buy into the idea that you believe that maxim.
Trapped in California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

The tone is set by those of us who are more serious fans. When we arrive late and leave early (or don't come back after halftime), we send a message that attendance at the game is not a priority.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
PantherChic

You definitely have a point to consider UNIdadtobe

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProwlingPanther View Post
Of course, winning games and having relevant programs helps.
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Plainsmen Panther
Plainsmen Panther

Some of the student attendance or interest problems extends from high school. Check attendance or participation at your local high school & see what it looks like. I bet it is not even close to the 70's or 80's. If they do not develop the love for being a fan or an athlete in high school, there is a good chance they won't become a fan in college!
Plainsmen Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

It takes student leaders. If true student leaders take the initiative, then students will follow. Not wannabe leaders who are just padding their resumes with "leadership" roles, but real leaders, like stars of other teams, upperclassmen in the frats, etc. Maybe take lessons or tie in with the great leadership that is shown for other things, like Dance Marathon.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Neighbor

If students are disconnected today, where will the alumni base be in 30 years?
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
'70 Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
If students are disconnected today, where will the alumni base be in 30 years?
Oh Oh!

Good (bad) Point
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
PantherHawk

Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years. Everything is on TV now and so people are choosing to stay home instead of fighting the traffic and the tailgating. Plus with all the tailgating restrictions and making the seating space smaller, its going to end bad for them. I actually heard some BCS program was trying to upgrade their Wifi system so that students could have access to wifi during the games?? WTF?

Plus all the conference expansion isn't helping, I mean you have teams from 12-15 hours away playing each other and its difficult for fans to travel that far. The ISU vs Iowa game was a sell out and the UNI vs Iowa game was close to a sell out. The instate games get people to the games, but these teams coming from across the country, no one cares about them.

But like someone else said, if you win the problem resolves it self.
PantherHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherHawk View Post
Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years. Everything is on TV now and so people are choosing to stay home instead of fighting the traffic and the tailgating. Plus with all the tailgating restrictions and making the seating space smaller, its going to end bad for them. I actually heard some BCS program was trying to upgrade their Wifi system so that students could have access to wifi during the games?? WTF?

Plus all the conference expansion isn't helping, I mean you have teams from 12-15 hours away playing each other and its difficult for fans to travel that far. The ISU vs Iowa game was a sell out and the UNI vs Iowa game was close to a sell out. The instate games get people to the games, but these teams coming from across the country, no one cares about them.

Regardless the schools are always going to take the guaranteed TV money. Might see ticket prices coming down some in the future or more of a switch increasing amenities (more luxuries) instead of cramming as many people as possible in stadium.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
TH1974

Quote:
Another problem is for the bigger schools is all the games are TV now. Why go and sit in a stadium for 3 1/2 hours, when you can sit at home and watch it on TV? U of Iowa and other Bigger BCS schools are going to have issues in about 10 years.
10 years? It's happening right now, and I don't blame fans. Ticket prices have been rising for years and the conferences have been emphasizing the importance of the big TV deals and how great TV is. They shouldn't b itch now that fans want to stay home and watch on TV.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
PantherHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
10 years? It's happening right now, and I don't blame fans. Ticket prices have been rising for years and the conferences have been emphasizing the importance of the big TV deals and how great TV is. They shouldn't b itch now that fans want to stay home and watch on TV.
Yeah I know, I just think over the next few years its going to get worse.

Anyone have issues this past weekend when PSU vs Michigan was blacked out on ESPN2? Could they do that at some point? Say if ticket sales are dwindling, could they black out a college game? I don't know the College football rules regarding that issue.

I personally would like to see ESPN show more FCS games on Saturdays. With the Big Ten, SEC, Big XII, and other networks, that should open some space to showcase some of the other schools in the area. I liked that a local station carried the UNI game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they do that more often.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
I liked that a local station carried the UNI game a few weeks ago. Hopefully they do that more often.
All of the UNI home games are carried locally and online (for a fee) this year.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
PantherHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
All of the UNI home games are carried locally and online (for a fee) this year.
I know I am not local to CF, so I would have to watch on my Computer and it isn't the same. Wish I understood technology enough to hook up my computer to my Big Screen.

It was our local fox station that picked up the UNI game. I am hoping they will do the same for the NDSU game in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
I know I am not local to CF, so I would have to watch on my Computer and it isn't the same. Wish I understood technology enough to hook up my computer to my Big Screen.

