Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Sports

Panther Men's Sports Discuss all men's sports not covered by specific forums.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default State of Panther Athletics

Here's Troy's Annual Letter.

Nothing earth shattering other than looking to end being able to go outside at half for football games. You think it's empty in the second half now...

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArtic...FOR_MOBILE=YES
Old 01-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Default Re: State of Panther Athletics

There was this:

"While I don’t anticipate alcohol will be sold through concession stands any time soon, we are pursuing development of club sections in both buildings outside of the existing seating bowl that will serve alcohol during the game. This would likely be open on a membership basis based on PSC standing."

Join PSC.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post

Nothing earth shattering other than looking to end being able to go outside at half for football games. You think it's empty in the second half now...

Nothing earth shattering? The cost of attendance is a BIG DEAL to UNI. The cost to implement and sustain will have an effect on all UNI athletes.
northwest iowa panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
Nothing earth shattering? The cost of attendance is a BIG DEAL to UNI. The cost to implement and sustain will have an effect on all UNI athletes.
Meh, we knew it was coming. We knew the finances.

I would imagine it will start with both basketball teams next year and then they'll look to get it to volleyball and wrestling after that.

It'll never come to football at our level so the costs will be somewhat manageable.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
ronfitch
UNI Alum

There is also note that student attendance for both FB and BB is in decline, despite the teams' success:

"Ticketing. Northern Iowa has the 3rd lowest “get in” price for men’s basketball in the MVC (ticket + seat donation). We don’t expect to finish 8th in the league and never will. However, the market hasn’t supported a price point equal to the standing of the program. Student attendance thus far in 2014-15 is at its lowest point in five years in both football and basketball, while the teams are arguably competing at their highest point in five years. $5 tickets may make the crowd look better, but will not financially sustain successful programs. Conversely, we sold a record number of football season tickets and had our best Thanksgiving weekend playoff crowd. The ticketing area is one of my targeted areas of concern for the upcoming year."

So, they are following the student issue that is hot in another MBB topic here.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
PantherChic

I found his letter very interesting. Obviously the athletic department and other powers-that-be are taking to heart the issues fans have complained about for years. They're working on solutions. Nothing happens fast- unless I win the Powerball, because then most of it's going to UNI in some capacity or other!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
PantherChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Cannic88

Facilities:

Excited about the UNI-Dome project...can't wait to here more.

Where is the Football Operations Center going to be located? I agree this is a great addition.

Basketball practice facility...wasn't there talk about converting the NU gym into one?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
northwest iowa panther

Quote:

I would imagine it will start with both basketball teams next year and then they'll look to get it to volleyball and wrestling after that.

It'll never come to football at our level so the costs will be somewhat manageable.
We had an idea but always held onto the hope it would not pass. With the Power 5 breaking off and able to create their own legislation we will now be forced into a position of making some very hard decisions.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

I think there's a lot of stuff worth talking about in there. Cost of attendance is a big deal, and something we need to be very concerned with, IMO.

Also, he talked about facilities projects such as Dome expansion, a new soccer complex, and a basketball practice facility all being on the radar.

I found this very interesting as well:
Quote:
Development. Later this spring we will announce receipt of a gift which endows one of our head coaching positions. This is a landmark gift and introduces a new way of supporting Panther athletics.
Coach Jake? What could this be?

And:
Quote:
Television. There are plans in the final stages of development at the league level that will significantly enhance our digital presence. When announced in March, those plans will change viewing habits both locally and nationally for UNI and MVC athletics … not just basketball. Bad on-line feeds will be a thing of the past.
MVC going all digital streaming like some other mid-major leagues have done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
We had an idea but always held onto the hope it would not pass. With the Power 5 breaking off and able to create their own legislation we will now be forced into a position of making some very hard decisions.
We're looking at $115k per year. Noticeable? Yes. Budget altering? Not really.

The only way this becomes a huge deal for us it's if the Dakota schools decide to go with it for football, which I don't see, especially since the MAC and Sun Belt don't look to be going that way either.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
JD720

Was just going to post the TV comment. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing those details.
JD720 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannic88 View Post
Basketball practice facility...wasn't there talk about converting the NU gym into one?
The only talk about the NU gym, as far as I know, was on here. Which still, I don't understand why this isn't happening. We had a new-ish gym facility fall right into our lap and could easily be converted into a full time bball practice facility. It seems so obvious. To my knowledge, the building is not even being used by athletics right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

"Student attendance thus far in 2014-15 is at its lowest point in five years in both football and basketball, while the teams are arguably competing at their highest point in five years."