It was our local fox station that picked up the UNI game. I am hoping they will do the same for the NDSU game in a couple of weeks.
Where you located? Pretty sure it's the same coverage for every game

KCRG 9.2, CFU 15, WOI 5.2, KCAU 9.2, KGCW 26
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #19
PantherHawk

Illinois side of the Quad Cities. I have Direct TV so the last time it was on channel 24 which was nice!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
Luther_Heggs

I've watched some UNI games on the WatchESPN app and used chromecast to send it to the TV. It looks like the UNI-SDSU game will not be on the app this weekend. So, it won't work out for you with UNI this weekend. On the other hand, it's a pretty nice way to watch college football. Anyway, other MVFC games that will be on WatchESPN this weekend:

Indiana State vs. North Dakota State
Illinois State vs. Western Illinois
South Dakota vs. Missouri State
Luther_Heggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
TH1974

Quote:
Anyone have issues this past weekend when PSU vs Michigan was blacked out on ESPN2? Could they do that at some point? Say if ticket sales are dwindling, could they black out a college game? I don't know the College football rules regarding that issue.
I'm sure it could be written into future contracts with individual conferences, but I can't imagine ESPN or other networks would want to sign on for that.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
northwest iowa panther

Don't underestimate the online student for their disconnect. We may have 12,000 that are students at UNI, but a number of them are never on campus or have any connection to the University other than graduation. I read an article that estimated that in 10 years 25% of the enrolled college students will not actually attend a college or university, but will receive a 4 year degree on line and their only connection will be at graduation. It is a problem developing with schools like UNI--do you build dorms or commit to the internet as a viable way to induce students. Fewer and fewer students (mostly do to cost) are not wanting the college experience but still want a four year degree they can get on line. Those same students are not going to buy a football season ticket.
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

While this seems to be the national trend, it doesn't seem to be true in Ames. Games are on TV and they don't win, yet the crowds stay strong.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
PantherHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
Don't underestimate the online student for their disconnect. We may have 12,000 that are students at UNI, but a number of them are never on campus or have any connection to the University other than graduation. I read an article that estimated that in 10 years 25% of the enrolled college students will not actually attend a college or university, but will receive a 4 year degree on line and their only connection will be at graduation. It is a problem developing with schools like UNI--do you build dorms or commit to the internet as a viable way to induce students. Fewer and fewer students (mostly do to cost) are not wanting the college experience but still want a four year degree they can get on line. Those same students are not going to buy a football season ticket.
I had a teacher in high school who used to say the same thing. He was against online classes for kids coming from high school. He thought that kids 18-22 should attend college and experience the "college lifestyle". He did say that parents and people who work for a living and are going back to school could and would benefit from online classes. He just thinks that most young adults do not need online and need to be exposed to college.

He also thought that most kids in that age group would struggle with online classes as they are "go at your own pace" type of classes and there is no one there monitoring you or your work.

It was funny if you ever wanted to get him going, just start talking about online something and he would go off. It would usually take up a chunk of our class time.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
PantherHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
While this seems to be the national trend, it doesn't seem to be true in Ames. Games are on TV and they don't win, yet the crowds stay strong.
That is true, some teams have strong fan bases and have not increased their ticket prices so its affordable for their fans.

Some of the other BCS programs though it would be a good idea to raise ticket prices and now have made attending games cost too much and now its cheaper and easier to stay at home and watch.

I just think with everything on TV, some of these conferences are going to see their attendance go down. They are going to need to change something in order to keep fans in the seats.

Speaking from experience the TV timeouts are way too long. My god you sit there 3-4 minutes with nothing happening on the field and it seems now there are more of them. It used to be at the end of the quarter, and sometimes during a team Time-out. Now its every change of possession and turnovers, and after Touchdowns. It kills the atmosphere.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #26
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Iowa State is putting through pretty significant price increases for Football and Basketball next year. We'll see how that goes on the football side coming off another 3 or 4 win season.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #27
Panther-Sheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Iowa State is putting through pretty significant price increases for Football and Basketball next year. We'll see how that goes on the football side coming off another 3 or 4 win season.
This ^^ Might go over OK in the first year just "because" (new stadium expansion etc.), but what is fair market value on a ticket to see a team that loses 2 out of 3 games pretty consistently? Raising prices sets a new expectation among fans and can turn on you in a hurry.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #28
GonzoCat

They've already raised them quite a bit since Pollard got there I think, and they've only gotten more popular. Don't underestimate the power of the millions in free publicity they get from Iowa media/corps. The constant promotion of the rivalry between the other two in-state universities benefits them both greatly.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Iowa State is doing some good things to keep the fan pipeline flowing. For instance, on Saturday, they are having a dunk contest and 3-point contest, then showing the Texas football game at Hilton. Free.

They also have shown a kid's movie at Jack Trice Stadium during the summer.

And the fan fest (interactive experiences with the players/coaches and autograph signing) draws thousands.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #30
TH1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
They also have shown a kid's movie at Jack Trice Stadium during the summer.
Makes sense. They usually have clown shows there on Saturdays during the fall.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #31
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1974 View Post
Makes sense. They usually have clown shows there on Saturdays during the fall.
Well done.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #32
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
Well done.
Kinnick had one this year, too. That was the funniest one I've seen in a while.

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is online now   Reply With Quote