This is sad to read. Makes me even more glad for "I Bleed" and other students who are taking action in this regard. I certainly do as much as I can to encourage students I know to attend.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

"I also anticipate the end of the pass out policy. In other words, when you leave the building, you must purchase a new ticket to re-enter."

So, you think this will make the problem worse? Don't you think that it will help keep people in the building longer?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

"Bad on-line feeds will be a thing of the past."

This will be really nice when it comes to pass.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
"I also anticipate the end of the pass out policy. In other words, when you leave the building, you must purchase a new ticket to re-enter."

So, you think this will make the problem worse? Don't you think that it will help keep people in the building longer?
In games we're way up in ppeople would at least come back in for a portion of the 3rd. People aren't going to sit all the way through halftime to watch the first half of the 3rd, IMO....
Old 01-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #17
PantherChic

So what about going to the McLeod for women's restrooms? Wonder how they'll handle that?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
otter

"We are also targeting growth in PSC membership. Total membership has remained stable but is not growing as we would like. Over half of the first 700 who took the football fan survey were not PSC members, yet they took significant time to complete that survey, showing investment in our program. We have to find new PSC members who are outside of our volunteer network. The interest has been demonstrated. We will focus on growth outside of our traditional membership."

As someone who has been considering joining the PSC from the DSM area I can tell you that:

1. I have never received any type of mailing from PSC/the University about joining.

2. While trying to figure out season tickets for football and how PSC donations work I can tell you that the PSC website is very outdated and a complete mess. I even took a decent amount of time to put a large list of problems that I found with the PSC website and email one of the people only to get a response about the first item so I assume none of the others were reviewed.

3. There was a drawing for a helmet or something else is existing members renewed by a certain date I believe, but there was no drawing for new members....why not have that extra carrot for new members as well.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #19
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherChic View Post
I found his letter very interesting. Obviously the athletic department and other powers-that-be are taking to heart the issues fans have complained about for years. They're working on solutions. Nothing happens fast- unless I win the Powerball, because then most of it's going to UNI in some capacity or other!
As if someone in the AD regularly reads Panthernation (cause if they don't, they oughta be ... lots of chaff here, but also a lot of good ideas and observations).
Old 01-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
UNIpanther99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
The only talk about the NU gym, as far as I know, was on here. Which still, I don't understand why this isn't happening. We had a new-ish gym facility fall right into our lap and could easily be converted into a full time bball practice facility. It seems so obvious. To my knowledge, the building is not even being used by athletics right now.
Completely agree. Unfortunately, now with the improved support facilities for MBB at McLeod, it wouldn't make sense to have them trudge over to the Price Lab gym for practice every day. What about adding bleachers to the large open east end of that gym and turning it into a first class space for WBB and Volleyball? That would (in theory) free of the McLeod more for MBB to use for practice.

It's a really nice gym that should be used in some way. It's a shame to see it sit empty.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
PantherChic

It's used...just not sure how often. My daughter had volleyball there and Ruby Gymnastics uses it for the meet they host each year. Not that those are enough..just saying that it is used by the community.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
"We are also targeting growth in PSC membership. Total membership has remained stable but is not growing as we would like. Over half of the first 700 who took the football fan survey were not PSC members, yet they took significant time to complete that survey, showing investment in our program. We have to find new PSC members who are outside of our volunteer network. The interest has been demonstrated. We will focus on growth outside of our traditional membership."

As someone who has been considering joining the PSC from the DSM area I can tell you that:

1. I have never received any type of mailing from PSC/the University about joining.

2. While trying to figure out season tickets for football and how PSC donations work I can tell you that the PSC website is very outdated and a complete mess. I even took a decent amount of time to put a large list of problems that I found with the PSC website and email one of the people only to get a response about the first item so I assume none of the others were reviewed.

3. There was a drawing for a helmet or something else is existing members renewed by a certain date I believe, but there was no drawing for new members....why not have that extra carrot for new members as well.
Not to toot my own horn, but I have joined on this year as a new volunteer member of the PSC fundraising team. I'm excited to get started with kickoff next weekend. There is so much I don't know about the PSC and I'm anxious to learn. I hope to push membership. My understanding, and one of the reasons I was recruited, is that they are definitely needing to branch out in terms of who they talk to as they are growing a little stagnant there. Please feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in joining, and you can probably assume I'll be reaching out to you soon.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #23
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

I just had time to finish this letter and I appreciated this piece:

"All of the pieces are in place at UNI for everything we want to achieve. I do get frustrated at times when we focus so much on what we don’t have that we forget to focus on our assets. What we do have is the best overall program in the Missouri Valley Conference. We are achieving excellence is every area an athletic program must seek excellence, with a group of student athletes, coaches and staff who have demonstrated the ability to be excellent in the right way.

My message as we start 2015 is to expect, even demand excellence at levels heretofore unseen, but at the same time pause to appreciate what we have. UNI Panther athletics is aspirational for others, thanks to our friends, our alums, our coaches, and most of all, our student-athletes."

I agree with this whole-heartedly. While I think we must always strive to improve and get better, we cannot lose sight of how far we've come. I know it's said so often on here but I was around for the Sam Weaver years and before that. If we would have been able to see into the future back then, we wouldn't have been able to believe what we saw coming. We have a staff and an administration that is working very hard to continue to push the envelope and give us an opportunity to be even better than we are. But where we are is not bad at all. In fact, it's pretty great.

I also think we have members on here, who though very often there is bickering and disagreement, can do their part to help. Whether its members of the new FAC, PSC members or fundraisers, students that are trying to recruit more students, or people who are simply getting the word out and inviting people to games that have never come before... we can all help play a part. I'm not passing out a bunch of Kool-Aid boxes. But I always try really hard to see things as glass half full. I make no exception here.

End rant.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #24
ubuntuCAT

Quote:

why does the COE have to be gender equitable? Is that an NCAA thing or a UNI thing. Even so I would think the first Women's sport to get it would be Volleyball and not Basketball.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #25
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
why does the COE have to be gender equitable? Is that an NCAA thing or a UNI thing. Even so I would think the first Women's sport to get it would be Volleyball and not Basketball.
Title IX. An aggressive attorney would suggest that 60% of scholarship funds should given to females, to reflect student body makeup.

Last edited by Trapped in California; 01-21-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #26
Cat80

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post

Otter: PM me if you want and I'll meet with you and tell whatever you want to know. I am not an official volunteer, but can give you all you need to know. I'm in the DSM area.
Cat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #27
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Title IX. An aggressive attorney would suggest that 60% of scholarship funds should given to females, to reflect student body makeup.
Yes the overall athletic participation (rosters) must reflect the % of female and male enrollment numbers. Most state universities I would believe have more males than females--we are just abnormal in this regard. Consequently funding must match the same, dropping men's swimming, baseball and not adding men's sports such as soccer when we added women's soccer helps put the roster numbers in sync with the enrollement %.

Last edited by northwest iowa panther; 01-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
Panther-Sheik

FWIW, anyone that has heard about, been invited to or been to TC's Tailgate in Des Moines...that is a PSC event and there is always literature about the PSC and a spiel about the PSC given by Troy, Kerry Dickerson or someone from the Athletic Department. Everyone that is at the event is always asked to join the PSC and support the Panthers through joining the Club. I know they are expanding the TC's Tailgates, too. This year there was one in Cedar Rapids, I believe, and I hope they add NW Iowa or other areas that don't get as much opportunity to see and meet our coaches and teams. Those are great events and I hope if you haven't been to one yet you will try to make it if in the area.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #29
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:
Yes the overall athletic participation (rosters) must reflect the % of female and male enrollment numbers. Most state universities I would believe have more males than females--we are just abnormal in this regard. Consequently funding must match the same, dropping men's swimming, baseball and not adding men's sports such as soccer when we added women's soccer helps put the roster numbers in sync with the enrollement %.
Actually, the national trend is to higher female enrollment % and graduation % generally. Plenty of exceptions by school, major, etc.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #30
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
UNI is just over 56 percent female, on par with overall nationwide enrollment at public universities for the latest numbers I found (2008 numbers cited in a 2012 Forbes article, http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/201...io-in-college/).

According to U.S. News:

Iowa Publics:
UNI:56.9 female/43.1 male
Iowa State: 43/57
Iowa:52/48

MVC Publics:
South Dakota: 63 female/37 male
SDSU: 52/48
North Dakota: 43/57
NDSU: 44/56
Wichita State: 52/48
Illinois State: 55/45
Southern Illinois: 45/55
Indiana State: 54/46
Missouri State: 57/43
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #31
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
UNI is just over 56 percent female, on par with overall nationwide enrollment at public universities for the latest numbers I found (2008 numbers cited in a 2012 Forbes article, http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/201...io-in-college/).

According to U.S. News:

Iowa Publics:

MVC Publics:
Those figures go to show why there are fewer men's sports offered in the MVC by conference schools. Even the schools not offering football or scholarship football don't have as many men's teams. Wrestling is the most notable. Baseball by Drake and ourselves.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post

According to U.S. News:

Iowa Publics:

MVC Publics:
Quote:
Those figures go to show why there are fewer men's sports offered in the MVC by conference schools. Even the schools not offering football or scholarship football don't have as many men's teams. Wrestling is the most notable. Baseball by Drake and ourselves.
And further illustrates why the sheep in North Dakota are especially anxious.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
otter

Thanks for the offers on PSC. It took awhile and eventually calls/emails to the ticket office and PSC but I think I finally figured out what I needed to know.

I am guessing PSC website isn't frequented too often after people become members, but as a potential new member and as somone who likes to do my own research without calling/emailing I found the PSC website a hot mess. I found my email that I whipped up when I had a free second several months ago and below are my ideas (minus screenshots I provided). I mean even knowing who to contact at PSC isn't very clear...there isn't a contact this person for questions. Its three names and contact information and the titles don't help tell me who to contact. The first person I did try was a grad student who had graduated 6 months prior who luckily still had access to his uni email.

Also, I remember stopping by the season ticket table at the last regular season football game and filling out a sheet saying I was interested in football season tickets and then talked to the guy for a moment. He told sounds great expect to hear from me in the next couple days......I still haven't heard from them. Also, unless I am missing something, there is nothing about 2015 football season tickets online other than a press release I found via google. Nothing if I go to the football homepage and nothing if I go to the football ticket webpage. Why are they not promoting PSC and 2015 football season tickets now since if you join PSC and buy season tickets by April 1st you receive a $10 discount per ticket. Just feels like there are plenty of marketing opportunities being missed.

Here are my comments on the PSC that quickly put together and emailed hoping they may provide some benefit:
•There are old links such as under Giving Levels and Benefits it shows the 2013 Benefit Chart. If this doesn’t change very much from year to year maybe think about just calling the link Benefit Chart. Old football seating charts, etc.
•This may be my older browser, but the home screen has a lot of unused, white space where my red scribble is.
•All of the links on the left side don’t flow through to the pages you go to. In my opinion all of the links on the left side should be in the same location and layout for each page you enter into to help navigate and to avoid having to go back. Some pages have something similar to this built in at the top, but not all; such as the Board of Director page or About PSC – My rough idea is shown below.

Also when you click on About PSC it brings up a new, separate page which is unnecessary.
•One thing I had a tough time figuring out was season football tickets and I had to email both PSC and the ticket office. A couple things would help. 1. Right now your football information is under your Join Now page so unless you are ready to join you might never find the information you want. Maybe add a separate football page or try to combine with McLeod seating points. 2. The information for football season tickets looks to be geared towards when the donation levels were implemented. It would be helpful to have something for new members and explain the process. From Joining PSC, Buying Season Tickets, When will you select your seats, How do they decide who goes first; etc.
•Parents to Join the PSC – I am not sure what this tab is supposed to be/mean, but it takes me to what appears to be an online Pledge Form.
•The Join the Panther Scholarship Club Now under the Join PSC tab gives me an error page when I click on the link. It might be helpful to make it clear you can mail in your pledge or do it online.
•A couple minor things I wasn’t sure of on the benefit chart. What is the Recognition Plague? Is it something that we receive for our office/house or is it something that is hung somewhere on campus. What is the Season-Long Football Half-Time Passes? Might be helpful to have a little more information.
•If possible consolidate the number of pages/tabs
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #34
UNIAlum95
Purple and Gold

Otter - Agree very much on the state of the website and unfortunately it is not a new problem. They have struggled with the PSC site for years. I suspect it is just a lack of resources but as you highlight, it looks really bad for those just browsing for information.

If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times
UNIAlum95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
01PantherFan

Send a message via MSN to 01PantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
Otter - Agree very much on the state of the website and unfortunately it is not a new problem. They have struggled with the PSC site for years. I suspect it is just a lack of resources but as you highlight, it looks really bad for those just browsing for information.

It shouldnt be that tough I wouldnt think, there are tons of sites to build websites out there ! I do one for a non profit group cost like 50 bucks a year to have the pro version is all and its super simple, hardest part is just takes time to set up ( adding photos, getting the look desired ect... )